The Charlton Athletic Thread: Season 04/05

FMaddick

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lloyd Sam is in the u20 squad now, along with Stacy long. Sankofa is injured though. I can't go but is this defintly not on any TV channel?

Theres a few pubs near the ground, also there is the bar under/in the ground thats usually supporters club members only but as its England u20s not sure what will happen with that.

i didn't see the u20 game but according to the the cafc site Lloyd Sam played a blinder, and Long did alright too. so is it about time they got their chance in the first team? Sam was on the bench for the newcastle game, but that was down to Thomas being ill and Jeffers & Fortune getting injured on the friday.

as you probably guess from my pervious posts i'm not a fan of Kish and i would like to see either Sam or Long take his place... having said that i have to admit that Kish did play well against Newcastle.

i'm sure one of them could play in the center too.

apparently Curbishly is using charlton's 2 week break to scout for potential transfer targets.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> "We’re still in a situation whereby if we see anything we like, we’ve got some money, so we’ll buy outside of the transfer window. Put them in the squad and keep them there for next season like we did with Hermann Hreidarsson." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Charlton are sending their scouts to watch championship and league one games in search for possible transfer targets.

a league one player who is attracting attention is Walsall's Matty Fryatt. the England under-19 international has scored 12 goals in 15 games, including a spectacular 30-yard volley.

question is who he able to make the step-up from league one to the premiership?

but then could he be any worse than Lisble?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sivy:

question is will he be able to make the step-up from league one to the premiership?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fixed

has everyone read curbishly's article in the guardian?

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,1411920,00.html

it's quite interesting and gives a good insight to AC's average week as charlton boss.

in the article he says that he was at the Birmingham v Southampton to watch Walter Pandiani, Jermain Pennant, Olivier Bernard and Henri Camara. so expect us to be linked to these players come the summer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scoham:

We've been linked with Wes Brown, he's meant to be worth around £4m. We need another defender better than Fish and maybe Fortune really. But I'd guess this is just another thing randomly made up.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Saw on teletex on the charlton page this morning, on the clubcall bit: Charlton linked with Man United star, this is obviously who they meat

There are always two phone numbers, clubcall and this other one, clubcall seems to be alot more reliable often reporting well known things inside the club like who is injured, who is going to get a contract etc. while the other number seems to just report rubbish

So maybe this could be a quite serious rumour, we'll see

We'll definetly have £4m in the summer at least so it's possible, but do we need another central defender, I'd favour a new striker TBH

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'd favour a new striker TBH </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think everyone would. We won't have as much to spend this summer but I hope its more than £3-5m. I can't see us getting a good striker for £2-3m. Jeffers would score goals but he needs to play regulary which means 4-4-2. Hopefully we have him and Bartlett up front against Leicester.

just saw the wes brown rumour. i doubt Man U would sell him, and even if they did i'm sure a host of other clubs would also be interested.

i think we'll have more than £3m in the summer to spend. Euell will probably go so that will bring in £2m maybe. plus what other players leave. and if we do manange to qualify for a UEFA cup place that will bring in a bit more money.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sivy:

scully is a twat, even gillingham fans don't like him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually most Gillingham fans like him. This is because he bought us for £1 when we were teetering on the brink of oblivion in Division 3 and basically transformed us. Without him I'd be watching Kent League football by now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scoham:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'd favour a new striker TBH </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think everyone would. We won't have as much to spend this summer but I hope its more than £3-5m. I can't see us getting a good striker for £2-3m. Jeffers would score goals but he needs to play regulary which means 4-4-2. Hopefully we have him and Bartlett up front against Leicester. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

*>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>My Dog>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jeffers

We've been linked with Wes Brown, he's meant to be worth around £4m. We need another defender better than Fish and maybe Fortune really. But I'd guess this is just another thing randomly made up.

http://www.sportnetwork.net/main/s237/st67055.htm?fromrss=1 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_rolleyes.gif Better then fortune maybe icon15.gif you moron hes MUCH better

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

icon_rolleyes.gif Better then fortune maybe icon15.gif you moron hes MUCH better </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I actually said we need a defender that is better than Fish, Fortune isn't too bad we aren't desperate to replace him, Fish is getting old though so needs replacing icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyway players are automatically 'better' if they play for a bigger club, Glen Johnson could play reguarly at a smaller club but wouldn't get in the England squad.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

icon_rolleyes.gif Better then fortune maybe icon15.gif you moron hes MUCH better </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I actually said we need a defender that is better than Fish, Fortune isn't too bad we aren't desperate to replace him, Fish is getting old though so needs replacing icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyway players are automatically 'better' if they play for a bigger club, Glen Johnson could play reguarly at a smaller club but wouldn't get in the England squad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>no but brown is a real talent, injurys dogged hes carrer if he didnt have them he would be united #1 CB and Englands.

Jeffers is poo he had one good year that was it

He wouldn't be Englands #1 ahead of Ferdinand, Campbell and Terry.

You can say the same thing about injuries with Jeffers he is good enough to score goals, but yes he isn't that good at dribbling or great in the air etc.

there's another report in the papers this morning that Jeffers is unhappy and is looking to move in the summer.

i've said it before and i'll say it again... we should have bought Ashton instead of Jeffers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But Ashton would have been no use in this current system either, with just Bartlett upfront

Jeffers has done well in all the chances he has been given, just a shame that with the current formation doing so well he hasn't had many oppurtunities

playing for England was the worse thing that could of happened to Konchesky. it gave him delusions of grandeur. The fact is even if he played regularly as a left-back he still wouldn’t get in the England side. He’s got more chance of playing for England as a left-sided midfield, but that wouldn’t happen because everyone know full well that he doesn’t like to play there. Even though he’s is better going forward than defending.

What made me laugh was when he requested a transfer because he wasn’t being played in his ‘favourite’ position. then spurs took him on loan only to play him on the left side of midfield… LOL!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FMaddick:

But Ashton would have been no use in this current system either, with just Bartlett upfront

Jeffers has done well in all the chances he has been given, just a shame that with the current formation doing so well he hasn't had many opportunities </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ashton would be better than Jeffers as a lone striker because he is better in the air and can run with the ball. and he's probably better at holding up the ball too.

but you're right Jeffers does deserve more of a chance, and i hope he starts against Leicester on Saturday.

The incident you referred to of Konchesky complaining about playing left midfield only to go on loan to Spurs and play left midfield reminds me of the Kieron Dyer situation.

Dyer refused to play on the right of midfield for Bobby Robson had accused him of wrecking his career. His next game? England. Position he played in? Right midfield.

Now that is not cricket.

As I said in the England thread a while ago, Konchesky didn't really deserve that England call up (Jeffers either). But now in the England squad, we have Glen Johnson, who doesn't even play in Chelseas reserves (because they use their young players), therefore if Gary Neville gets injured, we will have a right back playing that isn't match fit (not that good either) playing, while Luke Young plays well and every week. If people say he isn't England quality, then that just shows we (as in England) aren't as good as we like to think.

Hopefully we see Jeffers and Bartlett together on Saturday against Leicester.

When Sven called up Chris Powell many people were questioning why. THen he played really well in his 3 England caps IMO and only a drop in performances for Charlton denied him winning more caps in the end. At this moment I'd be surprised if he called up Luke Young, but he'd be another one who'd probably come in and do really well to be honest. Besides Young is better than Danny Mills or Jamie Carragher.

If Wes Brown is that good and Jeffers is that bad why is Brown being linked with the club that bought what you think is such a bad striker in Jeffers? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The Wes Brown story is ******** he would never go to such a low level

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GillsMan:

When Sven called up Chris Powell many people were questioning why. THen he played really well in his 3 England caps IMO and only a drop in performances for Charlton denied him winning more caps in the end. At this moment I'd be surprised if he called up Luke Young, but he'd be another one who'd probably come in and do really well to be honest. Besides Young is better than Danny Mills or Jamie Carragher. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was a shame Powell was called up so late in his career. Carragher is playing centre back now so I really don't see many options, but of course people instantly say Young isn't good enough because he plays for Charlton.

If Wes Brown is that good and Jeffers is that bad why is Brown being linked with the club that bought what you think is such a bad striker in Jeffers? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The Wes Brown story is ******** he would never go to such a low level </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just like Rommedahl and Murphy wouldn't? It most probably isn't true but there aren't many other clubs in England he could go to which would be any better.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GillsMan:

When Sven called up Chris Powell many people were questioning why. THen he played really well in his 3 England caps IMO and only a drop in performances for Charlton denied him winning more caps in the end. At this moment I'd be surprised if he called up Luke Young, but he'd be another one who'd probably come in and do really well to be honest. Besides Young is better than Danny Mills or Jamie Carragher. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was a shame Powell was called up so late in his career. Carragher is playing centre back now so I really don't see many options, but of course people instantly say Young isn't good enough because he plays for Charlton.

If Wes Brown is that good and Jeffers is that bad why is Brown being linked with the club that bought what you think is such a bad striker in Jeffers? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The Wes Brown story is ******** he would never go to such a low level </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just like Rommedahl and Murphy wouldn't? It most probably isn't true but there aren't many other clubs in England he could go to which would be any better.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scoham

Just like Rommedahl and Murphy wouldn't? It most probably isn't true but there aren't many other clubs in England he could go to which would be any better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Newcastle, Liverpool, Arsenal possibly boro

Newcaslte most likely won't be in Europe next season, and will be building everything back up. Can't see Liverpool buying many English players, especially not from Man Utd, same with Arsenal. Unless Boro get into Europe they won't be considered much better, apart from much higher wages of course.

thought i might as well bump up this thread...

that is a good point with lukey young. he is a class defender and should get his chance. he deserves it. but we are considered an unattractive club for some reason. we the mighty charlton are not deemed as good as teams like tottenham even though we have performed consistently well now for 4 years.

but im glad sven called up chrissy powell cos an english manager would not have picked him cos he played for charlton. lol konchesky, unlucky bastard! he is a quality player but he should just realise that he will be best off staying with us deep in SE7. glad he's off the list.

jeffers looked a good buy, but give him time, he takes chances when he's given them. he's done well considering.

now heres my predictions/thoughts for summer transfer activity:

euell will go to someone cos its obvious that he aint happy, and it could give curbs some extra money with what to buy solid decent players with.

we will get another defender, probably a foreign dude on loan for a year to help out. i would not be surprised if we made a shock swoop for an ac milan defender...

and it would be very helpful if we got another striker but on loan, with a view to permanant deal. someone like zalayeta from juve or cassano from roma or maybe even alessandro simonetta the young 18 year old from roma. i would like to see inzaghi come to the valley. and although it seems unlikely and hugely unrealistic, just think about it, it could happen.

do your best curbs, icon14.gif

**** **** bugger crap arsebiscuits **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****

out of the damn cup AGAIN to a smaller side. just rang my grandad who went to the game and he said we were truly awful. like we didnt turn up. leicester deserved to win cos they wanted it more than us..

WHY????? why cant we play well in the cup?? EH? icon_mad.gif

i don't think the players are totally to blame.

Curb's has got to mix it up a bit. if he sticks with the 4-5-1 all the time then teams are going to rip us apart. all teams do their homework before games. leicester probably guessed that we would play 4-5-1 so they watched the liverpool game over and over again to see how to counter it.

supposed Charlton transfer target Lisandro Lopez has been called up to the argentina squad for the friendly against Mexico.

which in a way is unfortunate (if he is a target for charlton) as it will no doubt bump up his value and make more clubs take notice.

predictions for the game against boro?

it would be great to get a result but i think it will 1-1

Archived