How do you use touchline shouts?

The only one I sometimes use is 'Encourage' for the whole team if they have fallen behind and I can see morale dropping. Doesn't always have the desired effect, mind. Most of the time I feel the shouts do more harm than good (based solely on the morale colour change). 

6 hours ago, Skywalk3r83 said:

Encourage when drawing
Demand more when losing
Praise when +2 up
Berate when +3 losing

These shouts need to be relative to the opposition you are playing, for example if you were manager of a league 2 team and were 3-0 down to Man City in the cup you certainly wouldn’t Berate them.

For me it depends on a few factors. As @Hilly1979 said, the opposition do play a part. For example if I'm managing Ludogorets and I'm away to PSG, there is no way I'm going to berate the team if we're losing. Morale is already going to take a hit if we lose and lose heavily. I don't want to compound it further by losing it with the players and potentially running into a poor run of form in the next few games.

New signings: If I have made a few new signings and they're in the line-up, I won't be too hard on those players. I will individually talk to them (encourage mostly, occasional demand more) and then give the others a kick up the arse.

Youngsters: It's the same with youngsters. I like to build them up and allow them to play without added pressure. If I have a youngster with good determination and a positive personality I may test the waters if he has a poor game by giving him a rocket but he would have to be playing really poor for this to happen (6.0 for instance). He would also have to have been generating poor match ratings for 2, 3 or maybe even 4 games for me to want to crack the whip.

Time in the job: I also like to take into account how long I've been in the job; my reputation and level of support from players. If I've just come through the door and the managerial support isn't great then I'd be wary of gobbing off at the players. It would disrupt things early on and possibly make my job harder.

Player personalities: Considering the hierachy and dynamics is another thing I take into account. For example in my previous job at AC Sparta Praha I was playing away against FK Teplice. According to the betting odds we were being touted as comfortable favourites. I noticed before the game that several players were complacent. I tried to rectify it with a stern pre-match team talk. We were winning 2-1 by the hour mark and playing reasonably well but still a few players were showing signs of complacency. We eventually won 3-1. I berated the team at full-time.

After the match, Bořek Dočkal (Team Leader & Icon) informed me that he wasn't happy with the team-talk and felt it was too harsh. I thought "here we go" I was ready to let him have it until I realised that 14 players agreed with him.  Our relationship soon fell apart after that lol.

Now I have no idea if any of the things I like to do actually make that much of a difference or how long morale would stay low after games if I gave the team a verbal volley. It's just how I like to approach shouts and the fragile subject that is morale.

Edited by Damfonik

1 hour ago, Hilly1979 said:

These shouts need to be relative to the opposition you are playing, for example if you were manager of a league 2 team and were 3-0 down to Man City in the cup you certainly wouldn’t Berate them.

Yes true 😁

The shouts system is difficult to work with because it is pretty opaque and unintuitive. Using the wrong shout at the wrong time can have adverse consequences. I have even experienced moments where using the wrong shout appeared to cost me the game. Most recently my defense utterly collapsed because I told the team "no pressure" and yet despite this I have been experimenting more and more with these shouts because I want every edge possible.

I don't spam encourage as much as I did before, because it seems to have diminishing returns and it seems to have the greatest effect when your team is either losing or under great pressure.

Demand more is tricky. I have been hesitant to use it lately because I have had players earn straight red cards after I demanded more from them. It could be a coincidence perhaps, but I do think it can make your players a little too aggressive and reckless. I think you should only use this one if your players are being to timid in their attempts to win back the ball.

Calm down seems mostly to work on players who are angry or frustrated, but not much otherwise.

Praise is weird, I would only use it when you are starting to dominate xG in a tough game otherwise there is too great a risk of them becoming complacent or something else terrible..

I've had a lot of luck berating my players lately, when we are behind on xG against weaker teams, but you have to be careful about berating your players late in the game, because they may be more vulnerable psychologically then.

• 3 weeks later...

The most annoying thing with shouts is that they seem to take effect a few in-game minutes after you click for them to occur, during which events can transpire that would change the shout I would have chosen.

For example, I've been leading 1-0 against a bigger team, clicked the praise shout, then conceded a goal during the next highlight, only for my shout to then go through after the highlight and my team body language to collapse.

Similarly, I've encouraged when level, only to score and have the shout happen immediately afterwards, again wrecking the team performance.

This is a really annoying issue that needs sorting out.

Edited by RobotAardvark

'Demand more' tends to work with first team players (high determination and professionalism), especially when they're playing poorly (6.5ish rating)

'Calm down' to complacent players

'Encourage' to anxious players (sometimes works, sometimes doesn't)

'Praise' when warranted (goalscorer, penalty save etc.)

1 hour ago, RobotAardvark said:

The most annoying thing with shouts is that they seem to take effect a few in-game minutes after you click for them to occur, during which events can transpire that would change the shout I would have chosen.

For example, I've been leading 1-0 against a bigger team, clicked the praise shout, then conceded a goal during the next highlight, only for my shout to then go through after the highlight and my team body language to collapse.

Similarly, I've encouraged when level, only to score and have the shout happen immediately afterwards, again wrecking the team performance.

It is something that 'kicks in' at the next stoppage in play. 

To avoid what happened to you - If I want to use a touchline shout and there's a highlight playing, I wait until the end of the highlight before using it.

1 hour ago, RobotAardvark said:

The reason why shouts is not happened during a highlight (like subs or tactical changes) is that can become an exploitable "button". In order to avoid "mistakes", apply shout after a highlight. 

1 hour ago, HUNT3R said:

It is something that 'kicks in' at the next stoppage in play. 

To avoid what happened to you - If I want to use a touchline shout and there's a highlight playing, I wait until the end of the highlight before using it.

55 minutes ago, fc.cadoni said:

The reason why shouts is not happened during a highlight (like subs or tactical changes) is that can become an exploitable "button". In order to avoid "mistakes", apply shout after a highlight. 

I shout *before* the highlight starts, though.

Shout--> Highlight begins --> Shout effect takes place --> team morale drops.

That's the problem. There should be an option to confirm shout after goal as there is for substitutions to prevent this from happening. I've just put in in as a feature request.

29 minutes ago, RobotAardvark said:

I shout *before* the highlight starts, though.

Shout--> Highlight begins --> Shout effect takes place --> team morale drops.

That's the problem. There should be an option to confirm shout after goal as there is for substitutions to prevent this from happening. I've just put in in as a feature request.

Ok, understood. I think I've had that happen when I click just before a highlight starts. Highlights usually (always?) start with a set-piece (goal kick, free kick or throw in) so any shout done before the highlight should kick in just as the highlight start. Clicking it a few milliseconds before it starts is the 'issue' here, I think. A pop-up is not a bad idea. Now it's for SI to review.  :thup:

But there's a video from Leyodemus on shouts. And there's a great tip... When you shout and the highlight start you can cancel. Put the game on pause, go in tactic and there's a button when you can cancel change. And you can shout again more logic on what it happened on the pitch.

6 hours ago, coach vahid said:

But there's a video from Leyodemus on shouts. And there's a great tip... When you shout and the highlight start you can cancel. Put the game on pause, go in tactic and there's a button when you can cancel change. And you can shout again more logic on what it happened on the pitch.

Thanks man, I didn't know that, that's awesome!

I am a lazy type of FM player, I leave almost all of my tasks to my assistant except buying & selling players, contracts, assigning coaching & medical staff and even pre-talk, press conferences and shouting I assign to my assistants.

In addition to this topic I also want to know if there is an impact on personality attributes by what we do in pre-talk and shouting other than lifting the morale of players in the game?

Edited by kalongtongan

il y a une heure, kalongtongan a dit :

I am a lazy type of FM player, I leave almost all of my tasks to my assistant except buying & selling players, contracts, assigning coaching & medical staff and even pre-talk, press conferences and shouting I assign to my assistants.

In addition to this topic I also want to know if there is an impact on personality attributes by what we do in pre-talk and shouting other than lifting the morale of players in the game?

The only thing I'm sure is when you criticize a bad performance under 6.5 rating, your player can increase work rate or determination. 

But it makes sense that all things become one. Good shout<players motivated, better performances and better results. Better results<players happy, better training and attributes increase and...