Who is afraid of the advanced rules?

KUBI

On 29/08/2020 at 07:31, DJ Sir Matthew said:

Ok, just double checked it and you are right, it is the Euro Teams that is currently being used, my bad. 

So are you saying that you can't use "start year" and "end year" to limit a set of rules to one season for example but you have to program it through "valid years"? And how do you limit a set of rules to 1 season via "valid years" because I don't see that option within 'valid years'?

You can do both. If you want a specific version of a competition to run in 1 year you can set the competition to run when a league has a certain number of teams in it. For example one set of Carabao Cup rules will only run when there are 23 teams in League One (to account for the fact that Bury were expelled so there would be only 91 teams in the EFL that year).

You can still use start and end years to choose when competitions start and end in-game, but apparently the valid years setting overrides this when it's in operation. This was something I didn't know before I started poking around in the Belgian rules but I guess it makes sense.

I don't know what the Belgian rules you're trying to create are, but if the league is only going to have 18 teams in for 1 year then I would programme it using the valid years setting. Otherwise I would use start and end years.

1 minute ago, Unknown Hacker said:

You can do both. If you want a specific version of a competition to run in 1 year you can set the competition to run when a league has a certain number of teams in it. For example one set of Carabao Cup rules will only run when there are 23 teams in League One (to account for the fact that Bury were expelled so there would be only 91 teams in the EFL that year).

You can still use start and end years to choose when competitions start and end in-game, but apparently the valid years setting overrides this when it's in operation. This was something I didn't know before I started poking around in the Belgian rules but I guess it makes sense.

I don't know what the Belgian rules you're trying to create are, but if the league is only going to have 18 teams in for 1 year then I would programme it using the valid years setting. Otherwise I would use start and end years.

These are the "rules" (it's amazing...)

20-21 : Jupiler Pro League : 18 teams / 1 relegation spot, 1 in relegation playoff with 2nd placed in Proximus / 4 in championship group, 4 in european places

Proximus League : 8 teams of which 1 U23-team , 1 direct promotion, 1 in Jupiler relegation playoff, no more periods only a straight out league with 4 rounds

21-22 : Jupiler Pro League: 18 teams / 3 relegation spots, 1 in relegation playoff with 2nd placed in Proximus / 4 in championship group, 4 in european places

Proximus Leage: 8 teams, no more U23-team, 1 direct promotion, 1 in Jupiler relegation playoff, no more periods only a straight out league with 4 rounds

22-23 and further : Jupiler Pro League : 16 teams / 1 relegation spot, 1 in relegation playoff with 2nd placed / 6 in championship, european places as before but instead of loser promotion cup Proximus as before it is now the winner of the relegation playoff

Proximus: 8 teams, no more U23-team, 1 direct promotion, 1 in Jupiler relegation playoff, no more periods only a straight out league with 4 round

I would be excited if all rules would work except the U23 team, I can live with that. Unless it's possible to create a team that will only "live" for 1 season in the game for example as I think it's impossible to implement a rotation relegation/promotion with the youth league for example (which is U21 in the game btw)

2 hours ago, DJ Sir Matthew said:

20-21 : Jupiler Pro League : 18 teams / 1 relegation spot, 1 in relegation playoff with 2nd placed in Proximus / 4 in championship group, 4 in european places

Proximus League : 8 teams of which 1 U23-team , 1 direct promotion, 1 in Jupiler relegation playoff, no more periods only a straight out league with 4 rounds

21-22 : Jupiler Pro League: 18 teams / 3 relegation spots, 1 in relegation playoff with 2nd placed in Proximus / 4 in championship group, 4 in european places

Proximus Leage: 8 teams, no more U23-team, 1 direct promotion, 1 in Jupiler relegation playoff, no more periods only a straight out league with 4 rounds

22-23 and further : Jupiler Pro League : 16 teams / 1 relegation spot, 1 in relegation playoff with 2nd placed / 6 in championship, european places as before but instead of loser promotion cup Proximus as before it is now the winner of the relegation playoff

Proximus: 8 teams, no more U23-team, 1 direct promotion, 1 in Jupiler relegation playoff, no more periods only a straight out league with 4 round

I would be excited if all rules would work except the U23 team, I can live with that. Unless it's possible to create a team that will only "live" for 1 season in the game for example as I think it's impossible to implement a rotation relegation/promotion with the youth league for example (which is U21 in the game btw)

I tested a bit with advanced with a (admittedly much simpler) competition where teams were moving in and out. Adding a team for just one year is possible.

I am prodding around in those playoffs, but those are making my life hard (or maybe that is the teamday we had yesterday....).

5 hours ago, DJ Sir Matthew said:

What do you mean by "european places as before but instead of loser promotion cup" with regard to the 22/23 rules?

Also, how does the European places playoff work now? Do those 4 teams simply play home and away matches with the top team playing off against the bottom team in the Champions playoff Given that Belgium has 5 European places and it's very likely that things will stay that way I would be tempted to just have a Champions group and a European places group in the league, with no playoff between them at all. You can then try and bring back the playoff when there are 6 teams in the top group. It's not a perfect solution but it would make your life easier.

In order to create a team that only lives for one year, perhaps there's an expulsion setting in the advanced rules that can do it? I've only used this before with cup competitions.

A simple option is to give them a massive points deduction so they take up the relegation spot. You could then have a rule in the division below stating that B teams cannot be promoted, and then they will never reappear in the second tier.

3 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

I tested a bit with advanced with a (admittedly much simpler) competition where teams were moving in and out. Adding a team for just one year is possible.

I am prodding around in those playoffs, but those are making my life hard (or maybe that is the teamday we had yesterday....).

Which competition were you editing? It's pretty easy to do in closed leagues with no promotion/relegation. Doing it in such a league requires a bit more thought but should be doable.

5 minutes ago, Unknown Hacker said:

Which competition were you editing? It's pretty easy to do in closed leagues with no promotion/relegation. Doing it in such a league requires a bit more thought but should be doable.

I used the German Bundesliga competition, but just a very basic version to help someone out with a question  I got.

The playoffs are the Belgian ones and those are tricky.

1 hour ago, Wolf_pd said:

I used the German Bundesliga competition, but just a very basic version to help someone out with a question  I got.

The playoffs are the Belgian ones and those are tricky.

Ahh interesting.

I think the main issue with the Belgian league seems to be replicating the template that is found in the initial league rules. It's definitely complicated with lots of room to slip up.

14 hours ago, Unknown Hacker said:

What do you mean by "european places as before but instead of loser promotion cup" with regard to the 22/23 rules?

Also, how does the European places playoff work now? Do those 4 teams simply play home and away matches with the top team playing off against the bottom team in the Champions playoff Given that Belgium has 5 European places and it's very likely that things will stay that way I would be tempted to just have a Champions group and a European places group in the league, with no playoff between them at all. You can then try and bring back the playoff when there are 6 teams in the top group. It's not a perfect solution but it would make your life easier.

In order to create a team that only lives for one year, perhaps there's an expulsion setting in the advanced rules that can do it? I've only used this before with cup competitions.

A simple option is to give them a massive points deduction so they take up the relegation spot. You could then have a rule in the division below stating that B teams cannot be promoted, and then they will never reappear in the second tier.

Until last yeay, Play-off 2 (or European Places as called on FM) drew the following teams for the 2 groups:

Nr 7 upto nr 16 Jupiler League - 1A (including the relegated team)
Nr 1 upto nr 6 Proximus League - 1B
Total = 16 teams
4 groups of 4 teams
Group games are played in 2 rounds
Semi-finals: 4 group winners (home & away)
Final against nr 4 of championship play-off (home&away)

I thought it changed in 22/23, but apparently it didn't. At least not yet.

So before, and from 22/23, the winner of the final plays against nr 4 of the championship play-off for the last european ticket. But in season 20/21 and 21/22 there are only 4 teams in championship play-off, so they get the 4 tickets and the winner of european places gets the last european league ticket. It's unclear what the rules are for the winner of the Cup and how tickets are handled but I suppose (hope) that hasn't changed.

Regarding the B team, putting them in the lower division isn't really the solution I'm looking for. Apparently it's possible to expell teams for a competition but I wonder where FM would put the team then. Definitely one of the fun things to look at :)

21 hours ago, DJ Sir Matthew said:

After re-reading the rules and such, I found 1 mistake above in the season 21-22 there are 3 straight relegations from Jupiler Pro League and only 1 direct promotion from Proximus. So no relegation play-off that year.

So in short, what are the changes to be implemented:

19-20:

Jupiler Pro League : no play-offs, just regular 30 match season (actually 29), european tickets based on ranking league. No relegation, 2 promotions (Beerschot & OH Leuven) from Poximus to Jupiler Pro League to make it 18 teams next season. 

Proximus League: 2 promotions to Jupiler Pro League, 1 relegation (KSV Roeselare) to 1e Amateur (now called 1e Nationale), 1 relegation (Virton) to 2e Amateur, 1 team bankrupt (Lokeren) and merged with another team (to become Lokeren-Temse) to 2e Amateur. So from original 8 teams, only 3 play in Proximus League in 20-21. To have 8 teams, 4 are promoted from 1e amateur (RWD Molenbeek, Seraing, Deinze and 13th finished Lierse Kempenzonen) as only 4 requested and recieved the license for Professional football. The final spot is given to Club Brugge NXT (U-23) for 1 season only. (although the teams are pushing to have more U-23 teams to play at 2nd tier)

20-21:

Jupiler Pro League: 18 teams, 2 rounds. First 4 play Championship League, all get European tickets (depending on cup result). Number 5 to 8 play European Places Playoff for final European Ticket. 1 direct relegation to Proximus League, second last team plays relegation vs 2nd team of Proximus (home&away)

Proximus League: no periods, just regular league in 4 rounds. 1 direct promotion to Jupiler Pro League, 2nd highest plays vs second last for possible promotion. 1 direct relegation (no more relegation-play-off)

21-22:

Jupiler Pro League: 18 teams, 2 rounds, first 4 championship league, 5 to 8 European Places, 3 direct relegations

Proximus League: 8 teams, 4 rounds, 1 direct promotion, 1 direct relegation

22-23:

Jupiler Pro League: as implemented on FM

Proximus League: as implemented on FM

Edited by DJ Sir Matthew

• 5 months later...

I've just spent 12 hours building my anglo-scottish database in advanced editor rules using the new update and yet again I get an error message like people were getting when game was originally released in November that was fixed in earlier updated

Message I get is about club world championship that is set with 2 teams in database but game is still looking for the 7 teams that should be in it

Seems they fix one thing then do update and break it again but don't check the original fix still works 

And if previous years are anything to go by they won't fix it now so there goes trying to play with custom database

Edited by MUFC_4ndy

to the OP there is nothing to really be afraid of with advanced rules been using them for years, however there are so many bugs/issues so what is the point in wasting time doing projects using AR

hopefully the latest patch has addressed the issues but there still seems to be problems around I will give it another month before I decide if once again it is worth doing what I bought the product for...nearly 3 months ago

• 3 years later...

I want to set new European club competitions, that is required to go to advanced Editor.

For me, the Advanced Editor is this horrid and confusing monster, that I have yet to beat.

Anyway, I want the loosing teams from the first Qualifying round of Champions League getting qualify for the Conference League.

How do I do that?