Mini challenges by XaW

So, I've had this idea going for a while to run some sort of mini challenges with an overall score board. Most of the challenges in here are long term career type, so why not mix it up with some shorter ones that are a bit more competitive than usual. The idea is that this can be run for a shorter term if anyone needs a break from their usual save, or just wish to try something new.

I know something like this has been done before, but I thought I'd try my hand at creating and keeping the score for it now. If no one wants to participate, then this will most likely die a slow death, but why not give it a shot to see if there are any takers.

The idea is that I create a save with some sort of premiss and provide a save file that anyone can download and play from that point on. I will set some goals for each, and assign them points for how difficult they are. Anyone can try any challenge how many times they like, but only the best single run will count towards the score. I'll update the scoreboard in the next post regularly, but I'll also keep a google sheet with all the info for all challenges including the score as a place where all info can be viewed at a glance:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/138m7Kd3eBUVDW-K28SQdYez5E7aR4hyDGFE1Ho9N9kU/edit?usp=sharing

Hopefully people will join up and give this a go! :D 

Challenge 1

Save Leicester

jU7Zv2F.png

Can you save Leicester from relegation? As well as getting Jamie Vardy back to his scoring form? We are half way into the season and Leicester are bottom, 6 points off safety. Jamie Vardy has been a shadow of his former self, and has lost the starting spot to Patson Daka, even if neither has scored many goals. Vardy has 3 league goals, while Haaland, and Toney has 11 so Vardy still has a chance of becoming top scorer and keep Leicester up.

Link to file. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jU98EbUwnyPQod0bLYrB0rj-KIjyLbfQ/view?usp=sharing

How to play:

Download the save, and load it in FM23.
Add yourself as manager for Leicester with whatever history and badges you want (I recommend the highest)
Play the save until the season ends and all teams have played 38 games and the league table is complete as well as until you are out of the cup or win it.
Complete as many objectives as possible and provide screenshots to gain points.

Objectives Points Proof needed
Completing the challenge 1 Implicit by the rest
Avoid relegation 10 League table at end of season
Make Jamie Vardy top scorer of the PL 30 Player stats from the PL
Get Vardy to 15 league goals total 10 Player history screen
Get Vardy to 20 league goals total 20 Player history screen
Getting Leicester into Europe through the league 50 League table at end of season
Win the FA Cup 30 Fixture list filtered on FA Cup only
Beat Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool, or Man City in the league 5 points for each win Match overview
Sell Patson Daka for over £50m 5 Screenshot from when the transfer is completed

Challenge 2

Beating Johor!

R5GSOzm.png

Johor Darul Ta'zim has won the league every season since 2014. Can you be the one to break the dominance? Take over Kuala Lumpur City partway into the season, overtake Jahor and claim the title for The Garden City of Lights! Also complete some additional objective for the club and Malaysian football.

Link to file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-8DGwyeQUW4Vpop_gB8gyXCmKjRrJ2KV/view?usp=sharing

How to play:

Download the save, and load it in FM23.
Add yourself as manager for Kuala Lumpur City with whatever history and badges you want (I recommend the highest)
Play the save until the season ends and all teams have played 22 games and the league table is complete as well as until you are out of the cup or win it.
Complete as many objectives as possible and provide screenshots to gain points.

Objectives Points Proof needed
Completing the challenge 1 Implicit by the rest
Winning the title 20 League table at end of season
Beating Jahor, but not winning the title 10 League table at end of season
Win a game with ONLY Malaysian players 5 Match Overview and a squad screenshot including all players in the match squad
Make Mohd Fakhrul Aiman Sidid topscorer of the league 5 Player stats from the PL
End with a positive bank balance 5 Finance screen
Win the Cup 10 Fixture list filtered on the Cup only
End the season with the fewest conceded goals in the league 5 League table at end of season

More to come...

Template for submitting

Challenge: 1
User: XaW

Completing the challenge - 1
Avoid relegation - 10
Make Jamie Vardy top scorer of the PL - 30
Get Vardy to 15 league goals total - 10
Get Vardy to 20 league goals total - 20
Getting Leicester into Europe through the league - 50
Win the FA Cup - 30
Beat Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool, or Man City in the league - 5 points for each win
Sell Patson Daka for over £50m - 5

Total points: 176 points (max)

<Remove the objectives that were not completed and subtract from the total>

Screenshots proving the above point scoring. Usually league table or the like depending on the challenge:

For other challenges, just add whatever objectives are completed.

I started myself to make sure at least someone plays, and I had a go in Challenge 1:

User: XaW

Avoid relegation - 10
Beat Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool, or Man City in the league - 5 points for each win - Won over Arsenal and Man City = 10 points

Total points: 21 points

Vardy was looking good to get at least 15 league goals, but he suffered a lot of injuries towards the end of the season, so he ended on 10 while missing the last 9 league matches. For the record, Haaland was top scorer with 29 goals, so quite far off. I were also unable to sell Daka at all. In the FA Cup I beat Millwall, but lost away to Brentford in the next round. Overall quite happy with my effort, but struggled to get the tactic working initially, and we picked up most of the points in the latter part of the season.

Screenshots proving the above point scoring. Usually league table or the like depending on the challenge:

B8AvP2U.png

vHlni2w.png

X7HJCvF.png

• 1 month later...

User: JaytheGreat

Avoid relegation - 10

Beat Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool, or Man City in the league - 5 points for each win x2 (arsenal, Manchester City)

Total points: 21

LEITable.thumb.png.3f17e1d12ad834293354c12fed7582ce.png

WinvsArsenal.thumb.png.6991ee1c6550733fe7e1989aeac060c7.png

LeivsManCity.thumb.png.8f5d4683ef817288772c0bf974624e61.png

Definitely a fun challenge, the beginning was a pretty rough start but our fortune turned around when James Maddison got healthy. Daka was terrible up front as a striker and Vardy got injured 4 or 5 times but getting Maddison back and plugging him in as an AMC really got our attack going, We scoped up Thiago Almada and a transfer listed Eric Garcia on deadline day. Almada had 6 goals and 2 assists playing in the AMC and AML roles and occasional a mezzala when playing in a 4-3-3. Really struggled finding a formation at home we played a 4-2-3-1, on the road it was a 4-3-3, and on the road against the big 6 it was 5-3-2. The hardest part was picking the lineup right, never settled on a true #1 GK, the Faes-Garcia pairing became solid late, and it was really throwing players at the wall for the fullbacks, but I think Luke Thomas and Thomas Castagne ended up being the most consistent. Barnes and Maddison were life savers up front and Iheanacho was at times very good before going out with a long-term injury right when he was starting to find some form. We finished strong on an 8-game unbeaten streak outscoring our opponents 21-8 over those 8 games. Vardy ended up with 12 league goals and we got knocked out in the 5th round of the FA Cup by Fulham and having after having 2 easy teams in rounds 3 and 4. 

Edited by JaytheGreat

Great to see someone else also giving this a go, I was beginning to feel lonely! :D

Not sure if this is viable based on the low participating, but I might give it another go around FM24, we'll see.

3 hours ago, XaW said:

Great to see someone else also giving this a go, I was beginning to feel lonely! :D

Not sure if this is viable based on the low participating, but I might give it another go around FM24, we'll see.

I am giving this a go until the beta comes out - I'd completely missed it the first time as FM23's been a bit of an up and down FM for me.

I'll be able to pop up attempts on both over the next couple of days, but I really like the idea of the shorter challenges in this sense considering the rest in here are majority long term saves.

Challenge 1:
Username: Anners92

Winning the FA Cup - 30

Total Points: 31

I don't really know what happened here. Was literally a tale of 2 different teams - incredibly inconsistent in the league and we just couldn't finish to save our lives. Contrast that to the FA Cup where, to try put it politely, we dicked everyone. We got incredibly lucky and avoided any of the sides that finished in the top 6. I'm simultaneously quite happy and annoyed with how this attempt ended! Vardy only managed 8 - he was injured for about 75% of the challenge so really couldn't do anything with him.

League-Tablea8a81fcee822050f.png

FA-Cup6903be95ece83b77.png

14 minutes ago, Anners said:

Challenge 1:
Username: Anners92

Winning the FA Cup - 30

Total Points: 31

I don't really know what happened here. Was literally a tale of 2 different teams - incredibly inconsistent in the league and we just couldn't finish to save our lives. Contrast that to the FA Cup where, to try put it politely, we dicked everyone. We got incredibly lucky and avoided any of the sides that finished in the top 6. I'm simultaneously quite happy and annoyed with how this attempt ended! Vardy only managed 8 - he was injured for about 75% of the challenge so really couldn't do anything with him.

League-Tablea8a81fcee822050f.png

FA-Cup6903be95ece83b77.png

Well done! Even with a relegation you are still the highest scorer! :D 

@XaW Sorry to drag you away from the all encompassing beta thread...

Bit of a question with the "Win with only Malaysian Players" objective. Sean Giannelli is Malaysian, but has declared for Italy. Is he able to be played?

Edited by Anners

5 minutes ago, Anners said:

@XaW Sorry to drag you away from the all encompassing beta thread...

Bit of a question with the "Win with only Malaysian Players" objective. Sean Giannelli is Malaysian, but has declared for Italy. Is he able to be played?

Honestly hadn't really given it that much thought, but I guess as long as they actually have Malaysia as 1st or 2nd nationality.

Nice idea. I've just got a new laptop and didn't have a solid plan for starting a new game, so decided to give this a go.

It didn't start well. We went five league games without a win, and were knocked out of the FA Cup by Manchester United. Jamie Vardy only scored once in this time, and also put in a transfer request.

A change of approach was needed, so I switched up our formation from 4-5-1 to 4-4-2. And unexpectedly this paid off straight away with a win over Arsenal.

0d6c867daa4bc330fddb4d563defa7e1.png

From this point on our form improved, winning four and drawing three of the next nine games. Vardy was hitting the back of the net on a regular basis, and we dragged our way up to 17th place.

But then the players took their feet off the gas, and three successive losses put us back in trouble. A 2-0 win over Nottingham Forest on the penultimate day saw us pick up a much needed three points, and we rose back up to 17th.

So it all came down to the final day. We hosted Manchester City, while Brentford travelled to Newcastle. We managed a very creditable 1-1 draw, but it didn't matter anyway as Brentford got battered. 

Jamie Vardy ended up as our top scorer with 12 goals, one ahead of Kelechi Iheanacho.

48d17f7c5762649332c549f6afb67d09.png

User: DaneBramage

Completing the challenge - 1 point
Avoid relegation - 10 points
Beat Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool, or Man City in the league - 1 win x 5 points

Total points: 16 points

Worst result submitted so far, but I suppose someone has to come last! And I'll use the excuse that this is my first time on FM23 for a while, after mainly going back to FM20.

Next stop - Malaysia

Another idea for this thread which I may attempt at some point during the FM24 cycle.

Schalke in Germany are back (for the second time in three years) in the 2. Bundesliga.  So, get them up and get them back in the Champions League where they were perrenial entrants.  Target:  Three seasons.

A slightly easier challenge I feel though this one is one of the Do It Better challenges.

Ajax have spent time at the foot of the Everidisie this season and lost 0-4 at home to Feyenoord and 5-3 at PSV.

Challenge:  Do better!  Use “Real World” database and try to finish in the Champions League spots.  Target:  one season.

On 05.11.2023 at 22:23, DazRTaylor said:

A slightly easier challenge I feel though this one is one of the Do It Better challenges.

Ajax have spent time at the foot of the Everidisie this season and lost 0-4 at home to Feyenoord and 5-3 at PSV.

Challenge:  Do better!  Use “Real World” database and try to finish in the Champions League spots.  Target:  one season.

But ajax is strong in fm 24

On 05/11/2023 at 20:23, DazRTaylor said:

Problem is that Ajax suffer from the same issue as Man Utd the last few years, FM can't sim the chaos at the club.