FM 2009: Official Newcastle United F.C. Thread

Guest Sean10

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All those saying that Owen is rubbish, I'm playing 442, Martins bascially all out attack and Owen averg attack, mixed frwrd runs and hold up ball, he's also my target man and I'm playing to feet.

He's scored 9 goals in his first 8 (league) games, I think if you use him in the right way he looks pretty lethal.

That said he won't sign a new contract for me yet so I'm going to wait until DEcember and see if I can get some money for him before he talk to clubs for free

RE: My above post.

My new chairman did upgrade the training facilities, youth facilities and gave a improved youth academy. He also expanded the stadium to 60000.

However due to this his could only give me £5mil for my 2nd season transfer budget.

t2xz0.th.jpgthpix.gif

Jack Wiltshere was supposed to be one for the future after my scout cited his as a definite signing. However due to injuries he has played 38 games, with 16 starts so far this season. His stats have improved 10 fold and will soon be a first team regular.

Kacar is immense. I have never heard of him before one of my roaming scouts brought him to my attention. 9.75 million was well negotiated. They wanted 11. In 41 games he had played so far his average rating has been 7.75. He mainly played as a CM but has covered in defence a few times.

N'Zogbia really is brilliant in this version of the game. In 35 league games (2 left to play) in my second season he has a average rating of 7.98 with 11 goals, 15 assists and 7 man of the match awards

Well it's January 25th now and I've slipped to 6th which I guessed would happen. I've just decided to offer Owen round as he won't sign a new contract and have managed to get a whopping £30m out of Man City even though he's only got 6 months of his contract to run. I also reluctantly sold Habib Beye to the mackems, but £7.5m was too much to turn down for a 31 year old.

Got less than a week to spend the proceeds. Should be able to bring 5 or 6 top class players in, if I can persuade them to come!

2nd season finished- 7th position. In the new form uefa cup next season.

N'Zogbia made it into the premiership team of the year.

Obafemi Martins finished my top scorer with 18 goals- quite poor considering.

Highest rated player of the season was again N'Zogbia with a rating of 7.92

Arsenal won the league.

Sunderland, Swansea and Birmingham were all relegated.

Is it just me or is managing Newcastle so more enjoyable in this version of the game. It might be the challenge but i am just loving it!

Oh My God...

Ok, it's late at night, probably in here all by myself... but thanks to this smartass guy (above) saying how he offer owen around (btw, no offence cause it works)... i've now sold martins for £24 mill and Owen for £30 mill... imageshack is not working so I can't upload pics... but all I can say I AM STRUGGLING FINDING DECENT REPLACEMENTS!! :(:(:(

dang! I sold Owen for 14mill I thought that was a good price for a 28 year old average injury prone player, getting cardozo in for 6 mill to replace him but gee 30mill would've been mighty handy, if I can get Martins out for 24mill+ i probably would do it also he scores some great goals but i am sure you can get a few players to help the team overall with that amount!-

maze - have a look at Edison Cavani. I was about to get him for 10m in the summer window but that depended on Tottenham paying 20m for Owen and they canceled the deal right on the deadline.

As for selling Owen and Martins, I guess the new rule with 09 is sell high and hope, kind of feels a bit cheap though. Neither Owen or Martins are worth that kind of money in-game or irl and I'd far rather not base my FM career round what feels, quite frankly, like quite a serious data issue/bug.

Not sure, never went for him in FM 08 - didn't hear about him until that - and all I've seen from him in 09 is Man City buying him for around 15m only to leave him playing reserve games. The AI transfer wise is a bit off at the moment however, it's hard not to notice the big clubs paying too much for either players they don't need or who aren't worth what they pay.

After a pretty good first season with the Toon, the second was a disaster! Didn't register a single win in the first 9 league games (although knocked out Southampton and Chelsea in the League Cup) and I completely lost the dressing room. I promptly resigned after a 1-1 away draw to Man Utd (my only real respectable result for the season) and sulked for a couple of hours before composing myself and starting a new game from scratch...

My first three league fixtures of the new game were Arsenal (a), Chelsea (a) and Liverpool (h)!! Beat Arsenal 1-2, drew 1-1 with Chelsea and strolled past Liverpool 2-0. I've followed that up with wins (and clean-sheets) against Portsmouth, Sunderland and Boro. Fantastic start to the season!

I want to add that if anyone needs a full-back, left or right, then I can't recommend Miguel Torres (Real Madrid) highly enough! He's brilliantly consistent and won't cost you any more than £2m.

Argh, wish I'd read about Torres before the window closed.

I had the same problem as you - strong first season, absolutely woeful second. Sadly, it wasn't my choice to leave the club. If the board had been a tad more patient with me I was on the brink of an absolutely amazing future for the club. It was a classic mistake that doomed me, however. I bought far too many high potential youngsters and not enough 'current ability' players to carry the side.

I was looking for a new left back in my new game's opening window, having sold Enrique for 6.5m. In particular someone who would be a fair shade cheaper than Enrique was for his buyers. Torres would have been perfect *sigh* In the end I loaned in Insua from Liverpool hoping to foster some kind of affection for the club in him and thus go on to purchase him at a later date.

As a side note : one positive from my first attempt was the discovery of Sergio Asenjo. He's a 19 year old GK playing for Vallodolid. Managed to get him for 7.5m and by the end of my first season was already better than Shay Given.

(I like to go for young promising keepers as a rule because I find great keepers very hard to replace in the long run)

Well I'm now in the early stages of my third attempt at managing my beloved Magpies (resigned in first game after disasterous start to second season, quit second game because I wasnt happy with tactics).

I decided to start a game and put my whole-heart into it this time. I knew the direction I wanted to head in and have gone all out the do it. Imagine then my dismay when I saw my opening league fixtures:

Chelsea (h), Liverpool (a), Arsenal (h) and Man Utd (a).

Now the primary reason for me beginning a new game was because I had a new idea for a tactic that I wanted to play from the start as opposed to trying to alter an already settled formation. My new tactic is very basic with minimal alterations but creative freedom for the attacking 5. Anyway, I beat Chelsea 1-0, lost to Liverpool 2-0, beat Arsenal 2-0 and, most impressively.... well, check this out:

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q171/dirtyprettymagpie/IncredibleperformanceattheTheaterof.jpg

Up the Toon!!

I had a Canadian businessman looking to take over and offering similar, bit less i think but it fell through in November. Just got to January and am doing well. 6th in the table, no chance of getting top 4 already 15 points behind fourth placed man city but level points with fifth placed liverpool. Sold owen two days before transfer deadline without a choice, board accepted a bid of 20mil from City, only gave me 10 of that to spend. Managed to bring in Luigi Bruins and Andre-Piere Gignac before window closed so was happy.

Hey guys!

Every CM/FM series I get, I start the first season with NUFC. But this year I did it differently.

I started FM09 with Lewes FC in the Blue Square... I love doing the LLM stuff, but a normally do this after xmas, when I've done all I can with Newcastle.

The goal, when doing LLM, is to always end up managing Newcastle, last season I did Crawley (2 seasons got them in League 1), left for Watford, and then got them back in Prem, then got offered Newcastle job.

So anyway...after reading this thread, I realise I have missed managing Newcastle from the start. Now with potential added spice of a challenge and takeovers...

So as of tonight, I will be RESTARTING FM2009 and managing Newcastle - hey, I may even take on board some of the tips on here...

Cheers guys!

Im newcastle played 30 games and clear at the top by 4 points!

Top Goal Scorer Jimmy Briand 14 goals (bought in January) top signing 3million

Got taken over by Chris Keegan (im serious about the name) generated 40million beginning of the Season bought Diarra, Zapter, Ustari & Eduardo

Sold: Barton, Smith, Beye & Martins

I play a 4-5-1 or 4-2-2-2

wow dukey your doing well congrats, i am 2nd, early February havent lost a game in the league yet, i draw too many games though, 14 wins 8 draws...I will be happy with a top 6 finish :p to be honest I don't wanna win it right away as need to build and build which will be good, i want to eventually use these youngsters I have purchased. Lucky man you get heaps of money, I had to sell heaps to get my players.

VDV for 6.5, Vukcevic was bout 9, got Enoh for a lot since he didn't wanna leave and his price rised and rised. Cardozo is crap with those stats I expected different but got nothing from him yet, Donovan is getting the nod ahead of him as he seems to hit about a goal every game or two which is a good rate. Anyone know any good strikers? Need someone to partner Martins up front, but question with Cardozo...should I have him not doing as much forward runs and try him holding up the ball and long shots? Because he has good technical abilities, reasonably strong but not super quick. I am not much of a tactician to be honest but I am 2nd with Newcastle, so hope is not all lost :p

takeovercompletepj2.th.jpgthpix.gif

Takeover Complete :thup:

Pffft, i had a similar offer from a Malaysian, said he would give me £148m for transfers, only for Mike Ashley to bump his asking price up and scared him off! Instead I ended up with some consortium, gave me £8m for transfers and upgraded training and youth facilities.

The new board have given me £76m to spend, improved the training and youth facs, bumping the stadium up to 60,000 at the end of the season, cut the loan from £110m to £55m so only back back half of what it was before each month and last but not least they give me 100% of transfer rev.

I hate you :D

I'm finding this so, so tough. The players keep making stupid mistakes and conceeding wondergoals. And my tactics just seem to be ignored at will.

What tactics have people tended to use? And what about away from home? I'm woeful away from home. Hammered every week.

Here's the essential info;

INS;

Fabian Delph, Leeds £1m

John Fleck, Rangers, £2m

Emerson, Milan, Loan (750k)

Future Ins;

Hedwidges Maduro, Valencia, £1.2m

Remy Bastiani, Sedan, £1.1m

Outs;

Shola Ameobi, West Brom, £1.5m

Future Outs;

Habib Beye, PSG, £5m

I've also had the board takeover - Ashley giving way to another board members who has 'no initial plans for investment'. Rubbish.

I'd also be interested in knowing what tactics those of you who are doing well with newcastle are using. I know its a post best belonged to the Tactics board but most in there are geared towards top clubs and have failed with Newcastle, have just tried building my own and beginning to test, but not counting on it as although I think they look fine they usually fail too.

I'm finding this so, so tough. The players keep making stupid mistakes and conceeding wondergoals. And my tactics just seem to be ignored at will.

What tactics have people tended to use? And what about away from home? I'm woeful away from home. Hammered every week.

Here's the essential info;

INS;

Fabian Delph, Leeds £1m

John Fleck, Rangers, £2m

Emerson, Milan, Loan (750k)

Future Ins;

Hedwidges Maduro, Valencia, £1.2m

Remy Bastiani, Sedan, £1.1m

Outs;

Shola Ameobi, West Brom, £1.5m

Future Outs;

Habib Beye, PSG, £5m

I've also had the board takeover - Ashley giving way to another board members who has 'no initial plans for investment'. Rubbish.

Newcastle is one of the hardest teams to manage because when you take over, players are still new and have not gelled (already). Put the change in management in aswell and it takes even longer. Plus your transfers. Advice I was given was play defensive formations for the first 10-15 and grind out results/draws, and then start playing aggressively when players start learning English/settling in.

well a mister Chan Chun Hung (no joke) took over my newcastle around september in my first season, promising 168 million would be spent on new players!!

and so he pumped 120mill into the coffers, and upgraded the facilities.

my tactics arnt working so well so im just scrapping through into the jan transfer window just wondering who to buy, now ive got an all star cast of backroom staff and players are willing to join my black and white revolution.

do u think once you have been taken over by whoever (for me was Derek Llambias) that the club could be taken over again, because its just rubbish that ive been taken over by somebody with no money to give. I want to get a tycoon so i cna actually buy some good players!!

Archived