Does this 4-2-3-1 make sense?

This isn't for any team in particular, but I just happened to have a sudden thought about FM during a particularly boring meeting and couldn't decide whether this would work. Wanted to get some thoughts. (Central midfielders are in the regular CM strata)

PF-A

IW-A                AM-S             IW-S

BWM-S       CM-A

IFB-D       L-D/S     CD-D      IWB-S

SK-D

I haven't thought too much about the team instructions yet but pretty standard sort of ones - short passing, higher pressing etc.

I haven't really used the Libero position in a back 4 before so didn't know whether it made sense in this system. I guess my thoughts were that when the team has the ball, they revert to a back 2 with the Libero and the IWB moving into the central defensive midfield area to support the players ahead of them. Is it relatively logical? I am conscious that it wouldn't do much for width so I guess the IW's could become regular Wingers?

You could just ask the IW to stay wider.

If you do that,  i would probably ask the BWM to get further forward whenever possible to occupy the left half-space.

Same on the right, stay wider to the IW.

I would probably change the PF to a Poacher too

I don't see any problems with the roles and duties. What you have on your screen is your defensive shape. With the roles and duties you have chosen, your shape will turn into a 2-3-5 when attacking. It will look like this. With the new positional play, you should not worry about the Libero moving up into the midfielders place as he will slide over to make room for the Libero in the '3' of your 2-3-5 shape.

image.png.02bb22663b4ec7626736086b3cb0e9c4.png

Edited by Lasson

On 13/01/2024 at 09:43, Andrew Marines said:

If you do that,  i would probably ask the BWM to get further forward whenever possible to occupy the left half-space.

I would probably change the PF to a Poacher too

On 13/01/2024 at 10:36, kingjericho said:

I think the Libero will move to the same space as the BWM

I‘ve had a little play around with the BWM now I’ve actually had a chance to try this out. Works well with get further forward, as well as switching him to a carrilero in some games. Something to think about moving forward for me.

3 hours ago, Lasson said:

I don't see any problems with the rules and duties. What you have on your screen is your defensive shape. With the roles and duties you have chosen, your shape will turn into a 2-3-5 when attacking. It will look like this. With the new positional play, you should not worry about the Libero moving up into the midfielders place as he will slide over to make room for the Libero in the '3' of your 2-3-5 shape.

image.png.02bb22663b4ec7626736086b3cb0e9c4.png

This is really helpful to see it mapped out! Thanks very much!

40 minutes ago, HanziZoloman said:

Could be a bit tricky against counter-attacks but looks good I‘d say. Depends a bit on the players, a lot of positional play in the back demands some intelligence.

You’re spot on here. I’ve been hit by a few counter attacks but I guess that’s one of the flaws of a high possession system. Might experiment with trying to minimise the amount of counters I get hit by.

30 dakika önce, OrientTillIDie said:

but I guess that’s one of the flaws of a high possession system. Might experiment with trying to minimise the amount of counters I get hit by.

Couldnt agree more with this. As a fun of possession based football in my opinion, thats the weaknesses of possession orianted style IRL and FM. Because you are the playing one with ball, slowing things, taking time, opposition have much more time and chance to win the ball on their own half and you have much more time to make a mistake compared to fast transition style. Thinking about rest defence carefully and having numerical superiority are vital things on these kind of styles. Thats why Guardiola obsessed with his wing backs and central backs and trying lots of different things with them 😂

Edited by ibrahim.akbyk

If you are interested, here a video of Xavi’s thoughts about importance of creating numerical superiorities and getting second balls. You can also find a lot of other things about possession orianted styles on the video.

Edited by ibrahim.akbyk

vor 18 Stunden schrieb OrientTillIDie:

You’re spot on here. I’ve been hit by a few counter attacks but I guess that’s one of the flaws of a high possession system. Might experiment with trying to minimise the amount of counters I get hit by.

Have you watched @Rashidi video on opposition instructions? I bet you can do something with that against it. It is so much fun to hit the right boxes and outsmart the opponent. Maybe that’s the next best thing to do, it’s something like a Defense matchplan. He describes it during games which is extremely helpful. 

A team that play two wingers counterattack system can give you some trouble if dont counterpress correctly when you lose possesion, this would be an approach to use when you are playing against an underdog expecting you to go camping their half, if not I would avoid the use of certain roles for a rougher matches, I would recommend to play a 3-2 instead of a 2-3 on those cases.