Ridiculously hard & stupid match engine!

I have managed (eventually) to come up with a tactic or two that worked well, however after a dozen or so good performances and decent results, I've gone downhill again.

Is this SI's was to stop the super tactic, i.e. to make us change and amend tactics constantly?? I can sort of see their motive if this is true, as if one of us comes up with an excellent tactic it will only be useful for a while before the AI/engine learn how to counter it.

This sets us with a real challenge, but I agree, it seems to have been overdone in that it makes the game too hard.

As for the 3D engine, it will take SI another year or two to make it "perfect", so while I scream at my players at times, I'll allow for the fact this is the first version.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea .. should I say f**k you till you fart then Nomis? Or maybe chopper does that for you? Because you seem really close!!!!

You know ... you were the one blaming many people here that we were going out of topic & now you're the one doing it!

Yes .. it's a fact & I will keep saying it ... the Match Engine is crap & shitty! I will only change my mind about that IF it's patched properly with 9.2 -- whenever it comes out! Because I think it will be next year now at the rate SI are working!

Can I just ask how old you are? If you're older than 13 I'll be suprised and worried.

Totally agreed ... good point Midlothian.

Thanks.

Unfortunately it's completely different to the point you've been badly trying to make :rolleyes:

But I do love the way you agree with anyone who remotely supports your belief that, and I quote, 'the match engine is crap and shitty'.

So that's one issue. I thought there were hundreds.

And firstly you'll have to enlighten me to what this supposed closing down issue is. Even then I doubt I'd be able to help you as I'm far from a tactical expert as I find the whole tactical side of FM09 infuriatingly difficult. That doesn't change the fact that I know that my issues could be solved by tactics, the fact that the game makes it too difficult to understand how to solve them is the real issue.

But please, I'd love a detailed explanation of the massive amount of match engine defects that have nothing to do with tactics.

Hundreds???? Thousands I tell you!!

Read Matt's post & you will see what the issue is.

Detailed explanation? I wrote a bloody bible in my first post & most of it was related to the ME!!! You think I have nothing to do chopper?!

Well you made us think U R a tactical genius with the way you answered all my posts!! I thought I was talking to AF!!

I have managed (eventually) to come up with a tactic or two that worked well, however after a dozen or so good performances and decent results, I've gone downhill again.

Is this SI's was to stop the super tactic, i.e. to make us change and amend tactics constantly?? I can sort of see their motive if this is true, as if one of us comes up with an excellent tactic it will only be useful for a while before the AI/engine learn how to counter it.

This sets us with a real challenge, but I agree, it seems to have been overdone in that it makes the game too hard.

As for the 3D engine, it will take SI another year or two to make it "perfect", so while I scream at my players at times, I'll allow for the fact this is the first version.

We are often told by the tactical experts around that we shouldn't be surprised if opposing managers learn to counter our tactics... but the swiftness and the effectiveness of this learning process is quite annoying. Especially as it seems to me that the AI managers' tactical attribute is totally redundant, it doesn't really influence their tactics.

Can I just ask how old you are? If you're older than 13 I'll be suprised and worried.

Yea Im 7 yrs old chopper!!!! As if Im gonna tell you how old I am! It's not yr business!

Do you wanna know what type of underwear Im wearing as well by any chance??

I don't envy the developers, I really don't, having to read so much inane garbage day after day.

Personally I'm enjoying the game. I began my first game and spent time creating a few tactics, training schedules and reviewing my squad, and by the time I had to go a few hours later I'd only managed four league games (won three and sit third in the table). I'm really trying to say that if people think they can breeze through the game and expect instant success then they're very deluded. The 3D might not be sublime, but I'm enjoying watching matches in a more realistic manner and some cracking goals have been scored.

If I get stuck in a rut then I try a few different things and tweak my tactics. Others take a different route where because they're not getting the rub of the green then the game must be faulty and so decide to blow on endlessly about it on these forums.

Unfortunately it's completely different to the point you've been badly trying to make :rolleyes:

But I do love the way you agree with anyone who remotely supports your belief that, and I quote, 'the match engine is crap and shitty'.

You know what ... I dont wanna waste any more time with you mr chopper!!!

You are one hell of a SDBA!!!!!!

Maybe I should've asked you how old are you!!! Im curious to know!!

You really are an idiot Cobain.

What could have been an interesting discussion has been completely ruined. With a bit of luck this thread will be closed.

Unfortunately you're the IDIOT here chopper .... now who's the one calling names in the first place ey?!?!

Blame me again SDBA!!!!

Ok

I think there is a decent amount of people who are enjoying the greater difficulty. I cant say i am one of them. I just wish that those that are struggling wouldnt embarass themselves by posting insults.

And those that are on the receiving end dont add fuel to the fire

To be fair to Chopper, his patience was being severely tested

I know there's no character limit but Im used to typing shorthand in order to type faster that's why I use them!! But strangely enough, in SI's forum ONLY is against the rules!!!

Anyway, yea I will obey .. whatever!! However this makes me less & less & less a fan of SI!!! Never heard something like this on other forums!!

I post regularly on a number of other forums, and using 1337, txtspk and other non-standard forms of communication is against the rules, or heavily frowned upon, at all of them.

Ok

I think there is a decent amount of people who are enjoying the greater difficulty. I cant say i am one of them. I just wish that those that are struggling wouldnt embarass themselves by posting insults.

And those that are on the receiving end dont add fuel to the fire

To be fair to Chopper, his patience was being severely tested

If you read the posts Jimmywils, it was chopper who started the insults & not me.

His patience was severely tested? And what about my patience?!

Oh well whatever.:confused:

chopper99 didn't insult anyone. You're completely overreacting. All he did was ask you to type in such a way that guarantees users who don't speak English as a first language can understand. Please calm down and stop taking it so personally.

You really are an idiot Cobain.

What could have been an interesting discussion has been completely ruined. With a bit of luck this thread will be closed.

chopper99 didn't insult anyone. You're completely overreacting. All he did was ask you to type in such a way that guarantees users who don't speak English as a first language can understand. Please calm down and stop taking it so personally.

Are you sure Mike??? Please read above. Is 'idiot' an insult or what?

Im calm dont worry about that :)

The overall feel of the game is just not 'there' if that makes sense

It feels like i am being conned out of what could be an excellent game by the AI.

What i still dont get is the fact that i have started 3 games now and in my pre season friendlies im on fire. Ok so they are only friendlies. I beat AC Milan 2-0, PSV 3-1, Celtic 1-0 and.....get this....Villareal 5-1. My strikers scored a hatrick a piece.

I was playing superb football, not dominating every game, but playing very well

As soon as the season starts....First game against Portsmouth lost 0-3, second game against Sunderland lost 2-0, two very bizarre goals.

All of a sudden, my defence have obvioulsy been out on the sesh the night before a game and my strikers miss for fun. Something just goes tits up once the season starts

It feels like i am being conned out of what could be an excellent game by the AI.

What i still dont get is the fact that i have started 3 games now and in my pre season friendlies im on fire. Ok so they are only friendlies. I beat AC Milan 2-0, PSV 3-1, Celtic 1-0 and.....get this....Villareal 5-1. My strikers scored a hatrick a piece.

As soon as the season starts....First game against Portsmouth lost 0-3, second game against Sunderland lost 2-0, two very bizarre goals.

All of a sudden, my defence have obvioulsy been out on the sesh the night before a game and my strikers miss for fun. Something just goes tits up once the season starts

Yea ... so true.

That's what I've been trying to explain but they just keep telling you it's the tactics! And I don't really agree. Ok I may not be Rafa Benitez - Im not in fact ... but that doesn't mean that because LFC dont have RB, the players will just start making stupid mistakes because they don't want another manager!!! It's non-sense. And as I said earlier, lately I restarted the match with a National reputation therefore not a complete unknown!! So that should make a bit of difference, but it doesn't unfortunately.

Im blindly hoping someone will offer me an explanation

I havent touched the game for 2 weeks but im itching to play. But i resist the temptation knowing that something is just not right at the moment. Im sure some of you are having success, but im sulking at the moment

Im blindly hoping someone will offer me an explanation

I havent touched the game for 2 weeks but im itching to play. But i resist the temptation knowing that something is just not right at the moment. Im sure some of you are having success, but im sulking at the moment

Well Im with you mate ... Im not playing it either, just cant take it anymore. Waiting patiently for the 9.2 patch in fact! Im itching to play too ... you cant imagine how much! But it's useless because it drives me crazy & I will start kicking everything I find in front of me with anger, imagining Im kicking energy drinks LOL.

I agree there is some problems but nothing that concerns me too much. And why is there so many complaints that the game is too hard? I'm not one of the people that likes to brag this is just a point. But in my first season I met almost all the board/fans expectations. Ok I am Arsenal but some people are moaning they cant win even with teams like Arsenal.

I won the League with 1 game left, got to the final of the FA cup and the last 16 of the champions league. This is the first FM where I have had such success in the 1st season. I am actually sort of dreading the next patch in case it stops things working for me that are fine now.

I would have prefered the dots from fm08 with the added content. I played virtua striker in the 90s same game. Could score from the kickoff centre spot every time with enough after touch.

The game is good. The training and bringing up of youth is good. The actual match is terrible.

Well Im with you mate ... Im not playing it either, just cant take it anymore. Waiting patiently for the 9.2 patch in fact! Im itching to play too ... you cant imagine how much! But it's useless because it drives me crazy & I will start kicking everything I find in front of me with anger, imagining Im kicking energy drinks LOL.

I almost guarantee you that 9.2 (where's the zero in the middle gone this year :mad:)won't be out until early Febuary. It's used to include the January transfers and such as well as fixing these minor problems.

I agree there is some problems but nothing that concerns me too much. And why is there so many complaints that the game is too hard? I'm not one of the people that likes to brag this is just a point. But in my first season I met almost all the board/fans expectations. Ok I am Arsenal but some people are moaning they cant win even with teams like Arsenal.

I won the League with 1 game left, got to the final of the FA cup and the last 16 of the champions league. This is the first FM where I have had such success in the 1st season. I am actually sort of dreading the next patch in case it stops things working for me that are fine now.

Well ... Arsenal ... in all the games I started, Arsenal just ran with the league mid-way through it. And this is something experienced by many other users apparently. In fact A Wenger had a winning percentage of 83%!!

I think Arsenal are over-rated mate & it's not fair because everybody knows that IRL at the moment they're not as strong as before. Don't get me wrong, Im not saying they're not .. I always dread playing against them (I support Liverpool) .... but they're not that Arsenal team when there was T Henry & when they didn't lose a game all season. If you're fair you will agree they're not that strong today. Maybe will be in the near future but at the moment no, sorry.

I almost guarantee you that 9.2 (where's the zero in the middle gone this year :mad:)won't be out until early Febuary. It's used to include the January transfers and such as well as fixing these minor problems.

Oh god, February? But I cant wait 2 months to play!!!! Jesus & I pre-ordered the game so that I receive it on its day of release!!!!

I have to invent something then .... 2 months are too much! Tks for the info mate.

& oh, sorry ... 9.02 then??? But the current patch says 9.1 & not 9.01, that's why I assumed 9.2!

I don't find it that bad as Liverpool. I spent a lot of time setting up and tinkering at the beginning with my favoured tactics for the last 5 years (4-1-3-1-1).

I do however find it difficult to win the league given how good the damn opposition are! I cleared out the dross immediately (from the U18's, reserves and first team squad), bringing in good young players and with first team experience, many went wonderkid on me (and thankfully the Liverpool scouts are so good and found these gems for me - esp. Pjanic who I didn't even know about before the game). I paid attention to the scouts and it paid off well. Also, having freed up so much in the way of transfer funds (I sold many players undervalue but sometimes got lucky (R. Madrid bought Arbeloa for £13m and Alonso for £20m!). With this I bought cheaper good youngsters like Camacho and Santon (again, my scouts were good to me).

My Team

League Table.

No cheating in that league table, I've had some easy matches for the start of the season (apart from Arsenal 2-2 at Anfield after being 2-0 up). I haven't exactly got a cheap team...

I'm training some of my youngsters too. If you pay attention, you can really make a difference e.g. I got Fernando Torres to train David N'Gog who turned into a Wonderkid. He was p*** poor when I first played him but after persevering, all came well and he played blindingly well.

I find the most frustrating thing is draws and the massive goal difference of the other top teams! Chelsea and Arsenal are almost doubling me!!! Man U(re) got battered 5-0 by City just now, which I'm extremely pleased with. Man City have the most stupidly good team! They are buying everyone!

there have been a few posts saying a patch will be released before Christmas.

I don't find it that bad as Liverpool. I spent a lot of time setting up and tinkering at the beginning with my favoured tactics for the last 5 years (4-1-3-1-1).

I do however find it difficult to win the league given how good the damn opposition are! I cleared out the dross immediately (from the U18's, reserves and first team squad), bringing in good young players and with first team experience, many went wonderkid on me (and thankfully the Liverpool scouts are so good and found these gems for me - esp. Pjanic who I didn't even know about before the game). I paid attention to the scouts and it paid off well. Also, having freed up so much in the way of transfer funds (I sold many players undervalue but sometimes got lucky (R. Madrid bought Arbeloa for £13m and Alonso for £20m!). With this I bought cheaper good youngsters like Camacho and Santon (again, my scouts were good to me).

My Team

League Table.

No cheating in that league table, I've had some easy matches for the start of the season (apart from Arsenal 2-2 at Anfield after being 2-0 up). I haven't exactly got a cheap team...

I'm training some of my youngsters too. If you pay attention, you can really make a difference e.g. I got Fernando Torres to train David N'Gog who turned into a Wonderkid. He was p*** poor when I first played him but after persevering, all came well and he played blindingly well.

I find the most frustrating thing is draws and the massive goal difference of the other top teams! Chelsea and Arsenal are almost doubling me!!! Man U(re) got battered 5-0 by City just now, which I'm extremely pleased with. Man City have the most stupidly good team! They are buying everyone!

Wow man you've got Aguero!!! I had him in FM08 .. a great player!!! Even Pjanic is a great player .. had him in FM08 as well!

And your players' ratings are almost all over 7!! But how the hell you do it?!! I envy you!!

But you see ... as I said before, Arsenal are just over-rated ... look at that table there!! my god!

Also I agree with you re: Man City ... it's stupid. & in fact, IRL they ARE trying to buy the best players, but no-body wants to go with a mid-table team! Ignore Robinho ... he only went there because he had problems at Real & FOR THE MONEY!!!! So this reality should be reflected in FM09. It doesn't matter how much money a team has .. if it's not that popular, players won't go!

I hope you didnt put your house on that 'almost guarantee' mate

My Team

League Table.

Hey .. but how do you say you found it difficult winning the league when you've won it in the first year?? Liverpool are the holders and the year is 2010, which means in season 2008/2009 you won the league!!!

there have been a few posts saying a patch will be released before Christmas.

Meh, well my point still stands that he has no idea of the progress their making. Though admittedly I haven't been reading every single post like I used to :o.

Hey .. but how do you say you found it difficult winning the league when you've won it in the first year?? Liverpool are the holders and the year is 2010, which means in season 2008/2009 you won the league!!!

I'm in my third season ;). This is the 2010/2011 season (note November 2010).

Aguero cost me virtually my entire transfer budget - I triggered the minimum fee release of £35.5m. Pjanic cost me £12m in my first season. He is now valued at £35m!!! I really struggled last year as it started with so many draws! I think I ended up with about 8/9 draws in the season.

I really have tweaked my tactics and it shows - but I have a system I play and one which suits the players. I moulded the current Liverpool system and bought players to fit. I just survived a board takeover too! The new chairman wanted to bring in Roberto Mancini but decided against it! I was so nervous - my team was about to be whipped out from beneath me!

Arsenal are ridiculous though. They are apparently the richest club too, meaning they buy more amazing players to complement their current batch! e.g. Vela/Walcott/Fabregas/Adebayor - though I snatched Wilshere at 16 for 3.2m. Now he's a wonderkid and doing well for me :D.

I'm in my third season ;). This is the 2010/2011 season (note November 2010).

Aguero cost me virtually my entire transfer budget - I triggered the minimum fee release of £35.5m. Pjanic cost me £12m in my first season. He is now valued at £35m!!! I really struggled last year as it started with so many draws! I think I ended up with about 8/9 draws in the season.

I really have tweaked my tactics and it shows - but I have a system I play and one which suits the players. I moulded the current Liverpool system and bought players to fit. I just survived a board takeover too! The new chairman wanted to bring in Roberto Mancini but decided against it! I was so nervous - my team was about to be whipped out from beneath me!

Arsenal are ridiculous though. They are apparently the richest club too, meaning they buy more amazing players to complement their current batch! e.g. Vela/Walcott/Fabregas/Adebayor - though I snatched Wilshere at 16 for 3.2m. Now he's a wonderkid and doing well for me :D.

Oh yea you're right ... sorry, didn't notice it was November. So you won it in the 2nd season -- that's great. Well done mate :thup:

I will try to follow your 'transfer market' route then!!! It seems it will help a lot.

Yea I totally agree with you re: Arsenal ... I repeat, they're way too over-rated.

Make sure you alter training too. Default training is rubbish. All my schedules are on 'Heavy' and customised to the right player type e.g. Strikers, Midfielders, Defenders, Goalkeepers. Most players are in Midfielders for me as this is a good cross-section e.g. Aguero is in midfielders rather than strikers as I feel he will train better on certain attributes.

Constantly get people to tutor others but make sure you check personalities first. Jack Wilshere hates Steven Gerrard (WHY?!?!) - my mistake in fairness but I thought he'd learn well. Ho-hum!

Also, make sure you ensure players learn abilities which suit them. e.g. I have Torres now 'place shots' and 'try to beat the offside trap' because these are skills which complement his abilities - pacy, intelligent movement, good finishing, good composure. I also read this great blog somewhere on tactics which opened my eyes up. I was struggling before implementing some of the ideas which have helped massively.

Lastly, train players for other positions which you know would suit them - though I found Babel didn't know how to play on the right and was apparently a left winger - who does their research??!!! He is actually a right player who plays more on the left as we don't (didn't until Riera) have good cover there. He's naturally a striker/right winger though (I believe). More versatile players is better. e.g. I got Micah Richards to train to an Accomplished level in defensive midfield as he can actually play there quite well. Take time to prepare and this will reduce the tinkering needed later.

Get some good young blood in though and train them well/expose them to first team action - it's the best way.

Here is that blog. I found it useful, even if a little old. The engine doesn't change THAT much.

Make sure you alter training too. Default training is rubbish. All my schedules are on 'Heavy' and customised to the right player type e.g. Strikers, Midfielders, Defenders, Goalkeepers. Most players are in Midfielders for me as this is a good cross-section e.g. Aguero is in midfielders rather than strikers as I feel he will train better on certain attributes.

Constantly get people to tutor others but make sure you check personalities first. Jack Wilshere hates Steven Gerrard (WHY?!?!) - my mistake in fairness but I thought he'd learn well. Ho-hum!

Also, make sure you ensure players learn abilities which suit them. e.g. I have Torres now 'place shots' and 'try to beat the offside trap' because these are skills which complement his abilities - pacy, intelligent movement, good finishing, good composure. I also read this great blog somewhere on tactics which opened my eyes up. I was struggling before implementing some of the ideas which have helped massively.

Lastly, train players for other positions which you know would suit them - though I found Babel didn't know how to play on the right and was apparently a left winger - who does their research??!!! He is actually a right player who plays more on the left as we don't (didn't until Riera) have good cover there. He's naturally a striker/right winger though (I believe). More versatile players is better. e.g. I got Micah Richards to train to an Accomplished level in defensive midfield as he can actually play there quite well. Take time to prepare and this will reduce the tinkering needed later.

Get some good young blood in though and train them well/expose them to first team action - it's the best way.

Here is that blog. I found it useful, even if a little old. The engine doesn't change THAT much.

Thanks for everything mate .. you're the best :thup: Next time I play will surely use your suggestions.

Well, even I alter training .. I never leave the General Schedule, it's non-sense. I create one for pre-season & generally one defensive & one offensive.

Yea that abilities suggestion I think is great as well.

True re: Babel ... he's more rightish than leftish ... but in FM09 he's AM L FC!! Strange but true.

Once again, thanks a lot for your suggestions .. really appreciate it. Will let you know how's it going next time I play it.

Archived