The Play My Game Project

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pokka:

Hi Cleon

But in your tactic posted (through the saved game), your MR and ML did have all 4 instructions on OFTEN except long ball on Mixed.

How do you explain that then ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You didn't ask me that though did you, the question you asked was;

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If you've a player whose stats are:

Off the Ball > 18

Dribble > 18

Passing > 20

Crossing >17

Long shot > 15

Would you place his individual instructions as

Forward Run> Often

Dribble > often

Try Through Ball > Often

Crossing > Often

Long Shot > Often </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're asking me if id have all 5 settings on often.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I personally wouldn't give him all them instructions as it would imbalance my side </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Note the bit in bold especially. For my side, if he had long shots often he'd be shooting from distance far too often and my wingers are not good enough for that.

So there isn't anything to explain, you asked me a general question and I answered.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razaldo9:

Cleon i am using this tactic after the patch but have found that i am struggling against this formation.

--------o--------

--o--o-----o--o--

--------o--------

-----o-----o-----

--o-----------o--

--------o--------

Have you got any advice as to overcome these difficulties.

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any help mate? Reading beat me 1-0 when I was using spurs and dominated from what i can remember.

Cheers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razaldo9:

Cleon i am using this tactic after the patch but have found that i am struggling against this formation.

--------o--------

--o--o-----o--o--

--------o--------

-----o-----o-----

--o-----------o--

--------o--------

Have you got any advice as to overcome these difficulties.

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any help mate? Reading beat me 1-0 when I was using spurs and dominated from what i can remember.

Cheers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you tried man marking? tight marking? or even counter attack? If you have players good enough to tight mark the front 3, this should make it less effective.

Cleon just to congratulate you on a great tactic - currently in my 1st season with Charlton & have just gone on a 7 match winning streak!

One question - Whilst the tactic is sound defensively I'm having difficulty scoring goals. I'm relying heavily on set pieces, so much so that my centre half is my leading scorer!

I notice Billy Sharp scored a lot in your game - any advice to improve my goal scoring???

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ntfc:

Hey Cleon how has the patch affected your tactic? I am thinking of creating a new game and using a variation of your tactic but wondered whether the patch has made a hugely significant difference? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was created while making testing the patch, so should be fine.

Hey Cleon, have to say that tactic worked really well for my Espanyol side (finished 4th in the first season!), which my Spanish housemate tells me is really good for Espanyol.

However, the 2nd season isn't going so well, I find myself dominating games, having lots of chances, but conceding on counters. I presume this is because I am now expected to be pushing for Europe as opposed to last season I was expected to be mid table?

Would you reccomend that I slow it down, make it wider in order to create better quality chances, as opposed to lots of chances?

Thanks again

Cleon, first off...great tactic worked wonders for me with gateshead in league one and two. However having just made the step up to championship level, it seems to be falling apart a bit. Defensively it is fine, conceding just under a goal a game - the problem is that my attack is a catastrophoc failure.

We have the lowest goals scored in all the english leagues although we regularly rack up 7+ shots on target each match averageing around 52% possesion. We just cant put the ball in the back of the net. The final straw came in my last match v Southampton - we had 30 shots, 17 on target, 57% possesion they only had 7 shots, with 6 on target and guess what....we lost 5-0 icon_frown.gif

I know that it isn't the tactic itself because everything else (defense, midfield, wingers) is working a treat, i just want a few pointers as to how to improve my goalscoring. Thnx

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mitja:

I jsut think using those formations is advantage that AI can't/won't do. but it's the metter of taste. I never use such formations. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does that mean if 95% of the EPL managers use 442 and 5% use 433 that those using 433 are cheating?

I'm not having a go, and I respect your thoughts, I just find the concept interesting.

Are you implying that using a different formation to the AI is exploiting the game engine?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hey Cleon, have to say that tactic worked really well for my Espanyol side (finished 4th in the first season!), which my Spanish housemate tells me is really good for Espanyol.

However, the 2nd season isn't going so well, I find myself dominating games, having lots of chances, but conceding on counters. I presume this is because I am now expected to be pushing for Europe as opposed to last season I was expected to be mid table?

Would you reccomend that I slow it down, make it wider in order to create better quality chances, as opposed to lots of chances?

Thanks again </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I played around a bit with team settings, I find that if I'm playing a team I'm heavily favoured to beat, it's best if I slow it down, up creative freedom and play my target man who has good heading (Claudio Pizarro) as opposed to if it's likely to be a tough opponent, I stick to the original.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by welshace:

Cleon .. is there any chance of a mirror please? as i cant download from filefront...

thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope sorry

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andyh60:

Well I've looked long and hard for tactics on 8.0.2 and so this one may just be "the one". I won the 1st 2 games on Cleons game so it's time to start one of my own with the help of this tactic. Cheers Cleon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My search for tactics may have come to an end,

I thought Liverpool would be the team to try it out on and so far won 4 out of 4 prem games incl home to Arsenal and Chelsea so we'll see if the premierleague can be won with a side who just struggle with that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andyh60:

Well I've looked long and hard for tactics on 8.0.2 and so this one may just be "the one". I won the 1st 2 games on Cleons game so it's time to start one of my own with the help of this tactic. Cheers Cleon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My search for tactics may have come to an end,

I thought Liverpool would be the team to try it out on and so far won 4 out of 4 prem games incl home to Arsenal and Chelsea so we'll see if the premierleague can be won with a side who just struggle with that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It should be more than capable for Liverpool icon_smile.gif

6 out 7 in the league, I dont know how to post pics but I drew 0-0 at W Ham with them having 1 shot which was off target and I had 26 with 17 on target!!!!!! no goals. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well last post of evening and yeah this tactic is a laegue above any other for me

Yes I'm out of domestic cups, just won 3-2 away in 1st KO round of champs league but in prem record is

P 26 W 20 D 6 L 0, yes haven't lost a premierleague game and only real test left is Man U away (6 prem games away). However there is bad news. I'm still one point behind... Man U

I have been playing, have reached March and look good for promotion at least.

Did have a barren period however where we had 0-0's and 1-1's. Sharp was struggling then eventually injured.

Put Beattie in, made him TM and altered distribution and we are cooing on gas again. Won 5-1 against challengers Watford, 6-1 against Preston and 5-0 versus Yeovil in the cup.

Loving it. Just wish there were more of these threads. Love to try out other people's games.

I am still clueless about the FM08 as a whole.

I adjusted the player's individual tactics according to their stats. For example, I left C. Ronaldo

FWR: Often

Dribble: OFten

Long Ball: Rare

TTB: Mix

Cross: Mix

I still can't get him to perform.

On another save, I did not alter the instructions at all. I just put in the players to the tactics with no change to the individual settings. I still lost an awful amount of games.

Is it me or are the rest struggling as well ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pokka:

I am still clueless about the FM08 as a whole.

I adjusted the player's individual tactics according to their stats. For example, I left C. Ronaldo

FWR: Often

Dribble: OFten

Long Ball: Rare

TTB: Mix

Cross: Mix

I still can't get him to perform.

On another save, I did not alter the instructions at all. I just put in the players to the tactics with no change to the individual settings. I still lost an awful amount of games.

Is it me or are the rest struggling as well ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What his work and team rate? The AML/AMR have defensive responsibilties..maybe hes not upto the job? Or he could be being marked out of the game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> My games so far. I am using Man U. 2nd season.

5:2 Chelsea - Comm Shield

0:0 Reading

2:4 Arsenal

3:2 Wigan

3:0 West Brom

0:1 Chelsea

0:0 Liverpool

5:1 CSKA - CL

3:2 Derby

4:0 Scunthorpe - League CUp

0:1 West Ham </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sorry but this doesn't mean anything to me, I created this tactic for my side not any other. It works for me because it's designed round the players I have. So just because you have better players, it also means you have a lot of players who are what I call 'individual players' like Ronaldo, Tevez.

Therefore things will need to be tweaked to allow for them and accomodate them. I didn't have this problem with Sheff Utd as I played as a team.

I downloaded your tactic and played the next available league game against Bristol.

With no tweaks, I succumbed to a 1-0 defeat by Bristol.

Hence, all I wanted to ask is, for this tactic which you created for Shieffield and I implemented it for Man U, do I have to adjust the individual instructions for the players?

For example, if Saha has Off the ball at 5, maybe I should stop his forward run to rare.

For example, if John O'Shea can't cross , I should set his crossing to rare.

If I do that for each player, will it affect the overall fluency of the tactic?

I downloaded your tactic and played the next available league game against Bristol.

With no tweaks, I succumbed to a 1-0 defeat by Bristol.

Hence, all I wanted to ask is, for this tactic which you created for Shieffield and I implemented it for Man U, do I have to adjust the individual instructions for the players?

For example, if Saha has Off the ball at 5, maybe I should stop his forward run to rare.

For example, if John O'Shea can't cross , I should set his crossing to rare.

If I do that for each player, will it affect the overall fluency of the tactic? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, you need to change it for the personnel you have. It shouldn't play too much of a part though changing things and you should be okay as you seem to know what you need to change already icon_smile.gif

Thanks Cleon!

Your input is really appreciated.

Can I then ask, do you save each player's individual settings? I bet you do cos if you've 30 players in a squad. You can't be changing each and everone of them before each game right? It will be too much of a hassle to change 10 players' instructions (Excluding GK).

Thanks Cleon!

Your input is really appreciated.

Can I then ask, do you save each player's individual settings? I bet you do cos if you've 30 players in a squad. You can't be changing each and everone of them before each game right? It will be too much of a hassle to change 10 players' instructions (Excluding GK). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do yeah, its explained how in the faq's icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Cleon I seem to have problems to fing a good tactic for the 8.0.2. Does your tactic work voor the new update. I started a game with Newcastle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've answered this several times already.

Well last post of evening and yeah this tactic is a laegue above any other for me

Yes I'm out of domestic cups, just won 3-2 away in 1st KO round of champs league but in prem record is

P 26 W 20 D 6 L 0, yes haven't lost a premierleague game and only real test left is Man U away (6 prem games away). However there is bad news. I'm still one point behind... Man U </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keeping you all in suspense I'm now in semi final of CL with 2-1 away defeat to bring back to Anfield. Premiership is getting very tense 3 games left

Man U p 35 pts 83

Liverpool (me) P 35 pts 83

Arsenal P 35 pts 81

Man U have chelsea at home still to come so what will the season bring, what ever it does it's been exciting with this tacic. My only prem defeat was at Everton of all places.

P 26 W 20 D 6 L 0, yes haven't lost a premierleague game and only real test left is Man U away (6 prem games away). However there is bad news. I'm still one point behind... Man U </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keeping you all in suspense I'm now in semi final of CL with 2-1 away defeat to bring back to Anfield. Premiership is getting very tense 3 games left

Man U p 35 pts 83

Arsenal P 35 pts 81

Man U have chelsea at home still to come so what will the season bring, what ever it does it's been exciting with this tacic. My only prem defeat was at Everton of all places. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I won the league by 1 point bascially I drew my game and Man U lost to Chelsea at home, Champions league I got beaten in Semi's but there's always next season. Hence great tactic in winning prem league with Liverpool.

Main team

GK Reina

WBR Finnan

WBL Riise

CB Agger

CB Carragher

DMC Lucas in the end gave best perfomances, started Mascarano and Alonso also a few times

MC Gerrard (and on right)

MC Juninho from Lyon

AML Babel and Kewell

AMR Benayoun and Gerrard

FW Torres (27 g 18 goals) ,Kuyt (10 g 7 goals) and Crouch (1 g 1 goal) starts this is for strikers

Man U p 35 pts 83

Arsenal P 35 pts 81

Man U have chelsea at home still to come so what will the season bring, what ever it does it's been exciting with this tacic. My only prem defeat was at Everton of all places. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good Luck icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Well I won the league by 1 point bascially I drew my game and Man U lost to Chelsea at home, Champions league I got beaten in Semi's but there's always next season. Hence great tactic in winning prem league with Liverpool.

Main team

GK Reina

WBR Finnan

WBL Riise

CB Agger

CB Carragher

DMC Lucas in the end gave best perfomances, started Mascarano and Alonso also a few times

MC Gerrard (and on right)

MC Juninho from Lyon

AML Babel and Kewell

AMR Benayoun and Gerrard

FW Torres (27 g 18 goals) ,Kuyt (10 g 7 goals) and Crouch (1 g 1 goal) starts this is for strikers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ignore the above post lol, congrats icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimboola:

In the january window I had lots of players arrive without permits!

I pushed them out to an affilaiate to get nationality. What was your reasoning here Cleon? Think ahead to season four already? icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye plan for the future and get some bargains icon_smile.gif

Archived