"The new DRM will ruin the game!"

With your 2nd point, they can do that anyway and more. What would you suggest then? Only have 1 install and that would solve your 2nd point.

I just pointed out how they think it will stop piracy yet there is a huge hole in their thinking that wont even stop casual piracy, never mind cracked piracy by the groups.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You always talk about "fanboys" while I have not seen hardly any. Most people on here know there is flaws in the game. I don't want to go off on a tandem here but why do you always seem to bring "fanboys" in to every debate you are involved in?

Whats your problem, I wasnt going on about them in a negative way, I just used the term instead of hardcore supporters. I never thought someone would go PC over the term fanboy.

Best post i have seen for a while here.:thup:

I can easily live with security but all this activation on their servers and only 5 installs makes me sick, sure go ahead and put alot of anti piracy stuff on there but you dont have to limit our installs or make us have to activate on your servers... I dont want to call in and beg for a new install when my six install comes, having the cd in while playing it ? Well it is a bit annoying but much better than this alternative.

Btw...I have just reported you for having duplicate accounts, is this AJ1? Coincidence how you have just joined the forum to backup AJ1.

Whats your problem, I wasnt going on about them in a negative way, I just used the term instead of hardcore supporters. I never thought someone would go PC over the term fanboy.

Sorry if that seemed post seemed angry but it was not meant to be. :D

I just noticed that several debates you are involved in that you mention the term and can't see what relevance it has. That is all.

I don't think DRM will inconvenience hardly anyone so that is why I don't understand all this arguing about it.

I am also not sure that it will affect pirating the game at all but I don't know.

Btw...I have just reported you for having duplicate accounts, is this AJ1? Coincidence how you have just joined the forum to backup AJ1.

Couldnt you just have reported me without this post ? Not that i care because you are the one who will look foolish when they look up my IP/Mail adress or whatever... I'm not AJ1, i can even give you a picture of a postit on my ass saying I'm Not AJ1 and we can ask him for a picture too ? Oh well report button is for reporting as far as i know and you should leave it at that because i'm not that guy.

Just because i just registered does that make my opinion worth less or not valid ? Jesus christ way too annoy new members. :thup:

Couldnt you just have reported me without this post ? Not that i care because you are the one who will look foolish when they look up my IP/Mail adress or whatever... I'm not AJ1, i can even give you a picture of a postit on my ass saying I'm Not AJ1 and we can ask him for a picture too ? Oh well report button is for reporting as far as i know and you should leave it at that because i'm not that guy.

That didn't do much to help your case

I believe they will have to have something on the box about the DRM and people know more about DRM than you realise.

http://www.amazon.com/Spore-Mac/dp/B000FKBCX4/ref=sr_1_1/189-3393423-0689234?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1226281512&sr=1-1

2600 of the 3100 votes game the game a 1 star due to the DRM. Read the reviews to educate yourself on peoples feelings about DRM and how this drove half a million people to download it DRM free.

If you read carefully the vast majority of people voting 1 star have already bought it, not to mention it still stands as the one of the great interactivist bandwagons of the year after Obama's fundraising machine and The Sun egging on lots of anal retentives to complain about BBC2 presenters. Spore was the first big one to have a lot of fuss. The next one will be Blizzards next release.

For the record, Securom, formerly used by FM, is now deemed FAR worse than Starforce in terms of hideous security measures. Be thankful SI hasn't gone with them.

I don't think DRM will inconvenience hardly anyone so that is why I don't understand all this arguing about it.

I am also not sure that it will affect pirating the game at all but I don't know.

My sentiments exactly,

I think this whole thing should now just be left until release to see what happens, we have all had our say and I don't think anything good can come of us carrying this on now

Sorry if that seemed post seemed angry but it was not meant to be. :D

I just noticed that several debates you are involved in that you mention the term and can't see what relevance it has. That is all.

Look at the link for spore at amazon and see what people think, people are boycotting all EA games just because of that.

The only positive I can see is the game might be delayed in being cracked as it seems to be the 1st ever game released with this protection. Apart from that, everything else is negative.

Some people dont like being trodden on, for example the government wants to log all our net activity and have microphones in lamp posts to spy on us. Now the people who are supporting DRM here will be in the "it wont affect me so it doesnt matter" while I think its disgraceful.

Just because i just registered does that make my opinion worth less or not valid ? Jesus christ way too annoy new members. :thup:

I appologise if your not AJ1. But I felt I had to report because it seemed very suspicious that no one complemented your initial post and someone NEW to the forums did...oh and they registered today and replied to 2 topic related to DRM...one being your intial post.

I believe they will have to have something on the box about the DRM and people know more about DRM than you realise.

http://www.amazon.com/Spore-Mac/dp/B000FKBCX4/ref=sr_1_1/189-3393423-0689234?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1226281512&sr=1-1

2600 of the 3100 votes game the game a 1 star due to the DRM. Read the reviews to educate yourself on peoples feelings about DRM and how this drove half a million people to download it DRM free.

Yes, the DRM on Spore is far more invasive and restrictive than anything FM is using. DRM is not a homogenous entity, there are different forms of it, and most people who toss the term around really have no idea what it means. The SI DRM is much more similar to the iTunes DRM.

Anyway, 90% of the people who have gone on amazon to rate are the same whiny drama queens that congregate on forums. And they are being told in certain places to go to amazon and rate it 1. It was still top of the bestseller list for quite some while.

Could someone PLEASE tell me ONE thing:

Why was there NEVER ANY uproar, when we had to enter that VERY same serial code to install games some 10 years ago?

PLEASE?

I'm clueless as to why there is all this fuss now when measures like this have been taken for years, can't see why this particular measure is causing so much fuss

Why was there NEVER ANY uproar, when we had to enter that VERY same serial code to install games some 10 years ago?

PLEASE?

1. You didnt have to connect to the internet.

2. Wait for the release of the game when you bought it legally and possible server downtime at SI which happened at Bioshock, Half life 2 and Spore release.

3. You could install it all the times you wanted to (I probably installed a game like dungeon keeper and black and white 30 times and not just crappy 5).

:)

In my opinion I reckon the people that say they will not buy FM due to DRM is just their views and they will buy FM if they love playing FM. Most people are against something because of anger the majority of the time.

Just to make you look like an ass i've reported you for having a duplicate account.

Why you ask?

Because theres a few people here who've agreed with you, therefore by your own measures, they must be accounts you created.

PLEASE?

Because you could play that any time you wanted

because you didnt have to phone or activate it

because you were never at risk of losing all your installations

because there was no chance of being on the phone for hours to activate your game

because there was no risk of the activation servers going down

because there was no risk of the company going bust.

Just to make you look like an ass i've reported you for having a duplicate account.

Why you ask?

Because theres a few people here who've agreed with you, therefore by your own measures, they must be accounts you created.

As far as I can see, none of the people agreeing with Navie have registered today and quoted a long rant of his as an opener to the debate

Look at the link for spore at amazon and see what people think, people are boycotting all EA games just because of that.

The only positive I can see is the game might be delayed in being cracked as it seems to be the 1st ever game released with this protection. Apart from that, everything else is negative.

Some people dont like being trodden on, for example the government wants to log all our net activity and have microphones in lamp posts to spy on us. Now the people who are supporting DRM here will be in the "it wont affect me so it doesnt matter" while I think its disgraceful.

I am not in "it wont affect me so it doesnt matter" camp but cannot actually see how it will affect hardly anyone. If someone can show me exactly it definitely affects them then I will change my opinion.

As far as I can see, none of the people agreeing with Navie have registered today and quoted a long rant of his as an opener to the debate

Nevertheless people have agreed with Navie, therefore by his own judgement, those are duplicate accounts, and therefore must be investigated.

Yes, the DRM on Spore is far more invasive and restrictive than anything FM is using. DRM is not a homogenous entity, there are different forms of it, and most people who toss the term around really have no idea what it means. The SI DRM is much more similar to the iTunes DRM.

Anyway, 90% of the people who have gone on amazon to rate are the same whiny drama queens that congregate on forums. And they are being told in certain places to go to amazon and rate it 1. It was still top of the bestseller list for quite some while.

Of course spore was more invasive but the same applies to the FM DRM.

Also, I wonder how many copies of Spore were returned because of the DRM. The DRM cause spore to be a huge failure.

Why you ask?

And what did you give my alias name as?...oh right...you randomly picked it from another thread, yeah...thats really going to work :D

I had a ligitimate reason to report.

Nevertheless people have agreed with Navie, therefore by his own judgement, those are duplicate accounts, and therefore must be investigated.

Not at all, there were very good reasons Navie reported you, whereas you have reported him out of spite

If you don't have an alias account fair enough he or whoever reported made a mistake but that is just childish. :rolleyes:

No, internet forum users are whiny drama-queens with an overinflated ego.

Most people who play FM won't have ever even heard of DRM, in any case.

I find your comment to be offensive.

I read and contribute to this forum because I enjoy the game and the forum.

To suggest that because I do that makes me a "whiny drama-queens with an overinflated ego" it insulting.

If that's the best you can come up with, I suggest you withdraw from the debate.

Both of these figures are moronic, and it has already been explained to you why.

Explain it to me again then, because i fail to see how anybody here can tell me that im wrong?

Pirates stopped from playing the game = ZERO!

Customer stopped from playing the game = Depends ...

If activation server goes down - Everybody

If Install Limit Reached and didnt Uninstall - A Few

If Tech Support Is Jammed up with Customer A who has hit his install limit just before you did - Quite a few

If SI refuse to give you a new key because you havent given sufficient proof of purchase - You

I hope you all notice something here.

The only people these measures actually inconvenience or have the potential to cause problems for, is the PAYING CUSTOMER NOT THE PIRATE.

Am i the only who see's this?!

Not at all, there were very good reasons Navie reported you, whereas you have reported him out of spite

He reported me because ANOTHER MEMBER AGREED WITH ME!

How is that a good reason?! LOL!

I reported Navie to make him look like the idiot he is.

Why you ask?

Are your parents related or something? Jeez, what a pathetic post.

If my computer has died five times then its not worth having?

Virus - 1 Format and 1 Installation

Trojan - 1 Format and 1 Installation

Corrupt Driver - 1 Format and 1 Installation

Install on Laptop - 1 Installation

Hard Drive Fails - 1 Installation / New Hard Drive

So just from that list of very probable events, i have five installations and 4 formats.

You clearly dont have a clue about computing or you would never post something so stupid.

In over 10 years of owning a pc I have never had a virus or trojan that required a full format. At the very least you could uninstall the game before you format.

I agree with AJ1 on this. All you guys who are right to voice your opinion saying "So what? It will only tale a few minutes" For me that isn't the point. The point that paying £25 - £30 for a game that is limited doesn't seem right.

Sure I may never use the 5 installs, sure I can activate online in a few minutes, but I shouldn't have to. I pay the money to go home, install and play.

Because you could play that any time you wanted

because you didnt have to phone or activate it

because you were never at risk of losing all your installations

because there was no chance of being on the phone for hours to activate your game

because there was no risk of the activation servers going down

because there was no risk of the company going bust.

Gven the number of households world wide connected to the internet (via broadband, let alone dial-up) as well as spending 10p to make a phone call - that is a moot point.

If you have a computer that's hard disk drive fails on you 5 times over the course of a year, I think you have larger issues at hand, namely how you treat your computer.

What proof is there of this being an issue? - Moot.

What proof is there of this being an issue? Also ask yourself, this is hardly SI's most ground breaking release of all time. This isn't CM01/02, dont expect yourself to revisiting this for nostalgias sake some years down the line.

The probability of Sega going bust is so slim it's quite amazing...

It doesn't matter if he reported me because I don't have an alias, the mods will know who has an alias and who does not.

Clearly they do, and you have lots of them, judging by your own standards of course.

Are your parents related or something? Jeez, what a pathetic post.

Your the one wearing aftershave that only attracts your sister.

---

Ross21 agreed with me Navie - Report him for masquerading as me will you :) - your doing a great things for the forums Navie - making yourself look like an ass!

No, he reported you because someone who had just joined the forum, joined the debate on your side, quoting your long post about DRM, to me and obv Navie, that looks unlike a coincidence and by reporting Navie "to make him look like the idiot he is" you have proven yourself to be an idiot as that was an immature response to take, if this other member really isn't you, there is no need to get yourself so het up about it

I didn't report you because another member agreed with you...if someone agrees with you then great! I reported you because I was suspicious that another member agreed with you and he joined today and I suspected that to be you, its got nothing to do with anything about someone agreeing with your post.

I didn't report you because another member agreed with you...if someone agrees with you then great! I reported you because I was suspicious that another member agreed with you and he joined today and I suspected that to be you, its got nothing to do with anything about someone agreeing with your post.

If someone joined today then he/she felt compelled to respond to the issue of DRM and FM09 something that they are entitled too.

You should keep your paranoia to yourself, and not force it upon other people, although by agreeing to DRM you like things being forced upon you, quite clearly.

The fact that someone agrees with me, infact quite a few people have, proves that your argument of "it only takes a few minutes", "ill never use five installs", "ive never had to format", "its not a problem for me" - Just doesnt cut it.

Explain it to me again then, because i fail to see how anybody here can tell me that im wrong?

You are in the wrong because you have been presumptious enough to assume that we care.

You've gotten your shorts all shattied up over something that in reality will not be seen as anything other than part of the install, and the very people who instigated all the protest against Spore were the people who will have cracked it anyway.

Nowhere is the cry more full than in the houses of those trying to breach the very security about which you complain.

Online activation annoys the pirates, it's not as easy as hacking an exe and they've done a damn good job of panicking people into thinking it's bad on merit, when in reality it is not.

Yeah so Spore and Bioshock has issues with activation, but those issues were despite all the anit-DRM fuss made MONTHS before launch and they both sold incredibly well which somewhat negates your point.

Clearly they do, and you have lots of them, judging by your own standards of course.

Your the one wearing aftershave that only attracts your sister.

---

Ross21 agreed with me Navie - Report him for masquerading as me will you :) - your doing a great things for the forums Navie - making yourself look like an ass!

To begin with your posts were good even though I might not have agreed but now it is different.

To be fair that bottom part of your post above applies to you. If he made a mistake fair enough, but you are the one that is acting immature.

To begin with your posts were good even though I might not have agreed but now it is different.

To be fair that bottom part of your post above applies to you. If he made a mistake fair enough, but you are the one that is acting immature.

Well said, couldn't agree more

Archived