Tutor having no suitable tutees

Just starting up with FM18, and having brought in an aging player (for testing purposes) with good personality, I wanted him to tutor some youngsters.

But for some reason, he has no suitable candidates to tutor at all. Despite my U23 and U18 squads being full of useless youngsters.

If I remember right from earlier editions, whether a player can tutor, depends on the following:

- Age (over 23 or 24)

- Reputation being higher than youngster's.

- CA (or PA?) being higher than youngster's.

- Squad status being higher or equal to youngster.

- Play same position as youngsters.

As can be seen here in my screenshot, Chambers have 2,5* in CA/PA, is 36 years old and has 2 * reputation, and Backup squad status. He covers quite a few positions, so should have a wide range of subjects to tutor. But yet he does not.

Tutor1.thumb.PNG.350f8ea1b02bef00b172acb11cfca38b.PNG

TutorScreen.thumb.PNG.9a7fa2e80e4607d0a154b4af0cec1382.PNG

Example: Lewis Dryden - D(R): Youngster, 1,5 blue * in CA, and 0,5* PA. He is natural as D(R), yet he can't be tutored by Chambers, and I can't seem to get why that is.

Anyone has any insights into this?

CA and PA have nothing to do with it.  This is the complete list of requirements:

- Tutor must be at least 24 years old (unless he’s the club captain, in which case he can be under 24).
- Tutee must be younger than 24 and younger than the Tutor.
- Each player can only tutor, or be tutored by, one player at a time.
- Neither Tutor nor Tutee can be badly injured when tutoring commences.
- Tutor or Tutee cannot be training a Player Trait.
- Tutees cannot be an established member of the first team squad (played 75 or more senior matches).
- Tutor and tutee must share similar positions. Similar means the same or in some situations adjacent.
- Tutor must have a higher World Reputation than the Tutee.
- Once Tutoring has finished, either running its natural course or through being cancelled, there is a "cooling-off period" in which the tutor cannot undertake any further tutoring. This lasts up to 7 months.
- Tutor must be of at least "Backup" squad status.
- Tutee must be of "Rotation" or below and have a lower status than the Tutor.
- They must both have more than 6 months left on their contracts.

19 hours ago, herne79 said:

CA and PA have nothing to do with it.  This is the complete list of requirements:

- Tutor must be at least 24 years old (unless he’s the club captain, in which case he can be under 24).
- Tutees cannot be an established member of the first team squad (played 75 or more senior matches).
- Tutor and tutee must share similar positions. Similar means the same or in some situations adjacent.
- Once Tutoring has finished, either running its natural course or through being cancelled, there is a "cooling-off period" in which the tutor cannot undertake any further tutoring. This lasts up to 7 months.

Hi Herne,

That is a really useful list but I was wondering if you could clarify something for me.  Does the established member of the first team squad kick in from starts only or are substitute appearances counted?  Is it worked out in total minutes i.e. the equivalent of 75*90 or just appearances?  For example, if I had a player who I would bring on for the last 20 minutes of matches to get him some match experience and say I did this 20 times in season along with 5 starts, does this count as 25 appearances towards the total or does it count as 850 minutes out of the 6,750 total (the equivalent of 75 sets of 90 minutes).  Logically it should be the latter but which is it?

18 minutes ago, WhyMe said:

Hi Herne,

That is a really useful list but I was wondering if you could clarify something for me.  Does the established member of the first team squad kick in from starts only or are substitute appearances counted?  Is it worked out in total minutes i.e. the equivalent of 75*90 or just appearances?  For example, if I had a player who I would bring on for the last 20 minutes of matches to get him some match experience and say I did this 20 times in season along with 5 starts, does this count as 25 appearances towards the total or does it count as 850 minutes out of the 6,750 total (the equivalent of 75 sets of 90 minutes).  Logically it should be the latter but which is it?

It's number of appearances, not a cumulative minutes played calculation.

How long a player has to be on the pitch to get counted as an appearance is another matter - @Seb Wassell, happy New Year, when you get a mo could you please clarify this point?

In the mean time, you could always try it in a match - bring on a sub for the last 1/2/10/15/whatever minutes and see if it gets counted as an "appearance" :thup:.

• SI Staff
9 minutes ago, herne79 said:

It's number of appearances, not a cumulative minutes played calculation.

How long a player has to be on the pitch to get counted as an appearance is another matter - @Seb Wassell, happy New Year, when you get a mo could you please clarify this point?

In the mean time, you could always try it in a match - bring on a sub for the last 1/2/10/15/whatever minutes and see if it gets counted as an "appearance" :thup:.

From memory a player has to play more than 10 minutes for it to count as an appearance, rating etc.

On 08/01/2018 at 13:49, Seb Wassell said:

From memory a player has to play more than 10 minutes for it to count as an appearance, rating etc.

For rating, it appears to be more than 20 minutes in the match - people brought on after 70 minutes don't get a rating at the end of the match.

14 minutes ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

For rating, it appears to be more than 20 minutes in the match - people brought on after 70 minutes don't get a rating at the end of the match.

Here's a quote today from someone at SI who knows a thing or two about the match engine:

If you have specific examples of where this is not happening please open a thread in the Bugs forum and upload a copy of your game along with match pkms for SI to investigate.

42 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Here's a quote today from someone at SI who knows a thing or two about the match engine:

If you have specific examples of where this is not happening please open a thread in the Bugs forum and upload a copy of your game along with match pkms for SI to investigate.

Would this example I've just had work?

zPQUtt0.png

As you can see, the player was brought on on the 73rd minute, more than 15 minutes, and got no rating. Meanwhile, the following player was brought on in the 68th minute, just before the 20 minute mark, and does have a rating.

w3tP9S4.png

Where should I send/upload the match PKM? In FM16 and FM17, it was indeed 15 minutes that allowed the player to get a rating, but since launch, FM18 has been at 20 minutes.

14 minutes ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

Would this example I've just had work?

zPQUtt0.png

As you can see, the player was brought on on the 73rd minute, more than 15 minutes, and got no rating. Meanwhile, the following player was brought on in the 68th minute, just before the 20 minute mark, and does have a rating.

w3tP9S4.png

Where should I send/upload the match PKM? In FM16 and FM17, it was indeed 15 minutes that allowed the player to get a rating, but since launch, FM18 has been at 20 minutes.

@Nic Madden  As above, seems to be 20 minutes rather than the previous 15 mins to get a match rating?  Do you need this raised in the ME Issues forum?

• 6 months later...
On 07/01/2018 at 18:08, herne79 said:

Once Tutoring has finished, either running its natural course or through being cancelled, there is a "cooling-off period" in which the tutor cannot undertake any further tutoring. This lasts up to 7 months.

Sorry for reviving this, but others will probably come across this list after me, so could you clarify that it is definitely only the Tutor that's affected, and not both Tutor & Tutee as stated in the game's Hints & Tips? "Once a tutoring assignment has finished, both players enter a cooling off period where they cannot be involved in further tutoring."

"lasts up to 7 months" implies that the cooling off period could be one day - any clarification on this?

Also, the positional requirement (7th on list) is different to the in-game Hints & Tips which states that, "A Tutor must share at least one Accomplished playing position with the proposed player being tutored." which is it? And if what you have stated is correct, what level equals similar, and what does "or in some situations adjacent" mean? What situations, and adjacent in which direction(s)?

19 minutes ago, pigfacemonkeyman said:

"lasts up to 7 months" implies that the cooling off period could be one day - any clarification on this?

It should likely be a longer period of time than shorter, but no clarification.  However there seems to be a bug with this at present.  Tutors appear able to start tutoring again straight away with no cooling off period, although they can't tutor the same player again straight away.

20 minutes ago, pigfacemonkeyman said:

Also, the positional requirement (7th on list) is different to the in-game Hints & Tips which states that, "A Tutor must share at least one Accomplished playing position with the proposed player being tutored." which is it? And if what you have stated is correct, what level equals similar, and what does "or in some situations adjacent" mean? What situations, and adjacent in which direction(s)?

It's probably just poor wording - adjacent meaning next to.  Exactly in which directions you'll need to try it out.  This post will give you an example:

Archived