The Charlton Athletic Thread: Season 04/05

FMaddick

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedRob:

Is it sad that i'm DESPERATE for us to sign Parker icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, though I am very much resigned to us not getting him, a few other clubs have been mentioned apart from Everton, but we haven't even been mentioned at all this time icon_frown.gif

I'd be delighted if he signed him for £7m or less and got a striker and centre half in on loan

Choose us Scott, I hope we get some admission by Curbs if he's in for him or not

Oh, and something to sum up last season.

Charlton had officially the least shots on target in the prem, the least shots off target, and the least amount of corners.

We also had the leat amount of penalties. Fantastic \o/

9th page icon_cool.gif

Well reading that Palace forum link on Forever Charlton, it seems he is good, not the fastest though. On FM he looks good technically but poor mentally and physically, that will probably be updated by the Palace researcher I guess.

That just proves we really are too scared to shoot most of the time, we don't get in the box enough either. Rommedahl, Thomas, Sam, Lisbie etc should win penalties easily. Holland, Murphy even Kishishev should shoot from long range a bit more (Kish seems to have so many shots just over or just wide, will he ever get one icon_frown.gif?).

What does anyone think of that website saying we are giving Ipswich money plus Jeffers for Bent? I'd rather it be Lisbie or Euell (maybe we can get money for Euell though?).

Hopefully Young gets to play part of at least one of the England games, he would do a decent job for them.

Does anyone know when Konchesky last signed a contract? At the moment (for FM) it expires in 2005. That can't be right though, I would have thought the club would have said he signed a new contract at some point, or was avaliable on a free.

Can't wait to see who else we sign in the next few weeks (hopefully) now icon_biggrin.gif

Teamtalk says there is also a sell on clause, so everyone look out for it as it can be added for FM 2006.

Campbell-Ryce is being linked with Palace and Leeds, we might get a sell on clause for him as well icon_cool.gif

I really wouldn't mind someone better to take Hollands place, Kish works hard but always gives the ball away, and a centre back would also be good. Maybe even another striker, then I hope we get rid of Euell and Lisbie.

Agree with all of that scoham.

Another CB (I wouldn't bet against us going for this french league guy - curbs is out watching french league game almost every week)

A centre mid to take Hollands place - or at least challenge it, a striker, and that's probably it.

Yea wouldn't be bad, then hopefully we have Sam as a backup winger/striker, Sankofa centre back and Fuller right back/centre midfield. Not sure about any of the other youngsters though. Those 3 are running out of time I just hope we give them a chance and we don't let them go then see them move to a bigger team (like its looking with Campbell-Ryce).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Five stars

Addicks fans can, as promised, expect plenty of transfer activity in SE7 in the early part of the close season.

Charlton plc chairman Richard Murray has revealed that new signing Darren Bent is one of five new players the club is planning to bring in over the coming weeks.

As the England U21 striker was officially unveiled as a Charlton player at a press conference at The Valley on Wednesday, Murray said he expects to sign a player every week from now on so that Alan Curbishley has his full quota of new faces well in advance of pre-season training.

"We are looking to sign five players, starting with Darren," said the Addicks chairman.

"It's more expensive if you're quick out of the blocks and sign players early because you end up paying their wages months before they can even play for you, but if you want a player - like we wanted Darren - you need to make sure you get him.

"Usually the season ends and managers go away on holiday for a few weeks so now is a good time to do business because you haven't got as much competition."

Ipswich Town youth product Bent has put pen to paper on a four-year contract in a deal that could cost the club up to £3m.

Murray added: "We spent over £8m last summer. We're a club that spends what we can afford and I think we can afford to make five signings this summer. That is what we're planning to do.

"And we won't allow anyone to leave until we've got the players in we want.

"I'll expect there will be one more signing next week, and another one the week after that and so on for the next four weeks, then Alan and I can relax a little bit.

"We'd like 24 senior players and a few junior ones on top of that." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_cool.gif

4 more signings to go, hopefully thats a defensive midfielder, defender, another striker and I guess a versatile player.

Surely selling Euell might be needed as that would might be another £1m or so?

24 senior players - so that's 19 of last years squad to stay. Unless of course one of these signings is a junior. Hmmmm

Senior players 2004/2005

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

1.Kiely

2.Luke Young

3.Chris Perry

4.Mark Fish

5.Radostin Kishishev

6.Matthew Holland

7.Jason Euell

8.Kevin Lisbie

9.Francis Jeffers

10.Hermann Hreidarsson

11.Danny Murphy

12.Jerome Thomas

13.Talal El Karkouri

14.Stephan Andersen

15.Shaun Bartlett

16.Paul Konchesky

17.Dennis Rommedahl

18.Bryan Hughes

19.Jonatan Johansson

20.Jonathan Fortune

So only 1 of those players to leave! I was certain Euell Fish and Jeffers would be gone.

Junior

Lloyd Sam

?

Doesn't make much sense. Fish is far from good enough now I'd rather see Sankofa given a chance ahead of him, I can't see what use for us Euell is anymore. He is poor as a sub and there is nowhere in the team he will be able to get into. Jeffers could be good but we would have to use him the right way.

I guess we will have to wait and see what happens, and hopefully we do get that signing every week for 4 weeks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scoham:

Doesn't make much sense. Fish is far from good enough now I'd rather see Sankofa given a chance ahead of him, I can't see what use for us Euell is anymore. He is poor as a sub and there is nowhere in the team he will be able to get into. Jeffers could be good but we would have to use him the right way.

I guess we will have to wait and see what happens, and hopefully we do get that signing every week for 4 weeks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I honestly think we will sell Fish and Euell, I think he doesn't want us to worry about having a small squad as that was one of our problems last year, due to lack of squad depth

The times says we've bid £1.5m rising to £1.8m for Jon Stead, I personally think that would be a pretty decent signing, and not really a bad price, these are the type of players we need to be picking up

Actually, thinking about it, Sam could be part of the senior squad maybe??

There's no way I can possibly see Euell and Fish being at the club next year, and to a slightly lesser extent Jeffers as well.

Hmmm...There's a story on the official site about how we'd love to have Parker back on loan. Don't know how i feel about that tbh. Having him for a year before he ****s off again would just be depressing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedRob:

Sorondo will be the signing next week icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you know that?

It seems weird to me they put the Parker story up on the official site, maybe its just so people know we can't afford him (maybe they want Chelsea to offer him to use for £2m icon_biggrin.gif)

Hmmm...There's a story on the official site about how we'd love to have Parker back on loan. Don't know how i feel about that tbh. Having him for a year before he ****s off again would just be depressing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>#

Yer, whilst it would be great to have him which I would LOVE, I think it would be more annoying if he left after the year, but if he got us into Europe then we could perhaps spend the time saving the money to buy him ?

I also think that Sorondo will be the signing next week, possibly that oxford youngster too but hopefully he won't be one of the five as that would be a bit of a let down

Maybe the club are trying to bring him back as we speak (parker that is) Very strange though really icon_confused.gif

The Crystal Palace researcher updated Sorondo, and if we do sign him, and its accurate he could be a very good signing. He is meant to be a quality defender, and can bring the ball out of defence well. Sounds like he would be playing with El Karkouri at centre back if we get him icon_cool.gif

So where's this signing then eh? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_frown.gif Would be nice to have one soon.

Especially since Charlton are 100 years old today icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scoham:

So where's this signing then eh? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_frown.gif Would be nice to have one soon.

Especially since Charlton are 100 years old today icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If there is not one tomorrow I'll be quite disaapointed

For him to announce what he did, we must have been pretty close to a deal

Someone has either rejected us or wants more money icon_frown.gif

Rumours that Sorondo can't get a work permit! possible I suppose

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sheer Class:

We have 2 new signings coming icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get back to your own club thread icon_mad.gificon_razz.gif

Where's this about Sorondo not being able to get a work permit icon_confused.gif, surely he is a big enough name and having played quite a bit with Palace it shouldn't be too hard.

Kezman has been linked with Sevilla, if we still want him I'd hate for us to leave it too late and miss out icon_frown.gif He would be better off here, stay in London, and then we can get rid of Euell or Lisbie.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">and then we can get rid of Euell or Lisbie. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Preferably both icon_biggrin.gif

Site down in going to be about the bartram statue, was unveiled today.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Would Euell Believe It?

Charlton Athletic striker Jason Euell is the latest name to be linked with a summer transfer to West Bromwich Albion.

The Baggies are thought to be one of a number of clubs monitoring Euell's current situation at Charlton and Bryan Robson could make a move to sign the player, should he continue to be frustrated in his pursuit of other targets.

So far this summer Albion have been given little encouragement after expressing interest in signing Andy Johnson, Fredi Kanoute and Mateja kezman, however a move for Charlton's record £4.75m signing is likely to be met with much more encouragement.

Euell has scored 33 goals in 97 starts for the south-London based club, however he has become frustrated by a lack of first team football and continually being played out of position. 28 year old Euell, who is a proven Premiership player and full international would be an added option to the baggies forward line and is keen on a fresh start to kick start his career.

"We've got talks coming up next week to try and get things sorted out. At the moment I'm looking for a fresh start at a new club." Euell told a London media outlet.

Euell, in the last year of his contract and pushed further down the pecking order at Charlton by the arrival of Darren Bent from Ipswich Town is thought to be available for around £2m. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also more on Euell at http://charltonathletic.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=905&p=2&stid=8382980

Really hope we sell him this summer, 1 year on his contract, 28 years old, other teams seem to think he is a really good player (ok he scores 10 or so goals a season in the Premiership, but he isn't THAT good). £2m would be enough I guess. I can't understand why they say he is continually played out of position though, as he can play in midfield well enough icon_confused.gif

Surely West Brom had no chance of getting Kezman, Kanoute or Johnson icon_biggrin.gif

well if Kezman comes to us he can link up with ROmmedahl again and be world class like they were at PSV.

We just missed out on Sammy Kuffour icon_frown.gif

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/transfernews.asp?type=article&id=283558

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Charlton boss Alan Curbishley has revealed he missed out on signing Bayern Munich defender Samuel Kuffour.

The Ghanaian centre back joined Roma this week, snubbing Charlton and also, according to his agent, Tottenham and Liverpool.

The Addicks are pursuing reinforcements to their squad as Curbishley feels he needs 22 players to compete for a spot in next year's top ten of The Premiership.

"Perhaps the bigger club would have been more attractive to him," complained Curbishley of Kuffour. "I don't know.

"We never got that far.

"Hopefully we can improve on what we have been doing in The Premiership and really establish ourselves as a top ten club.

"We need at least another three or four in, certainly before we start pre-season. We are out there trying and every day we're getting closer," he told Sky Sports News.

"Finishing the season with 18 senior players is not enough.

"We've got some money and I'm endeavouring to get that squad up to 22.

"Dennis Rommedahl hasn't really shown us what he is capable of yet but the conversation we had before he went off to international duty [told me] he is determined to come back and for that to happen so we shall see.

"Mark [Fish] wants a change of scenery so we agreed to that. Apart from Simon Royce, who was out of contract, everyone else is contracted up.

"We have to see if they're all going to be here but I'm concentrating more on bringing players in than letting players go."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fishy is going! icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">News that Mateja Kezman is on the brink of agreeing a deal with South East London outfit Chartlon Athletic has been brought to footie forums attention today by a source close to the club. The striker is set to agree a 3 year deal by the end of next week with the price tag thought to be around £3 million. Charlton look set to fight off West Bromwich Albion who renewed their interest in the Serbian after they failed in bids for both Andrew Johnson and Frederic Kanoute. Its is thought that one of the main reasons Kezman has agreed to join Charlton is that former PSV team mate and close friend Dennis Rommedahl (who is also a Charlton player) has been in contact with the Serb international and has convinced him to sign the deal. Kezman is set to be Curbishley's second signing of the summer although by the time it is completed he may also have captured Gonzalo Sorondo from Itailian giants Inter Milan </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got that from a link to another forum from Forever Charlton. They put it in the 'newly signed transfers' section icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.footieforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=4

Doesn't seem any more reliable to me, just looks like any other Kezman rumour. Kezman and Sorondo would be 2 great signings though if it happens.

Transfer Rumours

In's

Phil Jagielka (Sheffield Utd) Centre-Half/Midfielder

Danny Gabbidon (Cardiff City) Centre-Half

Heider Helguson (Watford) Striker

Darren Bent (Ipswich Town) Striker - SIGNED FOR CHARLTON 1st JUNE 2.5M

Lee Bowyer (Newcastle Utd) Midfielder

Mateja Kezman (Chelsea) Striker

Clinton Morrison (Birmingham City) Striker

JJ Okocha (Bolton Wanderers) Midfielder

Jaswinder Gill (Edmonton Juventus) Goalkeeper

Scott Parker (Chelsea) Midfielder

Damien Francis (Norwich City) Midfielder

Henri Camera (Wolves) Striker

Bernardo Corradi (Valencia) Striker

Rahdi Jaidi (Bolton Wanderers) Centre-Half

Pauleta (PSG) Striker

Paul Stalteri (Werder Bremen) Defender - SIGNED FOR SPURS

Dennis Bergkamp (Arsenal) Striker - RE-SIGNED FOR ARSENAL

Paddy Kenny (Sheffield Utd) Goalkeeper

Manuel Pablo (Deportivo La Coruna) Defender

Ze Castro (Academica de Coimbra) Midfielder

Jolean Lescott (Wolves) Centre-Half

Steve Sidwell (Reading) Midfielder

Mark Noble (West Ham Utd) Midfielder

Jason Koumas (West Brom) Midfielder

Leon MacKenzie (Norwich City) Striker

Ousmane N'Doye (Penafiel) Striker

Kevin Pariente (PSG) Midfielder

Kelly Youga (Olympique Lyonnais) Left-Back

Gonzalo Sorondo (Inter Milan/Palace) Centre Half

Danny Shittu (QPR) Centre Half

Habib Beye (Marseille) Defender

Vladimir Smicer (Liverpool) Midfielder

Jonathan Stead ( Blackburn Rovers) Striker

Joos Valgaeren (Glasgow Celtic) Centre Half

Kevin Doyle (Cork City) Striker - SIGNED FOR READING

Rasmus Wurtz (Aalborg BK - Denmark) Midfielder

Darren Ambrose (Newcastle Utd) Midfielder

Craig Davies (Oxford Utd) Striker

Benjani Mwaruwari ( Auxerre) Striker

Samuel Kuffour (Bayern Munich) Centre-Half - SIGNED FOR ROMA

Mohamed Kallon (Monaco) Striker

Out's

Matt Holland - Ipswich Town

Franny Jeffers - Tranmere Rovers, Sunderland, Wigan Athletic, Ipswich Town,Sheffield Utd

Dean Keily - Manchester Utd

Jason Euell - Southampton, Norwich, Crystal Palace, Sunderland,Fulham,West Ham

Paul Konchesky - Newcastle Utd, Everton, Fulham ,Glasgow Celtic

Simon Royce - QPR - SIGNED FOR QPR </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://cafctransfers.blogspot.com/

icon_biggrin.gif

Every player we have been linked with, and all the players that have been linked with a move away! I didn't even know we were linked with a couple of those players, like Okocha.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bellz2002:

why would matty holland go back to ipswich? icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was probably before the playoffs, as in if Ipswich got promoted they might have bidded for him.

Does everyone else think we could do with a defensive midfielder to take Hollands place? I know we won't get Parker but we could do with someone better to play with Murphy. Holland does ok, but I think someone better to win the ball (not Kishishev icon_biggrin.gif) is needed.

Agree there Scoham.

And FFS. We've had a bid for Stead accepted by Sunderland. I mean come on, this is not the type of player we should be after icon_frown.gif He's average, and managed 2 whole goals last year.

Great \o/ Another mediocre striker icon_frown.gif

He might want a guaranteed first team place or to stay up north. We are also meant to be bidding for Kezman so we will hardly go for both.

Stead is young though, he has time to get better. It might mean finally getting rid of Lisbie!

I won't say i'm unhappy about stead join Sunderland, infact i would say i'm very happy icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely though it means we will either get Curbishleys 2nd choice after Stead, or even worse no other striker at all and end up with Lisbie playing more games icon_frown.gif

Unless that Kezman rumour is true (which it won't be!)...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sheer Class:

No doubt you Charlton fans will be happy.

Pompey are after Jason Euell...

Is he as bad as you have said or does he need change of scenery?

Scoham what CA does he have... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think its time for us to get rid of him. He's 28 (I think) now, and only has a year on his contract left. If we can get £1.5-2m for him that wouldn't be too bad. He will probably do well somewhere else and score a few goals.

He's been linked with just about every mid table type team in the Premiership, will anyone ever buy him? icon_frown.gif

He is no good as a substitute, everytime he came on he never looked that interested. He needs to play regularly but there is no space in our team for him I think.

His CA is about 136, I lowered it a bit as I don't think he has ever been that good for us. Yes he's scored at least 10 goals a season, a lot of that was playing in midfield, but his first touch is poor, he doesn't jump for headers, his passing isn't great and he can be lazy (at times though he looked hard working). Some people are big fans of him but apart from scoring some goals and playing well at times he isn't that good a player.

I actually don't think Euell is that bad, having looked back through the last couple of seasons dvd's he's scored a few and can play midfield or up front

He's been very poor though last season, and didn't do anything off the subs bench

Unless Curbs can majorly sort his attitude out and make him a first team player, I think he'll go, hopefully for £2m, maybe to fund a Kezman bid icon_biggrin.gif

Yeah, if stead was 1st choice striker to sign then there is NO WAY we are getting kezman tbh icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh icon_frown.gif

There's no chance we'll sign him I know

Archived