FM09 is SO SLOW on my PC. Please can someone help?!!

Do we really need another thread on this?

Its been covered to death.

Why do people insist on debating (in total abject blind raging ignorance) the same things over and over and over?

Do a search: http://community.sigames.com/search.php?searchid=592257

It might have been covered, but it hasn't been fixed at all. So it will be covered just until it's fixed, just like any other bug, or until we get some kind of answer saying "we found the problem, will be fixed for next patch".

I understand some people might not be getting this problem so they couldn't care less about it, but for me FM09 has become so unplayable that I've gone back to FM08 despite me being eager to play 09. And I can tell you I'm a REALLY pacient person. But it's just ridiculous to wait 5 minutes between turns to advance 2 in-game days. And no, it's not about level of detail, number of leagues, threading, whatever.

As I said, I'm running FM08 and FM09 in the exact same detail settings. FM08 is lightning fast (which is what I expect in a 5400+ 2.8 GHz dual core processor with 2gb ram), but FM09 just randomly gets stuck in processing screens without doing anything, for minutes and minutes.

Also, I can minimize the game while it's "stuck" at processing and my PC will be fine and start other applications if I want, and they will be running fluently while I keep FM minimized. I can surf these forums, etc., with no lag at all in my PC. But it doesn't matter if the game is minimized or maximized without any other apps running in the background. It will take ages whenever the game feels like it.

Quite frustrating.

just a question to david and roykela. Do you experience slow down all year round, or just during certain month? Cos my slowing down only seem to happen in winter for some reason (Dec to March)

First off i have to say that it got a lot better after the patch, apart from the job overview screen and matchdays.

To answer your question. For me it's just random. Nothing better or worse in the winter than the rest of the season. The first time it happened was in September. FM was running smoother when i was running more applications. It would be worse (not much, but noticable) if FM was the only application running. If i started firefox and/or Windows Media Player it would be smoother and more stable, but still jerky.

To test some stuff i changed the windowed resolution and pretty much found that the resolution was having a significant impact on my overall performance. I haven't tried that test after the patch though. But why that would be i have no idea about.

So i can't really say that it happens at certain times in the game, just random. After the patch it is much much better for me.

I hope that answers your question :)

It might have been covered, but it hasn't been fixed at all. So it will be covered just until it's fixed, just like any other bug, or until we get some kind of answer saying "we found the problem, will be fixed for next patch".

I understand some people might not be getting this problem so they couldn't care less about it, but for me FM09 has become so unplayable that I've gone back to FM08 despite me being eager to play 09. And I can tell you I'm a REALLY pacient person. But it's just ridiculous to wait 5 minutes between turns to advance 2 in-game days. And no, it's not about level of detail, number of leagues, threading, whatever.

As I said, I'm running FM08 and FM09 in the exact same detail settings. FM08 is lightning fast (which is what I expect in a 5400+ 2.8 GHz dual core processor with 2gb ram), but FM09 just randomly gets stuck in processing screens without doing anything, for minutes and minutes.

Also, I can minimize the game while it's "stuck" at processing and my PC will be fine and start other applications if I want, and they will be running fluently while I keep FM minimized. I can surf these forums, etc., with no lag at all in my PC. But it doesn't matter if the game is minimized or maximized without any other apps running in the background. It will take ages whenever the game feels like it.

Quite frustrating.

absolutely. the slow down which we are experiencing here is not a system slow down, but a game slow down.

Andy, I experienced (a further) slow-down from Dec to March as well.

I just started a new game with a Small database, and only thirteen leagues (view only except for England which is playable), and the GUI is just as sluggish already.

Could run 75 leagues with Large database on FM 2008, no problem.

Hope the next patch can fix it because whatever was done for 9.2 didn't make it faster for everyone.

I have the same problem. The interface is so slow that it's almost unplayable. I can click on a button 10+ times and the game doesn't react at all sometimes and some pages (tactics for example) takes 10+ seconds to load.

I have:

* Threading on

* Newly installed Windows XP (last week)

* 2 gb ram

* Duo-Core

* Least possible amount of matches played in full detail

It's a shame as FM09 are so much better than FM08 (which is the biggest disappointment of all time).

Could anyone from SI answer to this thread and tell us if there's a solution on the way or if we'll just have to live with it?

Can SI please tell us what you'll be able to do about this? Will we be able to play the game with a reasonable speed after the next patch? Maybe a small fix before that as it's not fun to play when you have to wait for everything all the time and a UI that doesn't respond sometimes.

Old coding that's not been cleaned out. It's the game. The UI lags like mad when its not even using 30% of the processor. That's not system related, that's the game.

So glad you could add another positive response to the discussion. You're like a ray of sunshine.

If you have some proof that the game is cluttered up with old code then state it. If you don't, which I think is likely, then it doesn't help to post random negative conjecture.

forgive me, i didn't read the rest.

If what i've quoted is true then would it be worthwhile installing a solid state disk, even a small one, to run FM from?

No idea. This is a necro thread anyway .. :thup:

Why not PM Paul C and ask him what he recommends.

FM is disk intensive, but it has to be as there is just so much to crunch and stash.

However, I really have no actual idea how FM works beyond physical observations and supposition.

Hi everyone,

Just bought FM 09 today, installed it with Steam and that was fine and entered my product code and everything was going great. Then I launched the game through Steam and it was so slow. It kept on doing the loading thing in the corner with all the different languages for loading spinning around. It also takes ages for my computer to respond when I click on something, it also takes about 15 minutes to process, it's really annoying me and all I want to do is get QPR to the Premiership :D

I know you've all probably heard this before and it's all been explained in this thread but I just wanted everyone to see the specs of my computer and to acknowledge the problem, please help, all my Football Manager games have been quite slow but not incredibly annoyingly slow!

Here are the specifications of my computer

Dell Dimension 3100C

2.8GHz Intel Celeron D 336

512MB of RAM

80GB hard disk

Intel integrated graphics

16x DVD-ROM drive

Also, could someone explain what threading and window mode are and if they will help?

Help is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Brad

You R'sss

Why can't SI give an answer? We have payed for the game and therefore wants/demands it to work.

I've turned of the 3D camera (and put detail to low), sound, logos and player pictures. I've tried both with and without the "threading" option. I'm forced to play matches in text-only as the 2D are lagging.

I can accept that the matches are a little slow but not that UI are unresponsive. That are a real game-killer.

CPUs work with executing threads, one process can contain multiple threads. Threading allows the CPU to work with more threads at one given time and by that increases the power of the CPU. However the pipelines and the cache is shared and therefor threading can slow down the computer if two threads "start fighting over the cache". Therefor turning threading off can increase performance.

@QPRbrad: It is possible that your computer doesn't have dedicated graphic memory, but is using up some of the system RAM. How much the graphics are taking is different, but I would think that it is either not taking enough to make the graphics smooth and if it takes enough it probably leaves a rather low amount of RAM.

QPRbrad, putting aside your obvious problem, that it'd take years of playing FM to get QPR to the prem, i suspect it'll be the integrated graphics.

On a 512Mb system, assuming you've not upgraded the ram in tha past, your system will probably have 64 Mb shared graphics available to you. Check the BIOS or Control Panel>System>general and check the Ram quantity. If it's using all 64Mb for graphics then RAM will be 448Mb. If RAM is more than 448Mb then you should probably increase the Shared volumn in your BIOS.

Realistically though you need more RAM and dedicated graphics, i'd suggest investing in a cheap Dual core system. i'm looking at an advert right now for AMD Dual Core 5200 (2.6Ghz) system with 2GB RAM with a reasonably powered graphics card for just under £200.

System only mind but you've obviously got a monitor, mouse, keyboard and Operating system so you'd be better buying a new system than upgrading the one you've got.

Doesn't FM09 require 128MB graphics, or maybe that is just for the 3d.

Integrated graphics usually got a cap on how much memory it can use. If it is old it might be impossible to make it use more. More RAM would improve gameperformance no matter what though.

So glad you could add another positive response to the discussion. You're like a ray of sunshine.

If you have some proof that the game is cluttered up with old code then state it. If you don't, which I think is likely, then it doesn't help to post random negative conjecture.

Can you prove it's not the game?

Reason i ask is because, nobody is proving the other way around either. Everyone thinks this and that, and they come up with their own theories - for and against, which they are entitled to. Unfortunately that can end up with comments like yours which doesn't really help at all. And i don't mean that in a bad way.

If someone would actually try to figure things out, or at least communicate with us. I've done what i can do (unfortunately it ain't much). Many people have done what they can do, but they get no response.

If you can prove it's not the case then please enlighten us all. I don't mean it ironically, and i certainly don't mean it in a bad way, because it would really help.

Proof that FM is cluttered with legacy code?

FM07 > FM08 > FM09

in terms of speed, with no major increase in database size or changes in how games are processed with regards to detail level.

If the game was optimised, all three games would process at around the same speed, instead of their being clear differences, to the point where fm07 is twice as fast as 09 at processing between matches.

• 1 month later...
1. FM: Tick "Threading" in Options

2. Windows: Shut down all other applications, especially notorious memory hogs like Excel, Photoshop, etc. This includes going through your "System Tray" (near clock) and exiting all of those mini-apps.

3. Vista: If you're on Vista, find the display options, and turn off all of the graphical effects (transparent windows, animating menus, etc)

4. FM: Run a smaller DB with fewer leagues running.

5. FM: Turn off "Full Detail" for any match outside of your league and Cups.

6. Anti-Virus: Set FM as a "trusted program" so that your anti-virus doesn't insist on scanning its active memory usage.

7. FM: Set it to remember the fewest number of matches in detail (5,000, I think?)

Just need some help on 2 fronts

1 - how do you action no' 7 as above ?

2 - how do you set comp to run FM as priority

Many Thanks

just wanted to say that i agree with Wakers point here. i found out the same thing.

figured i would try to cut down, even more on my used resources so i turned off aero. didn't really work well. it felt like it was much less responsive. so i turned aero back on again, and voilá! i was back to the normal but faster unresponsiveness again.

Let's focus on some specific things that may help the OP - "Wait for SI to optimize" isn't exactly a solution ;):

1. FM: Tick "Enable Threading" in Options

2. Windows: Shut down all other applications, especially notorious memory hogs like Excel, Photoshop, etc. This includes going through your "System Tray" (near clock) and exiting all of those mini-apps.

3. Vista: If you're on Vista, find the display options, and turn off all of the graphical effects (transparent windows, animating menus, etc)

4. FM: Run a smaller DB with fewer leagues running.

5. FM: Turn off "Full Detail" for any match outside of your league and Cups.

6. Anti-Virus: Set FM as a "trusted program" so that your anti-virus doesn't insist on scanning its active memory usage.

7. FM: Set it to remember the fewest number of matches in detail (5,000, I think?)

anyone know how to action no'7 ???

Archived