The Charlton Athletic Thread: Season 04/05

FMaddick

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scoham:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sheer Class:

No doubt Yakubu will be added to that list as well icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably, but don't you want around £10m for him? Maybe you will go down and we will get him for £4m + Fish and Lisbie icon_wink.gif

No one will surely be stupid enough to pay £1-2m for Lisbie would they icon_biggrin.gif

Riordan is amazing in the FM data update, is Vassell good enough to get at least 10 goals every season?

Can't imagine us signing someone like Kluivert, but them everyone would say that about Di Canio. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Due to Yak's mysterious lack of effort I doubt we will get anywhere near £10m unless Chelsea come calling. I am just praying that Yakubu will be sutiably impressed by Perrin and decide to stay.

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sivy:

just saw this on skysports.com

they've done a list of subs that have had positive impact on games. at the end it says this....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A special mention most also be made for Charlton Athletic's Jason Euell, who has failed to alter the destination of any Premiership points in each of his 15 substitute appearances this season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

why didn't we sell him to palace again? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's done nothing, we should have sold him, I was saying it at the time as were others and now surely curbs must be thinking in hindsight

TBH, that stat is wrong though

He came on while it was 1-1 at home to Liverpool, then we lost, and a couple of other matches of which I think we won 1!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sivy:

looks like Curbs is going with Lisble and Jeffers up front against Bolton. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just hope they both work hard, we know Lisbie is generally lazy and I've heard Jeffers doesn't look bothered when he plays in the reserves.

Our reserves played their last game of the season Thursday night, lost 3-0 away at Ipswich. It was mostly the u18s playing, Mark Robson came on as a sub though icon_cool.gif

he's on a 3 match ban at the moment (3rd match being this Saturday) after he was sent off in the west brom game for a two-footed challenge.

but before that he has play quite regularly, 27 starts and a few as a sub.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scoham:

looks like Curbs is going with Lisble and Jeffers up front against Bolton. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just hope they both work hard, we know Lisbie is generally lazy and I've heard Jeffers doesn't look bothered when he plays in the reserves.

Our reserves played their last game of the season Thursday night, lost 3-0 away at Ipswich. It was mostly the u18s playing, Mark Robson came on as a sub though icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How old is he now? icon_biggrin.gif

Shame we lost but it doesn't matter anymore as reflected in team selection

If Lisbie and Franny can't play well, who is there to come on as a sub

Euell I suppose, could be his big chance!

Lisandro Lopez looks set to join Porto for £2.7m

i wonder if we were interested in him like reports suggested? and if so, why we didn't try to sign him in the winter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If we were interested, surely we could have afforded £2.7m icon_confused.gif

yep, and the fact that he's going to Porto now must mean he is good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's intersting logic icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedRob:

Great to see Jeffers getting a start icon14.gif

And another goal coming from a Murphy free kick icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm delighted he's starting, though not alot of choice for Curbs, hopefully it will work for him in a 4-5-1 wtih Romm and Thomas making forward runs

Konchesky at Right back, that's a new one icon_biggrin.gif

I don't think that was forceful eough actually.

He's perfect for us - strong, good in the air, can dribble, and can score. Look how well hes done for Norwich in such a short space of time. 5 goals in 11 games. Bartlett has 6 in 24 games icon_biggrin.gif

We really should've gone for him in January, we had the money.

In the summer I think we should sell

Fish - probably for free, but it'll get him off the wage bill

Euell- 2m (nowhere near the player he was 2 years ago, and that wasn't that great)

Jeffers - 1.5m (not really fitted in, and he'll be on quite a big wage)

Rommedahl - 1m (he's too lightweight, and not effective enough. With 1 up front the 2 wingers need to be supporting teh striker regularly, which he just doesn't do. )

Now that's about 4.5m, add the 3m we had to spend in the summer, and maybe 2m available in the summer, and we could have 7-8m or so to spend (we wouldn't get all the transfer fees to spend)

Coming in i'd like to see -

1. Ashton (perfect for us, we have to go for the guy IMO)

2. A right winger - any ideas?

3. MC - A hardworking midfielder to play in the midfield 3 with Murphy and Holland. Parker would be absolutely perfect for that (dreamworld unfortunately icon_frown.gif )

TBH i don't really care that much we lost, I could have predicted as soon as Diouf came on he'd score, I'm looking to the summer now

Parker would be brilliant and just the player we need, but like you say almost impossible

I would like Franny to stay, partly because he hasn't had much of a chance, and I think him and Romm will stay, even though I'd sell all the players you mentioned except Franny

Never mind icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedRob:

What a load of **** icon_frown.gif

I don't care even if we score now - which we certainly won't, because we've been **** icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was you posting that from your wireless laptop from inside the ground? No, so shut up

WTF. No I wasn't at the ground, but I was listening, and we weren't going to score, unless the commentators were completely lying and infact it was a spectacular performance.

We've been bad the last couple of games now, and Bolton were better than us.

I was annoyed at another slump which is just getting so infuriatingly reptitive.

I would love to be at the game, i've had a season ticket for 4 years previously, which also included at least 1/2 of the away matches, but don't have one this year because i've been travelling for the majority of it. I now don't have the money to go.

So why don't you 'shut up' icon_smile.gif

guys you are letting the frustration get to you! icon_smile.gif

anyway, AGAIN we were unlucky, we threw everything at bolton but nothing happened, the ref mugged us again, and i stress AGAIN icon_mad.gif we put in a good performance today, but we are hard done by.

and i hate the fact that some supporters have been giving curbs stick. he is the best manager we have had since ol' Jimmy Seed in the good ol' days of yonder. Now Allardyce is stirring the **** by telling curbs to leave us. if he does go it will be the idiot supporters who moan about him who push him out.

It will be a dark day when Sir Alan leaves...

That was one of Rommedahls best games, he was showing why we bought him.

Its annoying yes but people aren't going to stop suggesting 'Curbs out', they want to blame someone. Most of the time they can't suggest anyone that would do any better.

Agree about the ref, he was too fussy about every tackle, especially in the first half.

Its a shame Fuller didn't come on, he's played right back as well as defensive midfield for the reserves, and is their captain. Seriously what do we get out of seeing Kish play right back or Euell in centre midfield?

Definately agree about Curbs, giving him stick is ridiculous, and the day he leaves a big part of what makes us who we are leaves as well.

And yep, seems I overreacted a little icon_smile.gif And speaking to my brother he was raving about rommedahl and ranting about the ref.

What I think is certainly n suprise is how suspect we've been in defense these 3 1/2 games since tala was sent off. IMO that's the biggest factor in our recent lossses.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by atvkwkad:

What on earth happens to Charlton in the last 7 or 8 games every season?? icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>icon_biggrin.gif isnt it fffb Come june you look at your teams fixtures see charlton near end of season and think icon_biggrin.gif 3 points there then

WTF. No I wasn't at the ground, but I was listening, and we weren't going to score, unless the commentators were completely lying and infact it was a spectacular performance.

We've been bad the last couple of games now, and Bolton were better than us.

I was annoyed at another slump which is just getting so infuriatingly reptitive.

I would love to be at the game, i've had a season ticket for 4 years previously, which also included at least 1/2 of the away matches, but don't have one this year because i've been travelling for the majority of it. I now don't have the money to go.

So why don't you 'shut up' icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok that is complete rubbish. We did look likely to score, created lots of chances just didnt get the rub of the green. Rommadahl actually played good, and Jeffers looked execellent. It was just the refs performance that ruined it. Would of definatly got something out of it if it hadnt been for the ref

And Im happy you have had a season ticket for 4 of our most succesful seasons, in fact I probably saw you at Grimsby away in 1996 on that freezing cold Tuesday evening aswell didnt I

No I wouldn't have been there, as being 10 without another family memeber supporting charlton I wasn't in the best position to get there icon_smile.gif But i've been a charlton fan for a long time, and would certainly have loved to be watching them then, as only getting to 3/4 games a season wasn't great icon_smile.gif

And ok, yes it wasn't a terrible performance, and if it had been a draw I don't think Bolton could've had too many arguments. But yeah, ok, it's all the refs fault icon14.gif

yeah i have no idea why Konchesky was picked to play right back. icon_confused.gif

i definitely agree that Talal El Karkouri is a huge part of our team, without him our defence has looked [Alan Hansen]shocking[/Alan Hansen]

now our season is not over, we have got Talal back for our away fixture against the Villa which now is a must-win game. we have dropped to 10th and its now time to look behind us which we shouldnt have to do. but its part of the give really. the next game after that is Norwich away, again a must-win. (we could relegate them), the next 2 games against Man Utd and Chelsea I can't see us getting much out of them, but then icon_biggrin.gif it's out final game against the Crystal Palace from down yonder road. IMO It would be perfect if this scenario occured (sp?):

* Charlton have to win to get into Europe

* Palace have to win to stay up

Then we would whip Palace and kick them down to where they belong and get into Europe!!

Come on guys! The dream is never over!!

Seriously though we get a load of poor decisions from the ref every game. Still the players need to sort things out. Playing with 1 striker is fine, but our midfield don't get into the box, so if Jeffers or Bartlett isn't there, no one is, occasionally you might get Hughes there but its not enough. The wingers need to start getting into the box, Thomas and Rommedahl should be winning penalties and setting up the striker and the other midielders.

Konchesky is banned now, but we have El Karkouri back. Guess it means again the reserve was on the bench because of injuries, we could save a lot of money if a few of them are good enough. Looks as if Euell and Fish are prefered instead though.

THat's exactly it scoham, when I said sell Rommedahl, it had nothing to do with how he played against Bolton (which by all acounts was his best games in a charlton shirt) but it's simply to do with the fact taht his performances have not fit in with what a winger playing in a 4-5-1/4-3-3 needs to be doing to support the striker. BUt in all honesty Thomas hasn't been doing a lot of that either.

If we are to continue with this system - which I certainly think we should then the midfield (including the wingers) have to be running into the box and supporting MUCH more often. Just getting the ball and booting it high into jeffers just won't work.

At least one of the midfield 3 needs to be bombing into the box, lurking around the edge to pick up balls, something which \Parker was excellent at. Murphy has more of a free role, and normally Holland is along side him, who is really more of a defensive type. A Parker tyep player who is strong in the tackle but also very good at distributing, dribbling, and arriving late is essential in the midfield 3, and at the moment we don't have someone doing that.

The wingers are also proving troublesome. THey just aren't getting into teh box enough, or cuttiong inside and supporting teh lone froint man, which is what they should be doing. On some attacks that three should be a trident coming into the box, instead of sitting out wide.

Seriously though we get a load of poor decisions from the ref every game. Still the players need to sort things out. Playing with 1 striker is fine, but our midfield don't get into the box, so if Jeffers or Bartlett isn't there, no one is, occasionally you might get Hughes there but its not enough. The wingers need to start getting into the box, Thomas and Rommedahl should be winning penalties and setting up the striker and the other midielders.

Konchesky is banned now, but we have El Karkouri back. Guess it means again the reserve was on the bench because of injuries, we could save a lot of money if a few of them are good enough. Looks as if Euell and Fish are prefered instead though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah it sickens me really, as said players Euell and Fishy have been given many many chances to prove they are good enough but have failed. why don;t we show the same faith in our youngsters? Let's give them a chance, it will save us money. And about the ref, I have not seen a good ref yet this year. every game we play the ref seems to think that we are all there just to watch him! Bring back Jeff Winter. Bring in Collina. and let them ref every Charlton game, PLEASE.

We have not had a penalty yet this season. Palace have had 10. What is going on?

the Charlton I know never give up, the fans are great and everyone loves everyone. now there are some fans who seem to forget our history and what Curbs has done for us. I remember the dark days (Scoham you probably remember the even darker days when we were 1 minute from extinction) when we were 21st in the table playing Port Vale and Swindon every week. Now we have got a team who are in the top half of the Premiership every year, and for some fans it's not enough.

Curbs will go soon because although he loves the club with all he has got, he may feel a bit betrayed if some supporters do not repay that passion/faith. I know what would happen if he went, we would get a John Gregory style manager in and get relegated. I would prefer a coach to take over, Keithy Peacock, Good ol' Merv, Glynn Snodin they would be better.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Scoham you probably remember the even darker days when we were 1 minute from extinction </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really, not old enough. First went just under 10 years ago.

We never get into the position to win penalties, Johnson at Palace does. Sometimes you look at Jeffers or Rommedahl when they are in the box, maybe they try too hard to stay on their feet? I saw the Palace highlights and Johnson looked as if he was trying to get a penalty about 4 times.

Does anyone ever see Welling play icon_biggrin.gif I saw in the program Sodje (16/17 year old striker, physically up to it though it sounds like) is doing playing experiance there, and scored on his debut. If he's any good I guess he'll have to wait until he is 20 until he plays in the first team.

One good thing though, we left Rommedahl forward when we defended a corner! It nearly worked a couple of times as well. I hope we keep doing that, the top teams usually leave 2 forward.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Scoham you probably remember the even darker days when we were 1 minute from extinction </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really, not old enough. First went just under 10 years ago.

We never get into the position to win penalties, Johnson at Palace does. Sometimes you look at Jeffers or Rommedahl when they are in the box, maybe they try too hard to stay on their feet? I saw the Palace highlights and Johnson looked as if he was trying to get a penalty about 4 times.

Does anyone ever see Welling play icon_biggrin.gif I saw in the program Sodje (16/17 year old striker, physically up to it though it sounds like) is doing playing experiance there, and scored on his debut. If he's any good I guess he'll have to wait until he is 20 until he plays in the first team.

One good thing though, we left Rommedahl forward when we defended a corner! It nearly worked a couple of times as well. I hope we keep doing that, the top teams usually leave 2 forward. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im only 21 but remember going to the ground to clear the pitch of rubbish before the pompy game.

Welling are rubbish, the whole team, first, youth, everything. The whole club is run by morons who want to act like they are big time.

Erith and Belvadere who play at there ground now are better and run by a better group of people

what is wrong with HH at the moment?

why is he trying to lose us games?

i was in the east stand so i was scratching my head when ref gave a penalty. but then when i watched the game on MOTD you could see it was a deliberate hand ball.

still, it was good to see Dennis playing well and Jeffers getting on the score sheet.

Just thought i'd add my contribution from the 'who would you like at you club next year' thread

Out

Johansson - what does he do?

Rommedahl - see above

Jeffers - see above

Fish - see above, add ****

Euell - see above, add wants to leave

In

Parker - i'm dreaming tbh

Ashton - see above

A creative midfielder who isn't afraid of a tackle

A powerful striker

A right winger who actually does something

In a dream world i'd probably get rid of lisbie as well, but it's very unlikely such a vast squad change would occur, which is probably sensible.

Out:

Lisbie

Fish

Euell

Johansson

Rommedahl

Possible Replacements

raid the relegated teams

On MOTD this week, all the following looked good prospects

Ashton

Francis

Henri Camara

If we could stump up the cash, Simon Davies and Robbie Keane, £10m it would be so unlikely

and of course

Parker

Out: aka the dead wood...

Lisbie

Fish

Euell

Johansson

Kishishev

Royce

I think Dennis Rommedahl should be given another season to prove himself or at least until the Jan transfer window.

same goes with Fran Jeffers.

although if we were to get our money back then i wouldn't mind if they go.

In:

Daniel Gabbidon

David Prutton

Michael Tonge

Peter Crouch

Dean Ashton

investments for the future...

Anton Ferdinand (has had a good season, we should get in there before a bigger team snaps him up)

Matty Fryatt (same as above)

maybe Scott Parker on loan, and a few bosmans as well to boost the squad

i would also like to see a few of our youngsters given a chance, like Osei Sankofa and Lloyd Sam

How can we get rid of Jeffers? He's got something like 5 goals in 10 starts, at least give him a run in the team. Rommedahl should have settled more by next season, unless there is someone we can sign cheaply who will defintly be better, keep him. Kishishev is probably worth keeping as a squad player.

Is Henry Camara really good enough/better than what we have? Didn't he miss a lot of chances playing for Wolves?

We defintly need a couple of strikers if we sell JJ, Lisbie and Euell. So I can't see that happening.

How can we get rid of Jeffers? He's got something like 5 goals in 10 starts, at least give him a run in the team. Rommedahl should have settled more by next season, unless there is someone we can sign cheaply who will defintly be better, keep him. Kishishev is probably worth keeping as a squad player.

Is Henry Camara really good enough/better than what we have? Didn't he miss a lot of chances playing for Wolves?

We defintly need a couple of strikers if we sell JJ, Lisbie and Euell. So I can't see that happening. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was keen on us buying Camara before he went out on loan to Celtic, and he was putting the ball away very well in the tsunami match, albeit no one was tackling, so if we could get him on loan or for about a million he'd definetly be worth a go

Obviously I forgot Crouch, though it remains to be seen how he'd play after doing so well at the end of this season

Don't get rid of Jeffers, give him a chance

He said: ' I came here as I thought I had a chance to show what I can do', I think that's what we all thought, it's a shame how it's worked out so far, but 5 goals in 10 starts is still very impressive for our team really compared to the likes of Lisbie and Euell

really we need to sort out the rest of team before deciding on Jeffers' future.

in order for Curbs to stop playing a 4-5-1 we need to stop letting in so many goals, obviously.

a new strong CD like Gabbidon or Lescott might do the trick. also we need decent back-up for Young or one of the CDs (Anton Ferdinand might be good here as he can play at RB or CD)

we need Rommedahl and Thomas both playing well so they can supply the forwards. that way at least one of the central midfielder can stay back and help out the defense if we're caught on the counter-attack. we need decent back-up for the wingers, perhaps one who can play on the left or the right, that way if Thomas or Romm isn't playing well they can be bought off. (according to the papers Darren Ambrose is on his way out of newcastle, he can play on the left and right so maybe he would be a good signing.)

then we need a strong and powerful forward who‘s good in the air, can score goals and supply the other striker, and who can also track back and help with defending.

maybe the BFG (crouch) would be good here.

if we can improve the defense and stop playing the 4-5-1 then Jeffers can gets his games and show us what he can do.

Archived