warlock

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, DavutOzkan said:

the board still is taking 30% of transfer revenue

Yeah, at the start of the save there's a big ground expansion, and now they're already talking about building a new stadium. Boards doing board things :idiot:

image.jpeg.ceccc5d702e882021059bb685150245e.jpeg

August 2026

Transfer window

This was probably the most difficult window of the save so far and it confirmed my dislike of transfer release clauses.

Even before the window opened, Benfica came out of nowhere with a bid for LWB Fredrik Bjorkan. Yes, it was for £25.5m and represents a huge profit on the £3m we paid for him, but it presented us with a particular problem as good LBs are hard to find and the better ones tend to be very expensive (which is probably why Benfica were interested). And the same thing happened with star CB Igoh Ugbu and a bid from Real Madrid... again, £30m is a big profit on the £10.75m we paid but he wasn't easy to find and would be hard to replace.

Of the business I wanted to do, we moved on DM Hugo Sotelo. He had looked great at the start of the save but didn't develop and I was glad to accept £4.7m from Valencia. We also shifted wantaway RB Sergio Carrera, who joins Stuttgart for £10.25m. Altogether, we raised £70m to add to the £40m provided by the board.

In return we brought in five new signings for a total of £67m.

Our replacement for Carrera cost us £24m from Portugal's Sporting:

image.png.8a0bc2a7e2d984a1d60f3874be515d0f.png

Fresnada is a good backup, decent defensively even if he lacks a little going forward.

On the other side, a replacement for Bjorkan was much harder to find. I set up an urgent recruitment focus and threw our best scouts at it and eventually we settled for another player from Sporting:

image.png.6abbf62ad48a2286e78cdc43ae498358.png

I wasn't entirely convinced by Lelo but he was the best available (other targets would have smashed our wage structure or just weren't interested), but he's impressed me since he arrived and looked good in pre-season friendlies.

Sotelo's departure left a backup-shaped hole in defensive midfield, which was filled by a signing from Osasuna:

image.png.8d060cda4d696b310b9df224ad2c72ff.png

Munoz cost us £6.75m and on paper looked very much a backup, but he was a key player in his first pre-season friendly as he scored one and setup another. He's also looked good in his first two competitive games, earning a 7.5 average rating.

When faced with the prospect of replacing Ugbu it quickly became obvious that a like-for-like replacement was going be both difficult and expensive. I decided on a different route. We had Taylor Harwood-Bellis coming back from a season-long loan and I thought he could do a job as backup to Rafa Marin. So with Starfelt declining with age at LCB I went back to Sporting again for a long-term prospect on the left:

image.png.3346252895a6ed9dde1fdf850b2e9d35.png

I agree with the coaches that he's not far off first-team level, and he has plenty of time to develop. I'll be trying to give him game time to help him along whenever possible.

I had two lesser problems in the squad: backup AMR Rodriguez is another whose development has stalled after a bright start to his Vigo career, and backup striker Dejan Loveljic has failed to impress in his year at the club. With money available I decided to bring in a long-term prospect to help out up front:

image.png.d6858b6fa9f655c6e5ed9bc6273fbb6c.png

A graduate of the Barcelona academy, Guiu comes in for £15m and we'll be giving him a lot of substitute appearances to try to drive his development.

Our squad for the season looks like this:

image.thumb.png.b21b3e6bc77322121c952c8021070bcd.png

We've generally looked good in the opening games of the season:

image.png.c38dcea8524b5cef80ac8c2b98026e07.png

An early away day to Barcelona provided the highlight - they were by far the better team but we frustrated them, and a PoM performance by GK Hedl secured a point. Less impressive was an identical result away at Valladolid, but three clean sheets can't be bad and eight different scorers in two games also bodes well for our attacking threat.

Aims for this season: the board require us to gain Champions League qualification again, and the media prediction is for us to finish 5th. I'd like us to win our first silverware of the save and the Copa del Rey is probably our best chance.

image.jpeg.228894d62dfd4e7f65a96503fe161b19.jpeg

September 2026

A good start to the season means little if we can't keep the momentum going. Happily, we did that (with one notable exception):

image.png.4bd5f635bd5ff6c9317c2614d8bf4f99.png

A convincing victory against Cadiz opened the month, quickly followed by a visit from Benfica to get our Champions League campaign underway. Benfica gave us a severe spanking in the competition last season so I was keen to extract revenge and we managed to secure the win with two first-half goals.

The game against Atletico couldn't have been more even:

image.png.502d575e4a408da5f985030b039ba7bd.png

We took the lead inside 5 minutes but couldn't add to it. Within 5 minutes of the second half, Atleti equalised and only a supersub appearance by Rodriguez scoring inside the last 10 minutes gave us the points. If that game was a struggle, our next Champions League fixture against Spurs was nothing of the sort - we simply capitulated:

image.png.f29c0c14ae71f1657ad1f16021c5c117.png

The media called it a humiliation and I couldn't argue with that.

For out final game of the month against Athletic I challenged the players to produce a better performance, and they did but only just:

image.png.fecc126b4e48fc885ae259d799e93a60.png

We got off to the worst possible start as the visitors scored within three minutes, and we didn't get our own game going until the second half after the hairdryer was applied during the interval. Only a superb display of goalkeeping from Hedl saved us from another embarrassment.

To be fair, we were severely hampered by injuries this month as we lost three of four fullbacks - on the right we lost Mendy with a dislocated shoulder and he's been out since the end of August, while we also lost both leftbacks - Bartesaghi with a month-long ankle injury, and new boy Lelo with a twisted knee that meant he missed the second half of the month. Having to play two centrebacks out wide meant we were stretched defensively but also lost much of our attacking thrust out wide.

On balance, and the Spurs match aside, we did well enough and that's reflected in our league position:

image.png.885065fa1cea62322238ded44aa73e1f.png

image.jpeg.b736b85ef42b3af762062c17a63e4e12.jpeg

October 2026

Our excellent season continues and we actually managed to improve in October with a set of results that has me dreaming of things that we have no business dreaming of at this stage of the save:

image.png.c3cc7bde22ce4240de6826a780905e98.png

That's a great set of results, although we need to bear in mind that we faced no top class opponents this month. Also, while the results were impressive, performances were no quite so clear cut. We needed three goals in the final 15 minutes to see off Betis, and more late goals to secure the wins against a tricky Las Palmas side and Villareal.

Other things of note include an immediate return to form by Bartesaghi after a long injury layoff, Strand Larsen putting together a good run to score 6 goals this month, and young striker Marc Guiu bagging his first senior goal.

And where does that leave us?

image.png.8fdac2a7ebcdca19fd7b544dd11c4217.png

We're one of only two unbeaten teams alongside Barcelona, but they have failed to win 5 of their games while we have dropped points in just two. We boast the best offence in the league, and the fourth best defence:

image.png.7e23eb4aca7f6f299bd441bfc6d2d281.png

image.png.6b7e6b5f25f52268ba48d5a4a1ae2080.png

Hedl leads the league with 6 clean sheets, and our scoring performance is bolstered by the fact that we get goals from a variety of sources:

image.png.57d9165043f77c8db56878a7937b14f5.png

We begin November with a trip to Leipzig in the Champions League, which may give us a bit of a reality check. Otherwise, we continue to dream...

image.jpeg.31b1f6d62a9b64ccd15c47e6cede4761.jpeg

November 2026

Another month in the books and - by and large - another good one. But I highlighted our game against RB Leipzig as a potential obstacle and I wasn't wrong:

image.png.62ab2dedc20f1dfa7bccfc6abedbb03b.png

The Germans opened a 2-0 lead in the opening half hour but we responded well to level the game before halftime. Unfortunately, Leipzig scored again within 10 minutes of the restart and we couldn't find another equaliser. Not a terrible result, but it underlined the fact that we're still some way short of Europe's best.

The remainder of the month was pretty straightforward with three league victories and a resounding hammering of Anderlecht away. It was also another good month offensively, with Larsen picking up another 6 goals to take his tally for the season to 14 in all competitions. This could be his most prolific season of the save so far.

December will be true test of our credentials as we face Real Madrid, Valencia and Real Sociedad in LaLiga. We're still 4pts ahead of Madrid but they have a game in hand, while Valencia and Sociedad are fighting it out in 5th and 6th positions. If we do well we could open a definite gap at the top of the table; if we struggle we could slip to third below Real and Barcelona. 

3 hours ago, Stuniverse said:

I've been away for a week

Cheers, mate. Hope you had a good time in Scotland :)

2 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

I've caught up with this thread

I doubt you've been in Scotland so assume you've had real-life issues - the curse of the FM manager :lol:

1 hour ago, warlock said:

I doubt you've been in Scotland so assume you've had real-life issues - the curse of the FM manager :lol:

No "issues" as such, we had twins 10 months ago making it 3 babies in total, which as you can imagine has made the 24 hours in a day seem very less indeed...

However FM24 has been gathering dust on my shelf for months (I know it's a digital copy so figuratively) - so I am intent on sinking my teeth into it now that work season is a bit lighter over the summer.

image.jpeg.9d79c4b15a08e3334aef8120109efe9b.jpeg

December 2026

A tricky month but we came through with one major high, and one minor disappointment:

image.png.fe8123e65222c6be82667e271dc1768c.png

We entertained RB Salzburg in the latest round of Champions League fixtures and did well. A goal in each half gave us the victory without too much drama. And the same was true when we returned to LaLiga action with a straightforward win over Valencia.

Then came the surprise... away at Real Madrid we not only won but won in style with a dominating performance:

image.png.6368ef41055e633a4479df1cec94c14c.png

image.png.c48ed37ac4bac44d422f6ba59de530cf.png

AML Rego got us off to a flying start with a goal inside 2 minutes and we were 3-0 up before Madrid got a foothold in the game. But if they harbored hopes of a fightback we quickly snuffed that out with an early goal in the second half as Larsen completed a fantastic hat-trick. From there we restricted their chances and GK Hedl was equal to every opportunity.

However, the disappointment soon followed. Sociedad have been our closest rivals to the title of "Best of the Rest" throughout the save and they're hot on our heels again this season. But at home I feel we should have been good enough to claim another victory. We went behind inside 20 minutes but battled back to take the lead with goals either side of the interval. I was confident we could hold on to take the points but they went to an all-out attack late in the second half and we couldn't keep them out.

Instead of opening up a gap over Madrid we have to settle for a slender 2pt lead:

image.png.a91d09eddd3d618738c1392336d3335c.png

With the transfer window about to open we have one big cloud on the horizon - major interest in Strand Larsen from Chelsea, and the media reporting that the interest is mutual. The only thing in our favour is - for once! - his minimum fee release clause, which stands at £87m and quite a bit above his quoted value of £65-70m. He won't be leaving for a penny less.

Inevitably, there is reported interest in our other leading players - Bayer Leverkusen are looking at RB Mendy; Swedberg is a target for Liverpool, who are also watching first-choice CB Rafa Marin; while the Saudis are circling for LCB Aldarete. 

We'll see what happens.

2 hours ago, Alejandro_FM said:

Who's managing them at the moment?

Still Ancelotti, still playing the diamond :)

Marco Rose is now at Barcelona, playing the infuriating Brazilian box system. Lots of other managerial changes in this world... Luis Enrique is at Man City, Guardiola now at PSG, Zinedine Zidane at Liverpool, Tuchel at Man Utd, Xabi Alonso went to Inter, Klopp retired at the end of season 1 and hasn't worked since.

Edited by warlock

image.jpeg.14a434ac7cf131d7e08eef36162ed69d.jpeg

February 2027

Transfer window

January turned out to be quiet with little of the reported interest in our players amounting to much. No-one bid for Larsen, which was a relief, and the only minor issue was a Liverpool bid for CB Rafa Marin - he wanted to go, I said I'd agree when someone met his £66m release clause, he said that was fair... then immediately put in a transfer request. However, he seems happy enough to wait for the big money bid.

I did have a number of backup players I felt had reached the end of the road with Vigo and we managed to move most of them on. Disappointing striker Joveljic joined Al-Wehda for £7.5m, a small profit; AML Luca De La Torre had been declining rapidly and was sold to Leicester for £7.5m; and AMR Miguel Rodriguez was loaned to Vitoria de Guimaraes who are paying £130k a month with an optional £3.8m future fee. Finally, we were forced to sell CB Taylor Harwood-Bellis after he complained about a lack of game time and couldn't be persuaded. He went to Lazio in a deal that should reach £10.75m.

With the existing squad depth we had adequate replacements for most of these, but I brought in reinforcements for two positions. At CB I found what I think will be a major upgrade on THB:

image.png.009c97d245a1c063f94bc013128c656a.png

Mane joins for £11.25m from Dortmund. He needs some development but at 21 he has plenty of time to improve. He's already made 5 first-team appearances and proved himself to be a capable backup to Marin.

I was uncertain about a replacement for Rodriguez at AMR but when the scouting team flagged a player who had done extremely well in my Southampton save, I decided to renew our acquaintance:

image.png.faed5e3d82c97ca24f9489413eabaed8.png

He's not quite the same player in this universe but he's not at all bad, and he's just the kind of small, tricky, elbows-out winger I like - fast, agile, good with the ball and a decent finisher. For just £3.1m from Uruguayan outfit Penarol he was also an absolute bargain, as shown by the immediate uptick in his value. He already has two goals and 6 assists in his short time here.

Results

image.png.62be86a11065109b879372b0ce2c88fd.png

The defeat to Barca in the Supercopa was irrelevant, although we did well to push them all the way. But a week later we went one better and beat them in the league. An honourable draw at Old Trafford in the Champions League was another good result but we finished the month with the players pretty much dead on their feet... a narrow defeat to Leverkusen meant we would have to play the Champions League knockout round, and a disappointing draw at lowly Osasuna was a major disappointment after we grabbed the lead after just 3 minutes.

image.png.b230914f2347b7ad0b72c887f57760fa.png

If we were struggling at the end of January, we flew through February, racking up some seriously impressive performances - beating arch-rivals Sociedad in the Copa del Rey, home and away victories against Fiorentina in Europe and a remarkable thumping - again! - of Real Madrid. Strand Larsen has been on fire, finding the net four times against Madrid and adding another 5 strikes this month. When he needed resting, youngster Marc Guiu has been an excellent deputy with 4G/3A in 5 starts and 13 sub appearances.

Larsen now has 32 goals from 35 appearances in all competitions and his radical improvement is, at least in part, due to a tactical switch. I started experimenting with a 433dm towards the end of last year. The double-pivot in the previous 4231 was excellent defensively but - since I don't have anyone capable of playing a progressive role like a volante - it lacked support in attack. Paradoxically, the 4231 also crowded out Larsen as the front four jammed the opposition area in attack. I hoped the 433 would give us a better balance but I didn't anticipate Larsen's incredible response to the extra space.

Since New Year, we've been playing the new system exclusively:

image.png.eea64f5eedaa7a341638851bf5fd741a.png

It's largely based on the 'control possession' preset with much simplified TIs - shorter passing, work ball, counter-press and a compressed defence with a higher defensive line and a mid-block. I'll usually start on 'balanced' or 'positive' and switch according to the game state.

We go into March fighting on multiple fronts. The league is a close two-horse race between us and Real Madrid:

image.png.e871d7be7f652aa2e73b2d1b50c6bfcc.png

Incredibly, we remain the only unbeaten team in the league. March will also see us play Spurs in the Champions League R16 and the second leg of the Copa del Rey semi-final against Madrid.

image.jpeg.c32b8320d0c0d6cd2147de44ce4f33df.jpeg

April 2027

Let's not keep @AlfieLucas on tenterhooks:

image.png.af41c792ecc632862e25b7d1117e6da9.png

To put a positive spin on it, honours were shared across the two games... if  you overlook the fact the we won on penalties :lol:

The home leg was a comfortable win for us, although I was always nervous until the second goal went in. Away, Spurs dominated and we were penned in our own final third for much of the game. But they couldn't find an aggregate lead until the first half of extra-time. Luckily, we grabbed a late equaliser when CB Mane headed home a corner and took it to penalties. The shootout looked like it might go on forever until Spurs CB Van de Ven had his attempt saved and we won 8-7.

That sets up a daunting semi-final against PSG.

On the domestic front we have continued our excellent form (although we got out of jail with three goals in the final 12 minutes against Vallecano):

image.png.0cbfef8a7af45f8b0094b5ae635ad0e8.png

Yet another win against Real Madrid sends us to Copa del Rey final to face Barcelona. And three wins in the league not only maintains our unbeaten season so far but sends us back to the top of the table ahead of Madrid and with a game in hand:

image.png.7ab189abd5d2cce4490dbbbb9db9056a.png

A bit of a dry spell for Larsen this month but, fortunately, understudy Guiu continues to do well and has taken his season tally to 8 goals and 3 assists.

Dare to dream? Not quite yet, but we're getting close!

6 minutes ago, warlock said:

Yet another win against Real Madrid sends us to Copa del Rey final to face Barcelona. And three wins in the league not only maintains our unbeaten season so far but sends us back to the top of the table ahead of Madrid and with a game in hand:

:applause:

6 minutes ago, warlock said:

Dare to dream? Not quite yet, but we're getting close!

I'm saying nothing as I don't want to jinx it for you, @warlock

image.jpeg.8ac24ebee5cd38cd5dbcfbb200c66c85.jpeg

April 2027 - First silverware

Still lots to play for midway through the month but I felt this was worthy of its own post:

image.png.bd2730f396516844740517bf2c36dbc9.png

image.png.fa0f224c312cb8eb4a8c2969d9258335.png

image.png.773bcca4aba3a00d105bde6bd7a8d9a5.png

Barcelona might feel hard done by - we edged the possession but they had more and better chances. A combination of great goalkeeping by Hedl and poor finishing by the Barca players cost them. We created two good chances and finished them both. Tactically, I was desperate to find a way to counter their narrow box system and thought playing Allende as a raumdeuter instead of an IF might work, and it did. Logically, there should be a ton of space in their wide-midfield areas but it's always hard to exploit.

Thankfully, we managed it this time and picked up our first trophy of the save.

2 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

could this be the breakthrough you've been close to?

It feels close. Very close. It'll be devastating if we throw it away from here but Real Madrid just won't quit, so we need to be pretty much perfect.

1 hour ago, Stuniverse said:

Now go lift the La Liga Trophy :D 

Yessir! :)

4 minutes ago, warlock said:

It feels close. Very close. It'll be devastating if we throw it away from here but Real Madrid just won't quit, so we need to be pretty much perfect.

Exactly how they are in real life. Not always the best side, but definitely find a way of winning more often than not.

11 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Love your system as well, nothing over complicated well balanced

Thanks, mate.

Warlock's Rules of Football Tactics:

1. Find something that works.

2. Understand why it works.

3. Understand what (and why) to change when it doesn't work.

Rule 3 is the difficult one and usually takes me half-a-season to figure it out :rolleyes:

Edited by warlock

4 hours ago, warlock said:

Thanks, mate.

Warlock's Rules of Football Tactics:

1. Find something that works.

2. Understand why it works.

3. Understand what (and why) to change when it doesn't work.

Rule 3 is the difficult one and usually takes me half-a-season to figure it out :rolleyes:

It’s a very good plan! I’m very similar this year. I’ve only ran with two systems, both same philosophy but offer slight difference for certain opponents. But am starting to look at things a lot differently defensively which I’ll cover at some point if I get a minute. 

I think the crucial bit is you know why it’s working, your not winging it and hoping for best. Allows you to make adjustments and makes it more enjoyable when the game-plan works as you’ve seen what you what to see from the team.