The Charlton Athletic Thread: Season 04/05

FMaddick

charlton look set to sign Canadian under 17 international Jaswinder Gill

Tranmere are keen on Charlton striker Francis Jeffers - if they get promoted to the Championship

seems to be a list of clubs interested in Franny. i'm still undecided whether i think he should go or not.

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sivy:

Tranmere are keen on Charlton striker Francis Jeffers - if they get promoted to the Championship

seems to be a list of clubs interested in Franny. i'm still undecided whether i think he should go or not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who? icon_confused.gif Any links about this?

Surely Jeffers could do better than Tranmere?

I'd rather get rid of Lisbie, JJ or Euell before Jeffers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scoham:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sivy:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who? icon_confused.gif Any links about this?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/Canada/2005/04/24/1010970-sun.html

according to the Star we missed out on Jermaine Pennant, he snubbed moves to liverpool everton and charlton to sign with Birmingham

this was in the mirror

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Charlton boss Alan Curbishley is planning a major summer shake-up - he will look to offload Jason Euell, Mark Fish, Francis Jeffers, Paul Konchesky and Bryan Hughes, and target Newcastle's former Addicks star Lee Bowyer as well as Chelsea's former Charlton midfielder Scott Parker, plus Ipswich striker Darren Bent

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i don't think Konchesky will go. dunno about Hughes, i think curbs will keep him as backup.

Curbs has already dismissed the Bowyer rumour so hopefully thats nonsense.

i think chelsea want at least £5m for Parker so i can't see that happening. maybe we could get him on a season-long loan.

We'll only get Bent if Ipswich don't get promoted.

I can't see him getting rid of Koncheskey (although he may want to leave) and can't see us getting too many offers for Hughes.

I can see us getting rid of the others though, plus JJ.

If Parker came available for 5m and we had a chance i'm pretty sure it'd be something we'd be intersted in hapenning, he's a fb player.

would he want to come back though?

he knows he'll get a mixed reception if he did.

he's more likely to go to Everton, especially if they do qualify for the CL.

i think he would even rather go to Birmingham than come back to us.

Who in gods name would want to go to birmingham ahead of london, especially since hes got a wife and a recently born kid.

But yeah, I could see the everton thing hapenning, maybe he wont even leave chelsea though.

Well I remember in the program there was a survery and white was the most popular colour for an away kit. Haven't heard anything else though, maybe they will have another vote for the kits like they used to? A white away kit would mean we would have a 3rd kit because of teams like Southampton, unless they keep the yellow kit?

Im guessing we will have a new home and away kit, since we've had them for 2 seasons now.

another ex-charlton player is a summer target says clubcall.com

Mark Kinsella

only joking...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Alan Curbishley is weighing up a summer swoop for Danny Mills who has fallen out of favour at Manchester City, as Charlton prepare to ring the changes at The Valley this summer.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

according to the Star we missed out on Jermaine Pennant, he snubbed moves to liverpool everton and charlton to sign with Birmingham

this was in the mirror

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Charlton boss Alan Curbishley is planning a major summer shake-up - he will look to offload Jason Euell, Mark Fish, Francis Jeffers, Paul Konchesky and Bryan Hughes, and target Newcastle's former Addicks star Lee Bowyer as well as Chelsea's former Charlton midfielder Scott Parker, plus Ipswich striker Darren Bent

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i don't think Konchesky will go. dunno about Hughes, i think curbs will keep him as backup.

Curbs has already dismissed the Bowyer rumour so hopefully thats nonsense.

i think chelsea want at least £5m for Parker so i can't see that happening. maybe we could get him on a season-long loan.

We'll only get Bent if Ipswich don't get promoted. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i wondered if we'd be in for Pennant TBH, but we did already have Rommedahl

If we got in Parker, Bent and Bowyer I would be delighted, though if it were only the last two I wouldn't be that pleased

Get rid of all the players mentiones if we can get replacements for JEffers and a backup to replace Hughes, and good prices though some(FIsh and Euell) can go for any offer

to get all 3 it would cost about £10m (£2m for Bowyer, £5m for Parker, £3m for Bent)

where are we going to get £10m from?

even if we had it i can't see Curbs spending that much on 3 players. especially seeing as we need to buy a central defender also.

i don't think we'll get Bent, ipswich have got easier games than wigan, so i think ipswich will get the 2nd spot and get promoted.

a possible alternative for Bent i think would be Leroy Lita. he's has scored 29 goals this season and would probably cost around £1.5m-£2m.

also i think we should sell Jeffers for £2m and buy Derek Riordan as a replacement. very similar players but Riordan is potentially better.

i wonder if Curbs will go in for Joey Barton again. he seems to be a big fan of the city player.

we could probably use someone like him, maybe as a replacement for Kish.

Doubt Bowyer would be 2m, Newcastle will be desperate to get rid of him , and tbh I doubt we'll go for him.

In the summer hopefully we'll get

2m for Euell, (no matter what we think, one of the promoted clubs would certainly be intersted for that price)

0p for Fish - but ofdf the wage bill, and i'm sure that'll make a big difference.

1m for Jeffers - Maybe, depends on curbs thoughts.

So say we get 3m in, weve lost money because wee going to finish lower than they hoped, so would maybe have only 4m to spend in the summer without sales. (Remember we've kept the 3m from Januray that was available to spend.) So we could potentially have a 7m budget. If Parker is available I still think we should be going for it though, but if i'm honest I doubt he'll return.

For the ‘best 11' thread I got -

------------------ Kiely---------------------

S Brown---- R Rufus ---- E Youds --- C Powell

M Kinsella--- S Parker --R Lee--- J Robinson

---------C Mendona------ D Hales-------------

but for the ‘worst 11’ I can only think of...

El Khalej

Karim Bagheri

Jesper Bomqvist

Neil Redfearn

Carl Leaburn

Martin Pringle

who would you say our worst 'keeper was?

rumour has it that JJ has signed a new contract.

also Curbs does want Bowyer and Parker back...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"I would like a few of our old boys back," he admitted.

"We will have to see about Lee, but I think things will change in the summer when the dust settles."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where's that quote from? Not sure on the JJ thing until the club confirm it.

A bit harsh on Bagheri, he only played once as a sub, so maybe he doesn't really count? Don't know about worse keeper, most of them done well at times, did we ever have anyone that bad in goal?

El Khalej

Karim Bagheri

Jesper Bomqvist

Neil Redfearn

Carl Leaburn

Martin Pringle

who would you say our worst 'keeper was? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I havent read the thread you're on about, but is it "Your clubs top 11 players from the glory years"? As you seem to have forgotton everyone before 1996? (Except Killer of course)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedRob:

THat isn't hapenning. No way are chelsea going for Yakubu in the first place icon15.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your sure about that are you... icon_wink.gif

Even though Chelsea can afford to buy anyone Mourinho doesn't seem to buy superstars. He seems to buy younger players who are hungry and have something to prove and obviously have talent.

Yakubu fits that bill perfectly.

Yakubu for Smertin and Forsell icon_cool.gif I can live with that.

That would be a fb deal for you. Especially considering you would have to pay half of any transfer fee to Maccabi Haifa. I'd be seriously jealous if you got that deal, both are players who i'd love to see at the valley. Smertin > Holland IMO.

El Khalej

Karim Bagheri

Jesper Bomqvist

Neil Redfearn

Carl Leaburn

Martin Pringle

who would you say our worst 'keeper was? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funnily enough, if I did a York Best XI, Kiely would be in that too.

charlton and liverpool are after Bolton's Rahdi Jaidi according to Clubcall. Bolton will be willing to accept bids of around £2m

there's also a story about a summer move for Darren Bent. he has said he will go if ipswich don't get promoted. but we knew that anyway.

Team News -

Konch is back, HH and Barlett are out.

possible line-up, likely to be 4-5-1

-------------------Kiely---------------

Young--- Fortune---- El Kark----Konchesky

Romm----Murhpy---Kish---Holland---Thomas

--------------------Jeffers-------------

i predict a 1-1, not only that but our goal will be a penalty, which Murphy will put away. icon_biggrin.gif

The squad really needs sorting out after today, most of them don't look interested. I'd rather see the reserve team play Chelsea, they might actually try.

Euell and Lisbie come on but don't look as if they want to be in the team. Euell is no good as a sub, yet he continues to be on the bench and comes on. Yes he scored goals in the past but he can't control the ball and rarely works hard.

We need some real quality coming in, players that work hard and can play football, score goals and defend properly. The goals we let in were from stupid mistakes. We again defended stupidly deep, on corners we have no one to clear it to.

The way we play is not going to help Jeffers (why was he so lazy today, didn't close down like he should be) score goals, Ferdinand wins every header, and the midfield again didn't support the striker. Whats going on with Matt Holland? He looks so average now. Kishishev wins the ball, then loses it straight away.

Did anyone else hear the people on the radio going on about getting rid of Curbishley? Until they can suggest a few different managers that would do a much better job and we could realistically get, it doesn't make any sense. When the players can't control the ball or pass it and keep defending so badly, its up to them to work hard not the manager. The manger can't force them to have good ball control. Its time for some players to leave, some of them have been around for a long time now (Lisbie, then players like JJ have played 5 seasons).

The squad needsp revamping - he tried to do it in the summer, but unfortunately instead of deadwood leaving, it was our best players who left icon_frown.gif

THis summer the following HAVE to go

Euell

Fish

Lisbie

I woudnt be crying if these leave either

Jeffers

Fortune

JJ

So lets say we make 5m for that lot. Add the 3m we had in January, and the money he would get to spend in teh summer3/4m I reckon we could have 10m odd to spend in teh summer. This is what I'd like to see hapenning

Smertin 750k (Holland needs competition, and this guy can provide it. A really good footballer)

Bent 3.5m (If Ipswich dont go up this guy will be in the prem)

Kezman 3m (Has the ability to score goals in the prem. Needs to be the main man though, which he isnt at chelsea, but would be here)

DC 3m (El kak needs a strong, powerful, talented partner.Hopefuly Curbs can suprise us with a foreigner weve never heard of here)

Team for next year:

GK - Andersen/Kiely (Kiely is a star, but Andersen needs much more of a chance next year)

DL - HH

DR - Young

DC - El kak

DC - New guy

ML - Thomas/Murphy

MC - Smertin

MC - Holland/Murphy

MR - Murphy/Rommedahl

FC - Bent

FC - Kezman

That team is considerably better than this years one icon14.gif

I don't like Murphy playing out wide, he never looks right when playing there. Agree with the players out you mentioned, obviously Royce will most likely leave as well. Might have to keep Fortune and JJ, maybe Jeffers depending on which players we can sign. We need some real quality, we should look at loans, frees and cheaper foreign players. We probably don't have enough money to go out and spend £3-5m on a player from the Championship.

Kiely I guess has a few years left, Andersen is only 23 so could be better than Kiely one day, Kiely spent a long time in the lower leagues and has always had problems with his kicking. If Andersen plays enough hopefully we have a very good keeper, who might force his way into the team. I'd like to see a few reserves get on the bench at least. As Curbishley said, there are a few players that think they will be better of somewhere else - so why are they in the 16 - get someone new (eg. reserves) in there and see what they can do. They might suprise everyone and be an extra squad player. To play in Europe we need a bigger and stronger squad, reserves that are good enough to come into the team and play a few games will be needed.

Guest CAFCbabeX

Today when we had players like Clive Mendonca, Richard Rufus, Mark Kinsella, Steve Brown and Chrissy Powell come back to The Vally, I felt something so special.

Something I really don't feel for any of the players at the moment.

How many of the current squad could you honestly cheer for like the ones mentioned above?

At the moment, I'd say the Elk and Deano.

The old players had passion and heart for Charlton. Where has all that gone?

Sorry, very disheartened right now icon_frown.gif And I can only see us losing to Palarse on the last day to keep them up icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scoham:

The squad really needs sorting out after today, most of them don't look interested. I'd rather see the reserve team play Chelsea, they might actually try.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i hope so.

give the youngster a change to show Curbs they deserve a place in the first team a lot more than most the players in the first team.

http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=22104

Does anyone else find it strange thats on the official website? That hardly ever happens. I already heard he admitted he is interested, but not on the official site. Do we even have £6m to spend (without selling anyone) on the whole squad? I can't see us breaking our transfer record for a while yet.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Curbs admits Corradi interest

Addicks manager Alan Curbishley has admitted he is interested in Valencia forward Bernardo Corradi - but he also insisted the club was looking to strengthen on all fronts.

Newspaper reports recently linked Charlton with a club record £6m move for the Italian international striker and Curbishley confessed that he had personally watched Corradi in action.

"Most Sunday mornings I'm at Stansted airport very early in the morning to go to Europe and watch some matches," said Alan.

"Nowadays it's very easy to go and see a game overseas and get back the same night; I've been doing that like a lot of managers and I've been looking at as many players as I can.

"If they still stamped passports every time you entered and left a country I'd probably be on my third one this season."

When questioned by the press on the speculation regarding Corradi, Curbishley said: "He's been one of the players I've looked at and there's obviously an interest, because we've watched the games.

"We'll be looking to strengthen in all areas."

Siena-born Corradi, 29, joined 2004 Primera Liga champions Valencia from Lazio last summer as part of a £10m-plus joint deal with midfielder Stefano Fiore instigated by ex-Chelsea boss Claudio Ranieri.

He immediately helped his new club to European Super Cup success when Champions League holders Porto were beaten 2-1 in August and he has played both Champions League and UEFA Cup football for his club during the current campaign.

The six-foot-three forward sprung to prominence with Chievo Verona, whom he helped to fifth and UEFA Cup qualification in their first season in Serie A in 2001/02, scoring eight goals.

He subsequently joined Lazio for £2.5m in summer 2002 and has also spent a season with Internazionale.

And after scoring on his international debut for Italy in February 2003 - a 1-0 victory against Portugal in Genoa - Corradi now has 13 caps and two goals to his credit for the Azzurri. He made one appearance at the 2004 European Championships, helping Italy to a 2-1 victory against Bulgaria. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm quite shocked that's on the official sight

As you say, hardly any stories would appear on the clubs official website 2 months before any deal, and even rarer for Curbs

Like you say, have we even got £6m

I know very little about him, but do we want to shell that out on a 29 year old, would a £3m 21 year old not be a better bet. i would be very excited to see someone that Curbs values at £6m come to Charlton

Something that I was thinking about yesterday was how did we afford nearly £5m for Euell? Where did the money come from?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Something that I was thinking about yesterday was how did we afford nearly £5m for Euell? Where did the money come from? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought the same. Back in 2000 after being promoted we bought Jensen and JJ for nearly £8m, plus players like Fish and Kishishev for another £1m. 2001 we bought Bartlett for £2m, Euell for nearly £5m and Young for £3m (going up to £4m after staying up 4 years in a row).

So a few years ago we did have the money, suddenly we don't seem to. Last summer was the first time in 3 years we spent quite a bit, and that was mainly because of Parker leaving. The best thing will probably be to sell Euell, Lisbie, get Fish and Royce of the wage bill. Maybe even a few more players if we can get a decent bit of money for them.

I reckon we could get close to 4m on outgoings this summer, especially if Jeffers goes.

Corradi is a strong centre forward, so could work well alone in the 451 with crosses coming in, or alongside the fast/jeffers type sgtriker in the box. So I think that's a good option.

TBF there's no talk of a fee from Curbs - there's NO way he'd be going for 6m.

Archived