The Team-Talk Options You Would Like To See Available:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I don't want any other team talks, the ones available first need an effect. If i get the rapport from my assistent, it says with 9/10: "No effect/ wasn't listening"

There is no use in adding new speeches if they aren't going to have any effect. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would you not prefer a successful overhaul?

Where new options were made available, and all of them had a sufficient effect.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

I seriously have no idea what to say when I go a goal up at half time. So many times I've said I was 'Pleased' and they go all complacent and concede goals. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Show encouragement, works most of the time.

I'd like to be able to tell my fullbacks that insist on being much further up field than my cb's when the AI go 4 2 4 despite having forward runs set to rarely.

If I see you even thinking about going past the half way line I will transfer list you at full time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">none, I hate team talks!

I see how they are relevant but I don't like that or the media feature which I think is crappy anyway. It should either be totally awesome or not in at all, at the moment it's pants. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd prefer it if they were totally awesome, because I like the feature, and if it was improved, it would be really good.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bRAzIL:

none, I hate team talks!

I see how they are relevant but I don't like that or the media feature which I think is crappy anyway. It should either be totally awesome or not in at all, at the moment it's pants. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Totally agree i left mine to my AM who clearly wasnt even watching what was happening...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Totally agree i left mine to my AM who clearly wasnt even watching what was happening... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would you use them if they were better though?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bRAzIL:

none, I hate team talks!

Agree. There just isn't enough options, and two or three matches into a season and you reach that "Didn't Seem to be listening" tedium.

Team talks seem completely pointless, and it's just a game of avoiding the auto-lose button. (As pointed out many times by Serpico)

Would you actually be stupid enough to say "You've got one hand on the cup" whilst leading a final at half-time?

You just know you're almost guaranteed to turn the players into jellied eels with 50p heads.

It's a totally useless option to have.

(In fact, thats probably what Carlo Ancelotti said to the boys at half-time in Istanbul) icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saumyajit:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

I seriously have no idea what to say when I go a goal up at half time. So many times I've said I was 'Pleased' and they go all complacent and concede goals. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Show encouragement, works most of the time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Somehow when I encourage them while leading by a goal, it results in either:

Confused - "What do you mean we can do better? Aren't we leading already?"

or

Angry - "What? Not good enough for ya? Huh? HUH?!"

I'm exaggerating of course, but usually that is what happens. I only encourage when we're level or trailing narrowly.

Totally agree with all. Some amazing suggestions in there, and summat i will definitely in favour of. SI definitely need to look at it and re-vamp the media engine, as it gets BORING after about the fifth match!! always the same scenarios and questions. On one occasion, i was sochaux and it was down to the last game, Lyon were 2 points ahead of me. One of the players said "determined to win the league" there was nothing else!!1 i mean, last couple of games of season, going down to the wire, itchy bum time n'all, and no hype in press or anything, this is what its all about, passion and glory, but nothing in media.... so definitely needs a look at. By the way, i won my last game 3-2 and Lyon lost 2-1, i won, yay. icon_biggrin.gif

This was one of my biggest disappointments in 08, that there was no serious update of team talks. FM is clearly heading in a more tactical direction (which I like), which makes the actions of the manager more important, and success less about buying the obvious star players. But with this in mind, surely the team talks would be an absolute priority? My main points would be:

- More options and more realistic options needed, what we have now is far too generic and simply gets boring (and bordering on pointless) in no time at all

- The ability to have a word to subs as they come on is an absolute necessity and it is ridiculous in the extreme that it has not happened yet

- There is an almost total absence of ability to involve the captain in any real way in the game. There should be an ability to give specific messages to the captain, and even for the captain to give talks to the rest of the team (isn’t this what having a good captain is all about?)

- There needs to be an overhaul of the effect of the team talks. I like the idea that diff players respond in diff ways depending on situation/personality, but this area of the game is still far too random and results are not clear enough.

In summary, SI, if you are going to include team talks, make them worthwhile in both a tactical sense and a gameplay sense (neither applies at the moment). Give us substance, not fluff. This is not FIFA!

Phew, that feels better!

What makes me laugh is that one of the 'Offical FM Tips' from the loading screens is be careful not to keep repeating your team talks or they may have less of an effect.

If I had more than 5 to choose from then they might not be so repetitive!

When you finally become a good team my team talks pretty much consist of the following:

Home Games - I expect a win

Away Games - You can win today

I'd like to see more tactical orientated ones as some have mentioned like,

Try and keep hold of the ball

Get rough with them

Get balls in the box

Run at them

Play your natural game

Shoot on sight

Command your area more, push the defenders out

For me the issue is not what the words are it is what effect they have on the players - for example is "why can't you play like this everytime" meant to be a compliment or a criticism.

i tend to think comments are rated fro bad to good in the drop down box so this says it is a good comment but my team always thinks that I am criticsing them when i say this - what I am trying to say is youi did brilliantly

so some idea of the effect of the wordw ould be useful - I know it depend son the player's attitude but a matrix would help to unpick the meaning.

Once, I was in the lead of the premier division and needed only one win from four matches to win the title. I drew twice (Norwich and Wigan) and lost once (to Boro!!). The "Angry" team talk passed to deaf ears, and three times (before the matches) two of my players made a comment about "rallying the troops" and I was like "oh ****in' useless"

I wish in the match engine there was something more indicative of a players morale so it's easier to see if the half-time team talk or pre-match is having any effect. After looking at the CM08 I like how each player has a morale indicator that updates real time.

I also wish the post-match report from your Assistant gives a summary of how your team talks were received by the squad. It's annoying to have to keep going to the squad page and then select Assistant Advice > Team Talk Feedback.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Powermonger:

I wish in the match engine there was something more indicative of a players morale so it's easier to see if the half-time team talk or pre-match is having any effect. After looking at the CM08 I like how each player has a morale indicator that updates real time.

I also wish the post-match report from your Assistant gives a summary of how your team talks were received by the squad. It's annoying to have to keep going to the squad page and then select Assistant Advice > Team Talk Feedback. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is an excellent point, in fact a key one. Your assistant manager will tell you after a game, if you look at his feedback, of how players reacted to your team talk.

Now lets say one player is, 'Angered, seemed demotivated'

Wouldn't that be more use to you at the time instead of after the final whistle?

Imagine Alex Ferguson giving the hairdryer treatment to his players and then both strikers go on to struggle they lose the game.

After the game Ferguson is chatting to Queiroz and he says yeh they were both angry at your team talk thats why they were rubbish.

Feruson would be like, well why the hell didn't you tell me that at the time!!!! I could have said something else to them afterwards.

E.g. Queiroz tells Fergie that Rooney is angered by his teamtalk of expecting more from him, he could call him across early in the second half when the ball goes out of play and give a quick comment of I only expect more from you Wayne because I know you have it in you, now go play your natural game.

Also its all well and good the assistant spotting a few things but surely if we are giving the team talks then we would have a good indication of how they reacted.

I guess it could be solved in a way by giving your team talk, clicking confirm and getting immediate responses similiar to the ones in the Assistant Feedback section of how the players reacted.

Losing by 2+ goals at half time and playing poorly against similar/slightly better opposition:

Forget about the first hald lads, Let's win this half and restore some pride.

There is the "expect to perform better" one, but putting pressure on people to do something is different than positively encouraging them. In this situation the "encourage" option isn't available either.

Archived