Steam Problems FAQ and Basic Crash Troubleshooting

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am having the same issue with it not loading and creating an error file in teh crash dump. I have a Radeon HD5700 fully updated driver, updated DivX, windows 7, FM11 works fine.....but no luck with FM12 demo.

Seriously putting me off, If am having this much trouble with the demo, not sure i can be bothered with the full game. Which is a shame as i have bought most versions.

I´ve downloaded the demo fine, but when I open the game to play it (via Steam or the shortcut on the desktop) nothing opens but Steam starts counting my time played and when I try again I´m told that the game is already running and when I try to shut down Steam it tells me to close the game first. I´ve uninstalled and reinstalled and gone through the advice on the Steam troubleshooting blog and nothing works. I´m using Windows 7 starter on a Acer netbook (with more than enough memory) is that my problem?

Put this on the launch options its a problem FM has with netbooks

1 go to FM 2012 demo on your game library

2-right click on it and select properties

3-select set launch options

4 put this there : " -small_screen -windowed " without the "

5- try starting the game now

@mral those crash dumps are not steam related from what i can tell

try this

First of all you need to turn on hidden files and folders.

XP:

My Computer

'Tools'

'Folder Options'.

The go to the 'View' tab and select 'Show hidden files and folders'

VISTA and 7:

My Computer

'Organize'

'Folder and Search Options'.

Once this is done, follow the instructions below:

Windows XP:

1. Open “My Computer”

2. Navigate to : “Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\

3. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder.

4. Go to the “Football Manager 2011” Folder.

5. Delete the 'cache' Folder found inside here.

Wndows Vista and 7:

1. Click “Start”

2. Click your username on the start Menu

3. Click on “AppData” and then “Roaming”

4. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder

5. Go to the “Football Manager 2011” Folder.

6. Delete the 'cache' Folder found inside here.

i installed steam but i can't connect to the servers with the msg: "Unable to connect to Steam Network"

apparently steam doesn't work if you are behind a router...so i opened the required ports like it says on their support site....but it didn't change anything :(

then i read, that my firewall (ESET) may cause problems... i disabled it just to check if thats the problem....it isn't! :mad:

any suggestions?

go to C:\Program Files\Steam (or the Steam directory that was specified during installation).

Locate ClientRegistry.blob and rename this file to ClientRegistryOld.blob.

start Steam

there is definitly something blocking steam from connection , do you use peer gardian or similar?

go to C:\Program Files\Steam (or the Steam directory that was specified during installation).

Locate ClientRegistry.blob and rename this file to ClientRegistryOld.blob.

start Steam

there is definitly something blocking steam from connection , do you use peer gardian or similar?

it didn't help :(

and i'm not using peerguardian...eset smart security only

also i tried running steam.exe with -tcp (found the tipp in steam support forum)...of course it didn't change a thing....

try this it worked for me wen i used eset a long time ago ( keep in mind that this is from the 2008 version try to look for something similar to this instructions in case its not the same path )

Hi, try adjusting the protocol filtering settings for Steam.

1. From the main program window, press the F5 key to enter the Advanced Setup tree.

2. Click 'Antivirus and antispyware' -> 'Protocol Filtering'.

3. From the Advanced Setup tree, click 'Antivirus and antispyware' -> 'Web access protection' -> 'HTTP' -> 'Web browsers' and make sure that Steam is not selected.

Typically only real web browsers (iexplorer.exe, firefox.exe, etc.) will need to be selected. Let us know if this helps.

I give up.

I've tried deleting and re-installing, 5 times. I've tried 'verifying integrity of the cache'. Tried adding FM to the list of exclusions in BitDefender, then tried just deleting BitDefender altogether. Tried downloading updates for my video card, DirectX. Tried deleting, re-installing and restarting my computer straight after. Tried deleting the cache of FM11 like suggested by Aim_Less.

All of these never worked. Is it really so hard to just play a simple demo? I've never had bother playing a single game, demo or anything on my laptop up to now. So I give up. Is it worth it? Nah. I probably won't even buy the full game, why waste my time and money? I'll stick to FIFA.

Demo is not working for me either. I'm on a mac. Tried everything i can think of and have read. I'm running 10.6.8.

I have successfully downloaded the game but can't get it to run/open. I get an error that says "Football Manager 2012 v 12. 0 . 1 f 225815 quit unexpectedly"

Is there any way anybody can help me?

This is a pretty bad problem for SI to have. Really putting off new users as evidenced by conorfc's post.

I´ve downloaded the demo fine, but when I open the game to play it (via Steam or the shortcut on the desktop) nothing opens but Steam starts counting my time played and when I try again I´m told that the game is already running and when I try to shut down Steam it tells me to close the game first. I´ve uninstalled and reinstalled and gone through the advice on the Steam troubleshooting blog and nothing works. I´m using Windows 7 starter on a Acer netbook (with more than enough memory) is that my problem?

I have had the same problem, and the only difference is that I am using a laptop. I have tried some methods mentioned above. Still not working. Is there any method to fix it? Thanks a lot!

I have had the same problem, and the only difference is that I am using a laptop. I have tried some methods mentioned above. Still not working. Is there any method to fix it? Thanks a lot!
Put this on the launch options its a problem FM has with netbooks

1 go to FM 2012 demo on your game library

2-right click on it and select properties

3-select set launch options

4 put this there : " -small_screen -windowed " without the "

5- try starting the game now

Was answered around 10 posts above you.

samiam try the usual, verify the cache and defrag the game files.

I have tried those. Still not working.

I'm assuming you already tried a reboot, interesting. Are you running at your laptops native resolution?

Yeah i unfortunately tried that already. Are there any other directions for mac users? I cant find anything

I'd leave it to aim_less here, it's possible your system simply does not meet the requirements

I'm assuming you already tried a reboot, interesting. Are you running at your laptops native resolution?

I'd leave it to aim_less here, it's possible your system simply does not meet the requirements

Does this not meet requirements? Thanks for your help...

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook

Model Identifier: MacBook2,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07

SMC Version (system): 1.17f0

State: Enabled

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)

Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0

Boot Volume: MacBook Main Volume

Boot Mode: Normal

64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No

Time since boot: 3:03

Yes, I am using the native resolution. I had no problem about running 2011. I am using Vista by the way. Thanks for your reply!

samiam. Humm, it doesn't look like it wouldn't run the game, even though your GPU is not listed judging by the other components it wouldn't be so bad it would cause any problems; Perhaps you could try updating your GPU drivers see if that does anything.

auggie. Ugh, vista, but as bad as it is an OS it should still work, try the usual, updating your BIOS and GPU drivers. Personally i've never had a problem with my netbook when it comes to FM so i can't really help you much there; It should work but for some reason it isn't. Can you just confirm that when you boot the game up via steam and it registers it as running you notice a FM2012 process running in the task manager?

samiam. Humm, it doesn't look like it wouldn't run the game, even though your GPU is not listed judging by the other components it wouldn't be so bad it would cause any problems; Perhaps you could try updating your GPU drivers see if that does anything.

auggie. Ugh, vista, but as bad as it is an OS it should still work, try the usual, updating your BIOS and GPU drivers. Personally i've never had a problem with my netbook when it comes to FM so i can't really help you much there; It should work but for some reason it isn't. Can you just confirm that when you boot the game up via steam and it registers it as running you notice a FM2012 process running in the task manager?

I start the game via steam, and the process is shown in the task manager. After waiting for the game to respond for about 30 minutes, a crush showed up instead named v12.0.1.225828. I am going to update my BIOS and GPU drivers to see if they would work. Thank you so much!

Hello,

I have an issue with FM2012 demo. Downloaded it via Steam and when i start it it goes normally trough intro, leauge page, credits, and then when it it supposed to show a menu game crashes to desktop. No error message, nothing. It's not running a process either. Just quits.

I checked the file integrity via steam, tried to clean cache, rebooted to no avail. I'm running a standard PC desktop, requirements are of course met. The only thing that comes up to my mind are the new beta drivers from nvidia (those for Battlefield 3), but I will not uninstall them and they did not cause trouble at any other game.

Oh - I'm running 64-bit Windows 7.

Hello,

I have an issue with FM2012 demo. Downloaded it via Steam and when i start it it goes normally trough intro, leauge page, credits, and then when it it supposed to show a menu game crashes to desktop. No error message, nothing. It's not running a process either. Just quits.

I checked the file integrity via steam, tried to clean cache, rebooted to no avail. I'm running a standard PC desktop, requirements are of course met. The only thing that comes up to my mind are the new beta drivers from nvidia (those for Battlefield 3), but I will not uninstall them and they did not cause trouble at any other game.

Oh - I'm running 64-bit Windows 7.

Ive got the exact same problem as yourself

@ Jme10 check yout timezone setting ( windows clock) if it doesnt work here are several fixes

Ways to tell there may be a problem:

Right Click 'Computer' in explorer and then 'Manage'.

- Expand Services and Applications

- Select Services

- Look for 'Steam Client Service'.

- If it is running when Steam is not, there is a problem.

- If it not running and Steam is, there is a problem.

If the file in <Program Files>\Common Files\Steam\SteamService.exe has a different time/size than <Steam Install>\bin\SteamService.exe, there is a problem.

(Note: For 64 bit OS, the Program Files will be the (x86) version.)

(Note: Steam can be installed wherever you choose, but the service will almost always be on C:\...)

To Fix (First Try)

Exit Steam

Open a 'Command Prompt' (cmd.exe if you are using 'Run...' from the start menu)

Run: "c:\Program Files\Steam\bin\SteamService.exe" /repair

Note: Change "c:\Program Files" to wherever you have steam installed. For a 64 bit OS the default would be: "c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\bin\SteamService.exe" /repair

Start Steam

To Fix (If that didn't work)

Exit Steam

Delete the file:

32 bit Windows: "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Steam\SteamService.exe"

64 bit Windows: "c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Steam\SteamService.exe"

Restart Steam

To Fix (at your own risk)

Exit Steam

Kill SteamService.exe from the task manager

Copy the version from <Steam Install>\Bin into <Program Files>\Common Files\Steam

Restart Steam

To Fix (Safer, or if the above doesn't work)

Exit Steam

Open the Control Panel

Open 'Programs and Features'

Right Click on 'Steam' and select 'Repair'

This operation can take awhile.Joe

@ those with crashdumps thats an issue with the game not caused by steam , try mario-623 advice it may work

@ Karr try updating java runtime and directx

@ozzy968 steam://install/71280#

put that into your browser or your 'RUN' box, this in turn will launch Steam and should download the game.

I've got an issue that I haven't seen anyone mention so far. I installed the game yesterday and played it fine until I re-started my laptop an hour ago, when I try to launch the game the following error message appears:

6tmmib.jpg

I've tried the "Verify Integrity..." tip but still no joy.

gigi252: look ate post number 733 the solution to Jme10 applies to you aswell

@Mattyc try erasing the game cache files

First of all you need to turn on hidden files and folders.

XP:

My Computer

'Tools'

'Folder Options'.

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

My Computer

'Organize'

'Folder and Search Options'.

Once this is done, follow the instructions below:

Windows XP:

1. Open “My Computer”

2. Navigate to : “Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\

3. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder.

4. Go to the “Football Manager 2011” Folder.

5. Delete the 'cache' Folder found inside here.

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

1. Click “Start”

2. Click your username on the start Menu

3. Click on “AppData” and then “Roaming”

4. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder

5. Go to the “Football Manager 2011” Folder.

6. Delete the 'cache' Folder found inside here.

http://i.imgur.com/qbqpY.png

FM has not run once, I just get this. I have verified the files then it downloads a 40 mb file. This changes nothing, I also deleted the cache (though it was empty so it didn't really do anything :p)

Currently, it more-or-less means you're not gonna be playing the FM12 demo. I've had it and tried fixing it since Thursday but had no luck, I've just given up trying things. Let me know if anything works for you mate :)

Hmmm... I'm downloading the demo via Steam and I've noticed something very odd.

On Friday under Current Network Usage Steam says that it has downloaded 2,370MB. However, in the FM12 Demo box it says that it has downloaded 452MB / 2,650.8MB

Does anyone know where the rest of the download has disappeared to?

On Saturday I tried to verify the game cache. I left it to run all day and when I got back to my laptop it was still at 100% and when I re-started the download, the files it downloadeds still keep disappearing.

I deleted all the files this morning and re-started the download. Before it had downloaded anything I verified the cache and left it for 30mins. When I went back to my laptop it was still stuck on 100%. Surely it shouldn't take 30mins to verify the cache if nothing has downloaded yet?

I started the download for a few mins to see what happens. It has 50MB total downloaded and just 20.1MB / 2650.8MB in the FM12 Demo box.

I have purchased games via Steam before and never had a problem. I do not have any other games it is trying to download files for.

Can anyone help me? I've never used steam before, I've downloaded Steam and registered etc, I have then downloaded the demo as well but every time I try to open FM2012 all I get is this:

Football Manager 2012 v 12 . 0 . 1 f 225816 quit unexpectedly

I've tried using the Verify integrity of game cache feature on steam to no success.

I'm trying the demo on Mac.

Thanks

Bow x

Ive got the exact same problem as yourself

I had exactly this problem, but all i had to do was open the game from the STEAM interface, ie go to game library, football manager 2012 demo and then click the play tab.

If i try and launch the game from the desktop shortcut, or my C; program files>steam>apps>common>fm.exe then it just crashes after the licensing screen.

Give it a go, it helped someone else i told this to earlier...

And if anyone from SEGA / SI is reading this - any idea why this is the case, or how i can fix it?

I updated java, direct x, changed my resolution, tried to start it in window mode via -window command (in steam properties) and of course launched it via steam library and trough desktop icon. Nothing works, I still can't play it.

Thanks Aim_Less. However, I've tried that. I get an initial boost and the download flies, but then the amount downloaded keeps getting bigger, but the amount actually downloaded for the FM12 demo either stalls or increases by a tiny amount.

Archived