Idea/request for additional info on player profiles regarding merchandising.

In theory it is a good idea. But how could you calculate the contribution? For me in real life it would be impossible, or certainly very difficult. So in FM then it would be even harder. Merchandising is not just shirt sales. An example would be The Manchester United player Park Ji-Sung. It was believed he brought lots of money into the club through the 'Asian' market... But could we allocate £xm per season to him etc etc. We would be plucking figures from out of the sky. It is the extent to wish a player will contribute. And for me it would be very hard to calculate.

Clubs know exactly how much a player has generated through shirt sales and individual merchandise, a lot of players today have a merchandise deal added to their contract so they get a percentage, if it was implemented into the game it should show only the previous seasons value and have a option in contract negotiations to offer a player a percentage or for a player to demand it.

I've always thought the finances needed improving on FM giving a more structured breakdown and allowing clubs to add sponsorship deals, currently the number of deals you get offered remains the same as when you start the game. So if you start off with a team in the Npower league 1 and get them promoted to the premiership sponsorship money goes up but the amount of deals stays the same, yet manage Man Utd and you get 20+ deals whether you remain in the Prem or not.

A general description would be excellent, I wouldn't want detail to the nearest pound though, both as it is impossible to calculate IRL, and because it is dynamic anyway.

But the general idea to include a line in the profile regarding the impact of a player on merchandise/fan opinion is a great one.

As well as this the description would help when selling a player - for example as Swansea I sold Wayne Routlege, he was neither an icon or a favored player and yet I still got a message in the board confidence saying that "the fans were disappointed with the departure of Wayne Routlege". IMO it would help when selling a player as you might reconsider if it would harm your relationship with the board/fans.

Adding to the above point about the description and relationships with the fans it brought to mind the documentary about QPR that was on the BBC not that long ago, where the owners met supporters trust to give them an update on things surrounding the clubs and took questions surrounding the recent decisions that had been made. Although under the current interaction system I would be reluctant to add this, if it was improved then I would definitely be up for adding this to the game.

As well as this the description would help when selling a player - for example as Swansea I sold Wayne Routlege, he was neither an icon or a favored player and yet I still got a message in the board confidence saying that "the fans were disappointed with the departure of Wayne Routlege". IMO it would help when selling a player as you might reconsider if it would harm your relationship with the board/fans.

Was he maybe listed pre-sale under the list of players the fans have a peculiar opinion on? He doesn't need to be a club icon or anything for that.

And if it ends up weakening the team anyway..

Was he maybe listed pre-sale under the list of players the fans have a peculiar opinion on? He doesn't need to be a club icon or anything for that.

And if it ends up weakening the team anyway..

Nope, he wasn't - I'd just spotted a replacement who was much better and I needed the cash from his sale in order to put through the deal. It wasn't until after both transfers had gone through that I noticed the fans opinion on the confidence page.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I get a news item annually telling me the domestic/foreign income due to shirt sales with a ranked list of the players.

I think the club needs to be at a certain standard to get it though, maybe continental/worldwide reputation.

It would be better if this screen was accessible at any time during the year though, and at any club.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to see this feature (that's been requested for apparently 4 years now), as aside from the once-a-year listing of the top-5 jersey sales from my club, no other specific mention is made. I am disappointed that my team captain for the past 10 years, who has been capped 80+ games at the senior level, has never broke into the top-5 jersey list - apparently because he's a center back.

This is a brilliant idea.

There used to be a message a few games ago when you made a marquee signing about a sales boost in shirts.

Would love to see a merchandising section and how much they contribute to the clubs finances.

Most importantly - how this affects your finances if/when they leave.

Archived