Opposition WB getting in dangerous positions

How do you deal with an Opposition WB who keeps getting high up the pitch and getting the ball? 

I was thinking maybe putting my wide AM on his side on attack to keep him down the pitch? Not sure.

Looking for general advice. 

A quick fix I found can work is setting your AML/R PIs to include tighter marking. That way, he should track back a little more as the 'default' player to mark would be his opposite WB.  It does limit his ability to exploit any space left behind though.

3 hours ago, djpdavey said:

Capture.thumb.PNG.4fb2d20328b5d44955dc5ae8d9740496.PNG

On 23/04/2020 at 21:37, djpdavey said:

How do you deal with an Opposition WB who keeps getting high up the pitch and getting the ball?

When it comes specifically to your tactic, the first tweak I would try is remove both Focus play down the flanks instructions (or at least the one pertinent to that particular flank where you are struggling against the opposition WB). 

Btw, using the offside trap does not look like a good idea when your CBs have different duties. 

7 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

When it comes specifically to your tactic, the first tweak I would try is remove both Focus play down the flanks instructions (or at least the one pertinent to that particular flank where you are struggling against the opposition WB). 

Btw, using the offside trap does not look like a good idea when your CBs have different duties. 

Thanks, I dont actually have issues with the offside trap but I will look at the wing focus.

Why would that TI be causing me issues?

Edited by djpdavey

There are various things to try.

See the match and observer how the fullback is getting the ball.

1. Is it via a wide midfielder (try instruction defend wide)

2. Is it via a central playmaker (try to compress the space for playmaker so he doesnt get much time on ball) - This can be done by changing roles and duties of ur attack/midfiled or lowering line of engagement so that he gets sanwitched)

3. There is no golden rule, try seeing the match and observe what is working. Dont change ur tactic it looks pretty good on paper. Try adjusting team/player instructions for matches by obsering whats working in that match and what is not.

1 hour ago, djpdavey said:

Thanks, I dont actually have issues with the offside trap but I will look at the wing focus.

I think it’s probably more down to luck than judgement with the offside trap to be honest, to play the offside trap perfectly you need defenders in line, not one engaging and one dropping off, Perfectly sound advice from @Experienced Defender

2 hours ago, djpdavey said:

Focus play down the left/right increases the mentality of the players on those wings, so they're further up the pitch. If you drop those TIs, they won't be quite so attacking and there will be less space behind them. Your team will naturally use the wings anyway, because you've got an overlapping FB on the left and a winger on the right

Get your AMR to man mark their DL. This has worked so well for me it almost seems like gaming the system now. It doesn't necessarily mean your AMR tracks back all the way, but it mostly prevents the DL becoming an outlet in the first place and seems to discourage them from venturing forwards. I do it on both sides.

Make sure you switch this to man mark WBL on the rare occasions when facing wing backs.

6 hours ago, djpdavey said:

Because it increases the fullback's (or wing-back's) individual mentality. I cannot claim for sure that this TI is the specific reason for your problems with opposition WBs, just citing it as a possible one and something you need to be aware of. So if the problem persists even without the focus TI, then it's definitely about something else (or at least not only about the focus TI). 

The way I deal with aggressive fullbacks is by marking them with my wide forwards. I usually don't need to, but if I lose the midfield battle then it becomes a necessity as otherwise my flanks get overloaded.