The Charlton Athletic Thread: Season 04/05

FMaddick

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rich:

I hope you do sign him because then we definitely won't icon14.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because you don't need him, or you have better players (icon_rolleyes.gif) already?

• 3 weeks later...

anyone go to the charlton boro game the other week?

Who the hell was that awful band on before the game? And do they always make you sit through some dull anti racism film at half time. It was like being in an RE lesson.

I DEMAND CHEERLEADERS AND PEOPLE TAKING PENALTIES!!!! (angry face)

Whos you stadium superviser gadge so I can complain?

well i havent been to a game since boxing day but im going to see charlton vs arsenal on jan 1st!! woo! cos im now based in sheffield i cant see them at home v. much. icon_frown.gif

however, questions to you people, when i was a season ticket holder during the good ol' days of div 1 and 1st two prem years (1996-2001), keithy peacock used to do his little thing prematch where he would keep volleying the ball up and into the goal from 30 yards!!

does he still do that?

and our announcer dude is world class!!

No 6: Mark.... FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESH! icon_biggrin.gif

come on, we love it!

oh and that video thing at half time, count yourself lucky, when i were a lad ( :p ), we didnt have no screen or even a scoreboard. then i harassed the website asking for one. looks like i got me wish!!

• 1 month later...

out of the lastest transfer rumours, which would you most like to be true?

Maxi Lopez (River)

Lisandro Lopez (Racing Club)

Michael Dawson (Forest)

Andy Reid (Forest)

Darren Bent (Ipswich)

Greedy ******* (Chelsea) loan

Stephane Henchoz (Liverpool)

Dean Ashton (Crewe)

i would love to see Dean Ashton or Maxi Lopez sign for us. Dawson or Reid would be good.

what about that chelsea reserve player, 'he who should not be named'?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sivy:

out of the lastest transfer rumours, which would you most like to be true?

Maxi Lopez (River)

Lisandro Lopez (Racing Club)

Michael Dawson (Forest)

Andy Reid (Forest)

Darren Bent (Ipswich)

Greedy ******* (Chelsea) loan

Stephane Henchoz (Liverpool)

Dean Ashton (Crewe)

i would love to see Dean Ashton or Maxi Lopez sign for us. Dawson or Reid would be good.

what about that chelsea reserve player, 'he who should not be named'? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We always sign players we aren't linked with. I don't see why Reid would be worth the amount of money now Thomas has been given a chance. The Chelsea player doesn't actually play in their reserves, they play their younger players in there. Another centre back would help as Fish is slow, Fortune does a job but can be a dodgy sometimes, Ashton is realistic as I don't think Crewe could ask for £5-6m like Ipswich are with Bent, or Southampton with Beattie. Shouldn't we give Jeffers or Euell a fair chance up front before spending a few million on another striker when we only play one. Are the media just getting confused over the 2 Lopez players or what icon_confused.gif

Great win today icon_cool.gif

Keep it going lads icon14.gif

IMO from what has occured since we've had money to spend, we will not sign any of those players we've been linked to

I would like to see Euell or Jeffers up front, maybe an injury to Bartlett would open the door as I cannot see Curbishley fiddling with the opening team.

BTW, Jerome Thomas is fantastic

Up the Addicks icon_smile.gif

We never usually sign players we are linked with. Thomas and El Karkouri have done really well, El Karkouri is joint top scorer as well any quite a few people just assumed he wasn't good enough. Might have to wait until the Rochdale game to see Jeffers/Euell in the team, they defintly should get a chance in the team soon.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scoham:

We never usually sign players we are linked with. Thomas and El Karkouri have done really well, El Karkouri is joint top scorer as well any quite a few people just assumed he wasn't good enough. Might have to wait until the Rochdale game to see Jeffers/Euell in the team, they defintly should get a chance in the team soon. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good idea about the Rochdale game, the ideal time for Curbishley to tinker with the team

It just makes me laugh to see El Karkouri and jefers are joint top scorers icon_biggrin.gif

One's a defender and the other has hardly played

There's no point in us signing anyone if we're not going to play them

*everybody!* we've got Talal El Karkouri! we've got Talal El Karkouri! we've got Talal El Karkouri! ....

oh my god. i was at the everton and arsenal games, first time ive been to the valley since we beat chelsea boxing day 2003, and i must say i am EXTREMELY impressed with our best centreback, Talal El Karkouri. omg he's amazing! and as for his goal against dirty Arsenal, wow! what a goal! the video screen bloke replayed it about 12 times! icon14.gif

and i have been very worried about Jon Fortune. he always makes mistakes, he gave away two goals against arsenal. he gave away the goal against blackburn. he is not good enough imo. but dont fear cos we are getting Sebastian Dominguez from Newell's Old Boys in Argentina. should be good. cos we need a decent centreback to go with El Karkouri. although...could play like this:

Kiely

Young El Karkouri Hreidarsson Konchesky

Holland Kishishev

Rommedahl Murphy Thomas

Bartlett

that be good.

thomas is amazing! he too is a bargain buy. rommedahl i am not convinced with yet. he's got talent but he doesnt do anything unless the ball is at his feet. he doesnt like to get stuck in. he's a bit of a chicken when it comes to tackles you see. oh well.

bartlett hangs in the air for ages, which is what you need. but to cut a long story short(er) i was very pleased with those two games i saw. great being back home again. now im up in the steel city and hoping to see the super team away to Everton on Jan 22nd.

No no no Konchesky is a poor left back, and when HH is in the centre he hits everything up in the air. He is good defending and going forward we should use those abilities he needs to play left back. Dominguez is just a rumour probably not true as usual. Hopefully we sign a centre back though as Fortune makes silly mistakes. A goalscoring striker that can play on his own up front would be good as well.

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=247766&cpid=23&CLID=33&lid=&title=Addicks+in+Valencia+enquiry&channel=Football_Home

What does anyone know about him?

Henchoz has rejected Rangers as he wants to 'stay in the premiership'.

Dawson is no longer a target after forest valued him as £6m.

Crewe are holding out for £3m for Dean Ashton.

spurs have had a £2m bid rejected and norwich are out of the running.

a Corradi loan move looks possible.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It was a dream return to the first team for Bryan Hughes, with the midfielder claiming two goals as Charlton breezed into the fourth round of the FA Cup. Hughes scored one in each half, with Jonathan Fortune and Danny Murphy also hitting the net to dispose of League Two outfit Rochdale, and helping banish words such as Walsall and Gillingham from the script.

The scoreline eventually flattered the Addicks, with Rochdale enjoying a number of chances in the first period and could have forged their way back from a two-goal deficit with Grant Holt scoring early in the second half before a fine save from Dean Kiely denied Paul Tait.

While a good afternoon was only made better by the return of Mark Fish to first-team duties, the downside was that the South African came on for the last 10 minutes because of Fortune's departure by stretcher.

Alan Curbishley had made three changes to personnel from the side that lost 1-0 to Blackburn Rovers five days previously, with Hughes, Francis Jeffers and Jason Euell replacing Radostin Kishishev, Dennis Rommedahl and Murphy.

Jeffers replaced Jonatan Johansson as lone striker, with the Finn taking Rommedahl's place on the right wing against a side that had lost just once in 11 games prior to their Valley trip.

It was two of the new boys who combined to put the Addicks ahead, with Hughes recording his first senior goal for the club since joining from Birmingham City in the summer.

He did hit one against Wycombe Wanderers in pre-season, but his first-team chances have been few and far between despite some impressive performances for the reserves.

Indeed this was his first start since September - and only his fourth of the entire campaign - but he produced some tidy play in the centre of midfield alongside Matt Holland.

He may not have the industrial muscle of Kishishev, but he hit a terrific throughball for Jeffers in the 14th minute that allowed the striker a run on goal before being dispossessed by Daryl Burgess as he prepared to shoot.

Jeffers didn't forget that assist, and just four minutes later he played provider for his fellow Liverpudlian.

Talal El Karkouri broke from defence, and as soon he made it into Rochdale's half The Valley echoed with cries of "shoot"!

But the Moroccan instead hit a measured pass to the right, with Jeffers cleverly beating Dale's offside trap before drilling across goal.

A flurry of players threw themselves at the ball, but it was Hughes who was just able to add the touch to knock home from well within the six-yard box.

Dale were also stretched on several occasions by Jerome Thomas, the winger showing just why Alan Curbishley had decided to give him a 13th consecutive start instead of giving Paul Konchesky a rare run from the beginning.

Thomas gave full-back Wayne Evans a torrid time throughout the afternoon, although his fancy turns and flicks sometimes drifted into the indulgent category.

But he played a number of good balls through to Jeffers and Johansson - who joined the attack on the half-hour mark after starting on the right wing - and also helped cause a few problems for Matthew Gilks with a number of crosses that caught the strong wind at The Valley.

The conditions were something of a 'leveller' - that word which always comes out at this time of the year - and both sides just managed to avoid catastrophes with the odd misdirected back-header or scufffed clearance.

Rochdale certainly played a big part in proceedings, with Holt forcing a great save from Dean Kiely with the last kick of the first half, and also failing to take advantage after beating Charlton's offside trap to meet Jamie Clarke's free-kick.

The impressive Leo Bertos - strolling between midfield and attack - also forced a good save from Kiely, and hit a cracking ball from the left into the danger zone with Holt and Paul Tait just unable to direct home.

Clinical they weren't. But although Charlton failed to prove there is such a massive gap between the Premiership and League Two with their performance, they still went in two up at the break.

It was a real training ground manouevre as Matt Holland whipped in a corner which Johansson nodded into the six-yard box, and there was Fortune to volley home from just a couple of feet out.

Gilks got his hands to the ball, but could only push above himself and into the back of the net, with Fortune scoring his first goal since May.

But for all his wasting of opportunities in the first period, it took just five minutes of the second half for Holt to make amends.

Charlton had already seen a couple of good breaks come and go - which suggested the second half could be a bit of a stroll - before a Dale throughball found just El Karkouri and the 18-goal striker.

But the Moroccan fell, allowing Holt to become the 19-goal striker as he confidently took a touch into the area and then fired just inside Kiely's right post.

El Karkouri made amends for that mistake moments later when he just threw a foot in the way to prevent Tait from meeting Ernie Cooksey's header down in front of goal.

And that intervention allowed the Addicks to restore their two-goal lead in the 55th minute with Hughes obviously delighted to score his second of the afternoon.

Murphy - a half-time substitute for Euell - fired a free-kick against the wall, and was then allowed another shot which Tait deflected wide.

The ball cannoned to Thomas, who chipped a deep cross into the danger area, and there was Hughes to rise above the defence and head home.

Still Dale tried their best to get back into the game, with Kiely stretching his full frame to just palm Tait's looping header over the crossbar.

Then Thomas broke down the left and was clattered down by Burgess - the veteran defender picking up a booking - and the Addicks offered a free-kick very wide on the left wing and some 25 yards from goal.

Murphy curled the set-piece into the box, and Jeffers rose to meet it. But although the striker missed the header his jump seemed to block Gilks' view and the ball was in the back of the net for a fourth time.

The ex-Liverpool man needed confirmation from the ex-Everton man that there had been no extra touch, and Murphy could claim his second cup goal of the season - both from free-kicks following his belter at Grimsby Town in September.

Dale seemed to tire somewhat in the last 20 minutes of the match, which allowed a number of breaks for the Addicks through Thomas or the fresh legs of Paul Konchesky.

But too often they would be caught out as they took a touch or played a pass too many.

A rare chance for Dale in the 73rd minute saw Fortune forced to throw himself into a tackle in the area, and the defender picked up a knock that forced him to be stretchered off.

Mark Fish came on to make his first appearance since the trip to Manchester City on August 28th, and immediately made an impact as he headed away from Burgess from a Dale corner, and later headed a Dale free-kick off the line.

Charlton: Kiely, Young, Hreidarsson, El Karkouri, Fortune (Fish 75), Hughes, Holland, Thomas, Johansson (Konchesky 79), Euell (Murphy 46), Jeffers.

Subs (not used): Andersen, Rommedahl.

Goals: Hughes 18, 55, Fortune 44, Murphy 65.

Rochdale: Gilks, Evans, Cooksey (McGivern 85), Burgess, Bertos, Holt, Tait (Atieno 67), Jones, Goodall, Heald, Clarke (Warner 76).

Subs (not used): Edwards, Gallimore.

Goal: Holt 51.

Booking: Burgess 63 (foul on Thomas).

Ref: R Beeby.

Att: 13,995.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Match Highlights

TEAM NEWS: Jeffers, Euell and Hughes replace Kishishev, Murphy and Rommedahl.

9: Thomas whips in cross but Gilks claims ahead of Hughes and Jeffers.

14: Fortune's misdirected header from a Dale free-kick causes problems in Charlton's packed penalty area.

14: A saving tackle by Burgess just prevents Jeffers from a shot on goal. The striker had been played through by Hughes.

18: GOAL! Hughes just taps home, meeting Jeffers' low cross after an El Karkouri throughball. (Addicks 1 Rochdale 0)

22:Jones fires well wide from the edge of Charlton's area.

23: Holt is the only man to react to Clarke's vicious swinging free-kick, but he heads wide from within the six-yard box.

27: Jeffers digs out a shot that Gilks does well to parry wide.

29: Bertos cuts inside from the right and shoots, forcing a good save from Kiely.

33: A testing low cross by Bertos causes problems in Charlton's box, but neither Tait or Holt can take advantage of the Addicks' indecision.

40: Johansson flicks over Burgess' tackle, but then volleys well over the crossbar.

41: Dale only clear El Karkouri's free-kick to the edge of the area - with Hughes volleying and Jeffers just missing the touch needed to surely double the lead.

44: GOAL!: Fortune volleys home from close range following a corner, with Gilks only able to push into the back of the net. (Addicks 2 Rochdale 0)

45: Kiely saves well from a Holt piledriver - virtually the last kick of the half.

HALF TIME: Addicks 2 Rochdale 0

46: Thomas plays inside to Hughes, who is tackled just as he is about to take a shot.

51: GOAL! Holt drills home to Kiely's right, with El Karkouri having fallen as he attempted to claim the throughball. (Addicks 2 Rochdale 1)

53: Johansson seems to be tugged back by Goodall as he runs onto Murphy's throughball on the edge of the area.

54: El Karkouri clears from Tait's boot in front of goal, the two attempting to meet Cooksey's header.

55: GOAL! Hughes heads over Gilks, meeting a deep cross from Thomas after Murphy's shot had been blocked by Tait. (Addicks 3 Rochdale 1)

60: Kiely just manages to palm Tait's looping header over the bar.

65: Burgess booked for crunching foul on Thomas.

65: GOAL! Murphy curls the free-kick home from 25 yards out, goalkeeper Gilks unsighted thanks to Jeffers' attempts to meet it. (Addicks 4 Rochdale 1)

73: Fortune is stretchered off after a clash with Bertos in the penalty area - with Fish making his first appearance since August.

79: Konchesky replaces Johansson.

80: Fish heads a Dale free-kick clear off the goal line.

89: Kiely saves well from Holt's shot from the left of the area.

FULL TIME: Addicks 4 Rochdale 1

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Charlton Athletic manager Alan Curbishley has confirmed he is keen on Valencia striker Bernardo Corradi.

The Italian forward's agent Moreno Roggi told skysports.com earlier in the week that he has spoken to The Addicks.

Roggi expects to resume negotiations with the Premiership side on Monday, with Charlton willing to take Corradi on loan for the rest of the season.

Addicks chief Curbishley acknowledged he has talked with Roggi but does not appear sweet on his prospects of landing Corradi.

"I have spoken to his agent but there is nothing ongoing," commented Curbishley.

Corradi only joined Valencia last summer from Lazio but has struggled to establish himself with the reigning Spanish champions.

He did recently admit that he is starting to find his feet in La Liga but could be offered a route into The Premiership.

Curbishley will now have to wait to learn whether his efforts to land the Italy international will meet with success.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Southampton are lining up a bid of £2.5m for Jason Euell, according to the DAILY EXPRESS.

probably not true... but what if it is?

is it time for euell to move on?

£2.5m would bump the transfer kitty to around £6m, which isn't a bad thing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sivy:

Southampton are lining up a bid of £2.5m for Jason Euell, according to the DAILY EXPRESS.

probably not true... but what if it is?

is it time for euell to move on?

£2.5m would bump the transfer kitty to around £6m, which isn't a bad thing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope it's true, and if it is, I hope Curbishley sells him

£2.5m would be alot more useful than a player who just sits on the bench, like you say £6m transfer budget would be very useful

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by King Jeff:

I still think Jason would be more effective for us at the front of the 4-5-1 than Bartlett, but whatever. I'm concerned about the Yeovil game in the Cup tbh. Seems like a classic banana skin game to me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think he would be better than Bartlett, but at the same time I can't see Curbishley changing it any time soon so I think it's be better to cash in

Plus we could spend £6m on a very good quality player to be the lone striker

and according in the Daily Mail, charlton are interested in Michael Tonge.

but do we need another midfielder at the moment?

surely a striker is our top priority.

we should go back in for Darren Bent, and let them have Stuart, maybe we could palm off Lisbie as well icon_biggrin.gif

and according in the Daily Mail, charlton are interested in Michael Tonge.

but do we need another midfielder at the moment?

surely a striker is our top priority.

we should go back in for Darren Bent, and let them have Stuart, maybe we could palm off Lisbie as well icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think they're just making stuff up really, we don't need Tonge.

Bent will cost too much I can't see us spending £5m on a division 1 striker, actually unlikely to be any striker at the moment. Also we would have to sell someone which Curbs doesn't want to do.

I think whats happening is we've scouted a few of these European teams, maybe spoken to agents and suddenly we want to sign all these strikers. Remember Saviola in August, and Batistuta the year before? Hope we get a decent striker though, a loan will do.

Just thought, if theres anyone here that watches reserve or u18 games, could you say as you might be able to help with stuff for the players next time SI need FM data to be updated. Either say on here or email me as its better players have a rough idea of their attributes than nothing at all.

An update on latest transfer gossip…

Ray Lewington has said that, reported Charlton target, Heidar Helguson isn’t for sale

Charlton are considering biding for Wigan’s Nathan Ellington. Ellington would cost £3m as he has a minimum release fee clause in his contract.

Mark Fish is wanted by Chris Coleman to add some experience to Fulham’s defence.

Jason Euell is, apparently, a wanted man. with Middlesbrough, Southampton, Palace and Norwich all interested in acquiring his services.

Curbishly has said he doesn’t want to sell him, but a bid of around £2m would probably change his mind.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FMaddick:

IMO:

Sell Euell for £2m+ if anyone wants him for that

Sell Fish for £1m if we can get a decent enough replacement

Maybe Ellington, see if we can't get better for £5m with the Euell money <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

sounds good, although i doubt we could get £1m for Fish, maybe half that.

We never get much for players we sell, £250k probably the most for Fish icon_frown.gif

Euell though we could probably get a few £m but apart from Boro (why would they want him icon_confused.gif) the others are in a relegation battle not sure he would go there. Plus these are all rumours, Euell leaving has been denied and everything.

Would be good to us sign someone, but not many teams seems to be signing anyone.

today's rumours...

Charlton and Bolton are both reported to be showing an interest in Cameroon defender Bill Tchato.

Tchato's Profile

Fulham are making a second bid for Fish, who's contract expires in May, believed to be around £100k.

now, are you ready for silly rumour?

according to a chelsea fan site a reported target for Spurs has opted to join Charlton instead. it doesn't go into details about who it is or who it might be. however according to other football sites the only Chelsea player spurs are believed to be interest in is Carlton Cole, which they have apparently bid £3m for.

as i said, a silly rumour... but then you never know icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FMaddick:

but I can't see any of the fans liking it icon13.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i wouldn't mind, carlton cole is a good player.

you can sort of understand why he wanted to leave charlton. he wasn't getting many chances due to the defensive football we were playing. and the whole point of him coming to us was to show chelsea he is worthy of a place in their first team.

Well I think he realises now that that isn’t going to happen. So if it’s a choice of going to spurs and being 4th choice or going to Charlton and almost certainly be in the first team, well I know what I would pick… especially now Charlton are playing more attacking football thanks to Murphy and Thomas

Archived