FM08 : Olympique Lyon : Les Gones

Purefun

Originally posted by Barnetboyz:

do people keep the starting assistant manager or do they replace him? as imo he looks fairly poor, who do peopel use as i've just sacked mine icon_biggrin.gif

I picked up Carlos Quieroz after he left Man United when Sir Alex Ferguson's contract expired.

He's great icon_smile.gif

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

End of season update

First of all many thanks to those who helped me getting started, I really have enjoyed Lyon the most over any other team, it's been brill, I am going to leave the club as I said at the start but I will be back... Especially if we play like we did all season.

http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/platform_images/blank.gif

Bold - UBBCodeâ„¢

Ligue 1 Orange

Things started off slow getting beat 1st game to PSG and grinding out a few draws but once they got used to the tactic we were off, we took 1st place afer about 8 games and established a 3 point lead, from then thats were we remained with a really solid middle of the season, towards the end we wer plagued by a few injures to key players and suspensions, fatigue played a part to and we started conceding and drawing more, never the less we won the League by 14 points over Marseile our closest rivals.

French Cup

Can't say there was to many memorable matches had here, won the competition comfortably with a 3-0 win (Fred hat-trick) over Valenciennes FC who finished 14th in the league, despite the poor finishing place they qualife for Uefa cup next season.

Coupe De Ligue

Another fairly straight forward competition, although when drawn against Stade Rennais FC in the Final I was worried, we'd met twice in previous weeks where we drew 1-1, then I battled out a 2-1 victory, but in the all important game, I saw them off with a 2-1 victory, although when Briand scored in the 9th minute I feared the worst.

Champions Tropy

I beat FC Sochaux 4-3 in what seemed like a game with no defence, it was nice to win a trophy so early in my career.

Champions League

Well icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif)icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif...... I'm still smiling about this,

When the draw for group stages was made and I got Arsenal, Lazio and Shaktar my hopes of progressing were depleted.

1st game to arsenal at home battled hard, dominated got a 1-1 draw, then i had to go to lazio, this is where I thought we'd get a whalloping, but how wron was I.. we won the game 7-3.

The two ties to Shaktar i won 3-0, then I went to The Emirates to win 3-1 and Lazio at home 4-3 victory saw me come out group winners.

I hoped for an easy draw in the knockout round....no such luck....Sporting... however we got a late goal away to win 1-0 then back at our "fortress" came out victorious in a 3-2 victory

Now I had confidence we could beat most teams, aslong as we didnt get the big boys...next up Chelsea..great lol!

At home we went in at the break 2-0 up and i knew it was looking good, they came out strong and made it 2-1, 2 more goals from Benzema made it 4-1 in the 85th minute, but the ref signals 3 minutes of stoppage time, plays 9 and chelsea score 2 in injury time, I win the 1st leg 4-3.

Going to Stamford Bridge i wasnt confident but we didnt let them get on the ball and won 2-0.

Semi - final - Real Madrid - 1-1 at home i was thinking we'd definitely lose especially with there away goal, went to the Bernabeau(sp?) 2-1 down at half time i tell the players to go enjoy themselves and theres no pressure we end up drawing 3-3 i win on away goals.

THE FINAL!! Barcelona, I had the belief, the players had the belief, and my god what a game, i cant describe it so heres a SS of it, we won!!

Benzema5.jpg?t=1205947577

Transfers In

S.Grax - £2m

C.Samba - £925k

J.Mathieu - £4m

H.Saivet - Free

M.Fernandez - £8.2m

J.Menez - £9m

T.Huddlestone - Loan

Out

S. Govou - £5m

K.Kallstrom - £5.25

S.Grax - £2m

J. Hartock - Loan

Alot players sold had clauses after appearnces aswell as these intitial fees.

So thats it I won everything lol picked up various awards along the way, so did the players, not been asked about new contract or anything yet but I'm going to be leaving anyway, Holland or Portugal next for me I think.

Hope this hasnt bored you all and thanks for the help once again.

Congrats on your season mate! Great result in the CL Benzema is class no doubt icon_smile.gif

I have no doubt you will come back to Lyon, maybe you will even start a long term Lyon project some time/some day. Lyon is a great challenge!

Best of luck in your next job if you do quit icon14.gif

I think you should stay tho, and build on your first season success ;D

Cheers guys after having a look around the job situations, I declared intrest with Heerenveen, Bayern Munich, Zaragoza and Valencia,

Valencia sacked Koeman and ofered me the job so I'm off to conquer the Spanish Leagues, was so hard to resist making a stupid transfer so all my players went to Valencia lol.

End of Season 3

Overall i'm happy with how things went. Obviously our Champions League exit at the hands of Real Madrid was dissapointing but we did well at home, despite only managing a 1-1 draw, we deserved to win after dominating the game. However in the away leg, despite coming back twice to 2-2 they won 4-2 in a pretty even game. The Rossi-Aguero partnership tore us apart.. with Aguero scoring in the first leg and a hat-trick in the second. Real's 130m spent over the last two seasons showed.

Still, we dominated domesticaly, although the standard of the french teams is definately improving. The Cups were difficult at times this year.. St Etienne deserved to beat us in the League Cup.

Summary

League - Winners (32/4/2 - 100 points - + 79 G.D

League Cup - Winners (1-1 vs St Etienne, 4-3 on Pens)

French Cup - Winners (3-1 vs PSG)

Champions Trophy - Winners (2-1 vs Marseille)

Champions League - Quater Final (3-5 Real Madrid on Agg.)

Euro Super Cup - Winner (1-0 Arsenal)

Club World Championships - Winners (2-0 Racing Club)

Players

* Benzema was the star of the team this year, scoring 55 goals (34 in the league) in 48 apps, with an average rating of 7.79. He picked up top scorer/best player in both the league and CL, amongst numerous other awards.

* Nasri had a fantastic first season and proved to be a great bit of business on my part. He bagged 12 goals and

31 assists, with an average rating of 7.56 in 40 games.

Transfers

Nothing arranged so far. I dont expect much activity in the market this summer. Our youth team is bursting with talent, i've never experienced anything quite like it. There's 4, maybe 5, youngsters who look like they have the potential to become first team regulars.

Has anyone used Said Mehamha on their game? He's developing very nicely. Another season on loan and he may well be pushing for a first team slot.

The big clubs have been chasing M.Veloso for two seasons now and i've turned down bids of 20m, however, if I get an offer of 25-30m i will look to offload him. I have the very promising Younousse Sankhare back from loan and ready for first team action, to take his slot at CM. Saivet will also become part of the first team squad this year.

I'll update in September on any ins and outs and with a squad list ready for our first season in the new stadium.

about to start season 2. brought in ustari for 4.1. Berthod for 3mil Bellaid for 3mil and Zola for 750k.

My squad is now

GK Coupet/Ustari

RB: Clerc/Reveillere

LB: Grosso/Berthod

CB: Squillaci/Mensah/Cris/Bellaid

ML/MR: Menez/Ben Arfa/Keita

MC: Bodmer/Kallstrom/Juninho/Toulalan/Ederson/Zola

ST: Fred/Benzema/Braind

I play in a 442 in france and a counter 451 in champ league.

I also havea bid in for Elmandor but so do man city so dont no if he'll sign.

Anyway Europe here I come this year!

My Teams just been raided by the big two in Spain. 3 players have departed as my Chairman jumped at the chance of selling all 3.

Lower offers came in and i negotiated high offers which i didn't expect to get for all 3 players. However, they came back and met my valuation.

Barcelona have bought Migel Veloso for 31m and Felipe for 19.5m. I thought this was fantastic, so offered neither contracts. I was happy for both to go for that money.

Real Madrid then offered 17m for C.Samba. Not wanting to lose another DC i promptly offered him a new bumper deal but he rejected and swiftly left for Spain. Im sad to lose him, he won European Defender of the Year in his first year with us.

This had forced me in to the transfer market. Sankahre has been promoted as Veloso's replacement. However, i have a hole in my defence. H.Bellaid is out of favour at Blackburn and availavble for 6.75m so he's my top priority at the moment i think.

Any suggestions would be welcomed icon_smile.gif

arghh ffs i hate goalkeepers on this ****ing game

have 28M yet i still can't get anyone without overspending, i mean 20M for Lloris?!? **** right off Nice icon_mad.gif

How about R.Riou? He got a better av. rating from 20 games than Lloris last season.

Picked him up when Auxerre got relegated for 3.7m. May be worth a look to see how much he would cost you.

BB

Welcome back again mate. icon_wink.gif

I've kept mine (aas. manager) for one or two seasons than i sacked him and got Desailly. Than Real Madrid thought it would be wise choice to come and take him. Now there whole squad is unhappy because they want to come to me. icon_biggrin.gif Now i have Mihaljovic who has good stats allround.

My former ass. is now manager in his fourth season at AS Roma and doing a great job at it.

Biglia is great for that and he keeps on getting better. He moved back to Argentina on my game and than to some german team (Werder irrc) for +20 mil. Do the deal.

For GK have a look at Cassio, Bailly (Genk in Belgium).

Dexta

I've used Juninho for 1,5 seasons and than he was a sub untill his contract expired. But in first season Milan bid 15 mil euro for him so ask more.

Poopy

Sorry mate you need to open your own thread for questions like that.

Liam

Great first and last season mate.

Benzema is godlike tbh.

Good luck with your other games and you're always welcome to continue your carreer with Lyon.

Scott

This is still a great season despite the loss against Madrid. You'll beat them next year. icon14.gif

Actually i still have Mehamha in my sixth season his value is rather high for a player i never used, tried to sell him but nobody wants him (yet).

Sankhare looks promising, give him a go.

Mate you lost some important players, have a look at Mensah from Rennes, Garay, Palombo maybe.

Yeh i have.. my Squad's weakened. Im corssing my fingers that my youngsters are ready to step up.

Iv clinched the signing of Bellaifor 6.75m.

On a positive note.. im Rich! i was given a 31m budget but after player sales it now stands at 84m and with the new stadium in place we're in the best financial situation i've ever experienced with Lyon.

My line-up is as follows. Whats your opinions? Should i spend some of my budget or see how well we do and look again in January?

GK Lloris/Riou

DR Clerc/Abenzoar

DL A.Traore/J.Mathieu

DC Squillaci/Sakho

DC Bellaid/Sakho

MC Bodmer/L.Diarra

MC Toulalan/Sankhare

AMR Keita/Saivet*

AML Ben Arfa/Menez

AMC Nasri/Briand

ST Benzema/Gignac

*Saivet will rotate between AM positions and ST to gain match experience in the less important games. His future lies as a striker obviously icon_smile.gif

Also, at CB - Abenzoar and Diarra can cover there if needed.

Well Scott i like your team a lot tbh. But i would still buy an extra DC and spend some money on it so i would def. go for Garay. The rest of the money i would save untill January and than see if you need something extra.

Originally posted by purefun:

Well Scott i like your team a lot tbh. But i would still buy an extra DC and spend some money on it so i would def. go for Garay. The rest of the money i would save untill January and than see if you need something extra.

Ok. Iv been looking around. Garay's a no go.. he was part of the Real Madrid side that knocked me out of the CL. Mensah moved to Man City and would be expensive given he's now 27.

Dervite looks good, he's at Sunderland now and would cost 15-20m. What do you think? Click

Otherwise, Pique would cost me 15.5m, David Luiz 9m, Kaboul or C.Medjani maybe.

Just snapped up this guy for the future from Marseille on my scouts reccomendation .. looks like he could be good.

Batlles

Why's Vercoutre a clown? can't see the link between that picture of your win and how he's a clown

On another note, my strikers are having difficulty scoring, Briand is injured so Saivet is back from loan. Fortunately Van der Vaart is banging them in.

Scott

Go for Pique and Luiz imo. In that case Bellaid is a back-up.

Dervite is a no for me maybe if his speed is a little higher.

Battles is one for the future get him.

Batlles has signed for £0 + 10% sell on.

Pique signed a new contract with Valencia so is now not intrested and his release clause has doubled. In negotiations for Luiz but so are Inter and Liverpool.

I've tabled a bid for the young H.Nordtveit from Arsenal, 4.6m and he seems like he could be very good.

Well that was the worst transfer window in FM history i think icon_cool.gif

INs

H.Bellaid - Blackburn 6.75m

D.Dervite - Sunderland 9m

E.Batlles (Regen) - Marseille 0m (+ 10% Sell on)

Total = 15.75m

OUTs

Felipe - Barcelona 19.5m

M.Veloso - Barcelona 31m

C.Samba - Real Madrid 17m

Buonette, Aquino, Costil, Le Tallec, Acapandie, Tuia and Benzerga all on Loans.

Total = 68m

My chase for a DC was difficult. Happy with Bellaid but was hoping to get a top quality CB as first choice, missed out on the likes of Pique (Signed new contract), D.Luiz (Signed for another Club), Nordtveit (Loaned to Celta) and Garay (Not intrested as moved to Real).

However i needed cover so i was forced to settle with Dervite. Still young and he's french, i've had no experience with him so it's a bit of a risk. As Purefun pointed out he's a little slow but i'll be addressing that with a relevant training schedule.

So, my team for our first season in the new 60,000 seater Plaine de Jeuz de Gerlan Stadium is ..

GK Lloris/Riou

DR Clerc/Abenzoar

DL A.Traore/J.Mathieu

DC Squillaci/Dervite

DC Bellaid/Sakho

MC Bodmer/L.Diarra

MC Toulalan/Sankhare

AMR Keita/Saivet

AML Ben Arfa/Menez

AMC Nasri/Briand

ST Benzema/Gignac

This season im aiming to retain all our domestic titles and improve on our Quater Final exit in the CL. It's a very young team in places so expectations aren't as high as in my last two seasons.

I managed to beat Ajax and Man City to sign Ellmander, Which worked out well as Briand got injured for a month in the last pre-seaon game on top of Fred breaking his leg at the end of last seaon.

Season has started well, 6 in 6 in the league to go with the champ trophey to take my run to 14 straight wins starting from last season's tittle run-in. Benzema has 4 in 5 and elmander has 3 in 5.

Got a good feeling for this season, though now i've said that i'll prob go on a losing streak icon_biggrin.gif

not bad pure. I've got a hell of a lot of youngsters coming in January. Will post some screenshots up at end of season.

Also i'm glad i brought Saivet back, just as briand was getting over his injury fred got injured. Saivet is getting loads of game time and scoring a few as well.

Lulinha isn't doing too well at Villareal but still getting games.

Dexta

Did you use him? If so with whom? And how did he do for you?

He is going to replace Kameni at end of season unless you guys tell me not to. I'll post some s.s. of my GK end of season.

Scott

As you say you could retain your domestic titles but for CL it will be tough.

Isn't Tuia ready or maybe almost!! Could you post a s.s. of him. Thx

Darren

Elmander could do the job, you could also use him your midfield when fred and briand return.

Tuia's not even close. Hasn't really developed at all. went out on loan last season but barely got a game icon_mad.gif

Here he is

Its a real shame my reserves dont play in a league. Makes life difficult.

This season is shaping up to be a nightmare already. Just lost my second game of the season and we're only 6 games in.

I mean for the second time we have 60% plus possesion and twice the shots on target, better pass completion.. yet we lose 1-0.

Dexta

Did you use him? If so with whom? And how did he do for you?

He is going to replace Kameni at end of season unless you guys tell me not to. I'll post some s.s. of my GK end of season.

i had him for in my roma game, and i ended up selling him just wasn't that great always conceded silly goals one of those good shot stoppers but bad for me from corners and free kicks.

i got Lloris to replace him and it improved my team loads!

Mid Season Update from me.

The young Wijnaldum already thinks he is bigger than the club and wishes to be part of the first team. He isn't good enough yet, so to keep him happy, he is back out on loan to De Graafschap, my affiliate where he spent all of last term.

Liverpool then tested my resolve with a £45.5m bid for Jeremy Toulalan. After thinking long and hard about it, I declined the offer. It was tempting, but only having 4 days to seek a replacement, it wasn't long enough, and the rejection made him unhappy. Fantastic!

The Champions League didn't get off to the best of starts after we lost 1-0 away to Zenit Peterburg, Aguero missed a penalty for us with the scores still tied that I believed would have resulted in us going on to win comfortably. Our next opponents and the first to visit the wonderful OL Land in European Competitionare Dutch outfit PSV. I was hoping our league form (P11 W10 D1) would carry through into Europe and we can look to go beyond Round 1 which has haunted us for the last 2 seasons, and even the awful Steve Bennet as referee wasn't going to ruin my day. As it happens, the game was far too easy, Mr dependable opened the scoring with a trademark 25 yarder before 2nd half substiture Karim Benzema silenced his critics with two superbly taken goals. Unfortunately, Mr Bennet did have the last laugh, awarding PSV a debatable penalty. Still, 3-1 and I was happy.

Further to the impressive victory, we broke our match attendance record for the third home game in a row. Disappointingly, my best start to the season ended on match day 13 when we went down 1-0 at home to 2nd place Nancy, which saw us have no fewer than 3 goals disallowed. Still, despite the loss, we were still 8 points clear.

Back to Champions League duty and a tricky tie away to Dinamo Kiev saw us come back with a 1-0 win thanks to Jeremy Menez and a hint of frostbite from the -5 degree temperature. We followed this up with a disappointing 2-1 home defeat against Zenit Petersburg, meaning we need atlead a point from our remaining group game to ensure qualification. There was obviously nothing to worry about as we went to Holland, hammered PSV 5-1 and returned home again as group winners. Goals from Kallstrom 3, Toulalan and Aquino secured top spot and condemned the Dutch outfit to UEFA Cup football. Our reward was a trip to England to face Tottenham in the 1st knockout phase,

At the end of November, a deal was announced that would see Brazillian DC Cleber Anderson finally leave Les Gones to join fellow French sude Le Mans for £250,000. The 30 year old not having played a single game for me.

With January now here its the annual awards show and this time we have a big winner.

World Player of the Year: Hatem Ben Arfa

European Footballer of the Year: Hatem Ben Arfa

European Midfielder of the Year: Hatem Ben Arfa, Jeremy Toulalan 3rd

French Player of the Year: Hatem Ben Arfa, Jeremy Menez 3rd

Foreign Player of the Year: Sergio Aguero, Kim Kallstrom 2nd

Ligue 1 Revelation of the Year: Samir Nasri

Manager of the Year: Me

In addition to the awards. our 2 new Brazilian kids arrive after their 2 year wait to turn 18. Central Midfielder Marcio Menezes from Atletico Miniero joins for £200,000, and Central Defender Gerson joins for £60,000 from Gremio

At the half way stage of the 2010/2011 season we sit pretty at the top with the following record P19 W16 D2 L1 F44 A9 +35 PTS50 and have a nice 10 point lead.

ahh sod it, spending 14M on that Lloris and hopefully that will be all the players i need \o/ just to be a bitch i'm sure he will break his leg as soon as he joins though icon_frown.gif

Good decision mate.. he's worth every penny.

And a great start to the season AJ. I wish some of your league form came my way. We've lost two of our opening 10 games, shocking. Iv only lost 3 in the previous 3 seasons icon_rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by AJ (Manager):

Scott

I signed Nordveit from Arsenal a season ago for just over £1m I believe, not yet a first team regular as Squillaci is still awesome, but been very reliable when called upon, and also does a good job in midfield when I am short.

Yeh i plan to buy him in the summer now (2011)

unlucky barnetboyz.

I've never really had much trouble with injuries, always seems to be my strikers getting injured though. But always seem to have 3 available. I do have a very tough time trying to pick a squad at minute.

Is Dentinho any good? never heard of him before.

Originally posted by Agent Tiro:

I've not sold Fred

£4m for Reveillere,

Roux left on a free

Boumsong i couldn't sell for love nor money and he left on a free

£2.8m for delgado

Kallstrom i aint sold.

was this all 1st season mate? boumsong looks like a stupid waste of space like damien duff..

the frees were at end of contract, i offered them out at ever decreasing prices but no one wanted them.

Delgado was in second season, and if i remember correctly there were additional payments over a year. I did also sell Govou for £4m upfront in first season as i play without wingers.

fs its getting busy in here!!! Me like a lot. icon_biggrin.gif

Scott

Yep Tuia looks not good at all hopefully he improves otherwise you need to dump him.

Dexta

Thx than i'll sell him.

Fred i never sold.

Reveilleire : 5 mil euro + sell on

Roux for 0 euro but he is sold nevertheless.

Boumsong i have sold him for around 2 mil.

Delgado : +5 mil euro

Kallstrom : an easy 15-20 mil euro + sell on

Darren

Good for you mate.

BB

Well i'm going for Lloris too and i'm six seasons in, wonder what he is going to cost me though. icon_eek.gif

AJ

Toulalon gets happy again. Win a cup or something where he plays in and everything will be okay.

Wijnaldum has that a lot in my game. He moved to Hertha, Fiorentina and Liverpool. And now he is unhappy agian and wants to join me. To bad for him though.

Ben Arfa World Player icon_cool.gif

Nice post mate.

Purefun

don't know if you've started bidding on Lloris yet, but if you don't want to spend stupid money have you tried looking at Steve Mandanda? Young french keeper, think he's one or two years older than Lloris but he seems consistent on my game. Decent stats, plenty of clean sheets and he always gets MoM against me in last two seasons at their place. He's at Olympique de Marseille currently but begins at Le Havre.

Well I've made it to January 2010 and things are going ok. The improvements to my Youth training have completed and they are now one of the best in the world. I've requested a further upgrade to the standard training facilities and the board are sharing my ambition, even if they are well above the national average.

Training has been completly revamped, it is still the standard one but previous coaches have been loaded off and replaced with a new lot who have at least 15 for working with youngsters, on top of the stats required for 7 star training.

It was desperately needed as I was beginning to concentrate upon promoting youth. Something i've never really done properly before on FM and since Lyon is so fun, and my first team sorted i can start building for the future. Aided by the fact I have spent reasonable money on some youngsters who I hope are going to be the hottest prospects around.

Lionel Santini who was bought from Bordeaux for 65k

Wolfram Mayer who was a free agent. Desailly reckons he's rubbish but scouts said otherwise. But for free he's worth a punt

Fernando Lopez Martin who was plucked from Real Madrid for £275k

Gao Kun who i'm quiet excited about, bought for £220k from Beijing where he had a strike rate of a goal every other game, same for his international career. In his debut for me, a cup tie against some very low standard team he scored 2 in the 10-0 win. Hoping he improves further in key areas.

Luc Louvel cost a pricely £1.1m from Sochaux, but i'm hoping the high price is because of how high they regard him.

Alain Adam was even more expensive at £2.7m, mental stats look promising. Lets see how the rest fair up

Piet L'Ami is looking a good prospect for in goal, cost me £1m

There are a few others, but those are the ones my scouts thought most highly of. Saying they'd be leading stars in the french league.

Also joining me will be Benoit Costil from Caen for £4.7m in the summer. Decided to leave the transfer to go through then so he had more first team games, and wait till Coupets wage is off my system.

The league has been shaken up this year, Marseille and Saint-Etienne are battling for second place, while PSG are a long way off the pace, and Bordeaux stuck firmly in midtable. After 20 games i'm 7 points clear. Lost one game (to marseille) and drew two.

I'm still in all domestic competitions, quarter final in the league cup against PSG, and 10th round french cup against Lens

Champions league handed me a fairly tough group, Bayern, Lokomotiv Moscow and Shakhtar. Once again i finished top of my group, undefeaten. Expecting an easy(ish) first knockout round game, i'm stunned to end up having Man Utd. Fairly confident though, as in my first season in charge they were in my group and i beat them 3-1 at home but lost 4-3 away. They also now have the great Igor Akinfeev in goal. So i'm not expecting such high scoring games.

For some reason this season i haven't have a really prolific striker, and Benzema has been really struggling. But the goal share is well spread out, with the midfield chipping in quite a few.

Few more months and we will all be moving off to OL land. Hopefully we can celebrate by putting the Champions League trophy in the cabinet there.

Archived