Board Expectations: Play direct football

Hello

I started to play with real madrid and the board is expecting that I am playing a attacking and direct football.

So the default fm styles arent really giving me a option to play direct and attacking football. I dont want and have to dominate the ball possession (so vertical tiki taka is not a option for me).

So how can I reach this direct style and also playing attacking football? Is there a thread that explains direct style in fm way?

Thx for help.

Direct football basicly is about moving the ball forward as quickly as possible to create an opportunity. It usually contains elements of dribbling with the ball if space opens up, moving your players forward quickly, playing with tempo to make it hard for the oppositions defense to reorganize and looking for risky and more direct passes. All of this comes - to some extend - already with the more attacking mentalities. 

So to please your board, i would start out with a positive or attacking mentality, a rather top heavy formation (at least no bottom heavy) and then move on from there and further refine your style.

Thx for your reply!

To be more precise: This is my starting point. But I dont know how should I set the tempo or directness of passing. Can you rate my formation, roles and duties etc.

How can I reach a attacking (a lot of shots and chances) and direct football?

image.png.202e59c91a1496b941587d1ec332f16b.png

Not to different from how i set up my madrid side when i started the save.

Im not sure how fm would interpret it but attacking mentality, run at defence and extremely high tempo is how i did it.

I also had a lot of more attacking dutieses, like balls to the wall only cb's stay back level of attacking duties. Thats the real madrid philosophy.

For the future of your save, i retrained valverde to inverted wingback attack on the right so i could use kroos and modric till they died and still have room for camavinga. Carvajal was more with the fysios than the coaches anyways

16 hours ago, vandamme22 said:

This is my starting point. But I dont know how should I set the tempo or directness of passing

I'd try that for now, the passing on a Positive mentality isn't short so give it a few games and see what the board thinks 

3 hours ago, Jack722 said:

I'm surprised no one's mentioned using more direct passing and an attacking mentality.

I don't think you need to, there will be some direct passing just on a Positive mentality which may be enough to satisfy the board. Going up to Attacking and More Direct might bring too many direct passes and be overkill   

On 08/05/2022 at 18:32, vandamme22 said:

This is my starting point. But I dont know how should I set the tempo or directness of passing. Can you rate my formation, roles and duties etc.

Well, I would start from there and see how it works (or not). In the further process it could be helpful to remove play out of defense as long as you doesn’t increase your overall passing directness.

You may also need some more roles with natural direct movement (like the IF). Those are usually attack duty roles with more dribbling. Maybe one from central midfield and either the striker or the other wide player. 

• 1 month later...

The tactic you posted looks like a pretty good starting point to me; if I was trying to create a direct attacking style with that madrid squad I'd go for a mid block so that there's more space to play direct in transition and our slower/lower workrate players such as hazard and kroos don't get exposed in a high pressing system. So I would drop the DLine and LOE back to standard and remove prevent short GK distribution.

I would also consider removing counter press since playing direct doesn't really allow for efficient counter pressing imo since you will typically not have enough players in close proximity to the ball during transition to effectively pressure and take away passing options, however since you are Real Madrid you will most likely dominate possession in most games anyway and can counterpress when losing the ball in the final 3rd.

As for tempo and passing directness I'd leave them as default for now since with a positive mentality they will already be slightly skewed towards higher tempo/more direct, and the 'counter' TI in transition means your team should go direct more often in transition anyway.

Personally I would also consider experimenting with Benzema as a Trequartista due to his exceptional technique, flair, vision, passing and first touch but he should still work very well as a DLF on attack.

I would also pay close attention to the mezzala and IF to make sure they are not getting too close to each other in possession, if they do I would probably change the mezzala to just a CM on support or a box-to-box if you feel there aren't enough numbers in the box in the final 3rd.

Edited by wixxi

Okay with the help of https://www.guidetofm.com/tactics/playing-style-composition/ I created the tactic below. I've used TI's associated with Direct Attacking Football, and used roles that have PI's that are more suited to Direct Attacking Football, while keeping in mind the players most suitable role and synergy with Player Traits (I'm still bummed out that I could not optimise Kroos). Some of the Direct Attacking Football TI's were removed and instead I used PI's to gain a similar effect.

image.png.93d0fc3735c495b28f034d03d5935707.png

The DR/DL have the PI Cross More Often, Cross From Deep and Rune Wide With Ball. The DM has Tackle Harder and Hold Position. For the MCL I have Take More Risks, Shoot More Often and Move Into Channels. Last but not least, both IW have Shoot More Often.

I tested my tactic (and all variations of it) by going on holiday, but I noticed that I've had the most success by going on holiday for 120 days. With 90 days, the board was 9 out of 10 times times not satisfied, so it will take some time. 

RM2.PNG.07ebe7137910a4b78cf136228d2d39a8.PNG

Edited by vertering
Typo