[FM23] Age of Empires

_Ben_

January 2034

image.png.1e719cceafa1292297ffa5a0bcdb0f17.png

The first few months of the season are taken up by a league cup, where the league is randomly split in half before one round and then some knockout football. Our draw was made and there are three standout fixtures:

• River Plate (H)
  • Boca (A)
  • Velez (H)

The league winners in Velez and both of the big guns are in our group. However, on that note, both promoted sides - San Lorenzo and Independiente Rivadavia - are also there along with teams predicted 23rd, 18th, 16th and 14th. I am almost certain that this side of the draw is the hardest but that is great! The board just want us to be competitive so I feel that it's a great opportunity to get some extra fitness into the legs, try out a few new shapes and styles and test ourselves against the best teams, given that the board have now upgraded their demands to want us to finish within the Top 6 this season.

I roughly set out a training plan for the month in order to get some fitness and tactical familiarity, before the cup kicks off. I also scheduled three friendly cup competitions and a (soon to be rearranged) tie against Uruguayans, Nacional.

image.png.6b7f79cb37c508cbb80f9de820e8c076.png image.png.6d27a1345fd2e76632d1f06ab3c678e6.png

Full match reviews can be found by clicking on each thumbnail, above.

Second tier, and, annoyingly, managerless Agropecuario Argentino side. They set out with a 5-3-2, a shape that, Juventus aside, I'm largely unfamiliar with facing. I made a slight change to the midfield pair - normally a BBM(s)-CM(s) combo - changing them to a CM(s)-Mez(s) combo, with the aim of getting into the space between the crowded DM and DC zone. Vega, playing as the Mez(s) did that well, causing quite a lot of problems. I feel that this change moves the midfield from a diamond to more of a square and possibly opens up some more attacking options. I delved into those in the second half, once the game was effectively won, using a IF(a)-F9(s)-IW(a) combo instead of the usual advanced forward, with the aim of creating space against three defenders, or, potentially, two defenders and a DM in future, allowing the wide men to aggressively attack the half spaces. I felt that Azulay exploited that brilliantly for his goal. I was even able to change the false-full-back from left to right in the later stages as I continued to experiment. As first friendlies go, it was great.

The 'final' of the prestigious Pre-Season Cup (I felt my naming of them got worse as I went on) was against Argentinos Juniors, managed by Emmanuel Villegas - a man who likes to control the possession in a 4-3-3 shape. My Atalanta side didn't always have it our own way against this shape and style. Their contribution report, as it's pre-season, doesn't show anything really but the idea of the double Mezzala and the move to a more square box for me means I think I can go 4v3 in the central areas. Looking at their squad - as the bulk scouting has paid off - shows me where their better players sat, too. Straight off, their aggressive midfield allowed spaces but when they learnt and stepped off, allowed easier ball retention enabled us to recycle the ball from one flank to another. I've been really impressed at the little tactical tweak to the midfield two and the Mez(s) and IF(s) overload looked dangerous again. However, it was new signing and PoTM Matteo Gallo who really stole the show from wide left. When he was replaced, I tried youngster Zuchelli as a T(a) in the AML position and quite liked how that provided a lateral link to the box rather than than always having three vertical options. Whilst I want to be vertical, it does give me another opportunity to pull defenders out. Overall, I was very surprised at the lack of offering from our opponents as they rolled over a lot easier than I was expecting.

Two games. Six goals. One Pre-Season Cup lifted. Happy with the start but still need to do some tactical thinking.

image.png.ea1edb8c944cd1b73f598098f7bc45a1.png image.png.68d935005c293942d55e2e00546ea7eb.png

Whenever I go full @danielgear and create these cups, I like to have a variety of opposition - ideally bigger/similar in stature, smaller and very small. This gives a nice mixture of games and allows me to decide where to experiment and what areas to give minutes to the kids in. Both of my semi-finals, to date, have been against the 'smaller' team so there was some elements of experimentation in this one, mainly with a mirror image to invert on the left. I was also going through some traits before this game and was watching our build up play; deally, I want to use two traits - Stops Play and Tries Long Range Passes - to help our transition. I know that this will, potentially, cause an issue with which player plays in which spot but this image feels like a good example. Here, as we are building down the left, I'd like the RCB (Silva) to stop play in order to bait a press with the LCB (Peirano) looking to play the ball long to either evade it or go through it, once the man in front of him has had enough time to move forward. In this image, the pass went forward to Colman - the CM(s) but, at this point, he'd been hounded by the ST, AM and both DMs and, facing his own goal, didn't have the ability to evade that press as we settled to recycle the ball. Overall, the game was a little disappointing - far less clinical than we'd been before but also offering far more in terms of pressing ability.

Banfield's scout report told me one of a team that is well oiled and decent and they are fresh from a 7-1 win against the 'very small' team in the semi final. In Traverso, they have a 6'5" striker and play 'Wing Play' with two wingers. Therefore, my tactical adjustment was to double up on their wide men and push them inside, trying to stop any crosses. I like how Villa repeatedly pulls off a defender and finds space, in classical #9 fashion but our best move started like this and then looked like this as we went another goal ahead, evading their press and playing a lovely bit of end to end football. Our first concessions of the pre-season: a 0.04xG strike from twenty yards that squirmed under Brondi - 2.5* Handling may be an issue for me to watch here and the second came from a goal kick that Rossi - Heading: 2.5*,Jumping: 3* and Bravery: 4* at  6'2" tall - lost out to 5'7" Céspedes, which may also be something to watch as he, and many others, had already become complacent at 3-0 and then 4-0 up. 

Two more games. Another cup. Some more thinking, this time longer term. I'm also getting closer to identifying the shopping list too strengthen us...

image.thumb.png.7b9c5ac5afa6492fc83d0a38da2e18a3.png

A total of twenty-one recruitment foci have been set up for the club, which is pretty hard work for the small team we've got. However, I'm trying to use this period of time as a 'shortlist creator' before really focusing on the specifics on what I want. The motives are clear - trying to sign as many Argentine nationals as possible - like I did with South Americans at Atalanta and Africans at Trabzonspor and Genclerbirligi. There are players I need right now but will explore different avenues to find them: likely to be asking the DoF for his ideas but this strategy is longer term to allow me to identify players who I can then look at statistically and decide to try and sign, or not. I will be using a @SixPointer recommendation of, at least, a five man shortlist per position and be handing over the transfer and contract negotiations to the DoF by using the Transfer Target button.

image.png.b48363eae1c96d04fda1ac684afe6bae.png image.png.f1ed6d02ea758a8ce20c1b9b7876465e.png

For the first time, we got the 'similar stature team' as the semi final, so I chose a strong line up with minimal exploration. We seem to have a penchant for playing very well against teams from our league this pre-season and were only troubled once - their goal - when right back Sosa was caught out of position from a switch of play. I even found some time to explore using Villa out wide with Azulay as a marauding Mezzala, interweaving with a False Nine - in this case, Matteo Gallo. It wasn't quite right but there are things to take from it, certainly.

Against Uruguayan side Boston River, I asked Zuchelli to play as a T(a) not an AF(a) and the outcome was very interesting; there is definitely scope to get more from the wider attackers there - maybe using both as IF(a) or, alternatively using an even more risk-averse forward role like a DLP(s) to create space and then attack it. A missed penalty but over 3.00xG and at a pretty decent xG/shot ratio too if pleasing, even though we didn't put any more chances away.

Two more games. Another cup. Still feeling pretty good!

image.png.29818e1af04f919f7274efd38ae4ed92.png

A full match review can be found by clicking on the thumbnail, above.

After Nacional cancelled on me, I drafted in Penarol and went for a league match squad, with no rotation and no trying to find fitness - this was all about the performance and seeing how 'ready' we were. I think we are not far off and, in seven games, have really taken to the style that I want. I'm still getting to grips with just looking at how we play and, as such, have not really dug into focussing on how other teams play against us and how to best exploit those things. Now we have those foundational aspects - build up with a three, play through the press directly and aggressively, get in behind and cause chaos in their defence, I can now build on the nuances: what if they have a DM? What if we can't play past their press? What if they play a flat 442 shape?

I'm starting to feel a little pressure from within the club from a few players, as seen here:

image.png.acdd38322cbcf8cef7cd36b70d388448.png

I can deal with the 'wants to move to Europe' fine because, at the end of the day, we are a league that does provide that opportunity. However, I'm so early into my tenure here that I don't have a Plan B and even a Plan C for these areas, meaning offers have to be rejected unless they are literally too good to turn down. However, there is a bigger issue with Lautaro Vives, the man I'd earmarked to be the backup left back. As a 'Temperamental' character, I wanted to test the water by having a little, polite, word about his training rating, which sat below 6.00. He hated this idea. I then decided that he no longer warranted the 'Regular Starter' tag, dropping him down to a squad player based on the minutes he's had this pre-season: a risky move but one that I needed to do to sort out the long term future of the squad. He hated this idea. What is more, he clubbed together with another two squad members - Valdez being an important member of my team - to complain. I can, within reason, afford to freeze out a couple of players to show that I mean business but I cannot have Team Leader led revolts, which is why I do feel it's quite fortunate that Alex Caicedo - the club captain - accepted the promise to be sold if an offer comes in or $5m, way above his asking price. This little bit of trust building has kept him on my side for Vives-gate.

I'm working hard, speaking with the players individual to build or rebuild relationships but, for some, such as Mr. Vives, it just isn't working. A $1.4m deal from a couple of MLS clubs has been accepted. I've been quizzed to why I've accepted outside the transfer window but he's a player I'd rather not have to put up with!

It's been another thoroughly enjoyable month here in Buenos Aires! February brings the time where it all gets real...

image.png.dfe6017c3994e5fc60145ccb62549a61.png

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, SixPointer said:

I think it’s even harder in the sense you’ve dropped down a level so players you had your eye on in Europe might not fancy a spell in Argentina. Whereas I could carry a few of my ideas from standard over.

Yeah - the overarching feel is that I've not prepared myself for this move, really. I like to get bedded in before making moves but have been taken aback by the amount of European interest in my players, which, as you'd expect, is unsettling. The transfer window does not re-open until July so I've got to make do!

11 hours ago, lfds89 said:

"Temperamental" personality is a straight no for me. They are the worst to deal with.

Yep. Got lots of players with 'Outspoken,' 'Volatile' and 'Confrontational' media handling so just - carefully - negotiating my way around how interaction with them works!

11 hours ago, lfds89 said:

21 foci? How many scouts do you have?

Seven scouts. It's somewhat reactionary, though, based on feeling like we're a little underprepared. There has been 265 scout reports produced in the last thirty days, which feels good but I don't quite know!

February 2034

image.png.3509815a1c3a1fcc58ed5bf907e69a27.pngimage.png.652559ff303c5f4d500a2c2d7be08230.pngimage.png.35c4b4fcc0707da4a3000b7a79e36888.png image.png.57cf8a1767345bd7f19a8788859afabf.png

Overall - a good pre-season and, with my preferred XI named, we're not far from building that complete confidence in my tactical style. With the League Cup feeling like it could be a 'precursor' to the actual league, I think we're in a good position here. My focus, now we have this understanding in our way is to try and stop the other team from playing. Sometimes this can be a little pragmatic and it takes away the focus from us doing things, maybe stemming from a lot of Italian football as a youth (me, not my manager alias) but I like it and feel that it helps me on a match by match basis.

image.png.620af5a27a81b54a1c184723aae2261c.png

First up was a Copa Argentina match - a competition that I really want us to do well in considering that we're not in continental competition this year. I wanted to be thorough and do my homework so, firstly, looked at manager Eloy Pereira. They'd only played friendly, a 1-0 defeat to Defensor Sporting, in quite a remarkable performance. To have that much of the ball is quite insane given the manager's playing style so there was an element of taking it with a pinch of salt. However, their vertical tiki-taka style 'must' originate from somewhere; in this case it was passes between LCB and RCB (23 combinations) and RCB and DMRC (21 combinations). Neither centre back, despite being on the ball a lot played anything dangerous or expansive but their number six was far more progressive. The intention, therefore, was to allow the centre backs to have the ball as much as they wanted - never pressing them but blocking off their passing options, both of the DMs, to force them to go long and against their nature. I asked Villa - our striker - to pull back and mark the DMRC slot when we're out of possession, further enforcing the 'leave the centre backs alone' instruction! From the off, our line of engagement seemed good and our first goal came from the turnover after our pressing focus left their right centre back no 'easy' ball, forcing him to go long. We turned it over, and created that 'chaos' that I want, before Villa tapped in from close range. I even went a little further - forcing both full backs onto their 'inside foot' hoping that the change in body shape from my players when pressing would force the ball back to their centre backs.  We nearly doubled our lead from another turnover after evidence of the actual pressing, limiting space and options for the two 'creators' in the DM roles before a late third sealed the deal. A tactical victory for me - Los Andes completed 742 passess, but, of that, 266 were by their two centre backs - totalling 36% of the entire amount - yet only twenty-five were outside of their own half. The pressing on their DMs was also evident, as they lost possession thirty-three times, in really quite dangerous areas for them. The perfect competitive start for me and Independiente.

Same kind of thing against San Lorenzo - their 4-3-3 with Tika-Taka style and more pressing produced a good result for them in their most recent friendly, where they had 80% of the ball but so much of it in their defensive area. I believe that their key man will be number 8 - Walter Galeano - if they continued with the same passing lanes as they used in that friendly. Again, I used the never press option on the centre backs and showing the full backs inside as well as tight marking their central midfielders - pushing the poor-passing defenders to go long to Galeano, who I wanted to force onto his left, where he'd be less creative and then tackle him hard as he's not brave or particularly quick off the mark. Even from the keeper, we cleverly played through their press and got the ball forward nice and quickly. A penalty and a lovely curling effort from Otero sealed the win for us.

A different dynamic against Rosario: a 4-4-2 shape with balanced pressing and direct, wing play. They drew their opener against Newell's but there are some things to take from it. My first thoughts were that they build the play down the left and get their right sided players into the box - justified with their highest combination, DL-ML (24 combinations). I also noted that there was a bigger gap between their lines on our left hand side. The game itself was another really good showing - with us allowing the passes between centre back and left back but essentially then shutting off the supply to get the ball to the left wing. Their first goal came from some head tennis that we failed to clear but their second was from a mistake by Peirano where his pass - to Colman, the MC - was underhit (Passing - 3*, Technique - 3.5*, Vision - 2.5*) and cut out. I wonder whether to use him as a CD(d) rather than a BPD(d), in order to mitigate that and ask him to get the ball to the better ball player, Rossi, or, at least, draw their two strikers in to create an easier route to Colman. Four more goals though and still 100% through all games - competitive and friendlies - at Independiente.

A familiar foe, as we've already beaten them, albeit in pre-season, meant I was able to build on what I knew of their control possession 4-3-3 style. I feel that the fixtures are possible cyclical as their previous opponent was also Newell's Old Boys: they lost this one 3-2. They had the bulk of the ball and built up from the back but looked really weak in the half spaces, as all three goals came via those channels - their quite aggressive pressing in the midfield made it easier to overload their wider areas. To combat this, I went somewhat experimental - Mez(s) and Mez(a) in the centre of the park - knowing that the 'bottom of the box' would still be sturdy enough to stop this becoming an issue on turnovers, with Guido Otero - after a great start to the season - operating as a T(a) on the left wing, hoping to build those overloads. Once again, the pressing idea (or lack of it) saw our opponents complete 948 passes - 710 of them (74.9%) backwards or sideways with their back four completing 501 of them.

We sit atop our group and on fire at the moment.

But...March sees us play both of the big guns. I'll do my homework and see where that takes us!

image.png.47b0d5089e84414b5c8d036218a2915b.png

4 hours ago, _RocknRolla_ said:

Is it just me, but i cant load all pictures from Ben directly? I just see see link. I try several browsers on deskop and mobile as well.

26 minutes ago, keeper#1 said:

Having a similar issue.

9 minutes ago, Reiver said:

they open up here.

Which ones, in particular? Some - mainly the results - are cropped using Photopea but, in my update above, the tactical familiarity is copy and pasted from PowerPoint. Other times I just copy straight from Gyazo, like below. Can you see that image?

473b24bb5fd4f3e1c074b2ae16ac46e8.png

This is what I see, some load and other do not, some you can click on and they will load and others will not, I have not managed to find out why. To be honest this has been going on since half way through your time at Atalanta, I thought it was just me so did'nt say anything...

Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 18.21.16.png

Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 18.22.48.png

image.thumb.png.01d63f6dcd37c077b71f9629db7414bb.png

That is what I see. The strange thing is that until the Argentina change, everything was displayed perfectly. I've tried all the browsers and the same problem everywhere. On the desktop, ipad or mobile phone.

I could see the last picture.

13 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Which ones, in particular? Some - mainly the results - are cropped using Photopea but, in my update above, the tactical familiarity is copy and pasted from PowerPoint. Other times I just copy straight from Gyazo, like below. Can you see that image?

473b24bb5fd4f3e1c074b2ae16ac46e8.png

It seems to me that anything using Gyazo (like above) works for me, everything else not

Edited by mtheslop

@mtheslop @Vakama2619 @Number seven @_RocknRolla_ @Reiver @keeper#1

Thanks for the feedback in regards to the images. It's really odd as they are images that are 'attached' to the post through this site. However, I do often have a couple of tabs open as I write my updates as I'm going along and, for example in this post, have had to remove some images that are attached. Maybe it is those, then, that aren't being re-attached to my main updates. I'll collate any images (not hyperlinks as those seem to work) at the end of each month for my next update and see if that makes any difference!

Been catching up with your save @_Ben_
A great time to leave Atalanta, despite not making the final of the CL, it was a great tenure and that probably would have been too early a success anyway. 
The move to Argentina feels like the right one and the club in its current situation feels like a great landing spot for you to lay the foundations of what you’re planning to do regarding development, 
I wonder how flexible you will be in regards to tactic/formation if one or two stars emerge but they don’t suit your current style, will you adapt to fit them or will they have to adapt to fit you.

Nice to see my preseason post rubbed off on someone :D

1 hour ago, danielgear said:

Been catching up with your save @_Ben_
A great time to leave Atalanta, despite not making the final of the CL, it was a great tenure and that probably would have been too early a success anyway. 
The move to Argentina feels like the right one and the club in its current situation feels like a great landing spot for you to lay the foundations of what you’re planning to do regarding development, 

Thanks, Dan!

I really loved Atalanta and my draw to Serie A has nearly reached what it was all those years ago as a child, sat in front of Channel 4. I follow various Italian Twitter  X handles linked to the lower leagues of Italian football now and I think that it was important for me, as a football fan, to do that. However, as an FM fan - moving to Argentina is perfect. I love youth development and with my new found love of tactical thoughts, there's a perfect marriage here. 

I wonder how flexible you will be in regards to tactic/formation if one or two stars emerge but they don’t suit your current style, will you adapt to fit them or will they have to adapt to fit you.

Yeah - this is an interesting thought. I do have a 'style' and I do desire quick, relatively physical players who can play on the counter but, even with that underlying DNA, there are still spaces for an old school #10 or a bully of a DM. If I was to get a 6'6" Target Forward, for example, then I'd need to think about my lack of outside wingers delivering crosses to him but I think there's enough fluidity within my style (not necessarily formation) to fit in most players. I might even train the Target Forward as the deeper full back because...why not!

The idea is - once I've got recruitment targets set up any fully understand the club depth as a whole entity - to have pretty much a conveyor belt of talent that means there may need to be changes in style if, for example, right wing target number 3 (as my own player, target 1 and target 2 have now come and gone) was really hard working and good in the tackle (and I hadn't already decided he was more useful somewhere else) - I may decide to up the pressing on whatever wing he plays on and use him to press the centre backs, using a deeper forward to sit in the gap he'd created. There'll be elements that are purely oppositional but these things will have to be thought about. This save will take me until FM24 - even if I continue my hot start and win the Libertadores pretty quickly - because of the constant evolution within the team.

Nice to see my preseason post rubbed off on someone :D

I just need to brush up enough on my Spanish for some fun names for them now! They do help in terms of fitness, definitely but, unlike in Italy, I now have a fully-fledged Reserve league which has helped those who didn't quite get what they needed across those friendlies.

March 2034

image.png.b3d7545a9dcea36ba268482cd2fca334.png image.png.88bec948e253ed344b0afcddd8cbdba7.png image.png.b80d7ffe50c8be9d6abc0e1def541af3.png image.png.11933314f2a15640e21c9fbc53e6f22f.png

Full game reviews can be seen by clicking the thumbnails, above. Hopefully you are able to see the thumbnails and any further images in this post!

---

Joaquin Luna, the River (look at the quality of their squad compared to mine!) boss for the past five years with a near 60% win ratio, is a Tika-Taka fan and plays a 4-3-3 with quite a lot of pressing. They beat NoB in their last match, 2-0, and so much of their play involved centre back Maidana and playmaker Guzman. The former had a load of the ball but, like I've seen a lot of his, so many of his passes were short - with him misplacing two of the total five long forward passes he attempted. Guzman - their quarterback, however, was far more progressive and his passes often were aimed at their wingers but, being honest, neither really had an impact: Sayogo (AML - 2.17 dribbles/90, 0% cross completion, 1.08 shots/90) and Gonzalez (AMR - 3.40 dribbles/90, 0% cross completion, 2.55 shots/90) are not typical wingers anyway. I'm trying to think of this in logical ways and I know that - away from FM for a minute - when people are tasked with too many cues or given too many instructions, things fall apart much easier. Therefore, I want to create three jobs that we do, per game, maximum, to attempt to nullify the opposition. I'm more likely to be able to track them across the season and also not be completely re-changing tactics from game to game. I decided on two:

• Force Maidana - CB - to play long. Don't press him but press all of his passing lanes, starting with the DM role and then, through observation, the midfield duo. Use the striker to man mark the DC
  • Force both wingers wide and to cross the ball.

Of course - River played none of the players I'd identified, showing how this process can be risky but also how much depth they have and how that compares to our XI, in which 81% of the team have played more than 75% of the minutes available. We reached half time and I feel like I can say we played with confidence moving the ball around at the back and then forward aggressively but also holding our shapes and hitting our pressing traps. A lot of their play was still coming through their full backs, with the centre backs choosing to target them so I made the risky move to get my wingers to mark their full backs and be in charge of the 1v1 press. It meant that we lost the numerical advantage in the middle of the park and relied on the striker to drop back more. That role, itself, changed as Correa was just not involved so I brought Zuchelli, an 18 year old, in to play as a DLF(s). Our press was so evident in River's build, here you can see no pressure on the DC, who immediately looks to the left back, he's then forced inside as we apply pressure and it then goes back to the other DC who has no progressive options and is left with a 'hoof.'  Sometimes I can't take any credit for tactical things - like Otero's vision that led to a beautifully lofted ball that Caicedo drilled into the net. Our second was another freak - centre back Ezequiel Rossi stood over a free kick from twenty yards out, obviously because I'd subbed all my others off, and curled it - deftly - into the top corner. I could sense the anger at this and almost felt like not defending against River's aggressive build up but a few defensive subs and a couple of role changes saw out a remarkable win for us. Our opponents, 'the' River Plate, not even registering a shot on target. Their wingers completed just one cross, had one shot and completed just three dribbles of not whilst their centre back - Profeta - the replacement ball player, did not make a pass into our final third.

---

In Independiente Rivadavia, we faced a team who hadn't just played Newells - instead, they came off the back of a draw with Boca and a heavy loss to Velez. Dell'ovo plays with a Catenaccio style (which, despite playing in Italy, I don't feel like I've ever faced before) but presses more often in his 4-3-3 shape. The Velez game saw them amass some 78% of the ball so I felt that the Boca game was a more accurate representation of what I'd be up against. Their build up is slightly different to most other teams - playing out directly to the wide men rather than building up through the two centre backs. With our team hopefully stronger, I decided to use just one specific plan:

• Reduce pressing on full backs but cut off their options. Against Boca, lots of their full back passes went backwards and their centre backs lost possession. If I can stop the balls into the midfield, I can force this to happen again, especially as their goalkeeper had >40% pass completion, too.

Whilst it looks like our attacking shape was great, we actually faced more problems than normal against a team with a low block. When you compare the two games this month - 67% of the ball compared to 39% vs River, as well as the individual passing number increases: Peirano (LCB) - 126% of the passes compared to River, Martinez (RB) - 113%, Rambert (LB) - 114%, Traverso (GK) - 241% and Avilla (DM) - 121% compared to Traverso against River, you can see where our extra position came from and, as such, our penetration fell away. Whilst we dealt with their threat - just 28 progressive passes - the lack of pressure on their defenders allowed a lot more successful long passes than I've seen before - with a particular pattern of them moving out to the left winger or the striker. I'm happy with the win, obviously, but feel that it's raised some more questions for me to answer.

---

image.png.f8b376199d62ed5736d6c3f9abcccd00.png image.png.b1a9bb16761c9b2ae53d131c7a754b3c.png

With three months under my belt now that means I can have my first checks on the progress of the individual foci. With the ability to label the polygons, I can create an average of the three attributes and track the growth. This is not realistic but does scratch an itch in which I want to know the rate of development for my kids. Above - Morelli and Arrieta - have both increased their average for their chosen focus, GK Technical and Final Third, by 0.66 - the equivalent of two attribute points. 42% of players on these bespoke plans have already shown improvement in at least one of the three areas that their focus works on. I have no idea whether that is a) good or b) repeatable but I can see that there is certainly a skew, as expected, with those who are being asked to do more: learn a new position or add a trait. 

The plan will be to reward these players who are training and developing well whilst keeping an eye on those who aren't, given that they are going to be vital for incoming funds as we progress this project.

---

I found Gerardo Vitale's Tucuman side interesting - virtually no care for possession: 37% against Velez (yet a 4-2 win), 29% against Newell's Old Boys and 34% against Santa Fe. On Santa Fe's basically square pitch, their line of engagement was so low that I knew I'd have a similar task as I did against Rivadavia. They seemed relatively direct when watching them but the analysis said only twelve of their three hundred-odd completed passes were 'long' with but nearly half of their total going forwards. It seemed that their left sided centre midMaxi Acosta, was their key man in the build up. My plans were:

• Really high defensive line with a SK(a) behind. If Tucuman won't engage in the press, I'll move the play up so that they have to. I went into this one a bit blind with the idea that this would work. An easy test in comparative passing numbers.
  • Trigger press Acosta. His Off the Ball is poor so he's not going to be finding spaces in that midfield area.

From the eye test, our play started much higher up as our defensive line meant that turnovers were made higher up the pitch. However, it didn't feel quite as comfortable and, overall, the game was completely even - we just took our chances and they didn't. I felt that Tucuman were forced to play shorter - statistically only 25 of their four hundred passes were 'long and we did stop them progressing the ball as much, too. Acosta's impact was limited to less than fifty passes with only nine of those going forwards but it was there wingers - Mendez and Buchel who revelled in the space that they now had. In terms of my own play, I opted for Brondi in goal but his poor choice of distribution - with lots of long passes that were incomplete - will make me reconsider, again.

---

Gaston Brugman, Boca's manager, employs a pretty standard 4-4-2 but the giants have now lost four in a row and are either going be down and out or hungry to change that. I looked at their last couple of games and they have a clear aversion to a central build up but do like high wing backs and a split front two. Looking at the pass combination comparisons, Velez did not try and take advantage of Boca's passing (153 central passes completed to 176 passes completed down either flank) but did record five key passes from central areas, just around zone 14 with the ball going into the box, diagonally. I think that, for me, it's important to get players between their lines; their interceptions, tackles and fouls were committed much higher up the pitch than Tucuman's, so I'm hoping that I don't need to rely on pushing the defence up too far, given the slight wobbles I think it caused. Bryan Sanchez appeared to be their playmaker, out wide on the right, with his outputs quite progressive. Of course - Boca pulled a River and named a very different XI to what I'd analysed. Plans for this one:

• Win the transition battle against Gonzalo Guerra. He doesn't pass long, so I will press and tight mark his easier targets and force him to do so.
  • Double up on Basabe - asking both mids to mark him and push the DM up to mark their other centre mid. Risky but hoping that I can cut off the supply chain whilst I have the extra man there.
  • Opt for a CM(a) instead of a Mez(s) to get between the lines and deliver balls to the half spaces, where they were weak against Velez.

The last question of the interview seems like a perfect start here: 'disappointed but not disheartened.' I knew that our winning streak wouldn't last forever and this was a fairly even game. I reacted far too late to their build up - their focus down their left put pressure on Martinez, who isn't the strongest defensively, if I'm honest. Rocha, the makeshift left back, is untested this season as he begins to develop into that role but we looked far more dangerous and far more defensively solid after that change was made. A soft penalty made the game, and the xG story, feel a lot more one-sided than it probably should have been. Both wingers rated 6.30 and completed one dribble between them - it is clear that we weren't able to counter as we normally would but, fortunately, both players understood my conversation and implied that they'd do better next time!

---

b8e136174b8d351a750d2142784280fa.png

Those in red are my perceived strongest XI, purple are backup players and those in Italics are players that can cover/play in more than one area.

I've had sixteen games with this squad now and feel that I know enough about them to be able to create a decent depth chart. By doing that, it has also made it abundantly clear that I have some significant gaps within the squad that need to be filled, quickly. I like that I have good, healthy goalkeeper competition but, right now, have a clear number one in Traverso. Using the money from my decision to cash in on a clause for Ignacio Bonacci - even though only 15% of that will make its way into my transfer budget - my job is now to identify players that can fit these roles, firstly bringing in numbers for the defensive areas but secondly, having players on standy, if a big European clubs takes my player.

---

f9b6f07b566e4059ec6f5ea38e71ef09.png

Still sitting in a very favourable position in this mini-league but, surely, Boca and Velez will look to be filling the remaining two slots with us and River already in there. We've got five games next month with a tough test as Velez visit us and then a trip to Newell's, who've done really well so far. For me, finishing top of the group - regardless of our performances in the knockouts against, as I said, arguably the easier side of the league - will fill me with confidence as we head into the league, proper. I fully expect both Boca and River (and, probably, Velez) to be much stronger and focus on playing their strongest teams more often than not but we've still gone toe to toe with them for just about 160 minutes of those two ties!

image.thumb.png.156f1c4f329f7c7a367e6e4af3dc56e4.png

12 minutes ago, Vakama2619 said:

image.png.05739fc0f81bb5c40bd9610bfa97189f.png

Had this happen, however clicking on the links takes me to the Gyazo page

Yeah. There’s an image and it hyperlinks to their profile. I can see them fine on my laptop and my phone so it’s hard to find of what is and isn’t working and why that’s the case.  The thumbnail uses Photopea, which is the same that I’ve used for the thumbnails of the results, too. Can you see those?

Ahhhh...great to see the progress. a littel bit "sad" is, that it looks to easy already. Im sure you will be start a new success decade with Independiente.

Especially with this great player faces. It makes it easier to connect with your story and players as well.

PS: I see now everything fine, except the both two pictures which @Vakama2619 already mentioned.

21 minutes ago, _RocknRolla_ said:

Ahhhh...great to see the progress. a littel bit "sad" is, that it looks to easy already. Im sure you will be start a new success decade with Independiente.

Especially with this great player faces. It makes it easier to connect with your story and players as well.

PS: I see now everything fine, except the both two pictures which @Vakama2619 already mentioned.

Yeah - I don’t want it to feel like the elephant in the room by talking all this tactical stuff and ignoring the fact I’ve already exceeded the expectations that I had and the fact the squad is virtually the same as what inherited! However, it’s not like I’m going to fly through ten or fifteen seasons here and, if it does all come to fruition early - there is always the MLS!

I’m loving the player faces, too. Spending far too long creating them but I know that, next month, I’ll have fifteen new kids from the youth intake to give faces to. 

Those two images were uploaded and then removed from a post and then re-added with the ‘insert’ button whereas the others were ‘processed’ on Photopea at the time of the update. I will just do the picture collation at the end next month and see if that works! Thanks for the feedback all- I’d have never known!

7 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Yeah - this is an interesting thought. I do have a 'style' and I do desire quick, relatively physical players who can play on the counter but, even with that underlying DNA, there are still spaces for an old school #10 or a bully of a DM. If I was to get a 6'6" Target Forward, for example, then I'd need to think about my lack of outside wingers delivering crosses to him but I think there's enough fluidity within my style (not necessarily formation) to fit in most players. I might even train the Target Forward as the deeper full back because...why not!

The idea is - once I've got recruitment targets set up any fully understand the club depth as a whole entity - to have pretty much a conveyor belt of talent that means there may need to be changes in style if, for example, right wing target number 3 (as my own player, target 1 and target 2 have now come and gone) was really hard working and good in the tackle (and I hadn't already decided he was more useful somewhere else) - I may decide to up the pressing on whatever wing he plays on and use him to press the centre backs, using a deeper forward to sit in the gap he'd created. There'll be elements that are purely oppositional but these things will have to be thought about.

This is something I’ll be diving more into with my FM24 save, Finding that fine line between making a youth player the best version that they can be whilst adapting the tactic to utilise that but without changing the core principles too much and it’s a challenge I’m looking forward to as hopefully with the conveyor belt of talent coming through it all evolves together but needs to be perfectly balanced so one doesn’t cause the other to suffer, whereas with recruitment you’re usually looking to fill a gap in the squad in the current tactic. 
look forward to seeing what you do with that and pick up a few tips myself. 
A reserve team league will come in handy, the only issue I find is if they play games on same day you might need them as subs etc 

Also CH4 Italia football in the 90s was peak 

On 22/08/2023 at 19:44, danielgear said:

…whereas with recruitment you’re usually looking to fill a gap in the squad in the current tactic. 

I’ve done a bit of work this evening - that will come in the next update - about the summer recruitment. I’ve purposely targeted a set demographic - this case it is already developed South Americans looking to get their stagnated careers back on track from Europe. The reason for this is that, so far, they’re all more likely to take ‘rotation’ or ‘impact sub’ roles given that their playing time is so sporadic. These are gambles and, importantly, not tactic specific players - instead are a) players who can flesh out the squad and add better depth than I have now across multiple roles and b) players whose roles are different to what is at the club or offer something that I may not organically be able to grow. I’ve also got six non-Argentine spots and, with an average first team age of just under 23, feel that some older heads are vital.

I’m finding the process really interesting. It’s not moneyball - that is stat driven and it annoys me when people consider ‘bargain hunting’ to be that but the elements of risk, yet, financially at least, safe decisions intrigue me. 

31 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

annoys me when people consider ‘bargain hunting’ to be that

Tell me about it! 

One thing I’ve enjoyed the last few years is utilising experienced players that the game undervalues rather than a team of wonderkids, a healthy balance works best.

I don’t think it helps that the UI portrays quality experienced players who are max PA as worse than a youngster with a high PA. 

Looking forward to seeing the work you’ve done 

10 hours ago, danielgear said:

One thing I’ve enjoyed the last few years is utilising experienced players that the game undervalues rather than a team of wonderkids, a healthy balance works best.

I don’t think it helps that the UI portrays quality experienced players who are max PA as worse than a youngster with a high PA.

I think that is the most important thing to get right here. I'm going to give everything to get the youngsters I have at the club into the first team and then ship them on for as much as I can and, therefore, I need that balance and, importantly, that consistency. A 26 year old who I've salvaged from a second tier European league is less likely to have his head turned by the giants than an 18 year old hungry to achieve and one who has possibly outgrown the club.

7 hours ago, keeper#1 said:

Moneyball - using stats to find undervalued players and maximizing their skills set

Not Moneyball - finding cheap players, developing them, and selling them for profit - this is just Business 101

Spot on! What I'm actually doing here is finding cheap players and not even thinking about the profits bit because that comes from a different source. I've looked at every trick in the book here to apply that Business 101 ideology, even giving a 26 year old 50% of his next sale. He's not here to come in for two years and move on for $10m but, if he does, he'll have surely earnt that price tag and have powered us to a place whereby the $5m we keep from his sale will be almost insignificant!

April 2034

image.png.14b1e44d1d6e73ae8a4cb4a792f70b63.png image.png.9d02c73f26f31fa0ba398a9c8b4c23df.png image.png.0ed01832e9a06808d00984853deaa7cd.png image.png.e1ee56ad19804b40db6bbfd26d0debee.png image.png.76172d8998542025d459d8c9f50503ea.png 

Full game reviews can be seen by clicking the thumbnails, above. 

---

Rodolfo Arruabarrena employs a 4-1-2-1-2 which basically becomes a 4-3-3 when attacking. My research found that Nicolas Acosta is the prime playmaker and the ball gets to him from working the ball down the left, therefore, my plan was as follows:

• Allow the other three defenders to have the ball - never pressing - but use Azulay, the right winger, to tight mark their left back, hopefully cutting the supply line of CB-LB-ML
  • Move to an A(d) to ensure that there are still four men playing defensively to mitigate Martinez's lack of defensive ability.

We had no right to be doing that to the league champions! After removing the 'Drop off more' in an attempt to condense the play and bring them on to us a bit more, we ran absolute riot. The pick of the goals came from a flowing move whereby I'd just changed the keeper distribution to the right hand side - the side where they have the most advanced players. We drew the press in, played through it and scored. The use of the A(d) was justified as, even in defensive play, they kept three men up but it was a case of everything we touched, turned to gold - and even a cheeky foot on the ball from Rambert baited a press. If the River result was good, this one was great!

---

image.png.c45a8827cfa113528f5aa4c94d9819bf.png image.png.f46631b2bb816f1d5a36dddbf4af1ba5.png

A little scouting venture has taken me to the Potteries, of all places, to look at two midfielders currently at Stoke. Francisco Andrade and Santos are both not particularly interested in negotiating an end-of-contract deal but will happily talk for a transfer: not a financial issue when the total cost of these deals would be around $85k. Both the Brazilian and Chilean seem to be having issues with their work permits but were signed off the back of good seasons in South America. They've obviously failed to do anything for a Stoke team who are just mid-table fodder in the Championship, which feels like a very low ceiling for me but I did get to watch the Chilean in a PL2 match vs Tottenham, where he was, quite simply, sublime on the ball. I also really like his Mercenary personality; I wouldn't normally but now, for a man, who, at 25, is playing catch up, this could be the ideal selfish-drive that pushes him on and gets him back on track. I'm less sold on the back story of the Brazilian, with him making quite a big move but then not even playing PL2 football in his formative years but, on comparison, I couldn't pick one - so brought them both in on trial.

image.png.155501b12a7af6a1fde1a4caf2da39c3.png 

Both players were present in the first of four games available to them on the trial period and both played really well against Boca's reserve side. However, an knee ligament injury turned out to the start of the end for the Brazilian. Upon further inspection, I noted that his injury record, with mainly muscular injuries, was very poor and the medical team feared that he would continue in this vein. Maybe this is something that was overlooked at Stoke and has contributed to him being where he is, right now. On the flip side, Andrade's quality shone through, adding some class from a dead ball, too, which is something that we really lack. I am very aware that the quality of the opposition he played in for the last three games is not up to the quality that I want us to be facing soon, but he still had to deal with what was in front of him. 

With a new face, hairstyle, beard and Independiente shirt, he signed his pre-contract deal, which he'd decided to be interested in upon joining, and will join us in July.

---

Deportivo Moron are a team that has gone a little under my radar, to be honest. They finished fourth last year and are in the Libertadores at present, although will probably not make it out of the group stages. Emilio Romano, favours a fluid counter attacking system build, almost entirely down the flanks. I analysed their previous game and the four top pass completions were between RB and AMR, and vice versa, and LB and AML, and vice versa. My plan only had one thing in mind:

• Bring my wingers back to man mark their full backs, closing them down at all times and forcing the ball to go inside to either the centre backs or DMs, none of whom are great football technicians or playmakers.
  • Remove all pressing from the centre backs, forcing them to go either to the congested middle, where we have a numerical advantage when in the box midfield, or to go long to their striker, who isn't good in the air.

It was all over in the first half as we roll on! Two goals from set pieces, both for Peirano is always pleasing because it's another thing to work on and develop and, as of right now, I've not put a huge amount of effort into creating routines and identifying teams that we can make the most of these situations against. You can see from the pass map in the score image above that they had to work different passing lanes - going  from in-to-out with their DMLC to AML and out-to-in from their RB to DMRC and this hugely disjointed their play and isolated their striker. For me, though, the highlight was the performance of Guido Otero, who, at just eighteen years old, hsa taken the league by storm:

image.png.7a9577e06049d388477f4f8cacd08eed.png

---

Newell's have been managed by famous luminaries such as Marcelo Bielsa - whom their stadium is named after - and Tata Martino - who I came up against as Atalanta boss and have boasted players on their books such as Maxi Rodriguez, Roberto Sensini, Gabi Heinze and, of course, Mr Lionel Messi. As such, they're a team with a lot about them and a proud history. Under current boss Juan Pablo Barzola, however, they seem to have opted for dull, safe, catenaccio styled football. In their game against Santa Fe, they barely pushed forward and engaged. Therefore, the plan was simple:

• Pull back, lowering our line of engagement and defensive line in a method to draw them out and make space.

Another plan that worked well! Of the 756 passes they completed, only 205 were in our half, some 27% of their total number. For comparison, 45% of our passes were in their half. Of our nineteen total interceptions, just two of those came in their half as we sat back and attempted to pull them out. What we did was essentially create an impassable wall that they could not exploit but one that gave us enough chances. Whilst our football wasn't at its scintillating best, largely due to the crowded defensive areas, our second goal raised a smile for me. Otero's shot cannoned into the bar but, instead of moving to gather it up, their keeper watched as Matteo Gallo just tapped in the rebound for the easiest goal he'll score all season.

---

Santa Fe were a club that we should have been beating, regardless of doing anything special in terms of tactical preparation so I decided to give myself a little break from analysing and, whilst doing that, had to re-write most of the above two matches from memory as my laptop died on didn't auto-recover. Never the less, I wanted to watch how they built in their 4-3-3 shape that wants to control the possession. This is another way that I need to develop my tactical knowledge of, on the fly, so here are my observations from that first ten:

• Set to play from the back from a goal kick but take nearly a minute to do so, clearly employing time wasting tactics already.
  • DM is very deep and looks like he's trying to pick up Cavallo, my striker where possible.
  • Wingers press a lot but don't look too confident when actually initiating ball recovery but both are almost certainly on Attacking duties as not involved in any defensive work.
  • Quite narrow defensively - offering a lot of space for the wide men, although they've not delivered a good cross, yet.

In the end, it was them who shot themselves in the foot on twelve minutes, trying to play out from the back but gifting the ball straight to Otero, who fed Valdez and he finished. I felt that, the most sensible way to approach their defenders, now low on confidence and average rating, was to leave them and make them play passes that they simply wouldn't be able to given their current situation. I cut passing lanes to their centre mids and forced the full backs to give the ball to the two centre backs rather than upfield. A solid win for us, again.

---

image.png.0301f15226c8431202f3245a4023e1f7.png image.png.4413f993fe03ebafbd663f1ad35e1daa.png

This is what I want to call sensible recruitment.

I've targeted a specific demographic here - South Americans playing in Europe and, maybe, not quite having the exposure to football that they believed when that dream move opened up for them. I've also looked for players who are slightly older and those that have tangible assets that we don't already have within the squad. Part of the ideology of a conveyor belt means that I will end up with new players and building new teams often, so I need some consistency. I feel that, if these players come in and make an impact, they are still less likely to be identified by the European giants looking for the next Messi, Aimar, Mascherano etc. I'm even looking, financially, at how to get the best deal here; I have offered Radaelli a contract with 50% of his next fee to him in order to cut his weekly wage demands in half. If, by some miracle, he moves for €10m - then, surely, the $5m that we lose from it will be insignificant due to the goals and success he'll have surely brought to command that type of fee.

Francinaldo is currently at Nice and has not featured since returning from two separate loans in his homeland of Brazil, but they were keen to splash out over $3m on him four years ago. His time in Brazil was good at both Sao Paulo and Botafogo but, as you'd expect, not outstanding. If his metrics were inside the top 10 percentiles, he'd be back at Nice commanding a hefty fee to PSG but, he excels in an area that I am interested in: key passes. As a manager, it's my job to take something and make it better - be this a youth player or be it a player out of favour. Furthermore, he's a decent option at Left Back, which is a really weak area for us so, despite being signed to fill a gap in the centre of midfield, the opportunities afforded to him will be greater as he can play in two positions.  If I can get Francinaldo (unsure if he may go by Naldo or Franco but I've already reduced his name from Francinaldo Carlos) to get into areas that give him opportunities to create key passes, I think he'll be a bargain at just $130k.

Radaelli has a slightly different profile as he's never played in South America, but came through at Montpellier. He's the kind of striker that we just don't have at the club - tall, big and strong, yet surprisingly good on the ball. All of the big strikers at this level are way out of my price range so thing kind of move makes sense for me, considering that I'm definitely losing one striker at the end of this season and another is considering his options, leaving me with only Fabian Villa, who is a completely different profile. He's basically been used off the bench for Montpellier in Ligue Une but did have a season, back in 2029/30 on loan at second tier Bordeaux, where he scored seven goals. He's not glamorous but is happy to come in and rotate, which is exactly what I need with some promising youth strikers at the club and the aforementioned Villa, who is good enough and performing well enough that I just might lose him to Europe, soon. 

---

image.png.c0271bd1d6c3f9d29125d83be7134dd9.png

Full intake information can be seen by clicking on the image above.

My first set of academy players entered my youth side and, I must say, I'm delighted with what I have to work with. Below are the top five players, as rated by the Sergio Aguero, my assistant:

image.png.71a27d30dff5f368906d7504e613f94e.png image.png.2b259ee05f40f1cc8279b6a7a643a9d6.png image.png.0dfb1d71d10f7aad9d86070acf53b16b.png image.png.ea2837636c0433caad94a967a55ca3df.png image.png.8cb9fd59edb9409218a00025f7a9cffc.png

Full profiles can be seen by clicking on the thumbnail.

A plethora of attacking players but the best is definitely Bou: already an established technician and his Passing and Final third areas are already really strong. Not a dribbler or a crosser so I'm thinking that an playmaker, out wide, may be the best option to offset his lack of physical ability. Traverso is a little small for a centre back but could play as the false-full-back. Also not very physical so I'll need to work on that area, too. Velez is another playmaker type too and will need to work on developing his left foot as well as his footballing intelligence. Pereira feels like a carbon copy of Bou, creative but lacking any kind of physicality; I'll go for a mirror of Bou and look for a playmaker type out on the right hand side. Silva needs to develop technically if he wants to become a solid sweeper keeper for us but there is a player in there somewhere!

---

image.png.2fd8dc1d970329b06c743e3158b6fc38.png

The four teams that I expected to qualify for the knockout rounds are in there, just not quite in the order and the fashion that I expected. We've been simply scintillating, scoring at 2.33 goals per game, a competition high but also conceded a league low of 0.5 per game. Our style is quite clearly evident as we rank twenty-fifth out of twenty-nine in terms of OPPDA, as we are often standing off key players in their defensive areas and leaving them to have the ball, knowing that they aren't the best at creating with it. Obviously, we lead the league in dribbles, recording more than four more per game than the next highest team but only sit mid table on passes into opponents defensive third, yet, with 17.5xG - sit second in that metric. Estudiantes, second in Group A, have recorded 20.8xG and have 21 goals to show for it, so I'd suggest that they are the biggest opposition that we will face, with themselves, Racing and Colon all but guaranteed a spot and the fourth one up for grabs.

Our last two games of the league stage should bring us six points...

image.png.80c694933fd1816698b7d65264334795.png 

6 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

even giving a 26 year old 50% of his next sale. He's not here to come in for two years and move on for $10m but, if he does, he'll have surely earnt that price tag and have powered us to a place whereby the $5m we keep from his sale will be almost insignificant!

Oooh, this is smart, I like it 

6 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

A little scouting venture has taken me to the Potteries, of all places, to look at two midfielders currently at Stoke. Francisco Andrade and Santos are both not particularly interested in negotiating an end-of-contract deal but will happily talk for a transfer: not a financial issue when the total cost of these deals would be around $85k. Both the Brazilian and Chilean seem to be having issues with their work permits but were signed off the back of good seasons in South America. They've obviously failed to do anything for a Stoke team who are just mid-table fodder in the Championship, which feels like a very low ceiling for me but I did get to watch the Chilean in a PL2 match vs Tottenham, where he was, quite simply, sublime on the ball. I also really like his Mercenary personality; I wouldn't normally but now, for a man, who, at 25, is playing catch up, this could be the ideal selfish-drive that pushes him on and gets him back on track. I'm less sold on the back story of the Brazilian, with him making quite a big move but then not even playing PL2 football in his formative years but, on comparison, I couldn't pick one - so brought them both in on trial.

image.png.155501b12a7af6a1fde1a4caf2da39c3.png 

Both players were present in the first of four games available to them on the trial period and both played really well against Boca's reserve side. However, an knee ligament injury turned out to the start of the end for the Brazilian. Upon further inspection, I noted that his injury record, with mainly muscular injuries, was very poor and the medical team feared that he would continue in this vein. Maybe this is something that was overlooked at Stoke and has contributed to him being where he is, right now. On the flip side, Andrade's quality shone through, adding some class from a dead ball, too, which is something that we really lack. I am very aware that the quality of the opposition he played in for the last three games is not up to the quality that I want us to be facing soon, but he still had to deal with what was in front of him. 

With a new face, hairstyle, beard and Independiente shirt, he signed his pre-contract deal, which he'd decided to be interested in upon joining, and will join us in July.

I love stuff like this, When I consume other FM content a lot of the transfers aren’t even explained or “he looks good” 

love the depth you’ve gone into. 
Even if it doesn’t pay off it’s a free. 

23 hours ago, _RocknRolla_ said:

The future looks bright. Great development and you are directly oin the Top. Have you any doubts that you will rock the league?

It does, yeah! I think the league will be a little tighter as River and Boca have had to rotate a lot with Libertadores action going on, too. We've got a system in place that is working for us but I'll need to look at more variants as time goes on. In an ideal world, this League Cup would've come after the actual league so that I could afford to be fully experimental after embedding the core principles.

On 24/08/2023 at 18:16, danielgear said:

I love stuff like this, When I consume other FM content a lot of the transfers aren’t even explained or “he looks good” 

love the depth you’ve gone into. Even if it doesn’t pay off it’s a free. 

6 hours ago, SixPointer said:

I love the fact you’re looking to bring South Americans back home to the continent. Are people going to follow the world class manager on his journey home to win something big in the homeland…..?

I've always been a big thinker around transfers and I think that this save has further allowed me to dig deeper and explain my processes. By bringing those three in, I've been able to also sell three players who were willing to explore their options at the end of their contracts:

image.png.b1e6a2dfa473c450de142efdfc3032d0.png

$1.5m for Colman, $2m for Caicedo and over $50k saved per week in the wages sa well as creating a younger squad and signing players who, I feel, will fit my needs - as an entire team - better. If my spell here can be known for 'undervalued player hunting' and player development as well as encompassing things I've done previously - namely tactical and training development, then it feels like it'll be a successful time!

23 hours ago, _RocknRolla_ said:

BTW: In the last post looks everything perfect for me.

Perfect. I wrote all the words and then got all the images uploaded at once - will continue in that way! :thup:

May 2034

image.png.9c27868264ff95c69696e66341a14919.png image.png.2934733c5793aa3a608e9ce04b4d37b8.png image.png.7cc86201a3644778a50f89ebd92f1a7d.png image.png.3174e786e41ef089e42c46f418369d5b.png

Full match reports can be found by clicking on the thumbnails, above.

We rounded off our group phase with another two solid victories against San Lorenzo and Atletico Rafaela, to finish on an impressive thirty-seven points from a possible forty-two. In both of the games, we adopted our usual approach to pressing their defensive areas - but, against San Lorenzo, we actually forced the ball out wide as but blocked off progressive passing routes from those wide men. With all four goals coming in a thirteen minute period, it was a really strong spell both sides of half time that put the game to bed. We weren't at our best against Rafaela, squandering some good chances but, again, struggling with that breaking down of deeper teams who are on the road: our shot xG sat at just around 0.06xG/shot, which is poor, despite our control of the game. Our pressing traps worked really well, and, as you can see from the pass maps, their most used combinations were sideways or backwards, as they couldn't - or, in some ways, didn't want to - commit men forward to break us down. I always struggle with our game plan against ten men too and, given that seventy-nine minutes of the game were played out with uneven numbers, I know I need to work on that area. 

We are, right now, in a little bit of an injury crisis. To be expected when I came in, changed the style and ideology of the club and, as such, was left with several players who didn't fit my needs. However, I think this was compounded by my reluctance to change things too early and then my - so far - pretty unsuccessful attempts to attract ball playing defenders to the Argentine top flight. We currently have one attacking right back - Martinez - and he's doing great. However, he's not entirely suited to a truly inverted role and may actually be better at providing width from a CWB(a) role, especially with Otero, ahead of him, not offering natural width himself. However, I've been playing him as an IWB(a) and that's ok but there is, literally, nobody else first team ready, who can do this. Ezequiel Rossi is my starting CB and has been doing pretty well but, obviously, we've not done a huge amount of defending this season. The key here is that he can play as a right back and is also pretty good on the ball. Inspired by an Arsenal video on the great Tifo IRL channel, I think this video still with Zinchenko and Partey in the centre and Xhaka and Odegaard ahead of them, inside the opposition block shows where I want to experiment with next. One a numbered pitch zone - zone 14 is the one that we want Vega or even Azulay/Otero to be operating in and something that I paraphrased from that video which rings so true is that big teams build up through the middle because it's easier to create big chances feels really simple but something I may not have considered. The changes of roles would be relatively simple:

• IWB(a) to IWB(s)
  • DM(d) to DM(s)
  • Mez(s) to Mez(a) or CM(a)

What this, potentially, would create is a different dynamic in the midfield: 2-2 in zone 8 and 11 rather than 1-3. When I watch us against low blocks and passive defending teams, we often are stuck with five or six men ahead of the ball and I need to find a way to draw the opposition out and create spaces. However, it will then create a 3-2 rest defence instead of 3-1, which will give us more of the ball deeper and, hopefully, more options to create space and progress quickly. Also with a CM(s)/Mez(a), it'll give us a split 8 and 10 that'll make us quite hard to mark in the middle. My intentions looked something like the below:

image.thumb.png.c146b29cd5f01fa8a70f86bf8bbd2cbb.png

It didn't work against Racing. To put it simply. We had a bit of an off day that was compounded by a horrific mistake from Peirano that gifted them their goal. Both he and Silva got an average rating of 6.1 and then tried to cause mutiny when I fined them and discussed that they needed to do better - Silva's header completion ratio was way down and Peirano's pass completion. One small loss, albeit against our bitter rivals, then brought about media attention about failing to reach our short term goals and some squad unrest about underperformance. Some pretty short sighted stuff! 

Everything went to plan against Platense, except for the scoreline. The performance was good and I liked our build up. We'd have won this nine times out of ten but then felt to the lottery of penalties. The board aren't bothered but that does bring to a close our League Cup campaign which, on paper, we must have been favourites for following our great league stage performances. I can't lie though that two cup exits in four days is a little tough to take but we've now got two months before the league campaign kicks off. I'll use June to play with a few more tactical things and see what the market is like for some further reinforcements...

June 2034

Nada. Nothing.

Not entirely true - we've played a couple of friendlies, put the team through another pre-season, signed a couple of new defensive options - ready to arrive in July - and worked through a few internal things such as data collation and tracking for individual foci and trait development. However, keeping this writing to a minimum has given me more time to progress through the month and get into the big one - July. My main concern is keeping the squad together as I guide the club through the second European transfer window...

July 2034

9b163dcf4adfe6b6e1a6fe46739e540a.png 2b901e2ad30e326837922beeee7c0f4c.png 8008187b3fb382941d8f7ba628c7c789.png  c08477b6c4086c540aa1b1512298d877.png 0491b6cd91d65ca5899744c5d41952d1.png

All over the top, somewhat unnecessary, AI generated images lead to a full profile screenshot.

Franco Andrade ($0 - Stoke City) | Jonathan Radaelli ($0 - Montpellier) | Francinaldo (£130k - Nice) | Victor Rodriguez ($0 - Nottm Forest) | Allan ($120k - Montevideo City Torque)

Five new faces to bring to the club and I'm delighted with how I've worked to do so. In Andrade, Radaelli and Francinaldo, I've already spoken about the want to bring South Americans to the club who have not been able to settle elsewhere, have had issues or have potentially flown under the radar a little with their unique skill sets. In Victor Rodriguez, I have virtually done the same. An expensive move took him to Nottingham, where he played regularly but, for some reason, was not registered this year. He certainly looks to be a player capable of competing in the second tier of English football and a full season on loan at Stoke in 2031/32, showed that he was more than capable - an 87% pass success rate, 2.14 tackles won per game, three assists and three Player of the Match awards for a total rating of 7.15. The year before, he played a full season in the Premier League and rated quite well, considering Forest finished 16th and narrowly avoided the drop.

image.png.70f8d4b7a347e60fdea475821946f810.png

There is the element of concern around why he has been frozen out. His short-term plans state that he is willing to fight to regain his place in the first team - I like this but it doesn't tell me why he's out of it. His contract was running down but, again, there are no signs that he'd gone public with a desire to leave at the end of his deal or that he wanted to return to Argentina. He's also taken a pretty substantial pay cut without the absolute guarantees of finding first team football with us. That being said, he doesn't appear to be a 'bad egg' - both his personality and media handling seem good and he' openly said that he's struggling to connect with Forest's mercurial winger Dragoljub Sarka - a fickle man - due to their differences in professionalism so it doesn't feel like he'll be against me or other team members. In fact, the scouting report reckoned that he'd fit nicely into the core group of players. I think that it's very important to ensure that players, especially of this age, are less likely to upset the apple cart and I think Forest, in their (successful) aim to regain Premier League football, went all out with signings and revamping their squad, choosing loanee Gbadamosi over Victor. Their loss is, hopefully, our gain.

In seeking more cover at full back, I came across a scout report for Allan - a dual Uruguayan/Brazilian, who came through the Palmeiras setup. Unlike the majority of previous dealings, this lad is playing and was only available due to a very low release fee and an unhappiness to sign a new deal in the Uruguayan capital. This one is slightly different as I this league is a step up for him but, in comparison with Rambert, my current first choice left back, there's a lot of similarities in their statistical outputs. Attribute wise, they are also quite well matched. Again, there was a thorough understanding of him as a player and my scouting team believe he'll fit into a group - the secondary social group - with Valdez, Rambert himself and Mariano Rocha: three quite professional, sporting characters, who have, mostly, been on my side for any crunch decisions. He's fairly consistent and loves big matches, which is a real bonus for us to have and bringing through solid competition - potentially on either side of the defensive line, was a focus of mine that I feel I have achieved with these past two signings.

Sadly, the outgoing transfers, which, to my mind were downgrades on what I had brought in, came at the disappointment of the fanbase. I must, wholeheartedly, admit that long term squad building in a place like Argentina is tougher than I thought!

Unfortunately, there were more to come, too...

image.png.0ffb77d308d2109463de891f89cff9d7.png image.png.ac1c11c116b984233fdf46103ba946e5.png 

Full profiles can be seen by clicking the thumbnails.

Reluctantly, I negotiated an offer for Otero that feels like a win for us. He had moaned about not being able to make Europe but we get a total that matches the promise I made to him yet keep him until December 2035, which, will only be of use to Villa as we will continue to develop him. A similar deal was made for Sebastian Silva, this time to Roma, although I'll only have him until July of next year. I think that the loan back phase is something that we are going to have to make use of in order to keep our talents here for long enough. Sadly, David Cavallo also agreed a deal to leave us, but this one included no loan back clause: he goes at the end of the calendar year to Valencia.

image.png.e81baa9a271ff53525fd02dc687adfc9.png

To bolster our ranks, I've made a cheap - $110k - deal to bring in Tomas Sanchez from AEK. He made a move as a promising youngster - only not joining me at Atalanta due to the fact he lacked an EU passport. Sadly, with their riches and poor youth development program, he's not done anything and is now quite under developed for a player of his age. However, he's another relatively short term option that fits a hole that we have, although he's probably a player that will fail to command that many appearances, unless he significantly ups his game. I like to use a series of venn diagrams and he's probably the only player that I now have that can play in all three midfield roles. This deal and the lack of available options but, more so, the thought that I'm going to have to repeatedly do this - Villa, Azulay, Vega, Traverso, Rossi etc are all young, hungry and good enough to move to Europe - meant that I wanted to change my thoughts a little on squad building.

I'm going to have to rely on the youth academy as I simply cannot find eight or ten of these undervalued players each year. Granted, I could look to sign players who are already established in Argentina but those are not cheap and I'd be paying even more as a divisional rival to most of these - with players from Boca, River, Racing and Velez actually not wanting to discuss terms simply because of that rivalry. Therefore, I need to dig into my youth squad more.

image.thumb.png.71c9e9076e37c76c188f81826df90791.png

I need to do everything in my power to get these youngsters up to speed as fast as I can, given that I could well be losing several of my first team talents per year. The easiest way to do that is through game time. There is a clear tactical identity being built here and that is played through with the youth sides, so it makes sense for certain players to step up when needed and, given that the board only want us to finish within the Top Six this year, there is some leeway for quality to be dropped out for potential. I would like that these youngsters, Moreli aside for obvious reasons, reach at least five hundred minutes during the league phase of the season.

Mid-season friendlies bring about a few chances to check things tactically and the first thing I noticed was a very flat front three when using an IF(s) on the left and an IW(a) on the right. Therefore, I altered our base shape, swapping the roles to IF(a) and IW(s) which meant that Otero stepped off, pulling their DM back to worry about our MC and then leaving their left back in two minds about what to do. Just a small change in a pretty meaningless June friendly but one that helps create connections within our transitional play and will be something that I can monitor during the first month of the season.

image.png.7ee01b1222273cabf5aed31c5550dbfc.pngimage.png.1f2c37737e2a3c7afb1807b75c49a919.pngimage.png.211b9eb6b585378656edf4b6ab58afd8.png image.png.eafd6b9c8c06c809bc51b8503fef0f14.pngimage.png.f6e76acd8b38569db0f9471f0e0d5a21.png

A trip to the UAE to face Shabab was pretty straightforward as I wanted to test my new players in the heat. A noticeable tactical point was watching Andrade holding his shape even when we build down the left. Against Excursionistas, we played as many of the youth players as possible and I was really impressed by a number of them, giving me hope that they can, indeed, step in when needed.

In my 500th game, the league opener against Rosaria - a match that the fans demanded I won - I named a Zucchelli and Calderon on the bench but otherwise went as full strength as I could, with only Victor Rodriguez of the new signings making the starting XI. Against their 4-4-2, I decided, as I often do, to sit off their defenders - none of whom are great on the ball - and closely mark their outlet, the creative centre mid. Going forward, it was all about finding the spaces between their lines, so I opted for a CM(a) rather than a Mez(a) in order to stay a little more central. Twice inside the first ten minutes, Villa's pressing on their non-playmaking CM caused poor passes and he could have had a hattrick, adding to the fine goal he netted from an Azulay knock down. He had his second some ten minutes later though as Otero was felled after a surge into the area, bringing up his fiftieth goal for the club. Rosario were reduced to ten men before half time and, to make it even worse, Peirano nodded in an Otero corner to put the game to bed. I never like to concede but can accept why we let Rosario back in the game, albeit temporarily. Their defenders had struggled as we stood off but a long hoof, one of the few that they attempted, was met by their striker, who finished well. We had the last laugh though as sub Andrade laid on Villa for his hattrick and then youngster Calderon laid on Andrade to cap quite a fantastic cameo for the Chilean on debut.

More turbulence came before the Santa Fe tie as hattrick-hero Villa decided to tell me how angry he was that I rejected a move for him to Milan - granted, they are better but it didn't meet the amount we had agreed on in the promise. Low morale breeds profligacy so he was dropped to the bench, with promising youngster Arrieta given the nod ahead of Radaelli and Cavallo, in a game that I'd earmarked as one I could and should win. Win we did, and involvings the kids, too, but it wasn't as clear cut as it should have been. Arrieta's lovely through ball was finished off by Valdez before young substitute Paz, on for his debut, ran - unopposed - into the Santa Fe area and finished well before Vega smashed home from twenty five yards to give us the three points.

However, there is an issue, in goal:

image.png.e5607c2f3eeca39f127c34455b2a1507.png

I'm trying to rotate and give minutes to good training performances but, as of right now, there is only one keeper worth playing in my first team - Matias Traverso, on the right. Both of Santa Fe's goals were soft and shots he should have saved, going in at his near post. When comparing them, there's a huge difference in quality and the stats suggest that Brondi has actually faced more 'savable' shots than his rival but has performed really poorly with them. Moving to the 3-2 rest defence should have given us more defensive stability but it feels like, with him in the nets, we could concede from every shot the opposition have.

We rounded the month off with an infinitely more secure win over Estudiantes to end the month with a 100% record. If this month wasn't turbulent enough, August has nine league fixtures and the European markets are still in full force!

image.thumb.png.3fc678e6536e35f995d30a9343a3413f.png

1 hour ago, SixPointer said:

5 goals on the 500th game a goal for every hundred is a nice touch. Transfer business looks well thought out and calculated as always.

Is there potential to become self sufficient on the academy in the future?

Thanks. The plan is to become as self sufficient as possible, but I know that’s somewhat unrealistic, even for a club like Independiente. I can’t bring in eight or nine players a season, like I’ve done - in total - this one. There isn’t the breadth of talent, at the prices I’m willing to pay, out there. However, given that sales of academy players are entirely profit, there is scope for ‘the more I sell, the more I could buy’ but we’ll see. 

I’ve given minutes to a few youth players across the first few league games and it’s fine. You can tell that sometimes their decision making or positioning can be a little off - but that’s what age and time within my systems will bring to them. Giving it to them earlier and more regularly will only help!

3 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Thanks. The plan is to become as self sufficient as possible, but I know that’s somewhat unrealistic, even for a club like Independiente. I can’t bring in eight or nine players a season, like I’ve done - in total - this one. There isn’t the breadth of talent, at the prices I’m willing to pay, out there. However, given that sales of academy players are entirely profit, there is scope for ‘the more I sell, the more I could buy’ but we’ll see. 

I’ve given minutes to a few youth players across the first few league games and it’s fine. You can tell that sometimes their decision making or positioning can be a little off - but that’s what age and time within my systems will bring to them. Giving it to them earlier and more regularly will only help!

Think once your get the base of a good squad it’s easier to get in the habit of Cherry picking and adding one or two and starting the cycle of profit making. Until you get tht base it’s tough finding your feet. 

August 2034

image.png.246b7a0546bcd015213dceaa9428250c.png image.png.7f1835179875f64d373f7e8cc265d660.png image.png.4723ddcf588bbdb7987f6c0fd01d004d.png

image.png.7f0c8cf96028581f5c40179f2d340afb.png image.png.12af743d4dcee910470921d9f91c17e8.png image.png.98f3e778b34864504e9bb36a0e91314b.png

image.png.c2697c91ed360baa63b06d0a1e4c014a.png image.png.ba45c804dfda5cf236047fc84a376566.pngimage.png.22cd80f7a9a762077ab5b2f9fa11ad54.png

lot of football played this month! Full details of each game can be seen by clicking on the thumbnail above.

Instead of posting tactical thoughts about every match, I sat back and watched us play some lovely football, learning more and more about the process and the squad I've got here. An absolutely outstanding away win at Boca - testament of how far we've come tactically since their 2-0 win earlier in the season - was the biggest highlight. In terms of little things that I noticed, I loved our quick transitional play as seen here, although Otero could not finish and was utterly perplexed as we hit the woodwork eight times in our drawn with Moron. In the last game of the month, Francisco Andrade netted two freekicks - and it transpired that James Ward Prowse actually has a poster of him on his bedroom wall.

The transfer window mid way through the month and shows that we've been the busiest team: a statistic that we simply cannot and will not keep up.

For me, adding the loan back is the perfect storm as it gives me money, usually an add on and the player for another 12/18 months, which then becomes really targeted development time for the player I've identified to take over. Based on that thought, I accepted a bid for Villa, however he rejected Almeria's contract and has stayed with us for the time being. The deal, in my eyes, is perfect because he's certainly outgrown us, but - once back on loan - will rarely moan about club issues, keeping the player with me and performing well, when needed rather than always. However, I know it's one that'll not go down too well with the fans here.

image.thumb.png.386911f70e2e53184cc3f01f20075938.png

We sit nicely atop the league and are, as expected, making our way up the average points table. I thought we'd do well this season but have to admit that I wasn't quite expecting this level of performance. However, I must maintain that I feel like this league is very difficult to maintain high performance in, simply due to player sales. Great examples of this are Velez's no-show in their title defence and the struggles that Racing Club are having, again. We still have to play Newell's (H), River (A), Velez (A) and Tucuman (A) so this is not a foregone conclusion, by any means.

image.thumb.png.d828d3de0a5976e8ff380db833a6e5d9.png

2 hours ago, lfds89 said:

8? Were they on the crossbar challenge?

The league looks pretty competitive between the top-4.

Never seen anything like it! It does feel competitive and I’m happy about that. We’re going to reach a point where we get stronger as players develop and then get weaker as they move on, so hopefully should stay so. 

Surprised he rejected, did he give a reason?

He didn’t, no. Wasn’t transfer listed but was unhappy as wanted to go to a bigger club. I actually don’t think that it was the right move for him anyway, so I’m not too disheartened. 

September 2034

image.png.963a7abcf99b048ad80652c04b7b018c.pngimage.png.d2f8ba80b9e21a31a6e0ac6818197eea.pngimage.png.1405db2792af129ee8809547b0f9f32a.png  image.png.8d8a8239f5724651f856782dcefbaf19.pngimage.png.46e2c19c0e71e7ca9f365dd077b1843d.png

Full match reports can be found by clicking on the thumbnails, above.

think we might win the league! I'm shocked that we're still pushing on as we are but I'm finding more and more ways to unlock defences as I learn about my players and just what they can do. I've been really impressed with Vega this month - who now has fifteen goal contributions. When he has the freedom to pick up the ball, there are few at this level with the ability to pick a pass like he does. I've found him even more dangerous when paired with a more defensive minded central midfielder, such as Avilla, who can allow him to get by with his lack of defensive awareness. 

The moment of the month, for me, was when Villa finished a sweeping move to put us two-nil up against Gimnasia. I'm tweaking our build up play so that we both push our defensive line higher up the pitch, thus almost forcing the opponent to press as there is less space and accepting that we will have more of the ball as teams now are sitting off us much more. There is still work to be done - we're not quite as defensively solid as I want us to be but that'll come in time, and with practice.

The league table has us in a fine position: top of the league by six points with ten games to go. There are tougher games to come with two of those next month, away at Tucuman and at home to Velez but we are finding a way to get past our opponents pretty efficiently at this time!

image.png.5524b398446ea2339ec1a601f1619c82.png

---

I've enjoyed taking a step back from the heavy tactical month that August was to dig into some more player development, as you can see with the five players, below:

image.png.77f4d29eba1ef85a2ce12ad8dd7a50b7.png image.png.8ce7bcea0ea713382edd76f7998cefbf.png image.png.22767783b385e0190a44141e4939c6b3.png image.png.6365cb5d4f5229d079f27f3aa93ab40d.png image.png.78774f9816c96aaa2314987f548fdcd2.png

Unfortunately - I have written several hundreds of words to describe the plans that I'm going through with these five youngsters and how they're developing into new roles, new areas of their games or how they've hit a stumbling block and, perhaps, need a new direction in their development. However, the dreaded laptop battery-death and then, helpfully, the forum loading the post for August in the saved post section, means that I've now got nothing more than the screenshots that I gathered. In essentially what is a TLDR; Zucchelli wasn't developing his Shooting ability as I wanted and I was trying to go with a F9, but now I want a more advanced forward and he's the most rounded of those; Calderon has been excellent - increasing his average for Att Movement to 9.67 from 7.33 (that is seven points of progress) as well as retraining as a CM; Vera has retrained as a full back but still needs to round his game off, Paz has been great but I have an exciting experiment with a couple of traits for him and Arrieta has struggled to lead the line so is being converted to an IF(a). I have put the hours into this to offset the losses, like the one below:

image.png.918cda36648b1ce8e25d6e962561a5dd.png

A big loss as Villa is - arguably - the best domestic Argentinian striker going at the moment. His transfer to Sporting is about $1-2m less than I really wanted but, by selling to a club outside the Big Five leagues, I think he'll play and develop even more there, bringing the 40% clause into play. Before I took over, we sold a defender to Man Utd and retained 30% of his next sale; sadly, he's not kicked a ball whilst being there and is unlikely to command much, if any,profit for us in future if this continues. That leaves me exports as follows:

• Guido Otero - $10.5m to Aston Villa
  • Daniel Sosa - $2.2m to Benfica
  • Sebastian Silva - $2.8m to Roma
  • Fabian Villa - £9m to Sporting.

There is a clear ideology here and, whilst it is one of the most unrealistic things in FM, I have demanded that the board increase the training and youth facilities, as well as our youth recruitment network, with this money. They have agreed.