Sepp Blatter: World Cup in Qatar was a mistake

Barry Cartman

Former FIFA-chairman Sepp Blatter admits the World Cup shouldn't be held in Qatar during an interview with Tages-Anzeiger. 'The country is too small, football and the World Cup are too big for it. The decision was a mistake. The executive committee decided that the 2018 World Cup would go to Russia and the 2022 World Cup to the US. It would be a sign of peace, having to countries with a long history of political clashes hosting the World Cup back to back.'

'A week before the FIFA congress in 2010 Michel Platini called me to tell that our plan wouldn't work. He was invited to the presidential palace of French president Sarkozy, who had just had lunch with the prince of Qatar. Sarkozy told Platini: "Look what you and your UEFA colleagues could do for Qatar if they host the World Cup." I asked him: "So what now?" '

'He told me: "Sepp, what would you do if your president asked this of you?" I told him I couldn't relate, because we don't have a president in Switzerland. It worked out like they wanted, because of Platini's 4 votes the World Cup went to Qatar instead of the US, that is the truth.'

'Of course it was about money as well. Six months later Qatar bought fighter jets from France for 14.6 billion dollars.'

Shock!

They're all corrupt bastards 

On 08/11/2022 at 23:42, PMLF said:

Big country (useful as the WC is being expanded to 48 teams), enough big stadiums, they have done a good job hosting other big events before.

Which definitely makes up for all the murdering. Nice call.

On 09/11/2022 at 09:16, PMLF said:

Qatar hosting the WC is obviously a mistake, hopefully next time an AFC country hosts it, it will be China or Australia.

No thanks to China who put Qatar in the shade on rights abuses, and are gearing up for their Taiwan invasion