The current state of the game

I am a long time CM/FM player. Been playing since the first CM in the 1990s. This year i have serious doubts about the quality of the game and its long term playability. Im thinking about the fact that players in the youth teams doesnt rotate etc. 

Before i eventually start a save Im looking for opinions from serious players on the current state of the game. Is it worth it to start a long term save? Im wondering since its a investment in time and energy.

Cheers!

Moaners are always gonna moan. The rest of us acknowledge the limitations and find ways around them.

daveincid's "increased realism" files do a great job, but if you want actual evidence of seasoned players enjoying FM24, have a gander at the Careers and Challenges forums for long-term saves that go well

FM Career Updates

Challenges, Sign-Ups & Experiments

FWIW, here's mine:

https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/580149-thorfinn-–-a-sporting-and-social-revolution-begins/

These are extremely popular forums as you can see from the rapid turnover in posts and likes.

9 hours ago, Andreas said:

I am a long time CM/FM player. Been playing since the first CM in the 1990s. This year i have serious doubts about the quality of the game and its long term playability. Im thinking about the fact that players in the youth teams doesnt rotate etc. 

Before i eventually start a save Im looking for opinions from serious players on the current state of the game. Is it worth it to start a long term save? Im wondering since its a investment in time and energy.

Cheers!

Go to the fm24 official feedback thread, therein quickly scroll though and find the highly upvoted posts. Yes some of them are sarcastic and 'moany' but many of them are deep and insightful. Then you can get a good picture of what to expect  and the promise-delivery difference of the developers.

12 hours ago, Andreas said:

Cheers!

The players don't rotate thing is nonsense if you have the Increased Realism Mod. Don't know how it is in Vanilla, but in my save in 2026 I see the AI having 6 regen players under the age of 18 getting playing time in the Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A, and Ligue 1. And like 12 more teams under the age of 20 getting playing time from the AI. I imagine that the issues regarding wingbacks' dribbling won't be fixed in long term saves though. I have seen plenty of posts about that. But yeah the AI definitely rotates young players with the Increased Realism mod. 

I would probably suggest if you want feedback and opinions on FM24, reading the feedback thread where people who are playing the game post their thoughts and opinions is actually a good idea in order to get a balanced opinion. The bug report forum can also give you a good idea of current issues and if they’re a big deal to you or not. I would also recommending checking out the FM Reddit, it’s pretty positive and entertaining and can give you some fun inspiration to buy the game.

the feedback thread can get a bit emotional sometimes as people are passionate about the game and get frustrated sometimes but It also has lots of praise for the game in it, so I don't think it's fair to say it's just full of moaners. 

imo if you enjoy FM, buy FM24. It’s not perfect but nothing is. We all moan about issues with FM but we all play FM all day anyway :) 

Edited by Mobius

7 hours ago, CrowManager said:

The players don't rotate thing is nonsense if you have the Increased Realism Mod. Don't know how it is in Vanilla, but in my save in 2026 I see the AI having 6 regen players under the age of 18 getting playing time in the Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A, and Ligue 1. And like 12 more teams under the age of 20 getting playing time from the AI. I imagine that the issues regarding wingbacks' dribbling won't be fixed in long term saves though. I have seen plenty of posts about that. But yeah the AI definitely rotates young players with the Increased Realism mod. 

forgive me if this seems to be a naive question, but how exactly does the realism mod affect AI behavior?  Isn’t this something that would be more or less “under the hood” when it comes to FM’s AI behavior from team to team and/or manager to manager (AI)

Some things are hardcoded, some have probability values or thresholds than can be dabbled with that affect AI behavior.

The best one to answer your question is the modder "Daveincid" himself and he has also a patreon where he often posts.

One of his aims is more realistic player development and every month he updates his mod - although the update takes only effect for a new save and wont affect already existing saves.

Together with some house rules you are able to create the challenge you want for yourself.

There is another thing - youth rotation may also be affected by the "Detail Setting" of the game - if you do not simulate the youth games to a certain degree the ai may not make a good or any rotation but the more detail you add the slower the game becomes.

Up to you! :)

Edited by Etebaer

8 minutes ago, Etebaer said:

The best one to answer your question is the modder "Daveincid" himself and he has also a patreon where he often posts.

He's a hard man to pin down - the only way you're likely to get an answer from the man himself is if you join his Patreon as a paid member (this is not a criticism - I'd be the same if I put that much work into a mod).

As a mere user, I can't pin down exactly what improvements his files make. Could they be a placebo? I don't think so - all I can say is I and others who use his mods don't seem to experience the same level of frustration as those who don't.

15 hours ago, dℍaisa said:

Go to the fm24 official feedback thread, therein quickly scroll though and find the highly upvoted posts. Yes some of them are sarcastic and 'moany' but many of them are deep and insightful. Then you can get a good picture of what to expect  and the promise-delivery difference of the developers.

Terrible advice on a forum where downvotes do not exist.  If someone can say something completely mental and downright wrong, and 12 people agree with it, that doesn't make it good content.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb phnompenhandy:

He's a hard man to pin down - the only way you're likely to get an answer from the man himself is if you join his Patreon as a paid member (this is not a criticism - I'd be the same if I put that much work into a mod).

As a mere user, I can't pin down exactly what improvements his files make. Could they be a placebo? I don't think so - all I can say is I and others who use his mods don't seem to experience the same level of frustration as those who don't.

I use them since 2 years - there are limitations to what can be done but as he also adds locations, leagues etc. it is far beyond and above a placebo!

Patreon starts at 2 Euros which should be ok to test it out - you can cancel monthly when you have a monthly sub (there are also yearly subs).

7 minutes ago, Etebaer said:

I use them since 2 years - there are limitations to what can be done but as he also adds locations, leagues etc. it is far beyond and above a placebo!

Patreon starts at 2 Euros which should be ok to test it out - you can cancel monthly when you have a monthly sub (there are also yearly subs).

The extra geography and weather files are very important to my saves. I just meant it's hard to pin down the changes in youth and squad development over long periods of time.

Just today I paid up to get the latest updates and then cancelled. I'm sure I'll rinse and repeat when I'm ready to start a new save.

Any additional thoughts on this?  I am still trying to figure out how or why (or even if) the AI behavior is altered when using Daves realism mod.  I do have every league in the game loaded already with a large database, so my thinking is that there shouldn't really be any shortage of players to help the AI with squad building.  I am also running every league in full detail, which is also supposed to help the AI. (from what I have gathered anyway)

Any other thoughts or observations on this subject?  I find it interesting just because I am unsure how the mod could/would alter AI behavior?  I just got back from my holiday trip, so I thought I would go back to discussing this after a couple of weeks.

2 hours ago, psucolonel said:

Any additional thoughts on this?  I am still trying to figure out how or why (or even if) the AI behavior is altered when using Daves realism mod.  I do have every league in the game loaded already with a large database, so my thinking is that there shouldn't really be any shortage of players to help the AI with squad building.  I am also running every league in full detail, which is also supposed to help the AI. (from what I have gathered anyway)

Any other thoughts or observations on this subject?  I find it interesting just because I am unsure how the mod could/would alter AI behavior?  I just got back from my holiday trip, so I thought I would go back to discussing this after a couple of weeks.

"TRANSFER PREFERENCES
I have researched all nations on transfermarkt.com that have a preference for players with a certain nationality and adjusted them accordingly. Over 200 nations have been edited! Not only the nationalities have been adjusted, but also the age preferences. There are certain nations that clearly stand out as "development leagues" based on various data. (Very high proportion of players under the age of 24). For example Denmark, Austria, Belgium, Switzerland, Croatia or even obscure nations such as Kyrgyzstan."

That's what it states, but presumably a bit with him editing youth, plus also more injuries, it allows for higher rotation, it allows more opportunities for players to break into the team due to injuries, requires more depth of teams, etc.

Don't know for sure, as I'm also of the opinion that a lot of the hatred towards the game this year is not what I have experienced so far in my save or stuff I've seen in other games that's only starting to annoy people.

I would personally not recommend full detail for every league in the game, because gee golly that'll cook a lot. If your PC can handle it and go at decent speed sure. Think for myself I have like the top 20 in my Europe, the ones in England (where I play), top 2 in SA, Tunisia and a few in Africa, Mexico and USA, and not much else. It's all personal preference of course.

Edited by CrowManager

hace 2 horas, psucolonel dijo:

Daveincid's mod doesn't alter AI behavior. I'll list the changes he makes to promote more squad rotation from memory, so I could be wrong.

1. He raises/lowers the manager attributes and tendencies that lead to more squad rotation and more use of substitutions. For example, there are manager ratings that influence: how much AI managers rotate the starting 11 for matches in low-priority cups, how much they rotate in general, and the likelihood of offering hot prospects on loan.

2. He raises injury frequency to a more realistic level, which obviously leads to more rotation.

3. In FM23 he also made several changes to boost how young players gain reputation, which influences their likelihood of getting playing time, but I'm not sure if he replicated this for FM24 yet.

• 3 months later...
On 27/12/2023 at 10:19, phnompenhandy said:

Moaners are always gonna moan. The rest of us acknowledge the limitations and find ways around them.

You describe people, who want full-fledged product they bought as moaners.

Ok i got It - you are kind of guy, who won't complain even if you find a dead rat in a dish at a restaurant.

If I pay for strategy game - I expect some challenge from it. And its hard, when every AI manager have 5IQ.

By now, I can describe state of the game as terrible buggy - BUT DONT WORRY.

You can just buy preorder of FM25 (more complete than most complete version) and just forget about buggy FM24.

image.thumb.png.2db18404a04fbaa0e9fae1fe77cf5af1.png

image.thumb.png.9ff09898ecff7b8f1a05288f70fb3323.png