[FM20] Iron Curtain - In hindsight everything is 2020 (Released)

On 17/02/2020 at 08:53, Reiver said:

In East Germany, any plans to have the Goldener Traktor cup?

FC An der Fahner Höhe is a merger of a bunch of teams: 

FC BLAU-WEISS DACHWIG-DÖLLSTÄDT - founded in 1999

FSV 1921 HERBSLEBEN - BSG Traktor Herbsleben

FSV 78 BURGTONNA - SG Aufbau Burgtonna

SV FORTUNA GRÄFENTONNA - No idea

SV WITTERDA - BSG Traktor Witterda.

SpVgg Geratal is a merger of:

ThSV 1886 Geschwenda - BSG Stahlbau Geschwenda

SV 08 Geraberg - BSG Chemie TW (Thermometerwerk) Geraberg

TSV 1880 Elgersburg - BSG Motor Elgersburg

FSV 06 Ohratal - BSG Aufbau Ohrdruf

Finally had time to check this and to give you a bit more information: 

The biggest team from the ones merged to create SpVgg Geratal is most likely BSG Chemie TW (Thermometerwerk) Geraberg

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 18/02/2020 at 00:52, MBarbaric said:

yugoslavia was always a quirky place :D 

It is ;) but judging by the data, they have some dedicated data people.

I am past halfway the Yugoslavia data again, so I plan to finish up and test coming weekend. It will mean I am behind on schedule because next weekend I am a weekend away, but that's life.

Besides, international competition shouldn't cost me a month, judging by the amount of work I have done on the national competition in February. Finishing up for a first release in May would be nice. Players still need to be done and that's a lot of work.

After that I think I will be preparing the data for FM21 already (and do some bug fixing if people find something). Starting in June/July with FM21 prep, instead of early January gives me a bit of a headstart :)

don't be harsh on yourself. it is your free time, your passion, I am sure you'll do best and we all appreciate it. :D 

i don't know if you have it, but I made graphics pack with quite a few old clubs badges (the most beautiful one I use as avatar :D ) from behind the courtain plus national flags.

19 hours ago, MBarbaric said:

don't be harsh on yourself. it is your free time, your passion, I am sure you'll do best and we all appreciate it. And now get to work :D 

Fixed that for you :D

I am just too much of a perfectionist and enjoying myself too much. ;) History and sports, very interesting.

I just noticed the database update is out. Will have to see what the effect is, but for now I will continue at the current version, just to be sure that I don't end up in a mess of fixes.

51 minutes ago, Wolf_pd said:

Fixed that for you :D

I am just too much of a perfectionist and enjoying myself too much. ;) History and sports, very interesting.

I just noticed the database update is out. Will have to see what the effect is, but for now I will continue at the current version, just to be sure that I don't end up in a mess of fixes.

Indeed there is an update of the database that I also download today.From what I read it has the latest transfers and also some stability fixes and so on.Also its written that there will be one more transfer update in the end of this month

1 hour ago, josuts said:

Indeed there is an update of the database that I also download today.From what I read it has the latest transfers and also some stability fixes and so on.Also its written that there will be one more transfer update in the end of this month

For now I will leave it as is. Finishing Yugoslavia and Soviet Union first, so I can finish up that part.

1 hour ago, josuts said:

Just did a quick check on the new database. It does crash the game when starting a game now, so I will need to fix them. There are about 20 of them, maybe more if new teams have been added in the nations I made extinct.

1 ora fa, Wolf_pd ha scritto:

Just did a quick check on the new database. It does crash the game when starting a game now, so I will need to fix them. There are about 20 of them, maybe more if new teams have been added in the nations I made extinct.

there's another option. just use the default database and all works.

I always did that as latest transfers are actually not why   i made the database :D  

@MBarbaric I need your help for some finishing touches for the Yugoslavia competitions. Since the 87/88 and 88/89 seasons are quite a bit different at various points, I have decided to pick the 88/89 season as my base, but not all data is clear to me.

Your FM16 rules say Yugoslavia used 12 substitutes. Is that for real?

The Second Yugoslav division will have 20 teams, instead of the 2 18-teams divisions at the second level as it was in 87/88. That was pretty much the reason for me to pick the 88/89. Not much issue here.

The Cup has 32 teams, which is based on a lot of teams trying to qualify for the first round and the division 1 teams start at this round. So that's 18 teams starting at this level and 14 trying to qualify, right? For now I have it as 14 teams from the first division qualifying, but might do a few extra qualifying rounds if I can find data on that. It is a bit odd to see 3 foreigners allowed in the cup where it is 1 at most in the championships though, but I assume that is a simple mistake.

And finally the Super Cup, wikipedia talks about a Supercup in 88/89, but nothing more than that (the finals in the 60s aren't interesting for me), so I am considering to leave it out, unless I can find data on it for the 87, 88 or 90 season.

And since Yugoslavia is now in test, it is time for the CCCP. Expect your Yugoslavia screenshots tomorrow ;) 

Edit: needed to add the 2 point rules to Yugoslavia still :mad: so restart of test after the last edit

2 ore fa, Wolf_pd ha scritto:

@MBarbaric I need your help for some finishing touches for the Yugoslavia competitions. Since the 87/88 and 88/89 seasons are quite a bit different at various points, I have decided to pick the 88/89 season as my base, but not all data is clear to me.

Your FM16 rules say Yugoslavia used 12 substitutes. Is that for real?

The Second Yugoslav division will have 20 teams, instead of the 2 18-teams divisions at the second level as it was in 87/88. That was pretty much the reason for me to pick the 88/89. Not much issue here.

The Cup has 32 teams, which is based on a lot of teams trying to qualify for the first round and the division 1 teams start at this round. So that's 18 teams starting at this level and 14 trying to qualify, right? For now I have it as 14 teams from the first division qualifying, but might do a few extra qualifying rounds if I can find data on that. It is a bit odd to see 3 foreigners allowed in the cup where it is 1 at most in the championships though, but I assume that is a simple mistake.

And finally the Super Cup, wikipedia talks about a Supercup in 88/89, but nothing more than that (the finals in the 60s aren't interesting for me), so I am considering to leave it out, unless I can find data on it for the 87, 88 or 90 season.

nono, I've put them 12. I think they used to be 5 or six but I didn't want to create the world that was stuck in 1989 so I took some liberties. Same goes for number of foreigners in the league. Historical there was minimally 1, but I am not sure if there were 2 or 3.

The Cup is completely unhistorical in my database, mainly down to my lazyness. 

In reality, they also called it the biggest cup in the world. allegedly, all teams in the country entered the cup. had no idea how that worked or if that was true or megalomania.  all clubs played normal cup system until the round of 32. At that point 16 teams (or whatever they were in the top league at the time) from the top league entered the cup.

SuperCup was indeed not played until late 80's.

Yeah, I noticed some 5000 entries in all kind of qualifying rounds, but it is nowhere clear if that is as qualifying rounds the year before (which I expect).

Funnily enough the game solved that very easily for me. I am running the test now and had to restart the game because the combination of a lot of Chrome windows, the Editor and FM20 pulled way too much memory, but when checking the cup results it seems the game picks the 18 top teams, but adds the other teams based on reputation. Essentially creating a 'random' draw. I think that will disappear later on as all higher rep teams get promoted to at least second division.

And here we go with the Yugoslavia screenshots

1388840370_Yugoslavialevel1.thumb.png.b444e674afacdfa4ceddc1dbd3e7f257.png

I finally got the ordering rules perfectly right in this version of the Yugoslav highest division. So I am happy to use these in the other nations

381087959_Yugoslavialevel2.thumb.png.8a3d439fe595f02e006608273df8cf2a.png

The second level has 4 relegation places, which later on will end up in one of the inter-republic divisions each.

1630640356_YugoslaviaCup.thumb.png.51edeeef3aa52472d3dfd39d35c1fdfe.png

The Cup has a bit of a weird thing, I have a 32 team cup where the complete first division goes in together with (now) 14 teams from the second division. However, the game doesn't seem to pick it properly. Velez Mostar in this case is actually in the first division, so why there is no L1 there?

1305157169_YugoslaviaCup2.thumb.png.38a287d595fbdeaef8973f46753214f2.png

For some reason the Croatian teams are stronger in the cups than the rest. I am unclear why exactly, except that I still have the finances on the list. Also, moving back players should help also.

4 minutes ago, Forest said:

a question of mine? will you also put the correct team in the leagues like in 1988 or 1989? 

That will be done partly, but some teams have dropped down so much that it is not possible to put them in and balance them. I have build up some ideas for player movement which will help, but I will test the result.

Also, a few teams are defunct now and putting them in, only to see them slide down the ranks again is a bit of a waste of time.

Still, feel free to ask questions and put in suggestions. You wouldn't be the first to point to something I missed. No internet in the 80s is making life difficult ;)

Oh, the joy of renaming Soviet cities :rolleyes:

It is a bit of witchcraft to read them at times, but I have settled at real renaming, like Kropyvnytskyi to Kirovohrad, but not Kirivohrad (which is Ukrainian) to Kirovograd (which is Russian). With several countries working hard on renaming projects, it is a bit of research at times. I thought I was reasonable at finding cities in Ukraine, but found out the renaming job cleared all my prior knowledge.

Anyway, Russia to do and then the city renaming is finished and I can look at the clubs (just some 3200 to check :D ). Maybe I visit the renamed cities once time more using the Russian wikipedia pages on that.

Renaming teams goes well. Teams below 1000 reputation just get a check for the right city name in the teamname. Above 1000 it is more likely to find them via Google and check for renaming. I am about halfway, even though I only started today. So that goes faster than expected. Still, the last 700 will be teamname >> Google >> Check >> Fix, so they will go slower. With some luck I finish that up next wednesday. I have a warm weekend in a tropical paradise planned :D

Another 350 teams to go and then name checking for the Soviet Union is finished. I am surprised to see so much teams I knew go out of business. Capitalism hasn't helped Soviet football....

Name changing for Soviet Union is done. Now on to reputation changes, changes to the nation and after that it is competition building time.

Since I am probably will have to work from home for a while anytime soon, it will save me a good 10-15 hours of commuting each week. And you know where those hours will be spend :D

The two top level Soviet divisions are in test, together with the Soviet Cup and Super Cup.

It is currently an autumn-spring competition, for a couple of reasons.

The seasons in the USSR varied quite considerably through the years. So while the 1988 season was a springautumn season, there was a little wrinkle to it. The Cup starts somewhere in the middle of the year, while finishing the next year. So Cup and Competition aren't played in the same SEASON... It also easier to keep the season in check compared to the other build seasons.

Anyway, hopefully not too many things to note and then I will be off building the Intertoto Cup and European Cups in Advanced Rules next. At the same time I will be digging into International Competitions. Not surprising, a lot of competitions is relatively new, so can be cut (yeah, I am kinda lazy sometimes :D )

And on to screenshots for the Soviet Union, with some good news and bad news,

Comps.thumb.png.1fc47904826fdecf88dba73cd52da109.png

As said before this would be the top 2 divisions plus the Soviet Cup and Soviet Super Cup

1219367653_Firstseason.thumb.png.7651f024c66fe85bf289f85cdc3819c4.png

When running the first season of top Soviet division, you will teams from Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Georgia, Belarus and Lithuania. And already you can see a bit of an issue. Imbalance, because of money.

242621313_Lastseason.thumb.png.cd317d72b0424c9a13c1bac0372afa5d.png

So when you look at my last season I tested, it is Russia all around, except for Shakhtar Donetsk, Torpedo Kokchetav from Kazakhstan and Dinamo Tblisi from Georgia. This will need quite some balancing. Not that I want to see the same teams pop up every game, but from the results it is clear that Republics, Oblasts or Regions would support their teams (you can still find reports about this for Russia btw). This essentially means picking teams to support and improve financially. But also add more money to teams in general. I will not do any balancing before I have the European Cups running again AND done some player moving. Otherwise I end up doing the balancing twice.

2123230730_USSR1.thumb.png.5286dcbbcd6d3b278b0a731e92d35910.png

Still, in terms of competition it is not a one-team race, with 6 teams winning a championship in the period. One of the more competitive championships if you ask me.

2049274563_Level2.thumb.png.d52545f26ad535a49c5ba3aaad13ce29.png

And finally the second level where you can see slightly more mixing of the various republics (and a typo ;) ). It is not a bad start, but the Soviet Union will still need some work

And on to the International Competitions we go!

Luckily that is mostly research (fun! Yes, I am serious!) and a LOT LESS datawork, so most of it will be editing/testing/editing/testing/editing/testing.

Worth to mention, I checked on the names that were created and check them against City of Birth and region. As I found out, many cities don't have a language set, nor do much of the Local Regions, so you are seeing quite a bit of Russian names for non-Russian players. Adding Languages to Cities and Local Regions is also on the list to work out. That will be a bit more time consuming, but is part of the detailing work. I could see the difference of having or not having languages in Yugoslavia, so it is high on my list.

19 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

And on to screenshots for the Soviet Union, with some good news and bad news,

As said before this would be the top 2 divisions plus the Soviet Cup and Soviet Super Cup

When running the first season of top Soviet division, you will teams from Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Georgia, Belarus and Lithuania. And already you can see a bit of an issue. Imbalance, because of money.

So when you look at my last season I tested, it is Russia all around, except for Shakhtar Donetsk, Torpedo Kokchetav from Kazakhstan and Dinamo Tblisi from Georgia. This will need quite some balancing. Not that I want to see the same teams pop up every game, but from the results it is clear that Republics, Oblasts or Regions would support their teams (you can still find reports about this for Russia btw). This essentially means picking teams to support and improve financially. But also add more money to teams in general. I will not do any balancing before I have the European Cups running again AND done some player moving. Otherwise I end up doing the balancing twice.

Still, in terms of competition it is not a one-team race, with 6 teams winning a championship in the period. One of the more competitive championships if you ask me.

And finally the second level where you can see slightly more mixing of the various republics (and a typo ;) ). It is not a bad start, but the Soviet Union will still need some work

And on to the International Competitions we go!

Luckily that is mostly research (fun! Yes, I am serious!) and a LOT LESS datawork, so most of it will be editing/testing/editing/testing/editing/testing.

And then I realised I didn't put in the two points rule in the Soviet Union

:ackter:

So I have been busy working out the details for the World Cup rebuild based on the 1990 WC qualification and that's a bit of a puzzle. And before you wonder, yeah, I am bit focused on detail :D

The division is 1 host, 1 former winner, 13 UEFA teams, 2 AFC teams, 2 CAF teams, 0 OFC teams, 2 CONCACAF teams, 3 CONMEBOL teams

UEFA and CONMEBOL both have an extra team. UEFA for host Italy and CONMEBOL for previous winner Argentina.

So I decided to edit that a bit, to make for (slightly) easier qualifying.

UEFA is set to 12, which needs me 6 pools of teams where winner and runner up qualify. Only annoying thing is the editor wants the same amount of teams per pools. So maybe Liechtenstein, Andorra and San Marino can help out ;)

AFC stays at 2. They work with 6 pools where the winner qualifies for the final group. 2 teams of that final group qualify. I have 38 teams (actually 39 if you realize at the time there was a North-Yemen and aSouth-Yemen!!), so either I end up with uneven pools as in the UEFA qualifying (unlikely due to editor) or a few teams are unlucky here. Still dropping a team like Bhutan isn't that hard.

CAF stays at 2 and is similar to AFC, although I will have work out how to add a few more teams than the 26 that took part in the 1990 WC qualification. Also, I need to remove quite a few nations there, but that will also mean other competition will break, so I will probably only leave these nations out of qualifications

Conmebol is a bit of an oddball. They play around a bit with 2 or 3 pools, depending if they have a host or WC winner in their midst. Eventually they went with a 1 pool solution during the 1998 qualification. Pretty sure that is going to be my solution as well. Either way, they will probably have 3 or 4 qualifiers, depending if I can work out the host properly.

OFC is a MESS. 5 teams in the 1990 qualification, one at that moment not even attached to ANY confederation (Israel), Taiwan from the time they weren't wanted in AFC and then Fiji, New Zealand and Australia. And yes, I am working on putting Australia back into the OFC ;) As if noone wanted to qualify there.... So those teams will be replaced and OFC qualification will become different, probably with a pre-qualification tournament. Either the Pacific Games or the OFC Olympic Games qualification have something similar. But OFC will have 1 (ONE) team permanently qualifying.

And then there is CONCACAF. The CONCACAF Championship was a Pentagonal (5 instead of the 6 in the Hexagonal) which isn't so hard, but WHY no host for the Final round....? With just 16 teams taking part in qualification this one will need some work as well. Besides that, the Nation League is now used for Qualification and that's going to be thrown out anyway. So it might be a bit of a mix between Gold Cup qualification and my own imagniation ;) Concacaf will have two teams qualifying as well.

Working out the host will be a bit of challenge, so if anyone can point me to a decent example, let me know.

Don't be so hard on yourself. There is a 30 years gap between the original rules and current date. I think you are absolutely allowed to create qualifications with an aim to make it easier on yourself at expense of real rules that were implemented at that period. On one side, because anything could have happened and rules would change (the whole premisse of the DB is "what if"), on the other hand - for practicality. You don't want to complicate the whole process more than needed as anything might create problems within editor.

Lol, that's just the perfectionist talking in my sleep ;) The problem is that I see way too much things where I think, oh yeah, that would cool as well :D

Anyway, I am pretty sure I worked it out now and all the research will help me go through the steps quicker.

Tomorrow I will test out a few things and then wednesday night the World Cup should be in test.

I love working from home :D

After some testing, Australia will remain in AFC, for now. That might be an expansion change or an FM21 change, because it will need a lot of rebuilding comeptitions.m while most of it isn't even part of the Iron Curtain changes.

I won't remove Namibia, Eritrea and South Sudan for the moment either, nor Palestine and East Timor, or Bonaire.

But World Cup is in build!

I am currently also looking into a 'clean up' of international competitions. That might become part of the expansion or FM21 though. Research is a lot of fun though!

I am noticing though quite a few tournaments are active again, but never showed in the Tournament overview for the continent. That might also mean a rebuild, but hey, the month of March is Quarantaine month, so enough time anyway.

World Cup and qualifiers are done. No screenshots this time, but I am working hard setting up the Continental championships right now.

Since I am messing up the whole calender and building a completely new one, I am taking a look at the Continental Club Competitions as well. This will have advantages and disadvantages,

Advantages, all competitions are aligned date-wise.

Disadvantages, quite some rebuild (but it is worth it!)

On the other hand, if I start with the FM21 version in 2021 I still have time ;)

In the meantime, the European Championship (it will be played in 2020!!), the Asian Nations Cup, the Copa America and CONCACAF Championship (predecessor of the Gold Cup) all have been rebuild in 1988 style.

Tomorrow I hope to finish the African Cup of Nations and the OFC Nations Cup. After that it is checking which other competitions need a rebuild to have everything fit in the schedule.

I removing and reviving several competitions so adding history might be a point for the to do list as well.

I am not yet testing. I will do so in the weekend. But that doesn't mean I can't share a screenshot.

This time from the editor

Comps.thumb.png.81526efd5fc1ceda7ae154512cd71aff.png

We have the World Cup with 5 corresponding World Cup Continental Qualifiers. Why 5. and not 6 you ask? Because one of the Continental Championships also poses as a World Cup Qualifier.

Then there are the 6 Continental Championships, the European Football Championship, the Asian Nations Cup, Copa America, African Cup of Nations and Oceania Nations Cup are all known. The North American Championship is a 'new' one. Well, actually, it is revived as it was the predecessor of the CONCACAF Gold Cup. And the NA Championship also doubles as the CONCACAF World Championship Qualifier.

Each Continental Championship obviously has its own qualifier, except for the Copa America, which doesn't need one.

New are the Melanesia and Polynesia Cups which in earlier days were qualifiers for the Oceania Nations Cup.

Still to be added:

Olympic Games and the Qualifiers for it

The various U17, U18, U19, U20, U21, U22 and U23 championship (I think I have them all now, right??)

But first..... I need to work on Continental Club Championships!!! And luckily Europe is already done and South America is already planned out.

I have spend the weekend working on the planning of the continental club championship and scrapped quite a few of them. 

Also checked out all the testwork after the major build for the world and continental championships. Only one championship is currently failing me, the African Cup of Nations, but the rest is working.

Except for that same pesky bug that is bothering me in the European Cups as well (where losing teams from previous rounds still go through to the next round).

I expect to be a bit more quiet the coming weeks. I am still building, but with Corona and everything the motivation and fun is a bit hard to find.

I am looking to add the Balkans Cup and Mitropa Cup to the European Club Competitions, as a fifth and sixth option (Intertot is 4th).

Kinda little fun competition.

Actually not that much of an issue. Where the playing calenders were wildly inconsistent in 1988, the editor prefers a more rigid planning. So I created a 4 year calender and have everything planned out

Yeah, I know :D

But since the teams in the Mitropa and Balkans Cup are not in other European there is not really fixture congestion.

Infantino should hire me!

I had a release data in mind but with Corona things have gone upside down. Both physical and motivational I have some trouble keeping going.

I will release, but can't say when.

At least I can say this weekend have been good to work at stuff.

2 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

I had a release data in mind but with Corona things have gone upside down. Both physical and motivational I have some trouble keeping going.

Ok, excited about the release. I had an amazing save a few years back with this mod. Played with Hajduk. Used their old logo and it was great.

6 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

Hey Bro Can You Do Alternate Reality On FM 20