Welp...Is It Time for a New Save???

So, my Stoke experiment is going badly.  Seven games in I have 4 points and am plummeting to the bottom of the table.  We are on a new winless streak.  Team morale is in the dumps.  I better understand my mistakes and see why I lost some games.  Despite our record, we have been playing better.

However, is it too late to turn things around?  Am I about to get fired?  Have you ever turned things around after starting so badly?

For some context, I chose Stoke as my team for the save.

This will depend on the board expectations- it it was to battle against relegation, then you should get a lot more time.  If the expectation was higher than that, I think that the board will start to ramp up the pressure on you fairly soon, but there is still time to turn it around with some wins

11 hours ago, LyghtWayve said:

So, my Stoke experiment is going badly.  Seven games in I have 4 points and am plummeting to the bottom of the table.  We are on a new winless streak.  Team morale is in the dumps.  I better understand my mistakes and see why I lost some games.  Despite our record, we have been playing better.

However, is it too late to turn things around?  Am I about to get fired?  Have you ever turned things around after starting so badly?

Whats your board expectations and your board rating?

43 minutes ago, LyghtWayve said:

Good question, see below.  I have a C-.

Also, what happens if I get fired?

Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 5.18.20 PM.png

I'd say you have maximum 10 games, maybe less depending on the next few results, to turn it around.

If you get fired then you have to look for a new job but considering you're in the first season you'll probably need to look further down the leagues depending on what rep and qualifications you set the manager up with.

2 hours ago, danielclouston1 said:

I'd say you have maximum 10 games, maybe less depending on the next few results, to turn it around.

If you get fired then you have to look for a new job but considering you're in the first season you'll probably need to look further down the leagues depending on what rep and qualifications you set the manager up with.

10 more games, or 10 games total?  I am in my 7th or 8th game.  So I need to know if I have 2 games left or if I have 10 more games left.  Thanks.

4 minutes ago, LyghtWayve said:

10 more games, or 10 games total?  I am in my 7th or 8th game.  So I need to know if I have 2 games left or if I have 10 more games left.  Thanks.

Its hard to say for definite because a lot of factors come in to play. Nobody will be able to say yes, you definitely have 10 games left. I'd say around 10 games left but if you were to lose the next 3 then that 10 games could soon turn to 5. You need to start picking up results now though or you will be facing the sack.

• FrazT changed the title to Welp...Is It Time for a New Save???

You're in a tough situation tbh. If I was in your situation my first thought would be to change up my tactics and try something new but the issue with that is you then have to adjust your whole training schedule. Plus then the team will have to build up their familiarity with that formation and tactic. Maybe try some small tweaks instead of big changes and see if that helps pick up some points? 

On 26/12/2020 at 00:55, LyghtWayve said:

I need more context!

On 27/12/2020 at 02:37, FrazT said:

You have to reach then playoffs as a minimum, so I would say that your time will run out pretty quickly if you dont start winning.

I think the word "required" is the wrong term to use (by the game). I got a green "Passed" at "finish in the top 2 spots" despite finishing in 4th place. I think a more suitable word would be excpect, or simply want/hope. idk english is not my first language. I can give you many more examples of getting below the "required" in cups and stuff and still getting a green/good grade from the board. Edit: (I play fm20, not fm21)

Edited by Speedyol
Spesify what version of the game is fm20

2 hours ago, LyghtWayve said:

Thanks everyone.

I did win my next game.  I will see what happens and keep everyone updated.  I don't want to be sacked 😭😭😭😭😭

Have any of you been sacked?

I have been sacked a few times. You need to get a E minus or F on the overall score including tranfers, matches ect. You get multiple required board meetings where you can ask for another month to improve things. Sometims they give you a target like 10 points from the next 4 matches or else you are fired. It can take 3 months/3 meetings and if you dont improve you often get sacked right after a lost match/the final straw. But It can be easy to find a new job without starting over.

1 hour ago, Speedyol said:

I think the word "required" is the wrong term to use (by the game). I got a green "Passed" at "finish in the top 2 spots" despite finishing in 4th place. I think a more suitable word would be excpect, or simply want/hope. idk english is not my first language. I can give you many more examples of getting below the "required" in cups and stuff and still getting a green/good grade from the board. Edit: (I play fm20, not fm21)

I think that the use of the word "required" is to set the bar at a high level and that allows the board to make allowances if you fall just short- if the expectations are lowered by using "expect", then it cuts down the options.  

2 minutes ago, FrazT said:

I think that the use of the word "required" is to set the bar at a high level and that allows the board to make allowances if you fall just short- if the expectations are lowered by using "expect", then it cuts down the options.  

I forgot to write this. I think the "required" statements carry more weight onto the overall performance score. example failing 1 required goal makes more impact on the score (A-F) than failing 3 favored goals. They are more important for the club. but its just as easy to get a green/pass on a required goal as it is on a favored or desired goal. So its not about how "hard" it is to pass, but how much it means to the club that you did pass. I think the "importance" words could be changed to reflect this, but I cant think of a better word myself.

For instance, I have "required" = "Make the most out of set pieces" = Green Delighted - I think if the goal was only favored or desired, I would still have a green delighted, not anything more. But the goal would have carry less weight on my grade.

8 hours ago, LyghtWayve said:

Thanks everyone.

I did win my next game.  I will see what happens and keep everyone updated.  I don't want to be sacked 😭😭😭😭😭

Have any of you been sacked?

All the best journeyman saves include a few sackings - followed by joining  clubs you'd never have chosen yourself.

2 hours ago, rp1966 said:

All the best journeyman saves include a few sackings - followed by joining  clubs you'd never have chosen yourself.

This is a great point. I did my first Journeyman in FM20 and it started off with 2 sackings and a relegation in the first season! 1 season! It just made it feel all the more rewarding when I finally got to the club/found a tactic that clicked.