[FM23] & [FM24] Ernst Happel Challenge - If at First You Don't Succeed, Try, Try Again

SixPointer

1 hour ago, DavidBeckham said:

Class thread as usual mate! Will definitely be following this. Keep up the progress!

Thanks bud! Appreciate it. Trying to play with a bit more speed this year to allow space to have a serious chance at completion 

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Display.jpg.1250df72f9823c895a725c88efb1aaa6.jpg

November 2023

Josep Martinez was signed in the summer for 500,000 euros, a bargain in terms of what he should have cost coming from RB Leipzig and after a solid loan season at Genoa in Serie B. I was torn between him and Popovic but with Martinez shading the sweeping aspect and Popovic signing a new deal it was the Spaniard with one cap who arrived.

Initially I was excited about him, someone who I had followed in FM22 when at Sparta Rotterdam before opting for Bart Verbruggen as he was immense at sweeping. The one thing I never learned from FM22 that a goalkeeper must be a goalkeeper first before you worry about the ball playing aspect, the priority is to stop balls hitting the net not starting moves.

Well after the first few months of the season I thought I had fallen into the same trap, so much so that 17-year-old Felix Dietinger has been afforded 10 appearances 9 of which were starts. Well November was the month that Martinez looked like he has settled in upper Austria.

500cd75658cde5c2596cd42721e9575b.png

Huge three points to get the month underway, both managers knew what was at stake and setup accordingly.

A sweeping counterattack from deep allowed us to take the lead early on, the direct ball from the anchor to the feet of the target man a thing of true beauty, a quick one two and he is sent down the line to cross for the on rushing Mezzala. 7 passes and the balls went from our box to the back of the net.

It wasn’t one way traffic by any sense of the word, Wolfsberger created several good chances thanks to captain Thierno Ballo. 5 successful dribbles, 3 key passes, 1 clear cut chance and he gained possession10 times. He gave our anchor man a run for his money in the number 10, dragging him all over the place.

A superb stop from Josep, curling around bodies and looking to hit the top corner. The Spaniard was more than equal to it and set his month off and running!

767d871571183237a61472e7e80dc7c5.png

Both teams set up in 3-4-1-2 formations and to an extent cancelled each other out. An uneventful game but one that we controlled and our first win in the group stages which am sure will prove vital.

A marauding run down the right from wide centre back Pfeiffer and cross to match found Kulenovic at the back post to power a header home.

cbc3a8ea0b7ed0914fd3b06f21a90c83.png

The double man marking job on the Plzen number 10 kept him quiet, lesson learnt from the previous game. Closing down the deeper pivots and man marking him with both our pivots limited him to only 11 pass attempts with 0 being progressive, one dribble and a 6.4 rating overall.

21e0be9a7a7b1216159011cf25c30770.png

1-0 again, three on the bounce. Revenge for Tirol robbing us in our last meeting is served. 

My shift to a mid-block has really strengthen our defensive capabilities, allowing the solid base to really do its job while allowing space for our attacking players to exploit. Snaping into the press still gives good bite but allows to suck our opponents out.

Our goal comes from man of the match Issouf Sissokho (on loan from Bordeaux) winning the ball back, then slotting the target forward in behind to finish. 

dea90c5e0eb3a0d6ca43a4b0c55607ff.png

Josep Martinez was in fine form, had this chance came earlier in the season I don’t think he would have saved it. He really has improved on the shot stopping front, now am not sure if he has just begun to settle or the fact, we are protecting him a lot better, he does still face chances. Either way he seems to have found his feet or hands should I say.

aa3e3e907a107466b2ca24a6dcecbefe.png

A clean sheet, progress. The second time we have taken a point from the Austrian winning machine. If ever there was a time to play them it would be without a manager, although the change of shape at the last minute almost caught us out.

Limiting them to 0.47 in terms of XG is phenomenal when you consider how free scoring they are. Passed the ball well and Pfeiffer has really started to excel on the right side of the three, the shift from the centre is allowing him to progress the ball down the channel. 

The quality of our chances have suffered but again the solid base is now allowing me to tinker with the potential mix of 4 attacking players, supplemented by the wing backs.

7c4ca2024440c8c1e76997c5ffd95260.png

The final match of the month another clean sheet, but the finishing really let us down this time. 2.20 XG and not hitting the back of the net is not acceptable. The sold defence is essential in terms of a clean sheet will always reap at least one point, but I would prefer to be known for our fast-attacking style. Work to be done.

This leaves us on 6 points and Bodo and Plzen trailing us both on 3. Roma is our final opponent so this could prove a very costly lack of finishing prowess, A draw in Roma would do us, or a draw in the Arctic circle.

fef005a4d4936337a788f27fa29caf2e.png

Josep Martinez finished the month with 5 clean sheets, 9 saves, and average rating above 7.3 for every match. Expected goals against 3.5 and 0 conceded. I thought I had been sucked in again by opting for a better ball player between the sticks but going on current form he looks to be living up to a potential top bargain signing.

Xmas.jpg.9fec7bee3660ae6995f38080310142b8.jpg

December 2023

c16c3c6b9dd471193b46c044b58c9a34.png

More clean sheets on the domestic front making it seven in a row in all competitions, unfortunately the run came to an end when we needed one the most in the Italian Capital.

Having crowned SKU Amstetten a local derby due to its close proximity, they sit just the other side of Linz approximately 1 hour 20 minute’s drive. It’s always nice to get a win, how long they last in the division remains to be seen. For now, it’s a local derby.

Kulenovic put their defensive to the sword, finishing the match with two goals, showing his ability to operate as the advanced forward in the front pairing as well as the target man. HIs first goal was a nice ball in behind and he finishes emphatically. His ability to play both roles and so well is really driving the type of striker required for the long term.

Austria Lustenau well renowned for their counter attacking exploits, were out manoeuvred. Our deep passing combinations eventually drawing them out.

Kulenovic turned provider, a perfectly weighted through ball to Feiertag who smashes it home something he seems to be doing a lot more often after learning the trait shoots with power. My reasoning for training him, he lacks composure therefore I think he is better just smashing it as he has good finishing and technique.

We matched AS Roma for the first 45 minutes, going virtually man for man against them and sitting deep allowing them the ball in front of us worked. 

The second half was a different story, 10 minutes after the break and the pressure told. We pulled on back through the inform Kulenovic but a terrible mistake from Sissokho getting caught in our half on the ball allowed the Italians to take all three points.

9b1c8c4ad808a0ff7b71096777b6470b.png

A late Viktoria Plzen penalty up in the arctic circle seen the game with Bodo/Glimt finish 1-1, in doing so it sent us into the knock phase of the Europa league.

Again, massively head of schedule however we were less than convincing in the group in all honesty. Three draws and a win all coming in the vital matches I highlighted after the groups were drawn was enough to see us over the line.

aa44eea35a2fdc6aee869aa33bd3537d.png

The draw pitches against another formidable Red Bull side, this time from the east German city of Leipzig. Certainly, a tough match against a side many would expect to be in the UEFA champions league knockout stages.

Three Austria sides represented in this first knockout phase, the other Red Bull team from Salzburg who drop in from the UCL and SK Austria Klagenfurt who made it out their group also. who are really struggling in the league, suffering from a lack of squad depth I presume.

Oberösterreich Derby

1006798662_AwayDerby.jpg.e608356ee803b5c4cd54eb7af355cfbf.jpg

A famous five victory, 5-1 winners and in LINZ! Such a result the supporters will saviour for some time. It also shows how far we have come in such a short space of time to be dishing out beatings like this to our somewhat larger neighbour.

Our game plan executed to perfection, sitting in our aggressive mid-block and channelling our possession hungry neighbours down our sides before engaging them allowed us to trap them further up the pitch which left serious space in behind to exploit and exploit it, we did.

01e6acd301c10752b3cea2cd3f430f8b.png

65% vs 35% possession in their favour but all in front of our solid shape, the registered 5 shots at goal and only 2 on target. 0 clear cut chances for them, their goal was a nice move a great through ball which is disappointing on our side of things.

Their pass map shows their nice combinations, but they severely lacked penetration. not committing to all out high pressing against a very possession-oriented side and system proved pivotal. At the start of the game, I spoke about being intelligent in my pressing and this is the perfect example. Had I gone all out high pressing I dare say they would have exploited the gaps.

a346b3dd9f2db7df25719380be9da054.png

In the build up to our second goal (yes, they start with the ball) you can see the central dominance in our mid-block, 5v4 in the centre of the pitch that without considering each teams CB's. You can also see how I give up space to each full back but have the wide midfielders man marked, this is to encourage play down our sides in the early phase but blocking the pass into the final third. This also allowed their full backs to advance and then leave space on the flank or in the channel to attack.

As you can see the ball is played to the full back who in turn plays it inside, the ball is then slipped to the striker but is cut out from the anchor man. The passing lane into the final third blocked, now the anchor lays it off to the wing back who sends the advanced forward running down the channel into the space vacated from the opposition full back.

6df38eeef245d0f2f1593cb1a33c51ac.gif

The AF lays the ball back to the advancing wing back in acres of space, he fires in a cross which is knocked down by the Mezzala and the AF lashes it home.

Note four players all attacking the box, this is the huge advantage of the 3-1-4-2 shape. I can have a AF running channels, a target man as a focal point to hold it up and gets us up the pitch, a box crasher arriving late and a link man all from the front 4. The anchor man and back three give a solid base to allow the wing backs to be aggressive in possession but the natural shape of the system and mid-block makes us very compact and hard to play through out of possession.

After a few years of possession/total football I wasn’t sure how I would take to this more direct style but I’m really starting to fall in love with it. I did play like this for a period with Odd but now its more detailed more systematic.

The challenge of testing myself again tactically and learning really is drawing me into the save. Gone are the frustrations of dominating the ball for large periods only to come undone from a single goal. The hunter has become the hunted in that sense as I now look to do this to the AI.

9 minutes ago, DavidBeckham said:

It's a good choice to go more direct as it seems to be more effective on this version of the game! Chaos will bring goals! KUTGW mate!

Thanks man. Yeah I was getting a little bored of the style of play last year. I think I had taken it as far as I could. It was all about how we wanted to play the game. Now I’m more intrigued about how the opponent wants to play it and then exploiting it. It’s really driving a lot more immersion for me. Each game is really studied for. 

39 minutes ago, rich ruzzian said:

That is heavy

Vessel is here taking pipeline on board so busy time. Rotation for the first three weeks of January should mean more game time. Although sometimes home life gets more in the way :lol: can’t win 

January 2024

bb1177ba89d6601ea8d49b5627e8a886.png

Three loan players in, three loans out and two players sold.

A productive and intelligent winter window with a clear strategy. Signing players in January can often be rushed, expensive and in the end panic buys. Loans will bridge the gap and allow me more time to make decision on players that am still developing a scouting profile off.

Monschein’s game time has significantly reduced after the arrivals of Kulenovic and Keke Topp (on loan), he was 31 and past his peak cashing in on 800k will prove to be smart business am sure of it.

Bartosz Bialek comes in on loan to replace him, he is a free agent in the summer and has been on my striker shortlist. He hasn’t been getting a game at all in Germany but is certainly our type of forward with a DNA of 75 and the ability to be a physical striker, the loan will give me a try before you buy and allow me to gather some stats.

Noah Atubola is cover for Josep, young Felix Dietinger has done a splendid job but I wanted to send him out on loan for a more permanent first team exposure in a lower league, so Noah now comes in to push Josep, there is no real chance of this being a permanent deal as he is really well regarded at SC Freiburg.

Nechaev has never really got going and hasn’t provided enough competition for Ilenic for the RWB slot, so I’ve shifted him on for 60k of profit and brought in Zanotti on loan just to cover the gap. Schwermann has done well when called upon, but he complained about game time so he’s off to Holland for a spell.

February 2024

f37a755ea1106a3a0a19b1c8a35a220b.png

No competitive matches in January due to the winter break, but some vital friendly matches to get the team back up to speed for a very important and pivotal February, with the OFB Cup ¼ and a knockout European stage spilt between the big Vienna two no doubt we had our work cut out.

SV Horn 4-0 (H)

2de75608614d5f568b39f9ea89a7e846.png

e165c9eed98a8fad2845f9a949833466.gif

Quite the start regardless of level of opponent. His movement and finish for his second is exactly what am talking about.

We controlled the game as expected, our build up plays was precise and considering we aren’t used to camping in the opponents half for long periods of time we excelled in deep creation, Kraev and debutant Xhevdet Mulaj (from first intake) controlled the game from deep and both pivots finished with assists.

Another Favourable draw in the Semi Final.......... The stars are starting to along here, but we can’t get complacent.

SK Rapid 1-2 (H)

abf5add6d6103135fbe227078f133777.png

A poor result, SK Rapid came into the game in good form but I felt suitably prepared. 11 minutes in and we are undone from a set piece for me the worst way to concede, due to the fact I put just as much effort into my defensive setups as I do my attacking ones.

We did get back into the match and a late surge which coincided with the substitution of Stefan Feiertag who grabbed a goal and harshly had a second ruled out. Negative result but we did create chances so it’s a case of dusting ourselves down and going again.

RB Leipzig 2-2 (A)

48b495f1fd2ccebd77c18dae228b9f89.png

Something I was of course prepared for, they controlled the game no doubt about it as they rushed into a two-goal lead.

The character we showed to stay in the game and then snatch a lifeline before halftime really impressed me and shows the resilience we are building as a squad. Snatching a point from the East German giants is a gigantic result even if they have struggled on the domestic front.

534a8eafdce68de61e5c33e6601901c5.gif

01735e4f2a2f5000b2042559f4038dc6.gif

Losing the battle of possession was always going to be the vase here. I decided to try and press them high as I knew they craved the ball so much and in doing so we forced turnovers and then went direct in behind (pass into space, more direct passing and higher tempo). 

Feiertag never passed up on the chances and he has hit a rich vein of from just at the right time the young man, he’s thriving playing on that shoulder. Kulenovic injury at the start of the month was a worry but he has more than filled in.

Austria Wein 0-3 (A)

8da37e979ab40594f3e089c29948c5ac.png

Feiertag continues to go from strength to strength. Providing 2 assists, 3 key passes and finding the net himself.

A real complete performance from the young man and he really is starting to repay the faith shown in him by Franz Schiemer, I said I felt I could improve him and make him into a smart investment, and he is now starting to live up to his promise.

921e8818a18e4d9388329ac12ffe5865.png

Our former bogey team like to play on the break and get in behind especially with the sheer pace of Huskovic.

I decided the best way to address this threat was to ask my back line to drop off, switch both the pivots to defensive duties and play Pfeiffer as a man marker due to his exceptional pace. 

The move was a masterstroke completely isolating Huskovic from the game as he only received five passes this helped to us into forcing our opponents play to be all in front of our defensive thus making them shoot from distance.

RB Leipzig 2-3 (H)

This time around I decided in the first half to concede the space in the opponent’s half, allowing them to put together deep combinations and drawing them into our half. It paid off as a quick move down the right was then finished by Feiertag at the far post.

c36c5e053414e7b12db9c6d556bada05.gif

Our second goal perfectly exploits the space left in behind the opponent’s defence 2-0 up and cruising at this point with Feiertag taking his tally six goals and two assists for the month.

The 60th minute and RBL made changes and in doing so moved Damsgaard central, his movement destroyed our backline and before I knew it we were 3-2 down.

There is no shame in the result we really ran them close and perhaps on another day it would be us progressing into the next round. Our ability to transition quick and get in behind a team that is great at high pressing and not allowing those key passes gives me a lot of confidence in the style of play we are starting to be defined by.

2980eab3947cc98ab7d6602d0989c575.png

Second in the league, ten points behind the Red Bull Machine and level points with 3rd place, we do have a game in hand, however. I wouldn’t rule anything out at this stage, three games to go until the spilt which brings its on conundrums but if we could win all three games, we should be in the driving seat for second place again. 

We are out of Europe but what a sublime run for a first venture onto the continental scene proper, something we can take a lot of positives from. With A OFB semi-final to look forward things a style of play that is becoming more and more refined and effective it’s safe to say things are progressing nicely in the small town in upper Austria.

Wonderful update! I love the look of the Polish striker - are you going to try and make that permanent? Any more luck in Africa too?

The game follows the same path as last year, meaning that you’ll be moving on if you choose after a cup? I can’t remember…

16 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Wonderful update! I love the look of the Polish striker - are you going to try and make that permanent? Any more luck in Africa too?

The game follows the same path as last year, meaning that you’ll be moving on if you choose after a cup? I can’t remember…

The thinking behind the polish lad is….. he never had any stats due to him not having game time. While I liked his attributes and scouting feedback I thought it was worth loaning him before going for the pre contract agreement. I’m looking at 5 strikers I have shortlisted at the minute with a view to replacing the on loan Topp.

I signed to young cm’s in the summer but loaned them out right away to try get some more game time into them. I also started to look for ones that have already made the move to Europe. I think I’ll have at least two of them tied down next year. Just waiting to hit the button on them.

yeah If I was to win the cup the next stage would be to take charge of a higher rep team in the league and try win the league. I actually don’t want to win the cup so early to be honest but the draws have been kind. As I would rather keep building something first.

RB SALZBURG are so dominant that even moving to the Vienna two would still prove a very uphill task. We have more or less taken over strum graz neighbours lask and wolfsberger with our performance but they of course are still deemed bigger clubs. An interesting one would be WSG Tirol who I assume are loaded with cash due to the owners being diamond merchants and they like to throw the cash around. 16 million they spent on one player in the summer. 

On 23/12/2022 at 15:37, SixPointer said:

The thinking behind the polish lad is….. he never had any stats due to him not having game time. While I liked his attributes and scouting feedback I thought it was worth loaning him before going for the pre contract agreement. I’m looking at 5 strikers I have shortlisted at the minute with a view to replacing the on loan Topp.

Absolutely. My kind of hierarchy for a signing is now stats for senior team -> stats for youth team -> stats last season -> offer to loan or trial. 

I also started to look for ones that have already made the move to Europe

Interesting approach - kind of opposite to me, although I’m doing it to save money. My thinking is that you’re doing it to ease the chance of poor recruitment as your have European money, therefore need to recruit more efficiently than I do?

Yeah If I was to win the cup the next stage would be to take charge of a higher rep team in the league and try win the league. I actually don’t want to win the cup so early to be honest but the draws have been kind. As I would rather keep building something first.

Don’t get too attached!

On 24/12/2022 at 22:57, _Ben_ said:

Absolutely. My kind of hierarchy for a signing is now stats for senior team -> stats for youth team -> stats last season -> offer to loan or trial. 

Interesting approach - kind of opposite to me, although I’m doing it to save money. My thinking is that you’re doing it to ease the chance of poor recruitment as your have European money, therefore need to recruit more efficiently than I do?

Don’t get too attached!

I find it hard no too get attached! This is only my second ever journeyman, last year’s challenge was the first.

On 01/01/2023 at 14:55, TheJackknife34 said:

Interesting Challenge! I am playing with First Vienna and I will follow this tread to learn more and apply to my team

welcome along! First Vienna a member of pioneers club a great choice of club.

Got some much needed game time in last two days so should have a write up done before the weekend. 

SVRied_Fans_Dostal.jpg.f8aa34c5f1795150c57cd41d0119e635.jpg

March 2024

SV Ried 5-0 SCR Altach - Austrian Bundesliga

7593e6d4f5969298f0dc35136ecec8fe.png

Convincing start to the month as we smash Altach for five. A superb hat trick from on loan Schalke 04-man Keke Topp a real highlight of a superb team display.

The game was put to bed in the first half and it’s safe to say we took our foot of the gas, with one eye on the next match against Strum Graz is made sense to lower our intensity and see out the result.

SV Ried 2-1 Strum Graz - Austrian Bundesliga

89399db27f845c57685268dfe304d4f7.png

A massive three points secured, going down to ten men almost cost us but in the end we had enough to see out the game. A penalty save from Josep Martinez proving absolutely pivotal in securing all three points in game which we were in full control of when 11 v 11.

Patrick Pfeiffer walked away with the man of the match and not for the first time this season (4), his progressive passes really were impressive and topped off with a great ball down the channel to set up Mitja Ilenic who fired home.

Originally Patrick was signed to be our central destroyer in the heart of the difference but his lethal pace and passing prowess has seen him excel on the right side of the three, in either WCB or BPD role. Naturally his performances are starting to draw the attention of some big European clubs, his 10 million euro release clause will more than likely be activated this summer so i will need to get the ball rolling on a replacement.

SV Lafnitz 0-1 SV Ried - OFB Cup Semi Final

089a71b95ede0df0852017e4c0431ee6.png

SV Lafnitz proved to be no walkovers as the team from the division below pushed us right to the very end.

This sets us up for a rerun of the 2010/11 and 2021/22 cup finals, both times RB Salzburg got the better of SV Ried. Of course, the Red Bull giants will again be favourites but its about tine we put a stop to them.

The small club from the Hartberg district have more than done themselves proud and show more promise of continuing their rise in profile, a semi-final for a team that only got out the regional divisions in 2018 is quite the achievement.

Martinez awarded the man of match tells its own story, another penalty save from the Spaniard. He had a small blip last month but looks to have overcome it yet again and now looks like a household name at the club for some time to come.

Austria Klagenfurt 1-2 SV Ried - Austrian Bundesliga

17306dc27a7b8311b9644fc17eeb8ede.png

The final game before the league spilt and we earn another vital three points to the cause.

Klagenfurt were more than prepared for us and shut of our central supply lines, forcing many of our key passes to come from the flanks. Thankfully we are also blessed with two of the most creative wing backs in the league in Ndiaye and Ilenic.

Kulenovic latched onto one of such passes and fired home, before Feiertag’s pressing late in the second half set him up for his second. I really can’t have any complaints about any of my four strikers performances this season, blessed with four players in great goalscoring form.

Championship Group

bc5d790ad87f5ccb154fa1ddbd8ddc08.png

Anyone unfamiliar with the Austrian Bundesliga might get a little bit of a surprise here (like I did first season) The league splits into two, championship group and relegation group.

The top 6 teams battle it out for the title and European slots but with a twist, the original points are halved from the regular season. This year it works massively to our advantage as it brings us within three points, yes three points of RB Salzburg.

The relegation group fight it out to avoid the drop but with another twist, the top two teams of the section still harbour hopes off European football as they also enter the playoff phase, something i think adds real incentive for the teams fighting down there.

SV Ried 3-1 RB Salzburg - Championship Group

4f53114b20e4002860c8758390918031.png

Finally, we get the better of the Red Bull machine and what a time to do so.

Salzburg dominated the first 45 and were rewarded with a penalty on the stroke of half time, Martinez couldn’t pull of his usual heroics. 

The decision to man mark the attacking quartet, press the double pivot and try force the wingbacks inside helped stagnate their play into passing around the back. Stopping next gen 2024 winner Dijon Kameri was top priority so I also opted to add an extra ball winner on the left of my midfield two.

Kerber smashed in a freekick to get us back on level terms, our overload on the right-hand side of the pitch drew the attention of our opponents but it was out wide advanced forward that was wreaking havoc and pulling into space and setting up our target forward on the other side. The third goal comes from the left again this time a sweeping cross from N’diaye is headed home again from Bialek.

9 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

Great Work challenging for the Championship!  The RB Salzburg team must be hard to knock off their perch.

They really are miles ahead of the whole pack. While we are level pecking at the minute I don’t expect it to last long!

On 04/12/2022 at 16:08, SixPointer said:

Intelligent PressingPPDA of 3.43, So our opponents make around 3 and half passes before we make our defensive action.

This is ridiculous, FM really doesn't seem to be handling that well when you compare this to real life figures. :D

An Austrian save is always interesting to me, I did some volunteer analysis for a team that currently plays in the second tier last season and I remember Ried as a very structured, well-organised team. Good luck with the challenge!

2 hours ago, Rikulec said:

This is ridiculous, FM really doesn't seem to be handling that well when you compare this to real life figures. :D

An Austrian save is always interesting to me, I did some volunteer analysis for a team that currently plays in the second tier last season and I remember Ried as a very structured, well-organised team. Good luck with the challenge!

I agree. I was really using the stat as a marker for my pressing to begin with but now I’ve ditched it. It all seems very low!

Oh wow, congratulations on that massive victory. I was reading through the latest update thinking you are going everything you can possibly do, but can you get that massive W against RB Salzburg. 

What changed the match momentum at the break, was it the goal or did you implement and specific instructions after some analysis? 

7 hours ago, MattyLewis11 said:

Oh wow, congratulations on that massive victory. I was reading through the latest update thinking you are going everything you can possibly do, but can you get that massive W against RB Salzburg. 

What changed the match momentum at the break, was it the goal or did you implement and specific instructions after some analysis? 

Been a long time coming, we have run them close a few times.

The only real change at half time was the LCM BWM (S) into a defensive duty and giving the LWB an attack duty. The plan was to lock down their RCM, our goals did come from the left so could say that played a part but it certainly wasn’t my intentions of the change so I can’t take too much credit in that sense. a defensive change was the plan and it turned into a nice attacking ploy :lol:

Supras.jpg.365d9c9787654ac31ea81f5102af0314.jpg

April 2024

Rapid Wien 0-1 SV Ried - Championship Group

c032585e893b998eb32d7a895052e73d.png

A hard-fought victory in the Austrian capital puts us top of the pile.

The hosts were reduced to 10 men in the 22nd minute but they put a valiant effort in, our goal only coming in the 88th minute after a well worked short throw.

Issouf Sissokho revelled in the advanced ball winning midfielder role, winning the ball 6 times in the opponent’s half and laying on three key passes and 9 progressive ones. The switch to this role in the system provides a little more stability to the centre and allows me to unleash the LWB.

SV Ried 7-4 Strum Graz - Championship Group

4b224a8dbef53d13fa252bd02cc3c31d.png

What a game of football!

Our clinical finishing in the end seen us come out on top of a real classic. A real cause for concern their right winger scored two goals, so going with an attacking wing back on that side isn’t always going to work. The LWB did however assist two goals so it’s all about risk and reward.

Our shift to an aggressive mid-block this year has really paid dividends, the drop from a high press has really freed up space in behind to exploit when we do when the ball in our aggressive press. as you can see from the graphic, our interceptions and tackles mostly take place in the middle third.

a7d45e8bc1241d49b18322968018bfb5.gif

Three of our goals come from attacking this space in behind the backline. The advanced forward is of course keen on this kind of movement, but the balance of the midfield two also allows the Target forward to break the lines and get in behind. Its proving to be a very fruitful partnership.

SV Ried 3-1 Austria Wien - Championship Group

7aec857b2bd6af218df9e2a84de0960b.png

Another fine attacking display and another three points to boot, 8 wins on the spin it’s safe to say we really have hit a purple patch.

Flying out the traps at our visitors from the capital seen us rush into a two-goal lead, a third before half time sealed it and we took our foot of the gas in the second half, taking into consideration our upcoming fixture against RB Salzburg.

Stefan Feiertag led the line exceptionally, latching onto a lovely pass from the RWB and then slotting home and then laying up a nice pass for the on rushing LWB to fire home showed off his complete performance. On the note of key passes the passing graphic shows how direct these passes are and how often we can penetrate behind the lines of our opposition.

RB Salzburg 1-1 SV Ried - Championship Group

deb8c0d9119cbd304558c4d1a9d9d01c.png

A point gained rather than two dropped is how I would describe this one. The powerhouse passed up many opportunities and while we dominated possession, but we lacked cutting edge something am shocked to say considering our recent spell in front of goal.

Set up with the ball winner and a support wing back to stifle play and pulling the AF wide to funnel the attacking nature of the Salzburg right side inside. Pfeiffer was placed into the centre and asked to drop off more to nullify the pace of Junior Adamu. it proved unsuccessful as the young Austria broke our lines and put the Salzburg side in front, sometimes there is nothing you can do to stop certain things.

Our goal was a great hit from the ball winner who has had a really good month and has really backed up our decision to sign him on a free at the end of the season.

8f49d931e5bde479669221af6db3670f.png

Top of the pile if only for a while, RB have a game in hand and a better goal difference. The fact we are still in the reckoning is something in itself throw in our upcoming cup final and we could well be on the cusp of a truly sensational season.

Really enjoying following this save - been meaning to comment for a while so apologies for taking so long. Love an Austrian save. 

What a game against Sturm Graz! Spectators certainly got their money's worth that day! 

Enjoy being top of the table! 

12 hours ago, BethFM said:

Really enjoying following this save - been meaning to comment for a while so apologies for taking so long. Love an Austrian save. 

What a game against Sturm Graz! Spectators certainly got their money's worth that day! 

Enjoy being top of the table! 

Thanks! Nice to see you along for the ride. 

Strum Graz game was very special. Good thing was we were always comfortable so it was also enjoyable for me haha. 

2 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Are you going to win it? What are your honest thoughts? Obviously - you’re doing everything right here just wondering if there’s a mistake in your side or RB are just too good?!

We certainly are the form team but I think RB will shade it in the end, I can’t see them dropping more points they had there blip. But I suppose you never know.

The cup final is my very next fixture which will perhaps give an incline into if RB are really faltering or are they ready to kick on!

50 minutes ago, rich ruzzian said:

Hell yeah, then i have something to do when i am on the job this evening. 

I love the faith you have in me. But my writing is the slowest part of the whole process hence why am always miles behind. 

i will try!

907092487_cupfinal.jpg.1a143524dbe70ed9f9d0e9e4cbd05a8d.jpg

May 2024

SV Ried 0-2 RB Salzburg - OFB Cup Final

6387a10ab52dcdb30b94d444fee9337c.png

The final came and went, I felt suitably prepared with a good game plan in place, but it just wasn’t to be.

We looked to frustrate RB in the same way previously, man marking the attacking quartet forcing the wing backs inside and then pressing the pivots as the trap. The only weakness I could find in their superb attacking play was their lack of cross completion compared to others, therefore I setup to drop in and deny the space in behind and then invite crosses.

In all fairness we did force their build play how we wanted to, we dominated the ball, should have scored from our chances, unfortunately we came up against a young keeper looking to take a chance and he done than making 8 saves from inside his box. Losing the first goal from a corner, and then a second not long after really hurt considering the work we had done on set plays in training in the build up to the big match and the fact we had just weathered a Salzburg storm.

Was hard not to be excited but our record against them does show what we were up against. We did however have the luck of the draw on the way to the final, facing only one Bundesliga team on route and that was Strum Graz who we love to play, so i cant have to many complaints.

What’s for you won’t go by you and it means at least one more year at SV Ried!

SV Ried 4-1 Wolfsberger AC - Championship Group

1e7f5ecb591979079c769e0efffa351a.png

Back to winning ways in the first match of our double header against Wolfsberger AC. A superb Sandro Kulenovic grab the headlines for his performance and rightly so.

Deployed in the advanced forward role this time around, his 2 goals and assists coupled with his aggressive approach having ten shots and 6 completed dribbles made him a real threat. From the pass map you can see how high his positioning is in that left half space (told to stay wide), his postioning led to his assist for the target man who arrived from deeper. His first goal a lovely, a smashed volley.

Wolfsberger AC 1-2 SV Ried - Championship Group

dea6702bac8165cb00875caa3cd1eedf.png

Another three points in the bag, another player of the match for Sandro with another goal and assist to match.

In truth it was a poor game, but it was certainly a smash and grab on our part. Taking the lead totally against the run of play from a corner is another fine of example of the fine marginal gains that can come from setting them up. Wolfsberger dominated us for large parts of the game, and they got their reward through former SV Ried man Pomer, i thought he had done us again with a late leveller.........but

7282b658f57f3c850c4701360edb6332.gif

We snatched the winner right at the death, a typical SV Ried goal under Franz Schiemer, his quest to attack the space in behind clear to see. Two passes and the advanced forward has slipped the target man clean through on goal to rescue a massive three points.

SV Ried 2-1 Rapid Wien - Championship Group

0ac1290ed54a8ebb17acce4f5cd17627.png

Left it late again! Kulenovic again!

The third game in six days meant a shuffle of the pack was required, Rapid certainly exploited the changes and really took the incentive early on. My plan to force them into the double pivots who lacked creative ability, almost cost me as my anchor man became overran as my CM's opted to join in the wider press.

A penalty missed on the stroke of half time never helped our cause but a few key changes with a couple of inform players enter the fray with slightly tired legs it wasn’t long till we were in the ascendency. Our never say die attitude of late has really impressed me as we continue to show a determination and fighting spirit something I’ve been keen to build long term.

Player of the match Kulenovic grabbed the winner after club captain Martin had levelled, it’s not been a glorious season for Martin so it was nice to see him grab a really important goal.

Strum Graz 1-5 SV Ried - Championship Group

80d3f10f138ef0c8133d1daa5e9dfb03.png

Strum Graz fans must really hate us!

Their form couldn’t have been much worse coming into it with only 1 win and 8 defeats in their last 9, this couple with our excellent record against them (7 wins and 1 draw) and it looked like the perfect recipe for us.

I would however be lying if I wasn’t slightly nervous going into this one, heavy favourites backed by the records and with a title shot on the line it would have been silly off me to get complacent, as just in real life there is always a shock or two when it comes to these games.

The impressive form of Kulenovic leads the charge and the record rolls on as we destroy them in the process. If the title is to come to the alpine foothills it’s going to be Kulenovic form in the last month that drags it there, he’s been nothing short of unplayable.

Our hosts lined up in a 442 gegenpressing which allowed us to dominate centrally, while being cautious about their overloads out wide. Their passing combinations from the last game and their shape meant that by forcing them inside and marking the forwards tightly and using the anchor to block the passing lanes this would restrict them to absolutely nothing and that was the case, up until the 50th minute when they scored, this only annoyed us, and we soon fired three goals in for good measure.

7ea991c28d9f9c0838d74242271cb285.png

RB Salzburg have matched our excellent form of late, 12 wins from 14 games with 1 draw and 1 loss both coming up against our title rivals. This means the league will go down to a last day show down. The Austrian powerhouse vs the little club from along the road.

RB Salzburg host SK Rapid Wien who themselves are no stranger to a title challenge having won a record 32 themselves. SV Ried travel to the capital to take on Rapids arch-rivals, Austrian Wien who also know a thing or two about these crunch matches having won 24 Bundesliga titles.

David Vs Goliath both in form, the scene is set its all down to this......

1 hour ago, Carambau said:

Fantastic Achievement already by now! Champions League Football in Ried :) 

I think if we finished 2nd same as last season we still need to qualify unless our coefficients have improved. Which I would like to think so.

RB we’re in the groups and then europa league. We made europa league groups as did Klagenfurt so fingers crossed we’ve had a little boost. 

Excellent ability to bounce back from the defeat in the final with some HUGE results to close out the Championship group. 

Just out of interest how much bigger is the salary at RB compared to yours? Just trying to get a feel for how much more muscle they have financially in comparison to you. 

21 hours ago, MattyLewis11 said:

Excellent ability to bounce back from the defeat in the final with some HUGE results to close out the Championship group. 

Just out of interest how much bigger is the salary at RB compared to yours? Just trying to get a feel for how much more muscle they have financially in comparison to you. 

0e2e088be7cb6338b77a92e1c9679ee5.png

Muscle you say?

almost 16 million more a year than next best, WSG Tirol owned by the Swarovski family. Rapid Wien no far behind them, before a slight drop of to Graz and then us. 20 million per year behind our title rivals is the simple answer. Austria Wien is in a mess they started with points deducted first year.

We are definitely punching above our weight, but some smart recruitment is to answer, selling Plavotic for 5 million after the first season funded the next window, backed by a decent European campaign has allowed us to live within our means, while housing players I could have only dreamed of having at this stage when I first started. End of next year we should be debt free. I’ll do a little financial part in my final 2nd season update when I reveal the title winner.

Edited by SixPointer

7 hours ago, SixPointer said:

0e2e088be7cb6338b77a92e1c9679ee5.png

Muscle you say?

almost 16 million more a year than next best, WSG Tirol owned by the Swarovski family. Rapid Wien no far behind them, before a slight drop of to Graz and then us. 20 million per year behind our title rivals is the simple answer. Austria Wien is in a mess they started with points deducted first year.

We are definitely punching above our weight, but some smart recruitment is to answer, selling Plavotic for 5 million after the first season funded the next window, backed by a decent European campaign has allowed us to live within our means, while housing players I could have only dreamed of having at this stage when I first started. End of next year we should be debt free. I’ll do a little financial part in my final 2nd season update when I reveal the title winner.

I am finding financial management will be VERY necessary especially in the early years of my new save/career update.

$20M behind the leaders is reminiscent of the French Ligue1 with PSG (I know it is magnitudes more, but the idea is the same)

You are doing really well don't get discouraged if you don't have the financial muscle.... smart recruiting can almost always overcome the money for a season!

9 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

I am finding financial management will be VERY necessary especially in the early years of my new save/career update.

$20M behind the leaders is reminiscent of the French Ligue1 with PSG (I know it is magnitudes more, but the idea is the same)

You are doing really well don't get discouraged if you don't have the financial muscle.... smart recruiting can almost always overcome the money for a season!

The smart recruitment is just another layer of immersion. Am learning to use stats. Still miles away from the likes of FMSTAG, Ben, Shrew and Matty to name a few.

3 hours ago, Carambau said:

Is Klose still the manager of Altach in your save?

Yeah mate. He’s done a decent job. Plays good stuff as well  

SV-Ried-Fans.jpg.cae453673a5b631ad3f9073bba802d7f.jpg

Second Season Summary

49a0486058539e96863ed7dbad2f8a56.png

We held up our end of the bargain by hammering Austria Wien in the capital.

As is stated in my last update, if we were going to charge to the title it would be on the back of Kulenovic. He produced a sublime performance and showing his versatility, bagging the first goal in the first half as the advanced forward and setting two goals up in the second half as the target man.

If there was ever the perfect performance to summarise our season this, was it. All four of our goals really capture how we play direct through the lines. I want to zone in on the first and fourth goals as they give great examples of our counter attacking abilty, but also our abilty to draw our opponent in before going direct.

ec4064e0dd8e590a116aa9816757c806.gif

Bacher blocks the through passes, with a one two and then a pass through the first line sees us bypass the initial counter press. The fourth pass to the wing back now has us on the front foot, at this point I highlight the positioning of the AF (no 10) throughout the move. He is now 1v1 the CB and Ilenic clips a beautiful ball into the space and Kulenovic smashes it home. 

Five passes from the turnover point and within ten seconds we have went from the edge of our eighteen-yard box to the back of the net, an explosive counterattack!

8264168707e989e0b2b4d6dd06a3ceb4.gif

This time the Wien attack breaks down as they whip a ball into the box. The RCB sweeps this up and plays to the keeper, he shifts it to the LCB who advances slightly. At this point I want you to look at both our whole teams positioning and our opponents.

All but our strikers are in our half, the Mezzala who I have highlighted moves from the pivot into attack when the ball shifts side. our opponent’s position is high, their back line is on the halfway line, with their pivots on the edge of our defensive third.

This allows Bacher to go direct into the target man, who is 1v1 with the CB he wins the duel to flick it on to the advanced forward who breaks into the space and the slots it home.

4427e6f82d0e2daf7856a0ef81bfc20c.png

Unfortunately, RB Salzburg matched our result.

f233cc118bd0c4f6ac8ef10ebb46f486.png

A tough one to take but progression nevertheless and that’s the main aim. When you consider the gulf in strength between us and RB Salzburg its nothing short of remarkable that we have run them so close, actually outscoring them which maybe points at lack of defensive awareness on my part.

Finishing second still remains only a qualifications place for the UEFA champions league, if we can take the leap and do just that it will hopefully in time close the gap. Wolfsberger AC go straight into the UEFA Europa league groups and both the Vienna clubs are into the playoff stage of the UEFA European Conference league.

209271bbb3d3a621f5fabc0480b0ff2f.png

At the other end of the table our fierce rivals LASK Linz survived by the skin of their teeth, and my newly appointed local rivals SKU Amstetten drop straight back down.

Miroslav Klose's side won the bottom half, but they couldn’t beat Austria Wien to the European spot. WSG Tirol who have massive financial backing had a poor season, I can’t help but feel they could be a project for anyone else out there who fancies starting off in Austria.

Awards Ceremony

f703f118868ac042e2f8f6e7f5df04aa.png

Kulenovic gets recognised for what was a phenomenal first season in Austrian football. 18 league goals and 8 assists from 25 appearances. At 1 million euros total transfer fee he looks like a real find, the big powerful Croat has thrived in both front two roles showing he’s equally as good at getting in behind as he is being the focal point to build off.

Keke Topp hit 14 league goal in 25 appearances, 4 assists for the young German giant who enjoyed a very productive loan spell from Schalke 04. He was a star for their reserve side, but he has took to senior football like a duck to water, he will be a real miss next season unless we can secure him for another year.

ee2026d3c4aae32d987a730af229e1a8.png

Four players named in the team of the year and all four were arrivals in the summer, so nice to see the recruitment process working.

Pfeiffer a free transfer has been a stalwart at the back for us, as the season progressed, he found himself on the right of the back three as he was capable at supporting the wing back with his great pace. There was some interest in the Ghanaian international, but he broke his ankle in the 5-1 win against Strum Graz, which may prove a blessing in disguise as it may put off potential suitors.

N'Diaye arrived from Senegal in the summer, bought in the first season but loaned back to his club. He hit 11 assists in all competitions 8 coming in the league. He doesn’t take any set plays so his numbers aren’t skewed, for the first season in European football never mind Austria that’s a superb return from the young man, he was rewarded with two international caps.

Ilenic who finds himself ranked at number 3 in the 50 best wonderkids in world football, the young Slovenia international cost 600k in the summer and looks a marvellous investment. 17 assists for the season however he does take corners which is one of our strong points, I would have to do some serious digging to find his actual open play assists as I dint think SI have included that in the stat pack.

Kulenovic well we have covered him enough in recent times due to his sublime form.

23c4863d171ae781abccbfb483a488c0.png

Perhaps my favourite award, I had my reservations after his first 5 or 6 games after he joined but he settled in and went from strength to strength. The reason am so happy is the effort I put in for my in-depth research of him and the comparison I done with him and the other target Popovic shows that it really is worth taking the time on every signing.

Tactical System

0ebe2560eb024d4bc66714ec09275c96.png

Off the three shapes the 5-3-2 was used almost exclusively, especially after the European campaign was completed.

The changed to a mid-block really gave us the space in behind that allowed us to become so potent in front of goal in the second half of the season.

I seemed to find the perfect blend of being comfortable in possession and drawing our opponent in but being direct when the space is worked.

Out of possession our counter press does enough to initiate turnovers high and if we can’t dropping to the aggressive midblock does provide protection and makes us hard to break down. I feel high pressing was just ruining our shape and needless.

483df9a960a93345a9a7199ef9ba4e49.png

The polygons out line our performance in the league. The contrast is clear our attacking play is far superior, but our defensive play is only above average.

Defensively is certainly something I need to work on, although I don’t mind the philosophy of outscoring the opponent, but clean sheets certainly win titles.

I don’t think it’s a serious tactical flaw, I think when you compare the quality in depth, I had in my forwards to what I have in defence its clear to see there is a gulf in class.

7c6bb1c3d1a5b558befec2a955dcdab8.png

Averaging 55% of possession and completing 15874 passes ranking us 4th and 5th in the league respectively, while a don’t value possession in my style of play it is good to see our dominance. The fact that we rank 4th for final third passes for is disappointing, considering my main weapon is the space in behind.

Out of possession our mid-block seems to be well balanced, ranking 6th for possession won, 4th for OPPDA (although i think the stat is inaccurate in the game) shows that we are intense in our press when we do engage it, only RB rank better than us for final third passes against, as do they beat us for goals conceded and by quite a margin.

I think it’s safe to say out of possession we are aggressive enough and we don’t dominate the ball too much to skew our winning possession numbers. I think the balance here is very good, especially considering I transitioned from a high press to a mid-block am keen to see a full year with the mid-block.

1645d19b9d1a338439f92ce14b477c10.png

I have a cheek complaining about final third passes for, outscoring RB Salzburg is incredible, especially when you consider how many more chances they create. Our over performance in front of goal is sensational, real testament to our strike force.

In all competitions Kulenovic hit 26 in 27 starts, Feiertag hit 23 in 24 starts, Topp got 19 in 28 starts Bialek finished up with 8 from 10 starts.

Crossing was undoubtedly a crucial part of our attacking play, completing 63 more crosses than next best and completing 25% of all attempted again a league best. With all four of my strikers at least 6 foot tall with three being suited to a target man roll it’s easy to see why we complete so many crosses and why we sit top of headers won ratio.

d64e9c5685680123084318e355438e8a.png

The strikers can’t take all the credit the wing backs quality was huge factor, both turning into superb creative outlets.

Top three for open play crosses completed, the LWB's became not only our most progressive passer but the league’s best and third best per 90. N'Diaye showed a real creative edge especially from open play with 2.35 open play key passes. while Ilenic topped him in assists 12 to his 8 but his corners where a big factor as he only produced 1.84 open play key passes.

Ilenic was our most creative player overall when you consider the strength off our set plays it’s easy to see why.

11 goals from corners, nearly double next best, four goal from indirect freekick a league best and three direct freekicks something that Luca Kerber can take credit for. At the other end of the pitch, we only conceded two goals from corners which is immensely pleasing. I take great pride and take care in setting all my set plays up so it’s nice to see it rewarded.

Young Guns

2ae5982d98e53bf55cd939fef8fed29e.png

The youth team wins the league, always a promising sign!

Filled with players from a strong first intake and poor second intake, led by top goalscorer Sokol Dauti. After the second intake we managed to improve our recruitment, while it was poor second intake the squad is filled with a few real potential first teamers of the future.

Xhevdet Mulaj - was the most exciting player from the first intake, has made a handful of first team appearances already. He is touted as centre back but with his trait I gave him game time in the midfield. A very intelligent player for his young age with a fantastic physicality already at his age. His technical aren’t far off either, hopefully another year at under 18's and some more growth he will soon be ready for more first team action.

Nico Deiters - The promising striker was the best of a bad bunch in the second batch of youngsters. He looks a real prospect; he has a great personality and already a standout with some important attributes. A real finisher, finishing 16, composure 10, and technique 15 should see him fin the net at ease. His movement, Off the ball 12 pace 12 and acceleration 13 should see him find space well.

Summary

No second season syndrome for Franz Schiemer and co, it was however a season of what ifs?

Second in the league, runner up in the cup. The did enjoy a reasonably successful first foray into European football proper, all this while growing closer to a style of play expected from the manager. Recruitment in the summer has proved extremely fruitful another one will be required this summer, with potential to supplement the top team with the youth league winning side. Three players already signed on pre contracts for next year but ill cover that in my upcoming summer update.

Thanks for reading and taking part it really makes the game even more enjoyable when engaging with others.

2 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Immense outcome given the levels between the teams. Also loved your write up, as always. What does the summer bring?

Last summers recruitment was more or less perfect. Even the utility level signings came in and done a job. The likes of bacher and orginenec who came on free’s to beef the squad up done good jobs.

I have a raft of on loan players coming back that I need to decide plans on, I’ve also got to become a little ruthless and trim so of the squad players who aren’t good enough to close that gap. My budget isn’t very much so I’m going to have to slash a few bodies that I was hoping would prosper.

i have three free transfers that have been done for some time. A ball winner (was on loan at us) a creative runner and a pacey number 10. So am stacked a little heavy in the middle.

i think it’s going to be a long summer as like last I need to be sure I’m bringing absolute quality, I can’t afford passengers and i few of my younger players are going to learn that the hard way.