The Charlton Athletic Thread: Season 04/05

FMaddick

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's certainly true we need to sort out the structure of the team before we decide on what players to keep/sell.

And there's no way i'd get rid of fortune and kishishev, they're very useful squad players to have - unlike Euell or Fish.

And i agree that we should keep Jeffers and Romm for another season, I should really be giving them a chance. Darren Ambrose certainly seems a good shout for cover on either wing icon14.gif

There's no doubt Curbs will spring a few suprises and it's certainly a possibility that he's intersted in Camara - I think he'd do a brilliant job on the right wing of a 451/433.

Kluivert is far far off what we should be looking for IMO.

I think that Curbs will certainly looking at building a squad that can play either a 442 or 451/433 which I think is good (look at the top 6, 5 of them nearly always play the 451/433 whilst the other, Arsenal, play it on a few occassions.

In a dream world the incoming this summer would be:

Ashton

Parker

Kezman

team news for tomorrows game with villa.

young and lisble should be fit, El Karkouri is set to return after completing his ban.

Konchesky starts his 2 match ban.

Fortune is doubtful. Kishishev could be back to starting 11 after recovering from his broken nose.

possible team -

Curbs will probably start will a 4-5-1

but give Romm more freedom to go forward, like against Bolton.

--------------------Kiely-------------------

--------Young, Perry, El Karkouri, HH-------

Rommedahl, Kishishev, Holland, Murphy, Thomas

------------------Jeffers--------------------

and depending on how the game goes could change to a 4-4-2 by putting on Lisble.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FMaddick:

That team would actually be the team I would choose if I were in charge, so icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd say it's our first choice 11 tbh icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sivy:

apparently there are 4 clubs after Jeffers, one being Blackburn.

Luke Young is top tackler according to opta, he has a 78% success rate, which is best in the premiership. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where did you hear about Jeffers?

It will be very annoying if he leaves unless we bring someone better in, because I'm convinced he could score 10-15 goals a season

other players I think we could sign:

Nicky Butt: Would add to our midfield well, perhaps replace Radostin

El Hadji Diouf: I know he's a twat, but he can score

the Jeffers thing was on clubcall... so take it with a pinch of salt.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FMaddick:

Nicky Butt: Would add to our midfield well, perhaps replace Radostin

El Hadji Diouf: I know he's a twat, but he can score </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Diouf is a good player. but for £4m i think there is probably better options out there.

Butt would be good on the cheap, but IMO he's passed his best so not worth playing over the odds.

Agreed we shouldn't pay over the odds, but it looks like Diouf is costing £2m and butt is £1.5m, so would be worth a look

Clubcall, that must have been why I saw Man City interested in charlton star, I thought it must have been Murphy

yeah i just read that Diouf is availble for £2m. maybe worth bidding, but i think he'll stay with bolton. afterall it looks like they will at least qualify for a UEFA place and the fans like him there. and considering the fact we all booed him everytime he got the ball at the valley last week i doubt he'll want to come to charlton anyway.

if we can get butt for £1.5m then its definitely worth going in for him. having Butt, Murphy and Holland in midfield would be good.

i've just been looking through a list of players who are out of contract in the summer and here's a few notable ones...

Djimi Traore

Kolo Toure

Patrik Berger

Anderson Silva - apparently man utd are after him

Rory Delap

Kevin Kilbane

Vladimir Smicer

Wayne Routledge

Boudewijn Zenden

Dennis Bergkamp

Matt Jansen

Claudio Lopez

Ibrahima Bakayoko - remember him?

Patrick Kluivert

Bjorn Runstrom

Luke Moore

maybe a couple there worth going for?

Charlton: Kiely, Kishishev, Hreidarsson, El Karkouri, Fortune, Holland, Murphy, Hughes, Rommedahl, Johansson, Jeffers.

Subs (not used): Andersen, Perry, Fuller, Euell, Thomas.

Villa: Sorensen, Delaney, Samuel, Barry, Hendrie, Angel, Solano, Hitzlsperger, de la Cruz, Cole, Davis.

Subs (not used): Vassell, Postma, Djemba-Djemba, Berson, S Moore.

I'd say thats JJ on the wing though. At least Fuller is there still. Does Perry have any small injuries as why is Fortune ahead of him icon_confused.gif

No its JJ on the left. They confirmed that on the commentry, I guess he'll go up front if needed though. Our midfield all need to support Jeffers more, sometimes a player crosses and we have 1 player at the most in the box.

quite happy with a point. we defended well and created a few chances. i think Jeffers forgot to put his contact lenses in, or he had the wrong boots on, as his shooting was awful.

Rommadahl played quite well again.

hopefully we can get a result against norwich, although they're playing well at the moment so it wont be an easy game.

should charlton go for the intertoto spot?

apparently newcastle, middlesbrough and Palace are considering it?

could it be any worse for the players than the last pre-season in china?

couldn't we just send a reserve team out?

what are yout thoughts?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedRob:

I'm completely 100% totally utterly and certainly against it :yhup: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

why though?

but like I said, we could just sent out the reserves and give the youngsters an opportunity to shine.

not only is there a slim chance we could win it and get a uefa cup place. but also it will give Curbs the chance to see if the youngters like Sam, Weston, fuller, Long and Ricketts etc. are ready for first time football.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sivy:

but like I said, we could just sent out the reserves and give the youngsters an opportunity to shine.

not only is there a slim chance we could win it and get a uefa cup place. but also it will give Curbs the chance to see if the youngters like Sam, Weston, fuller, Long and Ricketts etc. are ready for first time football. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He'd never do that, I mean he wouldn't even put Fuller on for 15 minutes in either of the last 2 games. Weston doesn't have a squad number or pro contract yet, so not sure how far off he is. He has played quite a bit in the reserves though.

Would playing reserves even be allowed?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scoham:

Would playing reserves even be allowed? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no reason why it shouldn't.

it's a no lose situation as far as i can see. We know curbs doesn’t like to take a gamble. he wont play youngsters unless there's absolutely no one else. yet we're always being told how good and highly rated some of them are.

Well put them into a game where the prize is worth wining, but it doesn’t matter if we lose.

i know it's never going to happen anyway. and even if we did enter, which we wouldn't, the place would probably go to newcastle or middlesbrough anyway.

in other news...

HH has picked up a knee injury which could see him miss the norwich game.

and with Konch still banned Kishishev might have to play as left-back. but only if Young is back from injury. if not then Curbs will have problems.

Im sure if HH isn't fit it'll be Kishishev, El Karkouri or Young at LB, Nathan Ashton, who is a left back signed a pro contract, but hasn't been given a squad number so I can't see him being seen as quite good enough to even be on the bench yet.

What I meant is Im sure UEFA or a team would complain we are taking up a place and not being serious about it. Really though its not doing anything wrong, but of course we would never try it. If FM is still right, there are 2 Intertoto Cup places, so 8th and 9th I guess would mean you are guaranteed a place if you want it. The club said before we wouldn't enter so why would they change their mind. It seems Curbs and the players are still hoping we can sneak into the last UEFA Cup place, but I just can't see us beating Norwich, Palace and either Man Utd or Chelsea.

norwich is our biggest game of the remaining season.

norwich are fighting for survival so they will be attacking the game. if we defend as well as we did against villa then hopefully we can stop them from scoring and hopefully catch them on the counter-attack.

if we can win that game, then we might have the confidence to have a go at man utd, maybe even get a point.

hopefully Chelsea will have already won the league and be in the CL final by the time we play them. so they might give some of their reserves a run-out against us. again we'll have the incentive to try and get something out of the game.

palace will hopefully already be relegated when we play them, so a win shouldn't be too differcult.

but if we lose against norwich then we may only get 3 points from our remaining games which might not be enough to keep up in the top half of the table.

Even when Bartlett does that, no one seems to run onto it, and Bartlett mis times a lot of his jumping anyway.

Kiely just saved a free kick from in the area (back pass), and Euell's on now. We really need to win this.

Very true, i'm not claiming Bartlett is incredibly effective, but he's a presence at least, which Jeffers isn't - not a skant on him btw, it's simply that he's a different type of player, someone who likes to spend his type lurking in the box, not collecting deep and laying off.

We're playing 442 now icon14.gif

He just had a one on one saved by Kiely icon_biggrin.gif

And we just went up and forced a great save out of Green.

I was absolutely terrified about Matt then. I'll post this after this promising free-kick.

......................................../o\ off the bar icon_frown.gif

icon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gif

**** OFF AND DIE HE IS ****

**** OFF AND DIE HE IS ****/o\ /o\ /o\ /o\

GAH GAH GAH

HE SCORED A SCISSOR KICK icon_biggrin.gif

It'll be good once the seasons over, lets try and finish as high as we can, just for that extra bit of money we get from it. Clear out some of the squad, Fish everyone knows isn't good enough, its time for Euell to go, not bothered about keeping Lisbie, Royce should go now his contract is up - 2 young keepers signed pro contracts, so they can be 3rd and 4th choice.

4-5-1 is fine if we can get the midfield attacking, but they don't. It looks as if our defence is better, but without scoring goals we aren't going to get anywhere. Kielys doing all he can to get us into Europe, but the attacking players aren't getting the goals we need. The whole midfield need to get in the box, score and set up a few goals, win some penalties, but we get stuck with crosses going to Jeffers and 1 other midfield who gets forward, its not enough. Johnson wins thousands for penalties for Palace, we have players like Thomas, Rommedahl etc, even JJ who can win a penalty if they get in the box, it could be worth another 4/5 goals for us. If we don't get penalties the players will probably be in the position to shoot. Jeffers or Bartlett can't do everything in the area themselves, where are the midfield!

You can say get rid of Kishishev, Hughes etc, but we aren't going to find squad players that are happy to play in a few positions and go in and out of the team that are much better, and that we can afford.

we should keep Kishy and Hughesy cos they do serve great purposes. jeffers missed a sitter which he should have scored. jj gets into great postions but he needs to up his finishing ability (if its possible).

we didnt deserve to lose today. very hard done by. at least we are safe!

we need 5 or 6 new players in the summer at least.

in the news of world on sunday they said Bowyer's coming to charlton.

i don't want Bowyer, he's an idiot... but atleast he can play football, unlike half our squad.

That's a slight overreation Sivy icon_biggrin.gif

There's no way in my mind we need a massive squad overhaul, Look how well we were doing until recently - where we've tailed off now, but remmeber that a lot of our players didn't get a proper pre-season behind them, and weve had our overhall in the last year.

We lost Parker, Di Canio, Jensen, Rowett last summer, all of whom were big players for us (well not rowett, but meh) and brought in El Kakrkouri, Murphy, Rommedahl, Thomas - thta's 4 new players in the team, 5 when jeffers plays. Add Hughes to teh list and at times we have 6 players in the first team who were'nt with us a year ago. That's more than half the team!

We've suffered from such a massive overhaul to the squad, like many thought we would (I'm not criticising it by the way, but the first season was never going to be perfect) and there's no way we should do a similar thing again this summer, it would be silly. We need 3 QUALITY players that will improve the first team, nothing else. icon_smile.gif

there will be at least 2 or 3 players leaving, Fish, Euell and maybe JJ as he is out of contract soon and might want to leave. so we need 5 or 6 to cover the players going out and also add a bit more depth to our squad.

Archived