• Last Reply

What's the point of this discussion?!

It is a bug!

No it isn't.

Yes it is!

No, it's not!

It's a bug!

It's your tactics!

Will you please stop this? None of you is going to prove anything this way!

There's a thread in the bugs forum, those of you who consider this a bug should upload their PKMs and post there.

If you provide some proofs, SI will have to acknowledge there's an issue. But you need PKMs (not just screenshots!) to prove that.

What I've experienced (both for and against me) is that it doesn't happen at EVERY goal kick.

So I'm not sure your screenshots is conclusive evidence of anything.

no the screen shots are not really evidence of anything, but they seem to be taken as being right when backing up the OP whereas the shots showing the defensive line working correctly are ignored. So really this thread has proved nothing. The only real proof is PKM's uploaded to the FTP server which SI can analyse anything else is just us speculating so far no one seems to be forthcoming with any so i guess this cant be that big an issue.

Thanks to everybody for providing feedback on this subject and please accept our apologies for not responding sooner.

First of all we recognise there are some issues here, but it's not really a bug in the Match Engine, it's more to do with being a weakness in the overall design in this area and small changes here can have a fundamental impact elsewhere, which can make balancing the engine problematic.

At this stage, however simple this seems to be on the surface, we are not prepared to risk unbalancing the Match Engine drastically by changing this stuff in Patch 3, but there are some good suggestions here that will help aid us when we re-design some of the AI behind this in the future.

Some of the suggestions made are actually just small steps to solving the actual issue and will require further changes elsewhere and we will consider those when we come to the point that we can re-design this area from the ground up. That re-design and improvements are planned for the future, but we can't commit to when they will be done at this point.

I understand that the answer I've given may not be satisfactory at this point for some of you, but I hope that helps explain things a little more clearly from our perspective. :)

Sorry for not getting the PKMs up last night, the gf wanted to go out and I didn't get home until late. Will do it tonight.

Ty's screenshots are actually quite helpful to me, and I think I may have a new theory on why it is happening to some and not all.

In Ty's screenshots, the backline does move up in the same way as the backline in my screenshots (indicating that is does happen on every goal kick as I believed). However, in Ty's, the opposing striker's also move. It is possible that the AI is setting the strikers against me to be full attacking and thus are waiting until being put offside to move. My current team is expected to finish at the bottom of the table, indicating opposing teams would probably be more aggresive against me.

Still a flaw, but possibly related to opposition tactics rather than the team taking the goal kick.

I may start up 2 managers tonight and see if this is the case.

Thanks for the screenshots Ty, very insightful.

Sorry for not getting the PKMs up last night, the gf wanted to go out and I didn't get home until late. Will do it tonight.

Ty's screenshots are actually quite helpful to me, and I think I may have a new theory on why it is happening to some and not all.

In Ty's screenshots, the backline does move up in the same way as the backline in my screenshots (indicating that is does happen on every goal kick as I believed). However, in Ty's, the opposing striker's also move. It is possible that the AI is setting the strikers against me to be full attacking and thus are waiting until being put offside to move. My current team is expected to finish at the bottom of the table, indicating opposing teams would probably be more aggresive against me.

Still a flaw, but possibly related to opposition tactics rather than the team taking the goal kick.

I may start up 2 managers tonight and see if this is the case.

Thanks for the screenshots Ty, very insightful.

your theory makes a lot of sense. not sure how much you can do to combat it, see SI's answer above. but at least you know why it happens.

Fair enough Neil, it's not something I can't live with in the meantime.

But I hope that SI can take a long look at some of these issues that have been plaguing the series for years (Board Confidence, Transfer system etc.)

and fix them once and for all.

I'm not sure I can justify to myself buying new versions of FM for incremental changes anymore.

@ OP....and to get back on topic...

How's about adding a poll to the thread, see if you can gauge the opinion of people in the thread. Possible answers..

1. Happens to me regularly

2. Happens occasionally

3. Can't recall it ever happening

One point to perhaps consider is that it isn't "your tactics", this happens to me fairly often, but the player stats you have. Not wanting to pre-judge your players, but what are the ratings for the following attributes...

Positioning

Anticipation

Decisions

It would be my guess that people who aren't affected by this have defenders with good ratings in the above attributes (Ferdinand was mentioned earlier, Positioning 18, Anticipation 18 & Decisions 14)

What's the point of this discussion?!

It is a bug!

No it isn't.

Yes it is!

No, it's not!

It's a bug!

It's your tactics!

Will you please stop this? None of you is going to prove anything this way!

There's a thread in the bugs forum, those of you who consider this a bug should upload their PKMs and post there.

If you provide some proofs, SI will have to acknowledge there's an issue. But you need PKMs (not just screenshots!) to prove that.

Fella - who made you king of forum land?!

Discussions are what an online forum is for.

If you're not keen on the discussion that's going on, don't read it or contribute to it.

'Simples', as the meerkat says...

If you're not keen on the discussion that's going on, don't read it or contribute to it.

he has a point, neither side a really discussing anything, and anyway we've had a response from si

Hey, I don't think I deserved that.

I was following this thread as I have experienced the issue myself. However, at some point, the discussion turned into a pointless argument. Can't you see that? Look a few posts back.

Also redirecting you to bugs forum is not being "the king of forum land", it's just stating the obvious. You can complain here or provide some proofs in the bugs section. Simple. Anyway, we now have the official statement from SI which is fair enough.

Thanks to everybody for providing feedback on this subject and please accept our apologies for not responding sooner.

First of all we recognise there are some issues here, but it's not really a bug in the Match Engine, it's more to do with being a weakness in the overall design in this area and small changes here can have a fundamental impact elsewhere, which can make balancing the engine problematic.

At this stage, however simple this seems to be on the surface, we are not prepared to risk unbalancing the Match Engine drastically by changing this stuff in Patch 3, but there are some good suggestions here that will help aid us when we re-design some of the AI behind this in the future.

Some of the suggestions made are actually just small steps to solving the actual issue and will require further changes elsewhere and we will consider those when we come to the point that we can re-design this area from the ground up. That re-design and improvements are planned for the future, but we can't commit to when they will be done at this point.

I understand that the answer I've given may not be satisfactory at this point for some of you, but I hope that helps explain things a little more clearly from our perspective. :)

Nice guy as I can see in Neil. Most of us can understand that. Just a quick suggestion, every year FM is released is autumn and 2 or 3 patches after, the latest patch is usually before March. Then you have like 7 months to develop the next version. Then first patch, bugs, tweaks, second patch, etc. Why not just make the game compatible for previous version's saved games or at least try not to make more bugs/weaknesses in ME every new release. The ME should be consecutive to last edition. ME alone is most important part of this game. You fixe it, improve it, until it's perfect. If you always re-write and re-design the bugs will be inevitable each year.

Hey, I don't think I deserved that.

I was following this thread as I have experienced the issue myself. However, at some point, the discussion turned into a pointless argument. Can't you see that? Look a few posts back.

Also redirecting you to bugs forum is not being "the king of forum land", it's just stating the obvious. You can complain here or provide some proofs in the bugs section. Simple. Anyway, we now have the official statement from SI which is fair enough.

Some issues are so clear cut and obvious that I presume everyone can see that. So why bother to post in bugs section that needs proof considering I'm already p*ssed off and just want to complain, haha.

@ OP....and to get back on topic...

How's about adding a poll to the thread, see if you can gauge the opinion of people in the thread. Possible answers..

1. Happens to me regularly

2. Happens occasionally

3. Can't recall it ever happening

One point to perhaps consider is that it isn't "your tactics", this happens to me fairly often, but the player stats you have. Not wanting to pre-judge your players, but what are the ratings for the following attributes...

Positioning

Anticipation

Decisions

It would be my guess that people who aren't affected by this have defenders with good ratings in the above attributes (Ferdinand was mentioned earlier, Positioning 18, Anticipation 18 & Decisions 14)

Agree on the poll thing.

Stats is from 1-20, if your not playing amateur teams the ability of players shouldn't be a disaster. Position 18 very good, position 13 will make stupid errors? don't think so. the best way to test the ME is to use top teams to see if the situation happens frequently.

The key attribute for this is keeper's kicking :p the lower his kicking the shorter distance he'll kick the ball and then more often you'll see this happen. It can be partially avoided by having one of the central defenders on cover, than he has somewhat better chance of stopping it :p

Archived