Wolfsong's guide to team talks - Fm08

Just want to say what an excellent post. My Hull team in 2011 was struggling and getting mixed results, especially at home. Started following this as opposed to my constant "do it for the fans" and the results have been superb. My first half performances have been anything but flat - in fact have gone from drawing or being 1-0 up or down to holding 2+ goal leads. Thanks for taking the time to study this in such detail and providing such insight.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a great read Wolfsong. I always used to let my ass. manager take control of the team talks. After looking at this post I now realized whata mistake I was making. For example I have just played Liverpool at Anfield. Was extremely lucky to be drawing 1-1. Followed your instructions and won...4-1. Great stuff altogether. Thanks a million.

I decided to try something a little different. I was playing away against Sevilla and was slightly favored. Before the match I told the team "We can win this" and so we scored 2 goals in the first half. At half time I decided to tell them "I don't expect your performance to drop". Now I think we were doing fine and maybe I should have said that I was pleased instead, but I didn't. I also told whoever got an 8 that I had faith in them. In the second half we go on an absolute rampage and score 4 more goals and I thought, well, the talk must of been effective. After the match I go to check the feedback and I see that 3 of the players were Angry after the half time team talk, and ones I told I had faith were happy or inspired. So my question is, is making your players angry a good thing sometimes? Does it light a fire under them and makes them rise to the occasion?

Awesome post. Not only have my results picked up, but I'm keeping more clean sheets, and scoring more. In fact, where there used to be 3/4 of the matches with the rival gk as MOM, now, it's invariably one of my strikers that I 'have faith in'. Excellent.

hi

what should my teamtalk be for subs at the end of a match?

all my subs got 6s but im unsure what to do here because they may not of had time to make an impact on the match.

cheers

Great Stuff Wolfsong !

I just wonder how you handle post-match individual talk to players who stayed in dressing home by half time rated 6. Nevertheless disappointed ?

And for substitutes ? How long does he has to be in the match to get either a teamtalk or an individual talk at all ? 15 minutes, 20, 30...?

Just an advice, dont say " I want to see more from you" to your Gk when you are 0-1 down at half time. They get " stressed" which is = very poor performance icon_smile.gif

I did that to dida vs inter and in the 2nd half they scored 3 goals and he got an 5 in match rating icon_frown.gif

Nice one, Wolfsong!

Now, I am confused a little bit. If a player got 6 for HT, should I say "I have faith!" or "Disapointed!"? Or it depends on Home or Away.

How about player with 6 for FT? Pleased? or anything?

Meanwhile, I notice that if the team rating drops a little bit (from 7 to 6 or 8 to 7) at the end of the match, say 8x mins, which the opposite score (as you know, AI usually play 4-2-4 for more goals at the end of the match), should I just follow the final rating or use their performance overall in the match for the teamtalk?

Originally posted by Joor:

Just an advice, dont say " I want to see more from you" to your Gk when you are 0-1 down at half time. They get " stressed" which is = very poor performance icon_smile.gif

I did that to dida vs inter and in the 2nd half they scored 3 goals and he got an 5 in match rating icon_frown.gif

I think that's because of Dida's personality. I've done that same talk to Valdes in Barca and I've yet to see him perform badly afterwards.

Originally posted by Powermonger:

Anyone else have problems with poor first-half performances? I just can't seem to get my team motivated enough.

Definitely - I had this for a few seasons, just couldn't score in the 1st half, usually ended up telling the team they were disappointing, which was usually enough to win the game in the 2nd half.

I did notice this seemed to coincide with me "no commenting" to the media before the match (I came to the conclusion that it upset my players!) - Responding with anything other than "no comment" seemed to make my 1st halves much better.

Are you responding to the media?

Maybe I'm imagining this affects the 1st half, but I do it all the time now and have no complaints with my team.

WoIfsong - do you do anything different with cup games? When my team's playing well, lots of 8's & 9's, but then play in a cup game, and everyone's on a 6 against inferior opposition.

Several times I've played a team in consecutive games, thrashed them in the league, then lost the cup game with a poor performance, despite being on a 10 match unbeaten run!

Anyway, just like to say thanks for the guide, it really does work, and I've lost count the number of games I've turned round at half time.

The only thing I do different is to not use the "I expect a win" I have lost or drew games that I really should have won when using that talk.

Originally posted by Dirty_ACE:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joor:

I think that's because of Dida's personality. I've done that same talk to Valdes in Barca and I've yet to see him perform badly afterwards. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think your are right; Dida got 11 pressure, and since it was an away game the "I want to see more from you" is maybe abit to much for him to handle icon_smile.gif

Have faith would be better perhaps ?

@ davegould: I don't believe that pre match media comments have negative effects if you say "no comment". I've neglected to answer the media a few times myself but the team still performed well.

Sometimes if I'm dissatisfied with the first half, mostly if we're drawing, then I'll just skip the half time team talk completely, which seems to have an effect of its own like you're letting the players know that you're not a happy camper and I've seen noticeable improvements in the second half because of it.

@ Joor: I'm not sure, I've noticed the "have faith" talk works well with determined, resilient and resolute personalities, same with the "dissapointed" talk. That one also works with professional personalities. In Dida's case, he is a jovial personality so you have to be more sensitive with him. I guess "have faith" would work, or maybe even "no pressure". I think you might need to experiment with it.

One other thing that I've recently observed. If you go into a player's coaching report, sometimes the coach will tell you if the player enjoys big matches or if he doesn't. For example in my team I have Saivet but he doesn't like big matches, so what I've started doing with him it tell him "no pressure" at pretty much every match and I've seen a considerable improvement from him.

This really is a great read and has helped me an awful lot. Thanks Wolfsong.

Things I have found though. If I say encourage to my team at half time when we're a goal up, more often than not, the opposition scores within 5 mins of the restart.

When I give my full time team talk saying pleased I get most og the team not listening.

Anybody having similar things happen?

How about you Wolfsong?

I have now a 13 match unbeaten run with Caernarfon in the welsh league. Won last six matches.

We were predicted to finish 17th, and are now second, chasing the leaders.

I have only crap players, but thanks to wolfsongs guide I have managed to keep morale high.

Good work, Wolfsong.

To others, follow this guide, it will help you a lot.

All I can add is Teamtalk has too much influence and the fact this if the above is right then I’ve been doing it wrong..not the actual thought but the actual way the game takes it…..for example “have faith†always seemed to me to be “ your playing rubbish but I know you can do better†I always thought having faith would set alarm bells ringing for a player!

Thanks for the responses again.

Just answering a couple of questions on this page:

lsmyd: when a player makes a mistake that lead to goals either by giving away a penalty, own goal or giving the ball away, his rating is reduced to 5 immediately and I always substitute him off immediately. This is because from my experience he will stay at a 5, if not lower, for the remainder of the 1/2, sometimes he will make more mistakes. If I do not substitute him off and I try 'angry' or 'disappointing' at 1/2 time to him, there is no guarantee that it will work, so I usually don't risk it.

lfc7: for friendlies, I often leave my assistant to take care of the first few friendlies. When I play friendlies, I always say 'pressure off' 'enjoy the runout' 'result not important' or other equivalents at the start.

Filbert Fox: I personally like 'encourage' as the general team talk the best, because for me it always gives me positive feedbacks such as happy, looked delighted, seemed motivated etc. I have not experienced getting equalised a lot after an 'encourage' 1/2 time teamtalk. Maybe checking the feedbacks of 'encourage' after the match will give us a clue of what happened. Again the effect also varies according to squad/player personality, my squads are usually determined or professional.

And for 'pleased' as a general team talk after the match, yes after a few games you will start to get 'does not seem to be listening' a lot. The use of 'pleased' after the game is to keep your relationship with your players good and avoid the negative effect - 'not recognising the team's contributions' by saying something else or not saying anything postmatch.

Wolfsong,

Thanks for the reply. I used to use encourage all the time on FM07 and this worked well. I will start using it more and check the feedback.

I guess if I keep winning and telling the players I'm pleased they're going to get bored with the same full time team talk every week so they're bound not to listen after a while???

Fantastic thread, Wolfsong!

I just want to say that upon reading the thread I sent a letter to Sigames to insert a new item in the manager's options:

"Leave teamtalks and mediatalks to Wolfsong"

Seriously, I have had a lot of problems with teamtalks I guess because I looked at the results rather than at ratings.

After reading this I will definitely reconsider how I proceed with talks.

Wolfsong,

first off: thank you very much for your guide.

It seems to be working in my game! But then again, my team-spirit was (and still is) professional, determined, and they will die for each other! Morale usually is superb (I have won the Dutch Cup 2 times in a row, Dutch Premier Division 4 times in a row, and the European Championship 2 times in the last 3 years).

But I got a few questions:

1. When my ST has a 6 at HT, I'd say "disappointed", and sub him for another ST with "I've faith".

But what do I tell the starting ST at FT, for that matter all subbed players? Nothing? Team-talk? Again "Disappointed"?

2. Usually I substitute a couple of players at around 70 min (either because of a low rating, or bad condition).

The oncoming subs sometimes end up with a 6 rating at the end. What do I tell either one of them (the sub and the subbed) at FT?

3. In a home game against one of my close rivals (a derby in fact), I told the Press: "We can win if we play at our best." According to the bookies we were slight favorites to win. The pre-match team-talk was "I expect a win".

At HT, the score was 1-1, and everyone of them had either a 7, or superb morale and a 6 rating. I did not substitute anyone, and my team-talk was "One more goal will do it". No personal messages.

At FT, we won 2-1, complete team had a 7 rating, my ST (2 goals) an 8. I gave everyone the "well-done" speech.

After consulting the AssMan team-talk feedback, the whole team had the "Seemed to not be listening" report.

Is that good, bad, or in the middle? Did I do something wrong?

Originally posted by Psychoward Outpatient:

Hmmmm, for some reason my "you can make the difference" speach seems to have dissapeared from the game! Has anyone seen it running around somewhere?

It depends on your pre-match (or was it half time) team talk if it is available or not.

Fox: I do not worry about the effect 'does not seem to be listening' because as you said, it is bound to happen after a while. But there are no negative effects associated with it.

Thanks Assenuma and hope you have success.

Lioncasa: Thank you for your feedback and questions.

1 - At FT I'd just keep the general team talk on the substituted players, unless he is on a 5 or 8.

2 - I also keep the general team talk on the late subs, because most of the times they will be on 6 and it is unfair to say disappointed to them given the short appearance time.

3- Again "does not seem to be listening' does not bother me, it has no negative effects. I just imagine that the players are used to and expect a well done speech after a win, so they do not pay much attention to it. However there is negative effect if you don't say well done after a win. Therefore saying well done is still required. Maybe you could have said 'delighted' to the two 8s, then there is a chance that they are 'happy' and your relationship with those players are strengthened.

Psychoward: 'You can make the difference' does not appear in home league matches, 'you have faith' is the way to go there.

Brilliant, just brilliant.

Been following your guide this evening and have taken my MK Dons team to the top of league 2, now on a 12 game winning run, and to top it all I have just knocked premiership Blackburn out of the cup!!,

thanks Wolfsong, your a legend

Originally posted by WoIfsong:

Fox: I do not worry about the effect 'does not seem to be listening' because as you said, it is bound to happen after a while. But there are no negative effects associated with it.

Lioncasa: Thank you for your feedback and questions.

1 - At FT I'd just keep the general team talk on the substituted players, unless he is on a 5 or 8.

2 - I also keep the general team talk on the late subs, because most of the times they will be on 6 and it is unfair to say disappointed to them given the short appearance time.

3- Again "does not seem to be listening' does not bother me, it has no negative effects. I just imagine that the players are used to and expect a well done speech after a win, so they do not pay much attention to it. However there is negative effect if you don't say well done after a win. Therefore saying well done is still required. Maybe you could have said 'delighted' to the two 8s, then there is a chance that they are 'happy' and your relationship with those players are strengthened.

Psychoward: 'You can make the difference' does not appear <STRIKE>in home league matches</STRIKE>, 'you have faith' is the way to go there.

Sorry I meant it did not appear 'in matches where you are leading by 1/2 time'.... too long no play -.-

Originally posted by WoIfsong:

I actually played a couple of games with your thread open to consult from it. It worked more than fine.

I play with Crawley in the BSP. Playeed away to Leeds Utd in the FA Cup. It was 3-1 at HT but then I used your advice about making a HT sub and encourage the sub striker. It worked like a treat! He scored and we pushed them till the end. At 3-2 we missed two 1v1 against the keeper.

Then I won 2-0 away to Forest Green. It was 0-0 at HT and instead of the usual "disappointing" i used "we can win" and we did with two quick early 2nd half goals icon_smile.gif.

Hey Wolfsong!

Thanks for the deeply helpful guide! icon_smile.gif It's pretty much the same as what i've been using in my teamtalk strategy, except that I rarely used individual teamtalk. After reading this, I do it more often and find it works very well.

However, there's one thing about general teamtalk at HT when the team is leading (doesn't matter the goal margin). IMO, the response "doesn't seem to be listening" is pretty much a negative effect. It's like that players are being less focus in what they've been doing. and getting complacent. And this response is what you often get when say "pleased", "thrilled" (big goal margin).

"Doesn't seem to be listening" is a pretty dangerous effect when it happens on defenders. In my two recent matches against Lazio (Serie A) and Werder Bremen (Super Cup). I led them 3-0 (Lazio), and 3-1 (W.Bremen) by HT, but the 2nd half, I conceded 2 more because of the effect "Doesn't seem to be listening" when I said "Pleased" to them, and I think "Thrilled" will produce the same result. And to be honest, I hesisted between "Pleased" and "Don't let your performance drop". Luckily enough that my strikers still kept their form and hit two more against W.Bremen to win me the Cup icon_smile.gif

It's worth noted that I'm very consistent in my strategy, I don't change the formation during matches, only the mental is reduced a little (last notch of Normal), when I'm leading I still want my players to keep the same level of pressure on the opponent.

Ahhh. great post. I've been following it and moved up to a tie for first in League 2 after 26 games. Fell to third though after an away loss to the 17th ranked team. I had a dominating 2-0 halftime lead, gave the usual speeches. they scored 3 goals in the next ten minutes and the game ended 5-2. As suspected in the news, the captain praised his managers half time speech.

Now my question is this. After they scored their second goal and 3 "fantastic" saves by my keeper, I realized the manager gave "The Speech". So I switched from my usual tactic I use when I'm expecting to win to my defensive, countering tactic. Obviously, it didn't help. These games don't happen very often but I was wondering if anyone has an idea about how to respond tactically.

Oh, and it's weird seeing my GK get an 8 after giving up 5 goals.

**BUMP** I just want to say that this still works in 8.0.2.

A little tip for you all is ; take a screenshot before the game where you can see which teamtalk you picked. And at halftime - save both player ratings and the teamtalk.

After the match go ask the assistant manager for feedback and save that picture also.

Now , make a new folder somewhere on your HD and save them all in date order.

This is very very usefull to categorize your players behavior in all kind of situations.

An area of the game I've never seemed to get my head round but this has helped a lot so thanks.

I always thought telling your players you are dissapointed with them would do nothing but lower morale, however following your guide it really does change they're performance mostly for the better!

Originally posted by Joor:

Is it just me or the "expect a performance" and "pick up where you left off" has no impact on feedback from the assistant manager ?

IMO, you should say "Expect a performance" to players who reacted to pre-match press talk or opponent's manager's comments, if his morale's improved by these actions, then you should say "Expect a performance" to them. If their morale is lowered which means he handles pressure not so good, choices are that either you replace him by an adequate player or say "No pressure" to him in pre-match teamtalk.

Another thing I've just thought of recently that players who are having goal drought and it becomes their slight concern like 'determined not to let his lack of goals worry him' or something like that, we should say "No pressure" to him in pre-match teamtalk so that the player is more relaxed.

However, those are just my own assumptions, I haven't tested it through yet. If someone has an occasion to test it (with players who have goal drought, react to prematch press), please give it a try and post some feedback here to see if there're something worth noticing.

PS: 'Disappointing' to players who have 6 at HT is not always 100% working. I once had a crisis when I say 'Disappointing' to Huntelaar as he had 6 rating at HT, the player then 'lost confidence, angerred, confused' during match. Worse he had slight concern after match that I had 'treated him unfairly' and feel 'hashly treated in matchday teamtalk'. The guy has his reasons because he's fairly consistent during the last 5 years.

Originally posted by jacknewthoughts:

how can you see how all the players reacted to your pre-match and half-time talks?

In your team screen, click on Assistance advice in Action Menus, you can get teamtalk feedback there.

On that feedback screen, click on top-right to see Prematch, or HT reaction.

Archived