FM11: Chelsea FC thread - Champions of England!

joe__the__man

Hi Bulldog! Lukaku is available for £6M and Sanchez for £10.5M, I'm not sure about Neymar (Personally I would sign Iker Muniain for £13.25M anyway). As far as I'm aware, the best transfer strategy is to compliment the players in the media and put in a relatively low bid. Keep gradually upping the bid until negotiations begin, then try to get your man as cheaply as possible!

Ah ok I'll try that thanks

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sounds perfect. Ok one more question and I'll leave you guys alone (for a while)…

Tactics! When I used to play, tactics were everything. Ones I downloaded were ten times more successful than almost anything I created. Is that still the way or has the gap closed a bit?

I would love to play something similar to Carlo's real life 4-3-3. Maybe get Neymar and train him to play on the right of the 3. Should I just try tweaking the default or do you recommend a newbie like me just wait a while for the geniuses to come up with something good? Or can you point me in the direction of something that works well?

Thanks again.

Ok then guys, as we're discussing the tactics creator, what is your favourite tactic so far on FM11? Also comments on strengths and weaknesses with reference to the Chelsea squad would be great.

Our squad suits a narrow formation, but I haven't had much success with these so far. I tried a narrow 4-3-2-1 but this was exposed against better teams, especially those with good wingers. Since then, I've been experimenting with numerous 4-5-1, 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 variants, with mixed results.

On some FM games, width has been a necessity, on others it has not. I'm going with width, in a Benitez style 4-2-3-1:

wing backs on attack duty (although change to full backs for difficult games)

box to box (Lampard, gets loads of goals) and ball winner (Essien), with support and defense duties.

Alexis Sanchez RAM as a winger, attack

Neymar LAM as inside forward, attack (stronger on his right foot)

Eden Hazard as attacking midfielder, attack duty

Drogba as complete forward, attack duty.

It is working well so far, with easy wins in all pre-season, but sterner tests lie ahead...

My signings were as follows:

Sakho 24 million (half was over 48 months), coming next season. Expensive, but his wages, sign on fee and agent fee are so low, that he ends up about 10m cheaper than Chiellini, with another 5m saved per season on wages compared to Chiellini or Terry, who he will eventually replace. He's absolute quality for the long-term.

Eden Hazard was 16.5m, but a CAM was a necessity and he has 4* potential, according to Byran Robson (judge PA - 20). Cheap wages and fees.

Alexis Sanchez was 16m, but with no natural RAMs in the squad, another necessity, and relatively cheap wages + fees.

Dzeko was 20m, but he is perfect for the EPL, a complete striker who is very young (24) and already very nearly as good as Drogba, and fantastic with both feet. No cheap wages, but already the complete player, and Drogba is not young.

Neymar was 15m. I wanted to sign him because of all the rumours over the summer, apparently he was very very close to joining us. He also has 4* potential, according to Bryan Robson. cheap wages + fees.

I've gone for young players, all with at least 3.5 star potential, mostly on cheap wages. I have not uprooted the squad, my first team still has 8 or 9 original players, with only Hazard and Sanchez breaking in (Neymar sometimes ahead of Malouda).

It is shocking how underrated Malouda is this season. I am a season ticket holder and last year he was incredible. Strength 12? He's one of the strongest players in the EPL, no doubt. Dribbling 12? Passing 13? Our passing game under Ancelotti does not allow for anyone who can't pass the ball exceptionally well. Clearly didn't watch him play... Ivanovic and Anelka also underrated, Drogba a bit underrated because he was absolutely out of this world last year.

I've still got 13.5 million left, going for Lukaku or Rodwell probably, to join next year.

It's nigh on impossible to sell players because the game has been set up as if it is the end of the transfer window - realistic - but no one has money left. Next year Anelka and Ferreira. will definitely go, probably with Kalou, Malouda., possibly Benayoun. The game just does not reward age.

It is shocking how underrated Malouda is this season. I am a season ticket holder and last year he was incredible. Strength 12? He's one of the strongest players in the EPL, no doubt. Dribbling 12? Passing 13? Our passing game under Ancelotti does not allow for anyone who can't pass the ball exceptionally well. Clearly didn't watch him play... Ivanovic and Anelka also underrated, Drogba a bit underrated because he was absolutely out of this world last year.

I've still got 13.5 million left, going for Lukaku or Rodwell probably, to join next year.

Totally agree about Malouda, he's still good in the game but certainly not as great as he should be.

Jack Rodwell (13.5M) and Phil Jones (9.5M) are great for the future IMO. The Terry and Lamps of 5 years time?

Totally agree about Malouda, he's still good in the game but certainly not as great as he should be.

Jack Rodwell (13.5M) and Phil Jones (9.5M) are great for the future IMO. The Terry and Lamps of 5 years time?

Personally I would say Hazard is a fantastic midfielder, can play in the same position as Lampard (MC). I would go for Gary Cahill as a CB, he is also homegrown and English.

I think that's very unfair on the researchers. I know for a fact that the head Chelsea researcher is a season ticket holder and has an opinion on Chelsea players that strongly correlates with mine. I happen to agree with the vast majority of his ratings.

So you boys going tonight then? I'm not a season ticket holder but a memer trying to get as many points as possible for a season ticket. I'll be sitting in the shed upper tonight! Gonna use the games I go to as a little scouting trip for fm - sad huh?

BTW Paulo Henrique is incredible. Essentially a slightly better version of Hazard - 4.5 star potential according to Robson. A CAM.

Anyone else noticed that the difference between accomplished and natural has closed - before coaches would always say a player is better in his natural position, but no longer...

BTW Paulo Henrique is incredible. Essentially a slightly better version of Hazard - 4.5 star potential according to Robson. A CAM.

Anyone else noticed that the difference between accomplished and natural has closed - before coaches would always say a player is better in his natural position, but no longer...

Henrique was very good for me also. Henrique > Pastore > Hazard is how I'd rate them at the moment. Obviously, this is still only with limited play and could quite easilt change!

I'm a Pastore fanboy personally, though I've not had Hazard yet. Hazard seems like a different type of player anyway, less of a playmaker and more of a 'dribbler'/inside forward type.

After watching the world cup, I thought he was horrible, although this was only a few minutes. I feel Hazard is more of a playmaker, although his 18 dribbling is very impressive.

Before I delve in to the full game tomorrow night, a quick question to those that played the full 6 months on the demo, how do Chelsea's finances shape up on a month to month basis. On FM10 Chelsea posted losses every month and by the end of the first season would generally have no money left over and need Roman to subsidise.

How is it like this time round because we did manage to significantly trim the wage bill over the summer?

Before I delve in to the full game tomorrow night, a quick question to those that played the full 6 months on the demo, how do Chelsea's finances shape up on a month to month basis. On FM10 Chelsea posted losses every month and by the end of the first season would generally have no money left over and need Roman to subsidise.

How is it like this time round because we did manage to significantly trim the wage bill over the summer?

Its far better. If you dont buy/sell anyone and get a lot of prize money, you basically have the same turnover and expenditure at the end of the season.

So the game is finally here (if you're on steam at least) and I can begin properly. My aims for this year are to trim the wage bill as soon as possible, bring the average age down, bring through as much of the current talent we have as I can, to bring in as many young talented british players as possible and to get a new stadium.

I'll be playing the 4-1-2-1-2 formation I have deployed with all my teams to great success for years, meaning a new AMC is a must. The first signings I'll be looking at will be Phil Jones (blackburn) Eden Hazard (Standard, I was very impressed by him on the demo, seemed to perform best of all the AMC's i tried out), Neymar (Santos), Lukaku (Anderlecht) and any other young Brits I find. A young DM as a backup for Mikel is also a possibility.

Out will be at least 4 of Malouda, Anelka, Bosingwa, Ferreira, Hilario, Kalou, Zhirkov.

I'll let you guys know how it gets on, I hope this thread keeps being as busy as it has been since the demo came out.

Come on the Blues

On the demo I gave up attempting to sell players because there just wasn't any interest. To see what happened I even tried offering John Terry for 12m, and no offers. So I think that I will sign up most of the young talent with transfers arranged to come at the start of next season, meaning I will keep my 30 year olds (Anelka, Malouda, Ferreira, Hilario) and the other average players and see how much I can get next season. Hopefully this is pan out quiet well because their value should increase after a good season (although I don't envisage Anelka, Zhirkov, Ferreira, Hilario getting many games...) and the wage bill will be significantly trimmed for my second season. I'm definitely going for Henrique - the cheapest transfer fee, lowest wages and highest potential (according to scouts) out of the available CAMs although Hazard, Pastore and Pjanic are all great talents. Mass expenditure on youth first season will be my plan I reckon, using the 'payments over 48 months' trick, and then very little strengthening will be needed after that. Sign players up young so that they are on cheap wages and after a season have developed great cohesion.

:( that will have to be fixed in the editor (presuming you can) before I start a game. I like to keep the bulk of the squad for the first season, so Malouda and Anelka will be important and need to get match fit during pre season.

Roll on 4.30!! I can't wait to get home and have a full nights session on it.

My heavily pregnant missus has gone into town today to pick me up a copy whilst I'm at work (she wants things to do to take her mind off of things!) and then to top it off she said she doesn't want to go anywhere tonight because our cat hates fireworks so she wants to stay in infront of the TV with it...Score!!!

• Administrators

Wonder what the hell I was doing from my seat all of last season then...

Hi Philip, for the most part good work on the ratings but I think the general consensus is that Malouda above everybody seems underrated considering his perfomances last season. Malouda isn't an orthodox winger taking players on so his dribbling stat is probably correct. However his passing, crossing, finishing and strength should have all definately received a boost.

I also happen to think Alex is slightly underrated, especially considering how good Carvalho's stats still are. And I can't understand why Ivanovic is no longer a natural at CB when that is his natural position. I would have expected him to be natural in both the CB and RB positions now and not just one or the other.

Lost Drogba to cruciate ligaments. His season is gone and at his age retirement is being considered.

Sturridge has started season really well and we'll see how my new youngsters I bought in can quickly develop. I do play 3 strikers, after all, with the two flank ones needing strong mentalities since they are given freedom.

Not long now! An online session of Pro Evolution Soccer may have to be kicked into touch tonight. Or at the very least until I am a fair way into the season and got my team sorted out so then I can multi task :)

Having been assessing my options during the demo I don't believe the squad needs as much revamping as it did in last years game. The club did that job in the summer letting the likes of Ballack, Carvalho and Deco go who were all ageing and on high wages.

The majority of the squad are between 27-30 which is a good age. It is a bit of a myth that once a player hits 30 he should be replaced. Drogba and Lampard still play at a very high standard at the beginning of the game, both at 32. The biggest requirements are finding long term successors to Drogba (32), Lampard (32) and Terry (30) within the first season or two so they have time to settle whilst the above mentioned still can perform at a high level in the first team.

Chelsea also now seem to finally have some decent youth so you would expect at least a couple to come through from the batch and I will be trying extremely hard to eventually bring through Delac, McEachran, Kakuta and Sturridge, and hopefully Bruma and Van Aanholt as well. Exciting times!!!

I've experienced a ton of success in the narrow 4-1-2-1-2 formation, and here are some of my targets for players to sign:

Striker - Edin Dzeko, world class replacement for Drogba available for under $50M.

Kadlec - exciting young prospect who can replace Anelka in a year or two

AMC - Gourcuff can be purchased for a high fee, but I feel for the first season Benayoun/Malouda should suffice.

Donovan seems like a cheap option that could find himself a home as a backup.

Central Midfield - Rodwell can be an extremely good signing but don't know if he's worth it as Essien/Ramires are solid ball winning midfielders.

Hamsik - Can replace Lampard in a couple years, world class player.

Defensive Midfield - Fernando Gago, not in favor with Real Madrid and might be available for cheap.

Kacar - Versatile Serbian who can fit into this role easily.

Rodwell might be decent here, though I hate to waste his potential at DM.

Left back - None needed, Cole/Zhirkov are world class.

Right back - None needed, Ivanovic/Bosingwa are decent enough.

Central Defend - Needs the most work, Kjaer is a good option but expensive. Same with Sakho. Mexes and Criscito are good options for a bit cheaper. Sergiy Kryvstov, a Ukrainian, was stellar for me in the last game and available for $5M, I'll have to see how he sizes up in this version. Looks there are a couple 19 year olds, one Brazilian one Argentinian, who are up to snuff.

Goalkeeper - None needed, though if you can purchase Adler on the cheap, you can sell Cech for $55M or so at a profit and it's a pretty even swap. Areola is a good buy though, if you can get him cheaply.

Also Romelu Lukaku is an obvious target for the future.

Neymar could be a stellar signing as well.

• Administrators
Hi Philip, for the most part good work on the ratings but I think the general consensus is that Malouda above everybody seems underrated considering his perfomances last season. Malouda isn't an orthodox winger taking players on so his dribbling stat is probably correct. However his passing, crossing, finishing and strength should have all definately received a boost.

I (obviously) disagree, but with Malouda I'll implore users to play him as he's been played under Hiddink and Ancelotti - a decisive, instinctive player who does things with the minimum of time wasting. Watch his best moments over the last 18 months and you'll see that they're all like that. And it works in game as well, or at least is for me.

I (obviously) disagree, but with Malouda I'll implore users to play him as he's been played under Hiddink and Ancelotti - a decisive, instinctive player who does things with the minimum of time wasting. Watch his best moments over the last 18 months and you'll see that they're all like that. And it works in game as well, or at least is for me.

What 'role' would you suggest for him? I had primarily as an Attacking midfielder on support on the demo and he was so-so, but he did get injured for a while, so maybe the demo wasn't fully representative.

Damn crash. I've lost 4 league and 1 CL game. Back into August, ffs. That is a lot of progress gone and will be painful to replay them; particularly since I won all of them and so am at risk of results I don't want now.

The upside is Drogba isn't injured anymore, since it was during the September international break.

Haven't got the game yet but it seems Anelka and Malouda will be suspended for Chelsea's friendlies too once you apply the patch, rather than for France alone. Just a heads up to anyone who is wondering.

Look at the other posts. they are all facing the same problems.

Decided to do a serious Chelsea game for the first time since FM08, hopefully I'll be able to keep coming back to it and work my way quite far into the game.

The actual squad is obviously great, but for the formation I've decided to work on I needed a few extras to pad out the squad, I decided that young players were the way forward for this.

Going to play a 4-1-3-2, so packing the middle and attempting to get the full backs pushing up for width as needed. Yossi and Malouda being able to play in the middle is pretty useful for me, really wish Zhirkov could play CM too. I'll probably use four from Lamps, Malouda, Essien, Henrique, Mikel, Sissoko, and Ramires as the first choice players with Yossi being my main guy off the bench. If needed I plan to switch to a 4-2-3-1 formation, with Anelka/Yossi pushing wide right, Malouda/Zhirkov going left. Drogba and Anelka to be my main forwards, with a youthful support cast of Lukaku, Neymar, and Sturridge. Back four will be Bossy/Ivanovic, Terry/Sakho, Alex/Luiz, Cole/Coentrao.

In:

Sakho, Henrique, Neymar, Lukaku, Sissoko, Coentrao, and maybe Luiz. Also some random young players called Medina, Rabello, and Kovacic. Not sure how good they can be, but all cost around £500k so hopefully they'll make me a bit of money in the future.

Out:

None so far, but PF, Kalou, Zhirkov, and Hilario are all possibilities.

The transfers generally have the same structure, £2.5m or £5m up front with £5m or £10m spread over 24 or 36 months. I don't really plan to spend or alter my squad much in the future, so decided it'd be fine to spend some money. Only one of my transfers will actually start regularly, and that's Henrique.

Any thoughts? Should I sign Luiz, or stick with Terry, Alex, and Sakho, with Ivanovic providing cover if needed?

Right, just started a new game. Had already started a season but signed far too many attackers without giving any thought to the defense and lost the majority of the matches. This time I'm gonna take my time and get things done properly. Will keep you updated but any tips on who to sign, look out for etc would be brilliant.

Cheers

Archived