The Charlton Athletic Thread: Season 04/05

FMaddick

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedRob:

One thing I really can't get over is Curbs rejecting the 2.75m bid for Euell. It makes no sense.

He's been used as an 80th minute sub, and been useless on EVERY one of those occasions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's the same as Bent and Stuart, we offer £3m for Bent in the summer, they want £3m plus stuart but Curbs won't let him go, then he lets him go for free 4 months later

Admittedly he played a few games, but if Curbs thought he could do without him since January surely he could have done without him since Summer icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scoham:

Does anyone else find it strange thats on the official website? That hardly ever happens. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

they had a story on Lisandro Lopez when we were being linked to him.

what was this thread doing languishing in the 3rd page??

i reckon, following curbs' comments, that these players will leave in summer:

Jeffers (£1.5m - £2m)

Rommedahl (£2m - £3m)

Euell (£1m)

Fish (Free)

Konchesky (£2m - £3m)

Fortune (£500k)

plus maybe a couple of reserves etc. can't se us getting rid of JJ or Hughesy tbh.

We do need a good centreback, Ujufelsi would be good, Hubschman also, a quality finisher, dunno bout that one, look abroad. Parker and Jensen will be welcome back, Danny Mills I can't see happening. Holland works very hard so we are fine there, but Parker would be better.

it's hard to tell, let's wait and see what happens

Every team who has finsihed 7th in the prem in recent time has fallen away the following year - West Ham were relgeated the year after, Sunderland and Everton finsihed 1 place outside the relegation zone, and blackburn were teetering with releegation this season

We're 12th. Some people, mostly twats who ring up 606, need to get a grip

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We're 12th. Some people, mostly twats who ring up 606, need to get a grip </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you hear the one recently, the man who said he had watched Charlton for years, and now we are boring and Curbishley has to resign icon_mad.gif

I've said it before I think, none of these people can suggest a few managers that we could realistically get and they would do a better job. Really Curbishley has done well with the squad to keep us mid table or above all season, there are a lot of players that just aren't good enough. Strikers that can't score, and have less goals in their career than a decent Premiership striker has in a season or 2, defenders and midfielders that make sillly mistakes etc.

We need some real quality, Jensen, Di Canio and Parker could create a lot of chances, and Parker done a lot of the defending. No one should be expecting Curbishley to suddenly make Jeffers, Murphy and Kishishev do that well. We don't have those sort of players this season. Murphy can do it but the way we play and the players we have doesn't help him.

i have faith that Curbs will bring in some good signings this summer. also the signings from last summer - murphy, rommedahl, and jeffers (if he is still with us) will settle in and do the buisness.

we do need some luck as well. and a penalty wouldnt help either icon_mad.gif but if anyone gets a penalty on sunday it will be palace. we never get one, they have had more than 10 including against us in december.

we didnt deserve to lose against chelsea, hopefully next year we will ride some luck and some things will go for us. its not the manager's fault or the players. i blame the ref. but then i would!

Sounds like new signings are immenant \o/

All Quiet in the east stand - Estate agents may be thrilled to know that one heavily trailed-player is almost certainly on his way to The Valley, by the way.

Chicago Addick - I have heard from a very good source (mate whose brother-in-law is a pro footballer and best pals with a Charlton player) that we are on the verge of announcing a new signing.

I am told it will be a pretty spectacular name and it will break our transfer record. I know the names of the informants but have been sworn to secrecy.

Both very reliable normally. And this is on the official site -

Charlton manager Alan Curbishley has pledged to try to bring in players before letting any of his current squad go as he continues his preparations for the next Premiership season.

Last season Scott Parker, Claus Jensen and Paolo Di Canio all left the club, Carlton Cole decided not to continue his loan while Gary Rowett and Richard Rufus both retired - all before Curbishley completed his 2004/05 squad with the big-money purchases of Danny Murphy and Francis Jeffers just prior to the opening day of the campaign.

This time the Addicks boss aims to have his squad in place well in advance.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I am told it will be a pretty spectacular name and it will break our transfer record. I know the names of the informants but have been sworn to secrecy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So thats at least £5m, really can't see it happening. Would be good to have the signings done early for once, and Curbs first choice ones.

Did anyone go to the reserve final, we lost 4-2 icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by King Jeff:

As long as we can relegate Palace on the last day, I don't really give a **** about any of the other results this year tbh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Foreshadowing :***********)

i'm disappointed we didn't win, but doesn't matter 'cause...

sh la la la, la la la *clap clap*

we sent the palace down!

i just hope curbs brings in some good players and gets rid of some of the dead wood. and then next season really have a go.

HH & JJ have signed new contracts, HH until 2007, JJ until 2006. Defintly need to keep HH, JJ will do as a squad player. Since our squad is so small we may need him at some point. Stuart and Powell left after signing contracts for this season, so if JJ never plays we can always let him go early.

http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=22170&newstype=n

We've also released Long, McCafferty and Gross. I guess they just weren't good enough (well from what the Rushden researcher told me, its unlikely McCafferty would be good enough for the Premiership).

http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=22177

I read annoyance that JJ got a new contract, though as you say we need him as a (hopefully) backup player

HH we definetly need

Why do we hold onto these youngsters for so long? Couldn't we have released them a couple of years ago, surely it would have been clear if they're good enough for Premier league or league two?

When do you reckon the first signings will be coming in?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sivy:

well now Ipswich are out of the play-offs we can sign Darren Bent </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I knew that was going to be mentioned. Are there really no better options and will he get at least 10+ goals in the Premiership? Is he good enough?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scoham:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sivy:

well now Ipswich are out of the play-offs we can sign Darren Bent </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I knew that was going to be mentioned. Are there really no better options and will he get at least 10+ goals in the Premiership? Is he good enough? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd have been keen earlier in the year as we desperately need one, but with the noises coming out how we might be interested in the likes of Corradi, and having seen the play offs and a couple of other matches on TV, i'm not overly impressed anymore

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bellz2002:

how about Dean Ashton now that he is down again </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How much is he going to cost though? We could give them Euell or someone, but then they would just make us pay even more icon_wink.gif!

according to clubcall we're after Peter Crouch.

i would be happy if we got him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably would do alright, better than what we have.

Did you phone it up, or was it on the website? Does anyone actually waste money on those things?

http://www.clubcall.com/vsite/vcontent/content/transnews/0,10869,5034-161010-19728-33213-172678-11987-5024-layout104-178225-news-item,00.html

England ace icon_biggrin.gif

I hope we get some early signings for once so they can fit into the team quicker.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Murray expects there to be "a lot of ins and outs" in Curbishley's playing staff this summer, but says proposals to increase The Valley's capacity to 40,000 - which come before Greenwich Council in six days - will not impact on that.

"The application is in, but even if we do get it approved we won't give the green light to it this summer," he said.

"All of the money goes into squad-building.

"Our wage bill is getting bigger and Alan will get funds to carry on that work. It was always a two-year rebuilding plan, so we're only halfway through it."

And Curbishley revealed he is ready to go back to the drawing board with his management technique next season.

"I'm looking at a different route next season," said Curbishley.

"I'm going to approach it as if I've just taken over at the club. If you just came in you'd say they've got a nice training ground, nice stadium, a decent squad so 'What have I got to do now? And can I do it?'

"Let's attack it that way, rather than say 'We've been here 10 years, what do we need to add to it?'" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sounds really really promising icon14.gif

Oh and congrats to Luke Young on his england call up. Really deserved for the 2nd most consistant english right back atm

does sound good. And yeah, a big mighty handshake and a huge pat on the back for Luke Young for being called up. He does deserve it. Now I hope Neville never comes back into it. He never passes it to anyone but a Man Utd player or Beckham.

Just read this \o/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

EXCLUSIVE: JEFFERS A GIVE-AWAY

By John Cross

CHARLTON boss Alan Curbishley is now ready to give Francis Jeffers away - less than a year after he signed him.

The manager has been unhappy with former Arsenal striker Jeffers' attitude since he moved to The Valley in a deal worth £100,000-per-game rising to a maximum of £2.6m.

Charlton have ended up paying just £500,000 but are now ready to cut their losses and give him away.

Curbishley is also ready to listen to offers for £2m Danish winger Dennis Rommedahl who has failed to settle after moving from PSV Eindhoven.

He is also set to off-load Jason Euell and Jon Fortune in an attempt to shake-up his squad.

But Jeffers' exit is a blow to a once-promising career which saw him capped by England two years ago.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The idea that we spent 2.6m on Jeffers was making me very depressed indeed. I hope the fact we've only ended up paying 500k or so is true icon_cool.gif

I doubt we'll get rid of Rommedahl though - especially if Kezman comes along.

Do you think we can get Kezman? A lot of people don't seem to think he is good enough after a poor season with Chelsea.

I doubt Rommedahl will leave, he needs time to settle, so should be better next season.

Hasn't anyone here read the England tour thread? Sven being critisized for calling up Young because either he isn't good enough or a younger players should be called up.

Young should be ahead of Johnson, he plays reguarly which surely means he deserves a place ahead of some of the suggested right backs (Onuoha at Man City, Taylor at Newcaslte someone mentioned)? I want to see regular first team players in the England squad, not 'young players with potential that played 20 times last season'.

Johnson had had an AWFUL season - in they popped into the chelsea thread that would be made VERY clear.

And anyone who deosn't think Kezman can cut it (or that Rommedahl can create goals) watch this video - and realise how much we need this guy.

It's Large (30mb)- but worth the download icon14.gif

Kezman

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ceevee:

Saturday 6th August vs Charlton Athletic (home) kick-off 3.00pm

seems you've booked a tasty (for us Grays fans) friendly icon_biggrin.gificon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, but thats mostly likely the reserves. The first team play Lazio that day, and Feyenoord on the 3rd August. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedRob:

Kezman 13mb

Here's what could've been last season. A must watch icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if only Kezman came to us. if he and Romm played like that we would have been the team to challenge Everton for sure.

still it's not too late for Kezman to come to us.

oh my f****** god. We have definitely got to keep Rommedahl after watching that video. His crosses were amazing!! hopefully next year he can do that for us, and with a great striker he can play well for us. Hopefully Kezman will come and they can link up again. That way we will be in the top 5 no problem.

they were godly at PSV, that year Kezman scored 35 in 33. Chelsea don't deserve him. Give him us

There are a few decent strikers that could be avaliable, who we've all been linked with before. Just today on the teamtalk website I saw Bent could leave Ipswich, on Sky Sports Riordan could leave Hibs, Corradi is meant to be leaving Valencia and there always a chance of Kezman leaving Chelsea. In the end we'll probably get none of them and sign someone completely different!

Archived