FM2009 - Official Arsenal F.C. Thread - The Home of Pure Football

DiscoStu94

Sorry mate but I'm not looking for youngsters just yet. For a day or two, I just want to concentrate on tactics and see how best to play the team. Once I'm resonably happy with that, I'll probably start again and look for youngsters.

Ah, right then. :thup:

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fataldinho

Yeah I know I would have liked the passing atleast to be a bit better. Dont particularly care about the creativity. But I wanted to get him as I wasnt looking for too many players to sign and he can cover CB and DM for me.

If you want better than him for around the same price, Angelo Palombo and Miguel Veloso would be the way to go. Both look amazing but only problem is that they're not as good as Radoi in the air. :thup:

I'm playing as Arsenal, playing a 4-4-2 with tweaked tactics and i just don't seem to be scoring many, my first 2 pre-seasons friendlies have been 2-0 and 3-0 wins.. i should destroy them by at least double that, i just don't understand it. My current pre-season team is

Alumina

Sagna

Gallas

Toure

Clichy

Cazorla

Denilson

Palombo

Nasri

RVP

Adebayor

I should be destroying these teams, its so weird why i'm not, in the old FM games it would be close to double figures a game!

fataldinho

If that's the way you're looking to play, then I honestly think Radoi would be a better option. Sure, Palombo is much better at stuff like passing, creativity, first touch and he's even slightly better with his stamina and strength.

But when it comes to stuff like marking, aerial dominance, anticipation, decisions, off the ball, positioning etc Radoi wins easily.

Having said that, you really couldnt go wrong with Palombo either.

matthewgoodfield

Yep, unfortunately you cant have arrows cutting inside on this version for some stupid reason. But anyway, just put your 2 wide players at AMR and AML and put their crossing to rarely and through balls to often and you should find them cutting inside a lot more.

Dazzler1992

Stick with it and something will come good. Start with the preset formation and settings first and watch 2-3 games fully. You'll then be in a position to see where you need to tweak.

AdZ9

New game, new engine. You cant expect the same old stuff as before to work. It'll take a little time but I'm sure you'll eventually find a tactic where the team will score lots. Also, I think they might need some time to gel. Like I said above, just watch 2-3 full games and you'll be able to tell better.

My Tactic:

Sagna    Toure   Gallas            Clichy
   |                                 |
             ^          ^       
              |           |
         Denilson     Ramsey
                   ^ 
                   |
Walcott           Nasri       Vela  
    |                          |

Ade/Chrisantus

Would contain the likes of Fabregas and RVP but injuries mean i play this squad.

Results using this tactic:

Abbingdon Town 0 - 5 Arsenal

Barnet 0 - 4 Arsenal

Borehamwood 0 - 4 Arsenal.

Good solid tactic if you ask me with my fullbacks bombing down the wing :cool:

None as far as i know, just Team instructions.

All out attack or just below.

Short passes

Quick Tempo

No time wasting.

Just keep tweaking and you'll get there. Also i play on 2D because i think the 3D is rubbish and my results have been different when on 2D and 3D

DiscoStu94 & arsenal_2111

Dont know if these guys are on your list yet but the following got good reviews from my scouts:

Nenad Krsticic - MLC (Sampdoria) --> lot better than Rosicky potentially

Lukman Haruna - DMC (AS Monaco) --> better than Radoi potentially

Thimothee Kolodziecziak - LB (Lyon) --> as good as Clichy potentially

Also, it's probebly cheating but you can just offer 0 plus after 20 games 20m and the club will usually accept. Seeing as it's only half a season game, we won't get that far so it is essentially free players. I'm not using it but might be handy for those who aren't going to carry it on in the full game.

I've restructured the budget as well... But I only got £74m when I did it..:/

strange i defo got 82.5mil duno why surely we should get the same i ask for more wages and funds and got denied on both

Hmmm.. what are people's first impressions of the game?? Personally, I'm not liking it so far. It just seems that SI has tried to cram everything they could think of into the game and its just less responsive and doesnt look as neat anymore. I dont know, it might grow on me with time.

Also, why in God's name cant I have an arrow with which my players will cut inside??? Ridiculous that is! The players also seem to respond less to their instructions. Both my full back are not over-lapping properly. The only way they do it is if I give them quite high mentality and tell them to get forward often. With mixed, they never seem to cross the half-way line. Infact, even if they have the ball in clear space, they just stay still for some reason until someone comes close to them!

they just stay still for some reason until someone comes close to them!-i find that really weird with alot of players.

i find clichy, sanga and eboue attack brilliantly for me both scored goals in my friendlies but in my two league games clichy cost me twice teams just get in behind all the time but i do have them set to almost full attacking with everything set to often.

however i'm not a fan of the limiters on the arrows but i can understand why SI did it as some formations where going crazy with arrows but i do like the 3D game engine just wish it worked on my own pc, i think i still have that little boy new toy syndrome tho.

in my own game i decided to stop as the injuries are stupid and so annoying. 2nd league game of the season my starting 11 agaisnt spurs was

GK Frey

DL Clichy

DR sanga

DC Gallas

DC Toure

ML Guardado

MR Walcott started the game at 83%

MC denilson

MC djourou

FC bendter

FC vela

and had a subs bench of kids every other player was either injuryed or at the Olympics.

players i bought where

palombo-14mil

guardado-19mil

frey-20mil

marcelo-4.4mil

santana-9mil

went on a bit of a spending spree but i reckon the squad i have/had fit doesnt need any adidtions and could probably last for years with just replacement of the old e.g. a new cb for gallas and so on.

results

friendly 1 7-0

friendly 2 5-0

friendly 3 4-0

rapid vien 2-0 CL(H)

sunderland 0-1(A)

spurs 2-1(A)

squad

GK frey/almumina

DL clichy/marcelo/traore

DR sanga/eboue

DC toure/djourou

DC gallas/silvestre/senderous

MR walcott/santana

ML guardado/marcelo/nasri

MC cesc/nasri/denilson

MC palombo/denilson/song/diaby

FC adeybuyor/bendter

FC RVP/ vela

that squad would last a long time before i think i would need to update it not perfect but you could win everything with that squad. one thing about my tactics when i use the 'ass mans' (pat rice's) in game assessment he allways says that the gap between midfield and defence is to big and teams will look to exploit this which they do. i have no idea how to fix this ive tried barrows dmc with aarows dmc amc diamond changing the d-line changing player mentalities and i can't seem to fix it suppose ill have to play the game to get used to it.

massive apologies about the horrid spelling

I have same injury probs, i only have a weak first team and 4 subs to pick from.... have 3 on international and 4 injured, now a 5th as Palombo is now injured in first prem game as we speak.

Game is a joke right now, thsi is why i don't buy it till jan/feb when all bugs are fixed!

Finished the demo just now. Man utd is still unbeaten with 16W 2D while I'm with 13W 5D 1L, that's 6 points and a match separating us. The following team is Newcastle with 38 points in 19 matches. Liverpool and Chelsea are on 4th and 6th respectively.

Played Chelsea home and Man utd away, which both finished 0-0. I have to say the results were disappointing as my team had more shooting chance and even more shots on target in both games.

I tried a different tactical approach by switching to a 4-4-2 with a DM and 3 MC's, instead of DM/ML/MC/MR.

screenshot267qm5.jpg

screenshot266jr8.jpg

Mentality framework used is 7-15. FWR, RWB and TTB are assigned according to individual attributes, RWB often for Cazorla and TTB often for Cesc, for example. Set pieces are not finished yet as I couldn't spot any advantage we may make use of.

It seems that the team is making better chance and having fewer long shots.Though, They are not having as much possession as before. The team is given a bit width to compensate the absence of wingers, and it works pretty well with fullbacks overlapping. It does help create some space in the centre of opponent's midfield for our strikers but crosses aren't really working. Anyways, I'm satisfied with our attack through the middle and I probably won't deal with the cross in the near future. I'd rather reconsider who to sign because MC obviously isn't the best position for Nasri and Cazorla. Maybe the likes of Riquelme and Matias Fernandez would help.

I don't think I have found the optimal setting for DM. His defensive duty is alright but I want him to be more involved in attack. Maybe I should tweak his FWR and mentality a bit. Midfielders do a good job linking up play to the strikers. However, they seldom close down opponent's winger when we're defending. I have to find out if there is any solution other than assigning opponent instruction.

Closing down instructions are given according to mentality. It doesn't trouble me much and the defence is pretty solid. Just make sure that your assistant doesn't suggest that there is space between your defence and midfield. Or it indicates that the mentalities given to the back 4 and midfield are possibly split too far apart.

The DC's might pick up fairly amount of yellow cards, but I doubt it has anything to do with my tactics (normal tackling is used).

Hmm that's all for now. Examination is going to start tomorrow unfortunately and I won't be able to post as much in the following weeks. Hopefully, I'd join you guys again when the full version is out. :)

im finding it so difficult to score, i've got a great strike force but the only goals i seem to be able to get are from set pieces or rebounds, time after time after time my strikers break through one on one and hit the keeper. it's like 8.01 all over again.

DiscoStu94 and arsenal_2111

Great work on compiling the lists. Will be real helpfu when the full game comes out.

Everyone here is concentrating on buying players. I on the other hand am selling players especially those of the reserve squad to see how much money they can bring. :D Also trying different tactics atm.

I like the 3d match engine very much. Absence of curved arrows is a real problem though. Promoted the players at ML and MR to AML and AMR now to make more of an impact. Radoi is good as many people would have noticed. Bruno Alves can also be considered.

As for the GK, my scouts rate Frey same as Almunia. Biggest surprise is that they rate Remy Riou and Steve Mandanda better than Igor Akinfeev and potential good signings. Will look to buy one of them as I have sold Fabianski. Also thinking of buying Rossi as Eduardo will remain injured until I finish demo. Bolzoni is a good prospect.

im finding it so difficult to score, i've got a great strike force but the only goals i seem to be able to get are from set pieces or rebounds, time after time after time my strikers break through one on one and hit the keeper. it's like 8.01 all over again.

Eh, I have a similar case but I'm having trouble winning with any other scoreline than 1-0. First 4 game I've won 1-0. Just drew 1-1 to Boro now away in a game that saw Bendtner hit the bar twice.

Make sure Bendtner and Adebayor learn the skill "round the keeper". Very vital IMO for 2 people who can't play under pressure.

Can some people post players that scouts say are "great assets" to the team? Not good players to sign, no, none of those please, just great assets. Only the best.

I'll start the list

Jotevic from Juventus - Rowley (19 in CA and PA) says he would be a great asset to the team.

Guest TomasAlex

I've bought Ignacio Camacho for £7.3m, Wijnaldum for £2m and Paloschi for £1.6 million (£800k to both parties). I think I've done well to patch up the central midfield area of the pitch while retaining an emphasis on youth development.

Camacho (18) I hope will develop into a Flamini-esque player, the defensive counterpart to Fabregas, while Wijnaldum (17) I hope will develop into a future Cesc, and is currently being tutored by him. Paloschi (18) though I think is the real find and steal, a striker with superb mental and physical stats for someone so young, and his technical stats are not bad either, or at least they will improve - I highly recommend anyone to have a look.

I agree that the key signings are a defensive mid and a winger. I went with Veloso in midfield. At 12 mil, you can't really go wrong. He has the defensive strengths to do a great job, can attack too, and his only real weak point is a distinct lack of flair. So sure, he won't juggle the ball. Who cares? Dribbling 15, first touch 18 and 16 concentration / decisions matched with 17 strength means his love of playing his way out of trouble isn't a real issue, very few players will force him off that ball anyway. At 22 years old, I can't see a down side.

For the wing, i dropped 13 and a half million on Balotelli, who will be my second buy (after veloso) in the full release too. He looks like a world beater already at 18 and can only improve. Rice thinks he'll be far better than poor Ade.

I grabbed a cheap Marcelo to add backup to both leftback and left wing, and to offer a good "double fullbacks" option for second legs where i'm narrowly winning. with him and Eboue in front of Clichy and Sagna we can easily shut up shop while still keeping some options open there. I also brought Emerson in on a 1 year loan to bolster the squad. Beyond that, I brought in Eduardo (Neto), more out of loyalty from FM08. Still a solid utility player it looks like. I'm sure he'll once again develop into an all rounder superstar.

For the real game, grabbing a top quality young keeper will be a priority too.

Archived