Liverpool Thread 2011/12

Rafalution

• Replies 13.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Says a whole hell of a lot more about the town than Daaaaave, but then that surprises noone

So you'd expect people to just sit there and be called Yobs etc? He is clueless and doesn't know what he is talking about regarding SOS.

Edit: Also a nice stereotypical dig at scousers even though it's probably better than most other cities in the UK. Well done.

Says a whole hell of a lot more about the town than Daaaaave, but then that surprises noone

my working assumption is that fans like richardson are a primary reason why some liverpudlians choose to support everton. zaitsev and the rest of those guys have their quirks, but nothing like this.

So you'd expect people to just sit there and be called Yobs etc? He is clueless and doesn't know what he is talking about regarding SOS.

Edit: Also a nice stereotypical dig at scousers even though it's probably better than most other cities in the UK. Well done.

Nicely done, it was actually meant as praise for Daaaaave but you took it as a slight on scousers. But then, what else would you expect from someone from Self Pity City?

You see, that was actually a dig at the scouser stereotype :brock:

my working assumption is that fans like richardson are a primary reason why some liverpudlians choose to support everton. zaitsev and the rest of those guys have their quirks, but nothing like this.

Haha again you don't 'choose' to support Everton or Liverpool. Most just follow their Dad as he takes you the match. Not like you lot in America carefully selecting which side to support from England haha.

Nicely done, it was actually meant as praise for Daaaaave but you took it as a slight on scousers. But then, what else would you expect from someone from Self Pity City?

You see, that was actually a dig at the scouser stereotype :brock:

Fair enough I must have read it the wrong way. Self pity city, very original. I don't self pity at all. Proud to be from Liverpool haven't been to any other city in the UK I'd rather live in. Only one I've actually liked that much is Bristol, nice place and friendly enough people.

Haha again you don't 'choose' to support Everton or Liverpool. Most just follow their Dad as he takes you the match. Not like you lot in America carefully selecting which side to support from England haha.

wow. nothing says PASSION like getting your club picked for you. just like the torrid romance of an arranged marriage. nothing says true commitment like the lack of free will. then again, you strike me as someone who probably needs most big decisions made for him.

It wasn't meant to be original ffs, then it can't be a stereotypical joke! :herman:

Gets boring though. Hear it every weekend at the footy from away fans I do wish people came up with something more than self pity, bin dippers,robbing stereos etc.

wow. nothing says PASSION like getting your club picked for you. just like the torrid romance of an arranged marriage. nothing says true commitment like the lack of free will. then again, you strike me as someone who probably needs most big decisions made for him.

Haha no it breeds the passion. Every day you live with the rivalry. Liverpool is a football obsessed city on the whole and it's just a way of life for a lot of people. I find the passion does come from the fact that the club are playing for our city as well. We have to put up with all the songs about scousers etc, it makes you more passionate about it.

Also again generalising about a person you have never met. I'm doing more than ok thanks, made all my decision on my own too :thup:

It was ****, all the windows had been smashed and the chocolates stolen :brock:

Note that there were no promises about the actual quality of the joke (or the complete lack thereof)

luckily that hasn't been a problem for the players lately since it only seemed to happen while they were away in europe.

maybe you should find a more productive obsession, mate.

Why? People work and spend their money going to the footy nothing wrong with that. The you go out after it on the ale talk about it for a bit then get on with your night out. Also gets discussed a lot on breaks in work etc because the city is pretty much 50/50 red and blue so there is always something to talk about.

Fair enough I must have read it the wrong way. Self pity city, very original. I don't self pity at all. Proud to be from Liverpool haven't been to any other city in the UK I'd rather live in. Only one I've actually liked that much is Bristol, nice place and friendly enough people.

You sound more like you've never ever been out of the UK, or even the city

You sound more like you've never ever been out of the UK, or even the city

Well I've lived outside of the city before in Leicester, also spent a lot of time in Manchester, London, Nottingham and Bristol and have visited most other cities in the country at least once.

Also go on holiday at least once a year as well as to European cities for the footy on top of that. So a bit off the mark.

Why? People work and spend their money going to the footy nothing wrong with that. The you go out after it on the ale talk about it for a bit then get on with your night out. Also gets discussed a lot on breaks in work etc because the city is pretty much 50/50 red and blue so there is always something to talk about.

because when you (and I mean you specifically) define yourself solely by slavish devotion to a club and a group of deluded oiks because your da supported them it tends to make you a bit of a plank. it makes you do things like cry on tv, burn flags and talk a bunch of nonsense to people who know better.

the key word in that sentence was "obsession". obsessing about things tends to blinker you into saying things like "rafa out, roy in" because the team didn't have enough "english spine" as you said a couple of years ago. obsession doesn't allow you to see the well established fact that kenny is not cut out to be a manager in this day and age. obsession means careening from one myopic, reactionary opinion to another. obsession means finding something earnest and noble about a group of pikeys calling themselves guardians of a club and getting increasingly irate when everyone laughs them off. obsession is spending ages talking about what a big club should and shouldn't do while maligning everyone who didn't grow up within a couple km of your hovel. obsession makes people into preachy, one note, humorless, badgering zealots. and the funny thing about zealots is that no one, from board to media to other fans, want to hear from a zealot because they already know what the zealot is going to say and a one-sided conversation is a conversation not worth having.

I'm sure they will. They must be aware of the fact that there were mass protests against the last owners. If they allowed a similar situation to occur then in the long run the value of the club would decrease. SOS were the main people organising the protests so must be respected by the owners.

Also it is better than nobody trying to do anything and just ignoring any problems. Obviously people on here such as yourself wont be as passionate as the lads who run SOS because you have second clubs and live in different countries etc. but it doesn't mean that their efforts or effectiveness should just be laughed off.

I havent heard one person from outside of Liverpool be any more than neutral towards SOS.

Aside from that, your second paragraph reads from some sort of propaganda paraphernalia. Its backwards to think like that.

I agree I'm really worried about FSG at the moment. I know most of you don't like them but this is where it's great having SOS. A really well organised group that will put pressure on the owners to be more open with the supporters.

Liverpool were hours away from going into administration until FSG took over and paid out £240 million debt leaving a £30 million working debt

HSG gave our hero Dalglish a chance to manage the club and gave him £110 million to spend. Doesn't matter if it includes sales he spent £110 million, the owners didn't keep any money for themselves. Spurs got Frideal on a free along with Saha and Adebayour on load. Arsenal didn't spend until they sold Cesc so whats the problem with FSG? Give them a chance. I agree they should be in Liverpool and be nice to know whats going on with the new stadium but other than that can't fault them too much.

Unemployment banter I would just say reply with thank you very much for paying our giro thank you very much thank you very very much to the tune of the quality streets advert ;)

I havent heard one person from outside of Liverpool be any more than neutral towards SOS.

Aside from that, your second paragraph reads from some sort of propaganda paraphernalia. Its backwards to think like that.

it's a masterclass is self-important delusion. paragraph one: passion means blackmailing the club into doing what you want them to do. paragraph two: I don't understand why educated fans of a global club haven't warmed up to a gang of nativist clods.

because when you (and I mean you specifically) define yourself solely by slavish devotion to a club and a group of deluded oiks because your da supported them it tends to make you a bit of a plank. it makes you do things like cry on tv, burn flags and talk a bunch of nonsense to people who know better.

the key word in that sentence was "obsession". obsessing about things tends to blinker you into saying things like "rafa out, roy in" because the team didn't have enough "english spine" as you said a couple of years ago. obsession doesn't allow you to see the well established fact that kenny is not cut out to be a manager in this day and age. obsession means careening from one myopic, reactionary opinion to another. obsession means finding something earnest and noble about a group of pikeys calling themselves guardians of a club and getting increasingly irate when everyone laughs them off. obsession is spending ages talking about what a big club should and shouldn't do while maligning everyone who didn't grow up within a couple km of your hovel. obsession makes people into preachy, one note, humorless, badgering zealots. and the funny thing about zealots is that no one, from board to media to other fans, want to hear from a zealot because they already know what the zealot is going to say and a one-sided conversation is a conversation not worth having.

So again you are making a major generalisation on me without meeting me. If you think I'm defined by my devotion to the club you are very wrong. I wasn't at the majority of the protests I was living away from the city at the time. Would never burn a flag although I can see why that has obviously angered you.

Are you still talking about me when talking about Rafa out Roy in? If so again competely wrong. I never wanted Rafa gone. I want him back now. I don't want any British players signed this summer. I don't rate them as much as foreign players.

Again pikeys. Do you know what pikeys are?

These zealots you talk of must be in our media then. Tony Barrett and Tony Evans to name two. They are fully supportive of SOS. I'm not against foreign supporters at all. We need them I know this. I'm actually friends with some foreign supporters and sort tickets etc out for them. I have a problem with foreign supporters like you. You have just described Liverpool as a 'hovel' yet you support the team. You laugh off supporters who do nothing but good for the club. You show no respect for them whatsoever even though they are what make the club what it is. All the banners on the kop are sorted by lads who are members of SOS. Without them we would be just another club. The lads in the SOS do so much for the club and yet all you do is look down on them. It's actually ridiculous.

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/branches

More than neutral.

Liverpool were hours away from going into administration until FSG took over and paid out £240 million debt leaving a £30 million working debt

HSG gave our hero Dalglish a chance to manage the club and gave him £110 million to spend. Doesn't matter if it includes sales he spent £110 million, the owners didn't keep any money for themselves. Spurs got Frideal on a free along with Saha and Adebayour on load. Arsenal didn't spend until they sold Cesc so whats the problem with FSG? Give them a chance. I agree they should be in Liverpool and be nice to know whats going on with the new stadium but other than that can't fault them too much.

Unemployment banter I would just say reply with thank you very much for paying our giro thank you very much thank you very very much to the tune of the quality streets advert ;)

Yeah the unemployment banter doesn't bother me. Sing that at most aways.

I can understand what you're saying but don't think they bought the club for any other reason than it was a bargain. They know if they run it properly it will be worth a lot more than what they paid.

Also wasn't all of that money just what the club makes anyway once you take away the interest and loan repayments we had?

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/about/aims

Don't necessarily agree with everything but the main aim is fan representation.They make agendas from what members bring up at meetings from all over the world and look to address the issues that supporters have.

Aims arent the same as what theyve achieved. What have they achieved thus far?

I will however state that an ultimate "aim" of "supporting ownership of LFC" shows how barmy it really is. Why do they only aim to support the owners?

So again you are making a major generalisation on me without meeting me.

why would I need to meet you? are your words here also your dad's and not your own? you have nearly a thousand posts as this sock and a couple thousand more as richardson. why is that not enough to judge your character?

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/branches

More than neutral.

Yeah the unemployment banter doesn't bother me. Sing that at most aways.

I can understand what you're saying but don't think they bought the club for any other reason than it was a bargain. They know if they run it properly it will be worth a lot more than what they paid.

Also wasn't all of that money just what the club makes anyway once you take away the interest and loan repayments we had?

Made a loss of £50 million last year and they won't make any profits in the short term as they need a new stadium and need to spend to build a decent squad. Other clubs don't have owners who will will let the club spend what they earn let alone pump money into it. I will judge them after the transfer window and see who the new manager is and what the results are like after 10 games as they will have been at the club 2 years in October I think.

You show no respect for them whatsoever even though they are what make the club what it is. All the banners on the kop are sorted by lads who are members of SOS. Without them we would be just another club. The lads in the SOS do so much for the club and yet all you do is look down on them. It's actually ridiculous.

literally choked. I guess sos invented the banner.

I would agree with you though that appearances seem to indicate that they have made people think they are the average fan. so good for them? nice to see the esteem for the liverpool fan on such an obvious rise in the league and around the world.

Aims arent the same as what theyve achieved. What have they achieved thus far?

I will however state that an ultimate "aim" of "supporting ownership of LFC" shows how barmy it really is. Why do they only aim to support the owners?

No the ultimate aim is supporter ownership as in supporters owning part of the club like German clubs.

Well whether people agree or not the were influential in getting rid of H&G - The marches gained a lot of media attention, they made a lot of information they found out public, they unified the support who were actively looking to get involved in getting rid of them.

Cheap travel for supporters-This is a very good thing they have done it has really made it more affordable to get to aways now for people.

Supporters committee - they have members on the supporters committee which will help to get fan issues heard at board level

Football Quarter -This ties in with their aims of helping both the club and Anfield as an area. They are coming up with a proposal which you can read up on here http://www.spiritofshankly.com/representation/football-quarter

Charity - They have helped raise a great amount of funds for a number of local charities.

These are from the top of my head. I'm not heavily involved I just use the cheap away travel mainly.

Made a loss of £50 million last year and they won't make any profits in the short term as they need a new stadium and need to spend to build a decent squad. Other clubs don't have owners who will will let the club spend what they earn let alone pump money into it. I will judge them after the transfer window and see who the new manager is and what the results are like after 10 games as they will have been at the club 2 years in October I think.

Weren't the last accounts released including the final part of the H&G reign though? And are you sure that they have pumped their own money in? Fair play if they have I must have missed it.

But even if they have they are probably thinking that if they put it in they will still make a profit when they sell the club. I'm not convinced they are at the club for the long term.

literally choked. I guess sos invented the banner.

I would agree with you though that appearances seem to indicate that they have made people think they are the average fan. so good for them? nice to see the esteem for the liverpool fan on such an obvious rise in the league and around the world.

Did I say SOS do the banners? I said members do them, nothing to do with SOS but they are in it.

Well whether people agree or not the were influential in getting rid of H&G - The marches gained a lot of media attention, they made a lot of information they found out public, they unified the support who were actively looking to get involved in getting rid of them.

yes. whether or not it's actually factual, you will continue to assert that they were influential without contributing a single piece of corraborating evidence. we got it.

No the ultimate aim is supporter ownership as in supporters owning part of the club like German clubs.

Cheap travel for supporters-This is a very good thing they have done it has really made it more affordable to get to aways now for people.

Supporters committee - they have members on the supporters committee which will help to get fan issues heard at board level

Football Quarter -This ties in with their aims of helping both the club and Anfield as an area. They are coming up with a proposal which you can read up on here http://www.spiritofshankly.com/representation/football-quarter

Charity - They have helped raise a great amount of funds for a number of local charities.

These are from the top of my head. I'm not heavily involved I just use the cheap away travel mainly.

Apologies about the first bit - I misread it, you are indeed correct on that part.

I would be very much of the opinion that H&G left because they were in a lot of debt, not because of the media attention or any marches had. If they hadn't ran out of money and Liverpool could have made them a profit theyd still be here, regardless of SOS marching from Lands End to John O'Groats and back. This is a cause and effect matter here, and i think its more realistic to state that SOS just happened to have a lot of marches and leaflets around the time H&G wanted to leave. That, of course, doesnt mean that they helped or that they were responsible for their dethroning. It was simply a financial thing.

Charity is a valiant cause, naturally, but its not really linked into what SOS have done for the club and its day to day running so I shall not discuss that here. Cheap travel is obviously a good thing too, but conversely it just makes SOS a glorified supporters club, and I dont particularly want any supporter club with its elected from within "board members" being the link between the board and any fan. Thus, while the supporters commmittee in theory sounds good, the above invalidates it for me. Additionally, I dont think the board should be being advised by SOS, nor do I think theyll pay particular heed - if they think something is worthwhile for the club they will plough ahead.

The Football Quarter point is a bit of an oddity in my book. Again, its a noble cause, but all theyve done is made a proposal and asked people to sign a petition? They dont actually own any of the land, and they are asking other people to come in and redevelop land. Is that correct? Again, that will only be redeveloped if its financially viable for the developers, not because SOS have created an online petition.

I will state that I appreciate your side of things - having a large group formalises matters and it can be good to meet with likeminded individuals with a platform to air views, but while their aims are noble, and some of their actions (mainly the charity giving) are great, a lot of it is basic lip service.

with the financial fair play beeing intoduced and liverpool needing to either redevolpe Anfield or move to a new ground i actually think the Liverpool job is looking harder and harder.

that financing wouldn't count towards ffp

It's been days that's all days give them a chance geez.
Exactly. People are acting as though it's been months.

it's the problem of instant access to information. no news and people assume it is bad news. people should realise that it is not in the clubs best interest to give a play-by-play account of what is happening.

Well whether people agree or not the were influential in getting rid of H&G - The marches gained a lot of media attention' date=' they made a lot of information they found out public, they unified the support who were actively looking to get involved in getting rid of them.[/quote']

they arranged for G&H to run out of money?

Weren't the last accounts released including the final part of the H&G reign though? And are you sure that they have pumped their own money in? Fair play if they have I must have missed it.

But even if they have they are probably thinking that if they put it in they will still make a profit when they sell the club. I'm not convinced they are at the club for the long term.

Did I say SOS do the banners? I said members do them, nothing to do with SOS but they are in it.

Noty sure if it was their money but there is no debt on the club apart from the £30 million working capital. I know the owners are not in there because they love the club, they are looking to make some money but as long as the run the club the right way don't put us in debt and allow us to spend what we earn I am reasonabley happy with that.

kopite, can you please list the grievances you have with fsg?

I can guess a few

Owners in America when they should be here searching for a new manager and other staff

No news about a new stadium

Sacked Dalglish

Not using any of their money for transfers

Apologies about the first bit - I misread it, you are indeed correct on that part.

I would be very much of the opinion that H&G left because they were in a lot of debt, not because of the media attention or any marches had. If they hadn't ran out of money and Liverpool could have made them a profit theyd still be here, regardless of SOS marching from Lands End to John O'Groats and back. This is a cause and effect matter here, and i think its more realistic to state that SOS just happened to have a lot of marches and leaflets around the time H&G wanted to leave. That, of course, doesnt mean that they helped or that they were responsible for their dethroning. It was simply a financial thing.

Charity is a valiant cause, naturally, but its not really linked into what SOS have done for the club and its day to day running so I shall not discuss that here. Cheap travel is obviously a good thing too, but conversely it just makes SOS a glorified supporters club, and I dont particularly want any supporter club with its elected from within "board members" being the link between the board and any fan. Thus, while the supporters commmittee in theory sounds good, the above invalidates it for me. Additionally, I dont think the board should be being advised by SOS, nor do I think theyll pay particular heed - if they think something is worthwhile for the club they will plough ahead.

The Football Quarter point is a bit of an oddity in my book. Again, its a noble cause, but all theyve done is made a proposal and asked people to sign a petition? They dont actually own any of the land, and they are asking other people to come in and redevelop land. Is that correct? Again, that will only be redeveloped if its financially viable for the developers, not because SOS have created an online petition.

I will state that I appreciate your side of things - having a large group formalises matters and it can be good to meet with likeminded individuals with a platform to air views, but while their aims are noble, and some of their actions (mainly the charity giving) are great, a lot of it is basic lip service.

In regards to removing H&G I think they did a lot more than that. They organsed mass email campaigns directly to people involved in potentially refinancing the club again (something which very nearly happened). They also started email campaigns to sponsors of the club and any other companies with ties to H&G. They basically helped to raise awareness to a lot of different parties. Not saying they single handedly got rid of them but they did help.

As I said earlier I don't agree with everything they do, I don't know enough about the Football Quarter but from what I have read it seems a bit of a waste of time, as I say I don't know enough about it to form a proper opinion though.

I just think if you look at the way German clubs are run it is brilliant in comparison to English. The only way we will ever get close to that is by having a group large enough to raise the funds to buy the club. Then once that has happened to be able to elect members to sit on the board and hire the necessary people etc. It works over there why can't it here?

The main reason I'm arguing it so strongly is because of Daaaave. The way he speaks about it is disrespectful and extremely ignorant. Fair enough if you don't agree with the group but any Liverpool must surely admire fans for wanting the best for the club?

We have to be more wary of these owners. I'm struggling to think of an English club run well by Americans to be honest. I heard the other day Utd are paying a ridiculous amount of money on interest and that their spending won't last forever. Look at Villa since Lerner took over, we have struggled since having American owners. Am I missing anyone? Is Arsenals owner American but there is also a Russian with a huge stake?

it's the problem of instant access to information. no news and people assume it is bad news. people should realise that it is not in the clubs best interest to give a play-by-play account of what is happening.

they arranged for G&H to run out of money?

it's already been widely reported that the club will officially hire their comolli replacements before they hire the manager because they don't want it to seem like he'll be undermined right off the bat. so any sense that there should be a mad rush or else disaster is completely fabricated in the minds of fans.

I can guess a few

Owners in America when they should be here searching for a new manager and other staff

No news about a new stadium

Sacked Dalglish

Not using any of their money for transfers

Pretty much. I haven't got a whole lot of grievances at the moment. My main problem is the lack of leadership from them, the fact they aren't here and the fact we have no clear strategy or direction.

What worries me is how poorly they seem to be doing their job. I'm glad SOS is getting involved now so we can start adding pressure before things go terribly wrong whether they listen or not.

Fair enough if you don't agree with the group but any Liverpool must surely admire fans for wanting the best for the club?

and yet so many fans on here don't. they must have not had the right dad to teach them the history of blind obedience to any group that claims to speak for them.

and yet so many fans on here don't. they must have not had the right dad to teach them the history of blind obedience to any group that claims to speak for them.

Haha insecurity over the fact you chose your team. My dad stopped going the match before SOS so all views are my own :thup:

Archived