Managing In Germany...

Okay, here's the main reason why I made this thread.

I have never managed in Germany, in the 3 or so years that I've been playing FM.

I would like to try my hand at this, but I don't know where to start.

Ideally, I would like to take a team from the Second Division(it's the lowest I've uploaded, so I'm not going any lower).

However, I've been looking at the options of teams, and I'm not sure on who to choose.

Personally, I'd like a real challenge. I see a challenge in Koblenz(they have 3 points deducted), but Media Prediction 13th(out of 18), suggests that they will still do reasonable.

1860. Munchen,who I am extremely interested in, and were the team I was going to manage, are Media Prediction 9th, which implies that they will do well, especially with Good Training facilities, Excellent Youth Facilities AND a Youth Academy, It makes me feel that it might be a little too easy...

Perhaps I'm being too picky, but I'd rather manage a team that I'd heard of, which aren't 9th or above for Media Prediction.

This leaves me with Osnabruck, Augsburg, FSV Frankfurt(who are Media Prediction 18th, which is appealing), Kaiserslautern, Koblenz and Oberhausen.

Now, to my point, out of these 6 teams, has anybody managed them before - I realise that I may be asking for a lot here.

I really wish to try my hand at the 2.Bundesliga, but I don't want a 'Walk in the park' scenario, but I don't want to manage a team which I'd never heard of.

Has anybody managed any of these six, and found it to be too easy, or too difficult?

Or should I just do as I originally wished, and take the chance of 1860 Munchen?

Any help would be appreciated. =)

Thanks.

I managed Osnabruck in one of the old Football Managers, got them to the top league, champions league, but the complete lack of ambition from the board, made me leave and manage chelsea. But I found it to be brilliant!!! I might actually do one after typing this lol

I couldn't be bothered waiting a while for a reply, so went for 1860 Munchen.

It should be interesting. I've got a good squad, and the best players are late 20s, early 30s. But the back-ups are all 24 or younger, so I'd switched it around, and I've got the back-ups for my first team.

However, I will be considering the other teams, if this isn't so successful. =)

• 3 months later...
I couldn't be bothered waiting a while for a reply, so went for 1860 Munchen.

It should be interesting. I've got a good squad, and the best players are late 20s, early 30s. But the back-ups are all 24 or younger, so I'd switched it around, and I've got the back-ups for my first team.

However, I will be considering the other teams, if this isn't so successful. =)

How did you go with 1860. I have just taken them on. Any players you would recommend.

Kaiserslautern have great potential, having been champions just 11 years ago.

1860 should be a massive challenge if their finances are modelled correctly. They are hardly able to survive economically in the 2. Bundesliga and need to win promotion soon or they have a huge problem...

Oberhausen, Koblenz and Osnabrück are minnow teams with no real life potential to win promotion from 2. Bundesliga at all. Choosing one of them might be rewarding for that reason.

hth :)

Hansa Rostock are a team with potential, but still enough of a challenge.

I managed to get them promoted at 3rd time asking, and struggled to stay up but managed it and got them a top 10 side in the next 5 years.

I know you didn't mention them, but St. Pauli are a good shout. I had a 25+ season save on FM08 with them, which was my first attempt at the German league. Have only briefly looked at them on 09 but they look like a decent challenge again. I think they are predicted 10th IIRC, have average facilities and and a semi-decent wage/transfer budget. Worth a look.

Archived