Tactics Page: Picking Players Between Matches

Does it matter the selection of players in the Tactics page formation *between* matches, or should I have the ideal squad already set days in advance of the upcoming match?

Any idea on how the Tactics page interface with training before next match? I wonder if players are over or under used if they are selected in the formation map (Tactics page)...

I aim to pretty well select my starting XI at least by the time the pre match briefing comes around, that way the players are receiving their full instructions in advance. In practice though I don't know if it makes any difference, can't say I've observed any issues from doing it last minute?

There's no direct effect from having any given group of players selected as the First Team between matches -- no changes in team morale or player happiness.  However, I always select the actual starting lineup just before the Pre-Match Briefing for two reasons.  First. I want them to benefit from the morale boost I can usually generate in the briefing.  And, second, I generally schedule our Reserve matches the day after the First Team game.  Since I usually maintain a large roster, I like to make the non=playing Senior squaddies available for the Reserve game.  So I need to know who's playing and who's not playing in the Senior match when the AM asks me whom to make available for the Reserve game.  And this happens about the time of the Pre-Match Briefing.

6 hours ago, AytchMan said:

I always select the actual starting lineup just before the Pre-Match Briefing for two reasons.  First. I want them to benefit from the morale boost I can usually generate in the briefing.

Is this a thing? Does it also happen if the Ass Man deals with it?

I always delegate to the Ass Man and don't bother picking my squad until right before the game and have the slots all vacant until then incase I accidentally click to far and go to the match with the wrong team selected.

Have I been missing a trick?

I raised this in the tactics forum as I was conducting the pre-match briefing with all slots vacant and was getting no reaction from the squad. Then @zlatanera advised me that you need players in positions to get any benefit. Now I get (mostly) positive reactions when I select various options during the briefing.

I created a couple of line-ups on the 'quick pick' menu on the Squad screen, then select one or the other just before the tactical brief depending on my next opponent.

19 minutes ago, Peter Morgan said:

I raised this in the tactics forum as I was conducting the pre-match briefing with all slots vacant and was getting no reaction from the squad. Then @zlatanera advised me that you need players in positions to get any benefit. Now I get (mostly) positive reactions when I select various options during the briefing.

I created a couple of line-ups on the 'quick pick' menu on the Squad screen, then select one or the other just before the tactical brief depending on my next opponent.

So will it still work if I pick the squad but still hand it over to Ass Man to give briefing? Theoretically? 

Thanks for the suggestion. Please note that my question is not about who picks players (Ass Coach or me) but *when* they should be picked: right before the match (or briefing) or always have the right XI selected in Tactics... Cheers,

I do it when I get the Scout and Data report on next opposition - that's when I am planning the team and the tactic to use. I also sometimes shuffle players around when I get the youth team coach asking for players that are available.