[FM18] Wick Face to Face with the Manager who Sold the Weans

Wavelberry

Pre-Season 2021

How do you top your best ever year? Well you don't. Dangerous second album incoming then but before we start to stink out the Highland League it's friendly time...

dbf20ddf2041537fe18831020e0eeafb.png

We won the games we were supposed to and lost the games you'd think but one clean sheet is a bit of a worry. We were 4-0 up against Thurso and threw away 3 goals in the last ten minutes so it looks like we still have the tendency to ship a lot of goals very quickly. Nice to see Sean Parker getting some goals and Hay has had a productive pre-season too. Goals coming from good areas. This might not be a dull season...

2e4679daa29cd39575c3e3315c2021f5.png

Holy crap we've got worse again. 800-1 and only Fort William, Lossiemouth and Keith considered worse than us. I'm putting the drop down due to Davie Allan leaving as he was rated our best player. Who'd have thunk he was good enough to get us predicted at a tenth of the odds last season? A season of struggle expected then.

f94a74324e8fc9b6a6f3c07b289da01f.png

Despite the doom-mongers in the press I agree with the board that we should be mid-table again. There's no reason we should be any worse than our worst season of 40 points two years ago and while I think we may struggle to emulate last season's tally I don't see us being too far below 50 points. Cups are as normal.

c29037ed0f305693af34c28b0cbf7e90.png

Davie Allan has gone so only Marc MacGregor sits at the top of the tree now. I'm definitely expecting some movement from McCulloch and Parker this season into the upper echelons and maybe Dave Hay too.

05826a369cdfb29a38fc9de1c1501e70.png

This is how we line up then at the beginning of the season and not much to be surprised about. The only change that has been made is Kevin Manson (YP 1.6) being dropped from the first team. He played the first few friendlies in it and stunk the place out while Jimmy Fridge took his chances which gives him first dibs. Manson has some work to do to not just be a one season wonder.

974a1fa2d740b8602510dae57aec29a2.png

A fairly decent start at home and in the Cup but those away games will prove difficult. I expect 6 points and a cup win. Watch us red light the whole month. 

HERE WE GO AGAIN!!!

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

August 2021 Update

Well then...

2858597ed9dfdcaf9b5df49607043572.png

At least we're not boring. We conceded after 17 seconds against Inverurie and were then battered after equalising, Ballantyne's goal proving nothing more than a consolation. It all looked bleak against Fraserburgh as well and they played with 10 men for nearly 40 minutes but right at the end of the game McCulloch headed home to give us a point. Then came the Clark Park show as he smashed five past Lossiemouth, the deadly ball over the top doing Lossiemouth again and again (and again and again and again). That's our biggest win under me. We then had a ding dong battle against Rothes. We started well but then instantly gave away a pelanty as we do. We grew into the game and took a well deserved lead in the 50th but then Hardwick got himself sent off with twenty minutes left. It was Rothes' turn to score a last minute equaliser but Clark Park is not to be denied and he shot home with the last kick of the game. Forres gave us their customary battering although Clark did score again. What a month he has had.

3a6c53355ed9a4bca4881437c5a7ec24.png

Forres are top of the early table and Buckie have had a worse start than us. I'll take four points especially as Gorms got injured in the first game and has been out all month. A steady and certainly not dull start.

9b40b373b451d00b0345aabf92a46a9f.png

September is always the busiest month and we go back to Forres for another battering in the cup before a series of interesting games. We should look to win the Fort William and Keith games and obviously all eyes will be on the trip to Brora too. Gorms is back for the Fort William game though it would be nice if my defenders didn't **** themselves when he wasn't there.

September 2021 Update

Would that we could be dull. Just for one day...

5ea6d6e86c0f0265a95da2fb495002d0.png

We started with giving Forres an actual game only losing out to the odd goal in sveen in the 90th minute and it was good to see McIntyre get a brace. Fort William saw the return of Gorms and he helped to steer us to victory although obviously we conceded two because we're us. We did continue our weird tradition of having really cagey games against Brora and stole a 1-0 win with a brilliant lay-off that makes me think it's a goal of the season contender. Dave Hay got back to form this month and helped to hit a brace against Turriff and see us to a draw. We then get hammered by Formartine but Clark continued his Solskjaer tribute act by securing the draw against Keith. Our defence though... seriously... 

01b84d688db0b707352025ad65dcc0c6.png

Bad defences seem to be a ting if you look at Cove. If our defenders ever grow up we could be good.

7ddcae265258541ff16920b997df1de2.png

This is a key month for us with four away games. We need to start playing well away so am hoping for 7 points but expecting 3 because our defence is immense...

October 2021 Update

Home is where the heart is so this is the heartless month. Prepare for red...

1a67a827b398f03b1e3fd3cb14c31915.png

Well holy salmon we did alright and we even kept two clean sheets and we only lost out to Clachnacuddin the 93rd minute as well. Hay was on form again keeping us honest and I'm glad he's back on form although he did get an injury against Cove when we weren't at our best. Still given the teams and the away games this was a very, very decent month.

9f2bd5a3fae549d9e105541a0384be3e.png

Steay in 5th so far and the table is starting to even out with Buckie coming back. good enough start though.

7aa754830e0271bc2afcdf2631538ae0.png

This is a horrible month wit away trips to two top sides and Huntly liking to batter us. Gorms is out for a few weeks again and we're struggling without him. How did he become so talismanic? 

November 2021 Update

Late goals. Always with the late goals...

d046fd8464a7dab60dd2ec693c480953.png

Score a latey to win against Deveronvale and we were rubbish for 70 minutes. We were never in it against Formartine although it was 2-1 until the 89th minute. Huntly game was the game that bucked the trend as both goals came early in either half (although Gorms had a late goal chalked off) while Buckie scored a 93rd minute winner. I'll take four points though from this run of games but it could have so nearly been a beautiful five...

50cb13762ce0d0cb72d2c895e6a0af84.png

We sit well mid-table and given we were predicted 16th I think we're doing fine. The LB situation is getting out of hand and Macrae, despite being rated as one of the best players at the club is consistently awful. We may get some youth in at RB sooner rather than later. Still we're doing alright.

aef78a7b4f6a6c980c2e9e614718727d.png

A difficult looking December as it foes with tough away trips and a dangerous Fraserburgh at home. I want five points minimum.

December 2021 Update

I wanted five. How many did we get?

918bacce3b9a9cab8f3f5328b03967ab.png

Huzzah for six. Inverurie pumped us and we were rubbish but we did the business against Fraserburgh just days after they sacked their manager and interviewed me. Rothes are a different prospect this season and battered us although it was 2-1 in the 80th minute but we did do our own 80th+ minute win against Fort William with MacGregor nailing a vital pelanty. Manson scored too which is good because at the moment the reading of his ability is well beyond his performances.

5eedc8d1c059d6fe3c70a6d33e5b89cd.png

Steady in 8th. I reckon we'll be for 50 points. Title race is very exciting though.

11abf121dd021e48352da79879db67f6.png

Two big home games against a Forres team we can't beat and a Brora team who want to hammer us followed by trips to Turriff and Keith. Again I want 5 points.

January 2022 Update

I want five points...

8666e7e2aaefe9ce2b5ce4a161c45655.png

I got them but not without drama. Obviously. We got a point against Forres which was unexpected and then lost in the last minute to Brora despite them giving up two pelanties. We then did something we haven't done for a while and give Turriff a beating with lots of goals before snatching a point against Keith despite Mooney's sending off. It's a good month but it doesn't feel like one because we're never in control. Makes it interesting though.

6069fdad7e33f08cb77f7e9ad1a96879.png

Still tenth and still on for 50 points. Standard. The title race, however, is awesome right now. Am hoping Brora choke.

bc7ad9b5abec751e657d884e1485b656.png

A month of games against teams below us although Fraserburgh in the League Cup could be dangerous if they're getting back to winning ways. I want seven points and cup progression though.

February 2022 Update

Well, there were some games.

d41a4e95f177667d1185afc99802d7e6.png

We led in both home games and gave away stupid equalisers. Hilariously we didn't even have a shot on target against Nairn. I played a reserve side against Fraserburgh and gave a debut to a goalie and RB and we were pretty rubbish. After such an underwhelming month I held a team meeting and said we were ***** and they didn't take too kindly to it so I feared the worst against Lossiemouth especially when they got a 16th minute pelanty, however McCarthy saved it, Gorms took the game by the scruff of the neck and a half-time 'I believe in you' to Marc MacGregor saw him score a belter and we got away with a win. Nearly ****ed it up but we're back on track. Still, coulda been better.

c5797ffd1c2b4bf627e7dd813c15f683.png

Comfortably 8th and we only need 8 more points for a standard 50 point season. Should be doable in six games remaining... Of course that depends on who we've got. It's all a bit meh at the moment though with some players really struggling to follow up last year's goodness. 

015610461bf39798191bfc370c7adba5.png

The title race is alive and Cove are well in it and have given us a few batterings recently so not expecting  much there. We *should* be able to see of a woeful Clachnacuddin side and a trip to average Deveronvale means that four points should be banked. Should be. At least it's intake month though... Lord give me some quality.

2022 Youth Candidates

It's the time of year already? Comes around quicker every year etc. Let's see how it all is...

a1de87c99b9e9cff823a506c61319d08.png

The best player has crap determination which is a bit of a shame. I've got TWO right-backs though which is interesting and a possible left back. My eyes are on Mason and Charlesworth as well. Be nice to have some quality back-up for Gorms and Parker.

14cde7ea08502680361b1b4ba56dad37.png

Mason had a stinker which is lols but excellents games for Munro and Charlesworth which is good to see. Steven Buchan got himself sent off as well the idiot.

43ded651f106686685025c74c92b39e2.png

These are the ones that made the cut and I also had a clear out of mass signed rubbish ones from earlier intakes as well. We're getting picky up in here.

c51e3a5c766f081290b16bb8136250d1.png

Munro impressed and could be a RB/RWB we need.

0617bb7194a9aae228218b52bed3d0ce.png

Charlesworth got the goal but could do with getting quicker.

c6c5065a7be5d41e55c44ba6e5eb8a26.png

Here's Mason. He wasn't great but I like his passing, bravery and aggression. Could be a fine DM

bc8915ab11575d03cc3a02fd7c763bc2.png

And tbf Euan does look tasty with pace and touch. If I can get someone to tutor him we could have a wee star.

March 2022 Update

****ing. Meh.

c78aeb4b3235594790ba08e3b1b11c82.png

Just a bit rubbish really although the point against Cove was very welcome but we threw away all that good work against Clachnacuddin by conceding a sloppy second half equaliser. We weren't really in the next two games despite the odd goal losses. Just a bit meh really.

f3a3e9f942c612c3023934699d0df539.png

Well if we're going to hit the big 5-0 then we'll need to win our last two games. Title race is still very close between the top four and could go to any of them.

d662a6e4c326ca3c0022ba3b70857162.png

Great. No 50 for us then with Buckie and Huntly. Two sides we struggle against. To be honest I'm going to give some others a chance in these games because the mediocre performances of some are really boiling my ****.

April 2022 Update

Curtain comes down then on the fifth season of Wick.

79773b00a88bf618f7bbb44342a086a4.png

Well wouldn't you know it... The brilliance of the Buckie game is mentioned above and it was a tactical change in the 35th minute that did it as I went from the 4-1-3-2 to the 4-2-3-1 and bought on Manson and MacGregor. It was well worth the 35th minute subs as we stormed back to win it. The Huntly game was something else. I went with the 4-1-3-2 again because McIntyre really suits the False 9 role in it and he and Clark proved it to be a good call by putting us 2-0 up. I told them to beware and they didn't as they conceded two goals to bring it back to 2-2. I was about to go mad when Ewan Allan playing as a Trequartista scored a goal someone like Totti would be proud of laying of a pass, running towards the edge of the box and slapping the return pass first time into the net. It was pretty special and it gave is the win.

ceebbcfbb86bd2c5ff7728fa4d779277.png

So we end the season with 50 points. The third time in 5 years we have achieved that landmark. We finish 9th which, given we were predicted 16th, is pretty damned okay. Being midtable is hard work though. You always feel you're worse than you are. Decent effort though boys. Decent effort. 

Formartine beat Brora to the title by a point. LOL.

Wick Academy Season 2021/22 Review

Last year saw our best ever finish and TBH I thought we were lucky and perhaps operating at the peak of our powers so I was ready for a bit of a comedown this year.

d5d1caf78c2bc82dbf1397daec3e4ce0.png

We did alright. Back to the safety of 50 points for the first time since the Order 67 fiasco. It's taken a few years but normal service has been resumed. Given that we were predicted 16th that's not too shabby at all. Once again we used the most players in the league. As for the games that Rothes one was pretty poor although the draw against Clachnacuddin was at home was almost worse. There were far better results than the other Rothes game including the Buckie win and the Fraserburgh result just after I turned them down. 

b57303715f71865ff8497038afb37b66.png

Gorms is finally beaten in POTY by his DM chum Parker who also nailed the YPOTY as well. Gorms did come second though. As I mentioned in the September update Willie Nairn's winner against Brora was indeed voted Goal of the Year although Ewan Allan's was pretty special. Not sure Willie deserves his place in the Team of the Year though as he is far too inconsistent. Ballantyne was much better this season and would deserve the place ahead of him. Other than that I can't disagree.

591c161b7fe8a01130b8d4d0a6e28006.png

Sean was the highest rated player of the year so it's no surprise he was POTY. Our main issue came to a lack of a real goalscorer as Dave Hay proved to be slightly less prolific than he was last year. It's interesting that Clark actually tied him in the end having played far fewer games. The lack of stand out talent also shows in our MOTM awards with five players getting two each meanwhile our defence's discipline is probably one of the reasons we're so flighty at the back.

abcc63425eec8b1bb55d4e5891f32c7b.png

Gorms is a big mover and shaker and is now highly influential and so he should be given he's played consistently for five years. Dave Hay has poked his head up at maybe the wrong time especially if he doesn't start well next season. Am expecting Mark Sutherland to move up the hierachy by the end of next year and if Sean Parker continues to impress he probably will too.

b297598aa0e3b45cfa02b1dfd0222737.png

Board are all good. The GYAC policy has seen me go back to full confidence on philosophies and the fact that I never sign anyone means the finances are good. We are at the five year mark now though so some changes may be afoot in the Summer as I look to freshen up the backroom possibly and maybe move Hardwick on. We're steady away for now though.

It's only taken me FIVE YEARS!!!

09d8810624e5b3e4cdd0324251f2c783.png

Finally popped the Steam Achievement. I'd like to thank my mother, Pompeyboyz's dead cat and all my wonderful fans.

As an addendum to this I've just checked my manager profile for the first time in ages and apparently former Charlton striking sensation Jonaton Johansson hates me for some reason. He's Motherwell manager but I don't know why he doesn't like me.

Around Scotland 2021/22

Formartine were the Champions of the Highlands then doing a double with the league cup as Buckie had done last year. Who would the lose to in the play-off semi though?

2cb6f8bae95ba16554cb732873bbedcb.png

Stirling Uni were the surprise champions climbing from 12th the season before to take the title relatively comfortably ahead of Spartans and East Stirlingshire. East Stirlingshire's close but no cigar continues then but spare a thought for how rubbish Berwick have become. After missing out on an instant return by a point last season this year they sat 11th and went through at least two managers. A long way back for them as East Stirlingshire can attest. Last season's champions Edusport were never really in it and finished 5th. Stirling Uni vs Formartine then. Will the Lowland boyz make it 5/5 against the Highlands?

d8ea5e0f2548cae73a41e6938c237c54.png

Of bloody course they would. Stirling Uni's home clean sheet and a vital goat at Formartine enough to see them past the Highland double winners. Shame on us all again. For Stirling Uni though it was Edinburgh City. A second successive year bottom of League Two for them. Could they survive again?

5427fe38aebe69e8e57d53d52c642f0a.png

Nope. Last year they humped the Lowland League Champions away from home which meant a 1-1 draw at home wasn't fatal. Stirling Uni at home though are a different proposition and a 2-1 defeat there meant an underwhelming home draw sent Edinburgh back to the Lowland Leagues for the second time in five years. They'll need to hope they avoid Berwick's fate next season. For Stirling Uni though it is League football next season.

e5a791b8090020dc43c372df973e26bf.png

Edinburgh only finished bottom by two points and it was a home defeat in the penultimate game to Albion Rovers that gave The Wee Rovers hope as they moved level on points withEdinburgh and a last day win coupled with a draw for the Capital City side meant they went into the play-offs and never returned. At the other end of the table Arbroath won the league fairly easily to make up for last season's near miss and play-off failure and it was for Clyde instead, comfortable in second, to suffer the indignity of a play-off loss with Queens Park claiming promotion from third and returning to League One after three seasons in the league's basement. East Kilbride and Annan were unable to compete upon their return from League One after relegation last year and will be looking to improve ahead. 

1b1b2722a436d51dcbc0ca9cc1969890.png

Airdrie, to many's surprise, drop into League Two without much of a fight and are joined by Elgin who finished in quite a creditable 9th place considering they were promoted from 4th place last season. It wasn't enough though as Peterhead, who went up as comfortable champions, managed to scrape two more points than them. They'll want to see better next year or their survival might just have been a stay of execution. Morton had been relegated rock bottom of the Championship but found League One much more to their liking as they stormed back to the second tier as champions. Alloa finished 3rd after relegation but weren't able to see it through in the play-offs and instead Livingston, who had finished 2nd in the last few seasons and missed out on going up, finished 4th and got promotion. As you do.

51ebd8977f063074d5419a0414313452.png

Livingston and Morton may have a big old gap to bridge coming up to the Championship as the two teams that got promoted from League One last season went straight back down with barely a fight finishing 17 and 16 points adrift of the rest. St Mirren bounced back to the top-flight the first time of asking winning the league by 8 points. Falkirk have been threatening the Premiership for a while and battled hard in the play-offs but ultimately fell short despite a comfortable second while only 5 points separated the rest. Too easy for Premiership sides and too tough for the League One sides is how the Championship feels at the moment.

331f3678b07c8b0bef5f4e50e4865553.png

Ross County will be buzzing with their great escape gaining 8 points from their final five games while Hamilton didn't win a single one. That collapse was enough to see the South Lanarkshire side drop into the Championship on goal difference while The Staggies kept their cool to thwart Falkirk in the play-off final and stay in the league for another year. Also staying in the league are last season's Championship Champions Partick finishing 10th and 2 points ahead of their relegation rivals despite only scoring 27 goals all season. Averaging only 0.71 goals a game and staying up has to be some sort of record. Halcyon days at Firhill. The rest of the bottom half are the same teams as last season meaning the top six is becoming a bit of a closed shop.

In the top half of the table Hibs continue to be consistently 5th while Dundee drop to 6th. Trouble in Govan as Rangers had a bit of a stinker of a season finishing well 4th behind a still amazing Kilmarnock side who return to Europe, Aberdeen and, most importantly of all, their bitter rivals by 25 points. Michael Laudraup paid the ultimate price at the end of the season and Alex Neil is now head honcho at Ibrox. How far away those choked titles of a few years ago look now. Gerado Martino though is master of all her surveys with his fourth league title in four years and the League Cup. Aberdeen were the team beaten in the League Cup but Derek McInnes gained some revenge by claiming the Scottish Cup against the Bhoys with a 1-0 extra-time win. Business as usual in the top tier then as another year comes to a close.

Youth Prospect Update Summer 2022

A few steps back this year but also some revitalised hope. For the 2017/18 intakes their time to step up is coming now. Where are they positioned?

2017 Intake

Lewis Ross (YP 0.1):  Won't go away. Strangely. He's out of contract and is just sticking around and I'm not gonna ditch him coz you never know when all your goalkeepers might become the target of international assassins and you'll have a selection crisis but his career is going nowhere fast. Will probably go full time at the Services near Thurso soon. 

Eddie Wilson (YP 0.2): Ah Eddie, remember him. He's with Threave Rovers now in the South of Scotland League so a level down from where he was and doesn't look like he's pulled up any trees given his average rating of 6.53. Still, at least you stood up to me that time I said the defence was **** when they were ****. You sure showed me right?

Aaron Mooney (YP 0.3): Not the answer to our fullback issues but not really a problem either. His average of 6.75 is actually better than I thought it would be and he made twelve starts with a further twelve sub appearances in the league. A reliable bench option that can cover both flanks is his lot in life now and will continue to be so unless he gets itchy feet. A steady Eddie (not Wilson).

Fraser Connolly (YP 0.4): Retired at the tender age of 22. His football adventure and indeed his place on this list ends here. Released early on the season coz he was causing a bit of dressing room ruckus and clearly went nowhere else. Made thirty-five appearances for us and that is all we wrote...

Danny Gormley (YP 0.5): A steady season from Gorms averaging 6.95 and playing a less games due to two injuries. Overtaken in terms of performance this season by his DM colleague and suddenly I've got staff saying he ain't worth **** but I will always believe in Gorms who has become highly influential and put in some eye-catching performances as a Regista. Will benefit from a refinement of our tactical setup I think and is still the beating heart of this club.

Cameron Golabek (YP 0.6): I'm not sure it's going to happen for Cameron. His main hope was us sticking to the 4-1-3-2 but that formation doesn't really suit how we're developing and the wing talent we have which means, unfortunately, that Cam is going to be a casualty. Unless he successfully retrains as a DM or AM which I will give him the opportunity to do his time as at an end as only four starts and three sub appearances will attest to.

Steven McGowan (YP 0.8): McGowan made a huge stink and basically called me out and called me a promise breaker. Fancied his chances in the big wide world. Well, he got his chance and went on trial with Edusport and then that was the end of his career. A waste really. Gone at 21.

Sandy Campbell (YP 0.9): Sandy is still playing in the Juniors with Arthurlie and is clearly their super-sub option making no starts but getting thirty-five appearances. Only scored three goals mind so I'm not sure how long he can continue to average under 6.5 and not score before his career disappears. Still lasted longer than a few others of his year.

Dave Hay (YP 0.10): After the joy of his big breakthrough season last year Dave struggled to hit those heights this season. Scored eleven goals in thirty-two appearances which is okay if you're not the spearhead which he is. Big season upcoming then to see if he can get back towards twenty goals as Clark Park is breathing down his neck.

Grant Duncanson (YP 0.11): Grant was another to leave with Connolly and McGowan but he found a club not too far from my house actually as Pollock came a-calling. Scored eight goals in twenty-four starts with nineteen sub appearances as well which isn't... awful. Feel he'll need to have a bigger season next year if he's going to keep his career going but at least he gets to live in Shawlands. Which is nice.

2018 Intake

Mark Sutherland (YP 1.1): Mark is entering his peak development time now and was pretty much first choice CB all season. Had some stormers and also had some stinkers which is the nature of the beast. His average rating of 6.71 over thirty league starts is pretty decent and in his defence he was often the better CB of anyone he was partnered with. Hoping he continues to develop well especially with his leadership abilities. A key member of the first team.

Willie Nairn (YP 1.2): Bit of an up and down season for Willie Nairn because I look at his ratings and assists and the numbers are quite good. Averaging over 6.9 with seven goals and three assists from midfield is pretty good but so many times he would be a 6.3 at half-time. Is a key squad member though. I should probably have more patience with him especially with those set-piece abilities of his...

James McIntyre (YP 1.3): Highest rated striker but can't lead the line. Put in some very decent performance as a False Nine in a front two and managed to bag four goals and three assists in just fourteen starts which is... okay. The problem is we're moving away from two striker formations but having seen his abilities to play False Nine I am looking to retrain him for AM. If he's going to stay at the club that is where his future lies... unless he becomes a great solo striker.

Scott Candlish (YP 1.4): Had two games and had a stormer in the North of Scotland Cup and was average in his league outing. Too many folks ahead of him I think but am happy to keep him around for as long as he wants to stay.

Scott Park (YP 1.5): Gone. Not even a retirement page. Left the club at the beginning of the season and has disappeared into the ether. Maybe he's gone to one of they islands...

Kevin Manson (YP 1.6): Like Dave Hay he struggled to hit the heights he did last season with Jimmy Fridge actually being preferred to him at the start but slowly and surely forced his way back into contention and got some vital goals towards the end of the campaign. Actually plays much better as a Raumdeuter than a winger which means I'm going to keep the tactical tweak made towards the end of the season coz if I can get the best out of Manson he could really be something. Hoping for better than his six goals and four assists in sixteen starts and nine sub appearances next time. I have faith though.

Steven Buchan (YP 1.7): Bit of a quiet season for Buchan with MacGregor the key LW in the squad and chances to play few and far between. Made three starts and three sub  appearances and scored three goals with, unfortuantely for symmetry's sake, one assist so he didn't let anyone down. Feel like he needs a loan move to continue his development especially as there is younger back-up for MacGregor. I have high hopes for him though.

Dale Fridge (YP 1.8): Played the cup games and was okay but I felt his development would be better served on loan so he went to Armadale Thistle where he played twenty-five games and conceded thirty-one goals with four clean sheets. Good for his development and he may well get another trip out after the early cup games next season to continue. 

Jordan King (YP 1.9):  Jordan did not have a good season and has now probably slipped from being first choice reserve for Gorms and Parker to being third on that list. His midfield performances weren't great and he's got a lot of work to do if he's going to stick around. No goals or assists from twelve starts is not good enough.

2019 Intake

Jack McMillan (YP 2.1): Up and down and in and out. He, David Mullen and Aaron Mooney are all battling for that LB spot and in the cold light of day at the end of the season he was probably the best of them. Still got a few hair-tearing mistakes in him but am going to be patient and he will get the first ten or so games next season to try and make the spot his own. Ended the season okay and will be looking to make more than the eleven starts he made last year.

Sean Parker (YP 2.2): Move over Gorms because Sean Parker is the POTY this year. Played all thirty-four games in the league scored five goals and got five assists and was pretty much the only player to average over seven. This might be a damning indictment on the team rather than the emergence of Parker as THE force of Wick but he's an important player and could well battle Sutherland to be the team captain when MacGregor finally moves it on. A very good year for him though.

Steven Ballantyne (YP 2.3): I wanted more goals and assists and a better average and I got it although not by much. I have seen progress from Ballantyne which is nice but he is about to suffer competition for that place the likes of which he hasn't seen for the last two seasons so he'll need to really step it up if he is to retain his place.

Craig Cowie (YP 2.4):  Main defender on the bench but Craig's time may be coming. Wasn't great apart from in the North of Scotland Cup but with Andy Hardwick testing my patience with one to many **** performances for the last time a place next to Sutherland in the heart of defence is available. Whether Craig can claim it is up to him. Will go up against McCulloch for it and definitely has an opportunity to press for a first team place next season.

David Mullen (YP 2.5): This was a season where he could have stepped up but instead it only underlined that he probably isn't good enough for Wick. An average of under 6.6 from a over ten appearances basically tells you all you need to know. David won't be around much longer.

Jimmy Fridge (YP 2.6): Was all set to be the starting RW and was quickly shown to be out of his depth and reverted to being the bench option. Probably needs a loan to get some regular game time but we're not writing him off just yet. Did at least get a goal and assist to his name.

2020 Intake

Alan McCulloch (YP 3.1):  Played a decent amount of games with thirteen starts and, apart from the SFA Cup game (and naebody came out of that unscathed), acquitted himself in an entirely acceptable manner. Will now battle it out with Craig Cowie to be Sutherland's partner and between you and me I think that is a battle he might win.

Clark Park (YP 3.2): Bit of a breakthrough season for Clark. His five goals against Lossiemouth was clearly the highlight but he popped up with vital goals at vital times. He scored eleven like Hay and only made seven starts with ten sub appearances compared to Hay's thirty-two. Even if you take out the Lossiemouth game that's still a good hit rate and next season might be the time he starts to lead the line ahead of Hay.

Graham Lawrie (YP 3.3): Made his debut in the League Cup and conceded three but looks like an excellent prospect and will be first choice reserve if Dale Fridge goes out on loan again next season. 

2021 Intake

Jack Hoban (YP 4.1):  Not a bad first full season for Jack as he grabbed his first goal and two assists and made ten starts with a further nine sub appearances.  Overtook Jordan King as the main DM cover and will continue to deputise for Gorms and Parker next season.

Euan Grotlin (YP 4.2):  The RB experiment was stupid and poor on Euan. He is retraining as a RW and will be back up to Manson especially if t'other Fridge goes out on loan. Not a great first season but has looked decent playing at RW for the U20s so will have a chance to come again.

Bobby Henderson (YP 4.3): Not ready yet but will be making more of a step up than he did this season with Hardwick being phased out. Looks a decent prospect and will look to give him more game time next year.

Mike Hunter (YP 4.4): Went on loan to Burntisland where he performed okay and got two goals in his twenty-two games. The aim is to have him as MacGregor's back-up while sending Buchan out onj loan next season so he will be looking to add to his two appearances for the club.

Ray Paterson (YP 4.5): In desperation for a RB when Mooney was injured and Macrae was playing ***** I turned to former sanitation commissioner for Springfield Ray Paterson. He wasn't great and with two good RB prospects in the class of 2022 will probably struggle to make an impact here but if anyone can Marge... the garbageman can.

2022 Intake

Ewan Allan (YP 5.1): There are some players who just announce themselves and Allan's winner against Huntly certainly did that. His mentals ain't great but MacGregor is tutoring him so am hoping they can push him up because if they can then Ballantyne should be yesterday's AM. Got some high hopes here if it all works out.

Gary Munro (YP 5.2): The great RB hope. An inauspicious debut but I want him to be good. Please be good Gary. Don't make me go back to Ray.

Stuart Mason (YP 5.3): Tagged coz he was on the bench against Huntly but injuries prevented me from having enough subs left to get him on. Reminds me of Parker when he were a lad and will definitely get chances to impress next year.

Verdict

With the class of 2017 coming towards their 23rd/24th birthdays we are beginning to see attrition. A few players have a lot to prove next year not least Dave Hay while the new boys all look like they could slot in and improve the team immensely. One trick ponies such as Cameron Golabek are probably finished here as we tactically change direction but the interesting thing is that so far we have a handful of decent players per year rather than one mint intake. Was toying with the idea of getting rid of the HOYD and replacing him but actually he's pretty bloody good and he likes me. So he stays.

Pre-Season 2022

Another pre-season and a clarity of thought and purpose surrounds Harmsworth Park. We have a style, a plan and identity now. This might be the start of a new era... of getting 50 points again. Maybe. Anyway: friendlies.

699c91c3e045e51078798c9fa381dbbf.png

A pretty good pre-season although we didn't play anyone of note. The Halkirk result was quite annoying and we showed some gumption against Aberdeen. Manson seems to be enjoying himself again, Clark Park looks like he can slot into the first team and Sean Parker is maturing as the Segundo. Got a few clean sheets too. Oh and we won the cup.

7ef3040f0011a6e675c5d38cd15b02ee.png

Odds are slightly kinder this season with us sitting as 13th favoruites at 150-1. Brora are just above us which means the bookies are wrong or that side that came so close last season has broken up. Fraserburgh are back up the top and Buckie are favourites again. The odds don't seem to change much. I think we're top-half material. 

9c0a428c11e6cd589e78fb01712fe73e.png

Of course I'm no saying that to the board. Expectations are the same as they have been for a while and that is all fine by me...

36c79cc02d53a7b7d614aff9be96e02e.png

Movement and shakement in the hierarchies as I went and made a big call...

ec4d7159ea0c813d6a858c7bbd7082ab.png

Sean Parker's leadership, teamwork and determination were all better than MacGregor's so I told him I had better options and MacGregor accepted it. Sean Parker goes from POTY to captain while Mark Sutherland remains VC. Should see these two shoot up that chart now.

2d1a744b28c6e47b29af01682bcf8277.png

So tactically it doesn't look that different but the roles given to Manson and Gorms are ones that clearly suit them and get the best out of them. At home and against poorer sides we'll look to play the way the TIs say with Gorms stepping up and running the show as a Regista. Against better sides away from home Gorms will drop back to a much more defensive role and we'll look to defend deeper and hit on the counter with pace. Clark Park gets the nod up front ahead of Hay and Cowie gets first dibs at partnering Sutherland. This set up really seems to suit the team so I have cautious optimism.

f9d8fd3121b7064ebfbb044d853d786c.png

We've got a bit of a baptism of fire in the league with a trip to the second favoruites to start before league games at home against the favourites and the champions. Succor may come in the shape of the North of Scotland cup and a trip to Keith. We'll certainly know what kind of season we'll be in for by the end of the month anyway. 

August 2022 Update

Oh pre-season optimism you are a flighty mistress...

72dcf183ec2d88c09cdfde95ecfb2781.png

To be fair this isn't a bad start. We had an underwhelming start against Fraserburgh away before the champions administered a proper beating when Craig Cowie got himself sent off and suspended for a few games. Ewan Allan did get a fancy consolation though. I sent out a second XI against Strathspey and tbf we were very unlucky to lose it with all three goals coming in the last six minutes of extra time and their winner coming in the 120th. We then battled well against Buckie who only got a point three minutes from time but we got a reward against Keith as Clark Park grabbed two goals at the end of either half to help us come from behind to win. I'd have taken that at the beginning of the month.

66181614b14ff68ec11c1f897775623a.png

Early doors yet but Formartine have started well. We've nearly made up the goal difference of our hammering against the champions and we've looked fairly decent in patches so far. It's not been by two of CBs being out injured/suspended meaning I've had to play Bobby Henderson (YP 4.3) but he's not done badly. A steady start

51a7038a45f3d58ae1aad11d86e30056.png

Two games we should compete in before two more difficult assignments. That Cove game will move for the cup so I'm hoping for seven points and cup progression for this month.

September 2022 Update

Noooo. TFW your iconic DM gets a 3 month injury in the first game of the month. Did Gorms' injury damage us?

3f8290360bdf572766b8d16762efc90d.png

Well blow me down. Despite losing Gorms against Strathspey we managed to claim nine points and a cup win to make this a pretty good month although we were 1-0 down at half-time and without our talisman but Sean Parker stepped up in the second half along with Hay and Cowie to give us the win despite a 93rd minute consolation. We then took For WIlliam apart in a clinical home display which started to give me delusions of grandeur. Those delusions were quickly shattered by a terrible first half performance against Deveronvale as we went 3-0 down to a hattrick from their LW. Clark and Mans tried their best to get back into it as we went to 3-6-1 but we didn't have enough in the tank and suffered defeat. Clachnacuddin were our cup opponents and despite Jack Hoban giving us a good start we went in 1-1 at half-time. A rocket to Clark set him right off and he restored our lead early on in the second half and we never looked back with him grabbing the third and Mike Hunter scoring his first goal for the club to secure progression to the second round. All that was left for the month then was a trip to horrible 4-3-3 playing Cove. I made us more defensive and tweaked Willie Nairn to drive forward a bit more at AM and somehow we went in 3-0 up at half time with Nairn, MacGregor and Clark getting the goals. When Cove got one back early in the second half I feared the worse but we managed to see it out and defeat the evil FM18 formation of doom and secure a long overdue win against them. All without Gorms too.

dd55cb23bb425f2fb8549615003d61d6.png

Been a pretty good start to the season then with us sat nicely in 4th at the moment. Formartine are away already with Fraserburgh looking back to title form after last season's blip. Wither Buckie though? Is their era of Highland league dominance coming to an end? They were slow to start last season too but with just one win from the first seven games some alarm bells may be ringing.

eb0c7d11ff4529994b49742c82ce0a11.png

Busy, busy, busy October. Two tough home games first up with Forres and the postponed derby game against Brora before a tricky looking trip to Rothes. I would've preferred not to have to take on the Champions in the Scottish cup but we are at home. Lossiemouth should be a relatively winnable home game but we face another tricky tie at the end of the month away to Inverurie. We're doing okay so far though in Gorms' absence and Clark Park has definitely made that striking berth his own. James McIntyre has started to have a whinge up. Don't think he'll be long for Wick if he carries on.

October 2022 Update

Derby matches, cup matches and hair-pulling defending. Yeah it's another month at Wick...

2011c4479028da110899adab8df2f786.png

Saying all that we started with a clinical 1-0 win over Forres at home with Dave Hay coming on and grabbing the goal. We then got tewo frustrating draws with both Brora and Rothes grabbing late equalisers. Brora didn't deserve there's while Rothes probably did. I played the second XI in the cup and they got duly pumped by Formartine but it paid off as we dispatched Lossiemouth with ease. Another good month for Park and Parker which might become a thing very soon. Unbeaten month though (ignoring the cup).

eaf54efd7b10b3f95e080845028b9ed5.png

Despite being unbeaten we drop to 6th on goal difference. Buckie have won 6th on the spin to come shooting right back up the table while Formartine continue to have a five point cushion over Fraserburgh who have a five point cushion of their own against the chasing pack. Would be fair to say the title is a two horse race for now.

6b77240b51a9241926ebcefe2ecbc3fb.png

A fairly more sedate November with two winnable home games and a trip to a struggling Nairn. The Inverurie trip should be the toughest game of the month. Will hopefully see Gorms come back from injury too although Mason (YP 5.3) has been extremely reliable in his absence.

2 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

180?cb=20150828013701

I found it eliminated that red area in the tactics screen

Ha ha. It's not actually causing any issues and tbf I think the red area is because all the players are (ill-suited) to being a Regista despite both Gorms and Mason performing at 7+ there.

9 hours ago, Wavelberry said:

Ha ha. It's not actually causing any issues and tbf I think the red area is because all the players are (ill-suited) to being a Regista despite both Gorms and Mason performing at 7+ there.

Tactics creator hates Registas. Even when everything looks green, I keep getting messages saying so and so is pushing too far forward, not defending enough. Even if they're one of the best performers in the side.

9 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Tactics creator hates Registas. Even when everything looks green, I keep getting messages saying so and so is pushing too far forward, not defending enough. Even if they're one of the best performers in the side.

I think it's anti-DM prejudice which, let's be honest now, FM has indulged in for years and yet no-one at SI will come clean about it. This the real conspiracy of the match engine...

giphy.gif

November 2022 Update

All this talk of unleashing MEGAGORMS above is ignoring the fact that he's been out for a couple of months now. We've been doing okay in his absence but would it continue?

2f00797317571024e21d449c0baf6baa.png

We were shank against Inverurie and were well beaten but we then turned it right on its head against Clachnacuddin as Dave Hay entered the form zone with a hattrick. Annoyingly we lost Mason to injury so Jack Hoban came into the team with Gorms still a few weeks away. We got a controlled 1-0 win away at Nairn with Hay again popping up before a topsy-turvy last twenty minutes against Turriff. We didn't play that well but we won a pelanty in the 70th minute which MacGregor duly converted. I thought we might get another 1-0 win but Turriff equalise with five minutes to go (and TBF they did deserve it) so I was resigned to a couple of points dropped but Euan Grotlin popped up in the last minute of added time to steal the win for us with his first ever goal for the club. I was not expecting nine points from this month.

9fa7c4abd3730d3d2fb8f81b34776df8.png

We're doing pretty well being just a point behind Brora. I am not going to talk of 'best ever seasons' just yet but we're in a promising position especially with Gorms having played the 2nd half against Turriff. The title race looks interesting too with Fraserburgh well on pace with Formartine at the moment.

f3c52194a523f52466eb35114b026d1f.png

Feel good factor could well end here with all of the top three facing us this month. Formartine haven't been troubled by us since... well ever and Buckie is always a hard trip too. Am tempering expectations and expecting maybe 5 points at best this month. Still, even if that's as good as we get at least we'll have played everyone above us twice. Right?

1 hour ago, deltablue said:

That's a Megazord ;)

Megazord vs MegaGorms coming to a cinema near you in 2k18

3 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

If I remember correctly, I once played as Clachnacuddin on LMA Manager? I think?

Could you be them on LMA Manager? I remember playing the 2003 version as WBA. Got promoted in first season and lost the first 14 games in the Premier League before securing 8th place on the final day of the season. Jason Koumas was my man.

1 hour ago, BoxToBox said:

4-2 up in injury time and chucked it?!

Formartine's twitter was on fire that night!

Our's was moaning about our defending. The humourless twats.

December 2022 Update

Could we end 2022 well or would this tough run of games take it out of us?

5f345f34a6a44851216f9da2c29ab41c.png

I certainly wasn't expecting 7 points so am pretty damned pleased all things considered. Obviously the Formartine result speaks for itself but I am very pleased with the follow up trip to Huntly where we put in an extremely professional performance to win 3-1. Fraserburgh beat us and probably didn't deserve to as we had a very good second half but just couldn't put the ball in the net. We managed to make light work of Keith with Sean Parker getting the goal and he got the consolation away to Buckie too but we were never really in that game. What's nice to see is that we don't seem to be getting hammered as much by the bigger teams any more. Progress.

9bca13ddaea7d6720e52026dba65ad41.png

Still sat safely in 5th but the title race has probably opened up to take in all of those above us now. Formartine still lead the pack for now though. I don't think we can break top 4 but with a bit of luck we could be the best of the rest.

df64a74a029fd4cce7b7d51ef5494348.png

Two winnable games to start 2023 (although we'll have to be wary at Fort William) before the derby and a visit from Deveronvale to round out the month. It's times like this we've come unstuck in recent years so let's see if Wick's new found resilience can continue into the new year.

January 2023 Update

New year; same old Wick?

a4e22666b876a024b0324045f9cd1d30.png

Well, same old if this new resilience can be considered more of the same with an excellent unbeaten month. It was 2-1 at half-time against Strathspey and although we'd performed okay we looked likely to stuff it up but a clear half-time talk saw MacGregor add the third and then Clark Park seal his hattrick with a pelanty. We then went to Fort William and had a ridiculous topsy-turvy game where we were 3-2 down, 4-3 up and then a back pass to the keeper who let it bounce off his feet like they were made of concrete gave them the equaliser. 4-4 and a lot of hair had been pulled out. I was worried about our trip to Brora given the way we'd defended at Fort William but the boys turned in an excellent display. We weathered an early storm before grabbing two goals just before half-time. Brora wilted and MacGregor put the cherry on the result with an 89th minute pelanty. We then kept another clean sheet at the end of the month with Clark's early goal enough to help us beat Deveronvale . Good stuff.

40435b7aafd151951e3efe5efcca5b7a.png

We stay 5th but we are well 5th and with 9 games to go we are just 7 points off our best ever season. A top four spot is a definite possibility now if we can avoid complacency and Parker and Park can continue to score goals. The title is absolutely out of the question if you ask me but Formartine and Fraserburgh look set to go to the bitter end.

ae7629509b98642fa94ed0ec5cecef87.png

One home game against Cove before we hit the road for the rest of the month. I would have preferred a friendlier draw in the League Cup tbh but we're in decent nick so who knows if we can't spring a surprise. 

February 2023 Update

An unbeaten January? Not sure I’m comfortable with how well we’ve been doing. Am hoping they’ll bring me back down to earth with a bump…

97d9eb009ec06c1b6feff7e5722542c4.png

Decent effort lads. Decent effort. We conceded 4 goals twice this month, and both at home, to show we can still mess things up and the game against Cove was atrocious. They went 4-0 up inside 50 minutes and I had no answer. We just didn’t turn up although we did give it a decent go to get it back to 4-2 we’d given ourselves too much to do. I was a little bit worried that this represented a regression to a previous Wickian mean but a first minute Kevin Manson goal followed by enough defending for two matches (tbf we’d saved up for it the previous week) meant we took a very decent 1-0 win at a place we have struggled. We then took on Fraserburgh in the League cup and I gave a lot of the fringe players a run out. It was a tight game with few real chances but in the 120th minute with the pelanty takers warming up Jack Hoban took a free-kick and curled a low one into the net from 25 yards out. It was a classy way to win but the draw decided to stick two fingers up at us again with Formartine coming to Harmsworth our reward. The game was 1-1 coming into the last five minutes and given that I’d played all the fringe players again I didn’t want extra time so I ordered them to go for it. We got done three times and those Formartine bastards put four past us again. I wasn’t so sore though as we did a similar thing to Lossiemouth a few days later back in the league as I slipped Kevin Manson some spinach to set up one and score another before earning the corner that gave us the third in injury time. A great month ended on the road then for our away fans while our home fans must be wondering why we’re so high up the league…

c8fe6f183ffdc25d52d7bb5bac7e668d.png

Still in the top four with six games to go. I think we can talk about a best ever season now given we’re just a point away from our record of two years ago so the question is can we qualify for the League and Challenge cups for next season? Top four will do it. While we worry about that neither Formartine or Fraserburgh have blinked. Yet.

bffe014d9b702943dffc8b4106dcdeba.png

Home straight then with six games left and it is a home straight as four of them are at Harmsworth (which might not be a blessing). March sees us mid-table Rothes and Inverurie so we’ll have to be wary before we head of to Clachnacuddin at the end of the month. Of course what we’re most interested in during March though is the intake and with Dave Hay always injured and James McIntyre being a mardy **** I could do with a striker.

Youth Intake 2023

It’s yout day yo. Let’s see what we’ve got.

965ce6a0a96e275c514c3a36c135e144.png

Well my prayers for some strikers may well have been answered. A good forward looking intake…

60032f0b78ebf1f628d44efdfcc0f9f1.png

No goals in the game though. Typical.

Made the decision to let Shankland (a goalie called SHANKland? No thanks), Laing and Murray go coz they look ****. I’ve also set Polworth free as he is only a RM and I already got two back-ups for Manson. The rest are in though…

902822359c7ce7c11fa9a7691ca5572b.png

Austin Brown is another top rated CB which I seem to get every intake apart from last years (although Steven Irvine (YP 5.4) was a preferred as a CB by the U20 manager before I made him second choice LB). He could allow Bobby Henderson to go free on loan for a season to continue his development.

02f3a8bec5dc11c0f9108404c2adadaa.png

Chris Mackay-Steven has a good name for a striker in Scotland and looks good enough for me to feel fine about dismissing McIntyre. He’ll get some games before the season is out.

e5db0c635779d43993e724a02cc4c20b.png

David Canning joins the LW club. Lots of competition for that berth so he’ll have to work hard to stand out.

eaf43a22898d3064816e6bb9f1de2fe2.png

Jack Laing is an interesting one. Looks better personality wise than last year’s great hope at AM Ewan Allan but isn’t rated as well. I’ve got a feeling he could be decent though.

The intakes seem to be sorting me out at the moment given last year’s fullbacks answering prayers and this year the strikers. All eyes on Mackay-Steven then…

March 2023 Update

Records to be broken then…

e5a1c851c174adc7f9a181b822bf6bc3.png

And we broke them with style and at home. In the two home games Clark Park become the top scorer for Wick in a season, Manson got the assist record and we blew past our old points tally with two quality 4-1 wins. Shame about the absolute ***** we served up on the road at Clachnacuddin. All that praise must have gone to their heads. Still, best season ever and with power to add.

45190158bc66a3500f4eab8242c4292d.png

So the top four trophy and qualification for the League and Challenge cups is a real possibility. If I am to put on my best Arsene suit we’ll need to get 65 points I reckon and of course it would be our arch-rivals Brora who will try and stop us. Buckie could drop out as well but it will be two from three. Whatever happens we’re guaranteed 5th which I would definitely have taken at the start of the season. But now we’re here… Meanwhile Fraserburgh are two points back but have a game in hand but the title race will clearly go down to the final game of the season betwixt the two at Formartine. Whatever you say about the Highland League it ain’t dull…

0fc310d5d0c868caacce0712aef1faa1.png

Nairn and Huntly come to Harmsworth and we won’t have a better chance to get the points we need to qualify for the cups. If we do struggle (and it’s Wick so of course we will) we’ll face a trip to Turriff to try and get the job done. Not that anybody will care about that game as they’ll all be in Formartine…

April 2023 Update

Would I be cavorting down the touchline in my big puffy Wenger jacket or kicking bottles of water on my way disconsolately to the dugout on my way to top four…

8bbcf4ca923d80e382bcc1d751b9fd78.png

Hmm. We kinda blew it. Played rubbish against Nairn to follow up our Clachnacuddin nadir but it got worse at half-time against Huntly as we were 2-0 down. What was nice is that we battled like we have all season and Parker got us back in it before Park snaffled the equaliser deep into injury time. Brora were two points ahead of us by this point so I suspected we wouldn’t get top four so played some of the fringers (also we were without McCarthy in goal for the month when he injured his hand in training). It looked bleak as we were 1-0 down at half time but team Ewan/Euan came to the fore after half time along with big Dave Hay to send the Wick fans home happy and put a nice rubber stamp on our season. What was particularly pleasing is that Park, Parker and Manson were rubbish in this game and their understudies stepped up. Five points then… was it enough?

d7e0e9eb26d47a10adeffd0e7e2f3a56.png

Nah. Brora won all three of their games to take fourth spot. They’ll smile about that but I’m not gonna be too downhearted as it’s still our best season yet and I feel like we’re finally starting to settle on an identity and style. A pretty positive season for us then and an even better one for Fraserburgh who didn’t even need to do anything against Formartine as the champions choked in the penultimate game to hand their final day guests the title before they even came to them. That’s a good recovery for Fraserburgh who will now go on to lose the playoffs…

Wick Academy Season 2022/23 Review

Record breakers then. What a season for us with a record points tally and finishing position along with individual records being broken by players too.

6a1f4bf1b44119a50649f5fb964ac9c5.png

Used less players this season which is a sign of how we’ve finally settled down after the tumult of the last few seasons. Predicted 13th and finished 5th though so cannae complain about that. As for the games of the season I think the Clachnacuddin loss or Cove home defeat were the clear low water mark while any of our 4-1 homes wins or the 3-0 victory away at Brora would be better than the Cove result. Although I did love it at the time in hindsight it wasn’t as seismic.

1f3ff9a27224241fee1e33a644c01328.png

Team of the year picks itself as we had a clear first XI for most of the season. Sean Parker dominated the awards with 76% of the vote although I’d have probably given Young Player of the Year to Mason who deputised for nearly three months in Gorms’ absence. Hoban’s freekick against Fraserburgh is goal of the season and I can’t complain about that.

bd419ea96a26e2e04eacb758bb3538b6.png

Clark nets history. An excellent season from him.

8b06fdd4452efc9b451593b7b66881bd.png

While Mason continues to grow as our cheeky Raumdeuter smashing the assist record.

f5df3c18e0d5e2b0c6ba04401eda47da.png

Parker’s rating is also a new high and Mason makes an appearance on here for pass completion that lends credence to my Young Player of the Year shout. Colin Macrae continues to collect yellow cards gawd bless him while Craig Cowie’s reckless dismissal in that Formartine game the season review mentions gets him a place on the list which is pretty good for our discipline given it was the first game of the season.

141328e5f2e118922b109e6e1891d688.png

The appearances show how much the first XI were pretty ever-present this season. We have grown a decent first XI now although MacGregor needs more rockets than most. It may be time for Buchan or Hunter sooner rather than later if he doesn’t pick it up next year. What a season Clark Park had.

0942f9370a6ccff16de179441ca2be08.png

Willie Nairn has stepped up into an influential role which is annoying coz he’s far too inconsistent to make it here. He could be trouble. I will expect McCulloch and maybe Park to move up soon and Parker to continue his rise to be my apprentice.

Stats Watch: we had the most possession and the best tackling in the league while Manson topped the assist charts with McCulloch being the best tackler (Cowie was in 4th). Sean Parker was the highest rated player in the league. Scenes.

1c31ced20a692cd1a3b0f1b691c77fed.png

A cracking season then. Am hoping we can keep building rather than taking a step back to 50 points as we did the last time we had a run like this. Will Clark Park suffer like Dave Hay did? Can Sean Parker continue to dazzle? These… are questions.

07ee752c210f05daf7cba4eae13e9373.png

And I will be the one to answer them. Another contract that will take me past 5 years of a glorious galactic empire.

Around Scotland 2022/23

Let’s go round again. Fraserburgh are the brave Highland fools ready to lose in the play-offs to those fancy Lowlanders but who did they get and what else happened in Scotland? Let’s find out together shall we?

e33765f086d5892e10600319212db773.png

Edinburgh City claimed the title by three points from a very surprising set of runners up in the shape of Gala Fairydean who have been nowhere until this season. The other usual top half suspects along with a resurgent Berwick made up the rest of the chasing pack but it was the side from the Capital that won the league and would look to bounce straight back out of the non-league mire.

65ee3fb6a0303e0388aea0614f7f0c17.png

Obviously they beat Fraserburgh very easily winning both legs with lots to spare. They’re rivals for a place in League Two? Only East Kilbride. Once THE success story and now in trouble. Could they prevent themselves falling back into non-league?

5213e4848bf5bcb3f5d227429f7f5da2.png

No they couldn’t as Edinburgh dispatched them with consummate ease over both legs. The Ks fall through the trapdoor and back into non-league after a five year stay in the leagues. Edinburgh bounce back again. They are pretty much the ultimate yo yo club at this stage.

4936dd1fa6e51a838faaf8d18b40b4c7.png

East Kilbride then were well off the pace in League Two and deserved to drop while last year’s promotees Stirling Uni became THE side in Stirling finishing in the play-offs in a credible 4th place twenty points and five places above their more storied rivals. The league was extremely tight at the top with Elgin prevailing to win the title to return to League One and Airdrie also managing to get back at the first attempt by winning the play-offs. A case of so near yet so far for East Fife but they might fancy their chances again next year.

ad254f11703aa78728cff503838ea705.png

Peterhead proved too poor for League One so dropped down, missing a play-off shot by three points and automatic safety by five. They are joined by Arbroath who won League Two quite comfortable last year but found the step up too much to handle. Amazingly that means that Queens Park, who managed to squeak up through the play-offs last time out, live to fight another season. Dumbarton cantered to promotion and the title allowing them to bounce straight back to the Championship with Brechin unable to emulate finishing down in 4th and not achieving in the play-offs. Alloa finished comfortably second but were unable to make their good form count as the play-offs were won by the side in the league above.

a7237c5a10655f529f9a3f1e07c0e191.png

Absolute scenes in Dundee as they record a terrible season and drop down into the third tier for the first time ever (I believe, happy to be corrected) to leave gloom over Tannadice. This meant that last season’s promotees from League One both surived comfortably with Morton even finishing in the play-offs. Ayr took the relegation play-offs to preserve their status but this Championship season was all about Hamilton who won the league by twenty-seven points. No surprise then that the much of a muchness chasing pack couldn’t force two promotions meaning the league will stay pretty similar for next year.

b0a5caf59b3903ecab7a3ccce305e59f.png

St Mirren fall straight back through the trap-door to the Championship with the team unable to bridge the gap after last season’s title winning form. Any three of Motherwell, St Johnstone and Partick could have faced the relegation play-off and it ended up being North Lanarkshire’s finest. The prospect of the Lanarkshire derby proved enough of an incentive to keep them up and they retained their status with a comfortable play-off win. Ross County has one of their better seasons for a while but Hibs will be disappointed to have ended up on the **** end of the split.

In the top half Hearts were the whipping boys while Dundee can’t stop laughing as not only are their rivals about to face trips to Cowdenbeath and Elgin but they are going to be preparing for that while they are playing in the Europa League. Kilmarnock continue to be the best of the rest in 4th while Derek McInnes’ time at Aberdeen is finally over as the pressure building all season told and he left the club. He will always be remembered for that title though which they won a lot more recently than Govan’s finest who finished well clear in second but well adrift of first. Celtic then claim their fifth title in a row and the League Cup to do a double. Rangers will be able to console themselves with the Scottish Cup and the fact that co-efficient improvement means that both sides of Glasgow will be enjoying Champions League football. We’re on the up…

2017 Intake

Lewis Ross (YP 0.1):  Still here. Not on a contract. Doesn’t want to go anywhere. Poor lamb. Doesn’t even get that many games for the U20s. Think he got two when McCarthy was injured and Lawrie was deputising. That was it. I wonder how long he’ll linger now. Six years and counting…

Eddie Wilson (YP 0.2):  At Threave but definitely not thriving. He’s played as little as Lewis has and is on the transfer list. Unless a junior side picks him up or he goes through some sort of renaissance then I can’t see him lasting much longer. If only his big mouth hadn’t run away with him huh?

Aaron Mooney (YP 0.3): Back-up is as back-up does. Am happy to keep him around as long as he doesn’t mind the odd walk on role. Four starts and four subs and he didn’t particularly let anyone down but there are just too many prospects ahead of him. He is a squad player you wouldn’t mind keeping though.

Danny Gormley (YP 0.5): A bit of a difficult season for Gorms insomuch as his injury kept him out for nearly the first three months of the season. Performed as reliably as ever when he returned though but with no goals and no assists it feels like a bit of step back in some ways but he is our metronome and as long as he continues to do that gig I will laud him to the skies. He is still Mr Wick.

Cameron Golabek (YP 0.6): It’s all over for Cam. Let go into the big bad world but he couldn’t find anyone who wanted him. To be fair he was always a make do kind of player so to have made forty-four appearances for the club considering that is not bad but he never had the consistency or ability or drive to make it at Harmsworth and this is where his story ends.

Sandy Campbell (YP 0.9): Still at Arthurlie and still being **** averaging 6.32 over thirty-five starts and eight sub appearances. Not sure why they keep playing him so much but he’s found a gig which is more than some of his peers and he’s still playing football so good for him.

Dave Hay (YP 0.10): Struggled to lead the line last year with only ten goals but got seven this season as the back-up man. Only started three games and was underwhelming in all of them but I’m not too despairing coz his Solksjaer tribute act pulled us out of the mire a few times and if he can continue to do that I’ll be more than happy with him. Seven in fourteen sub appearances is a good return.

Grant Duncanson (YP 0.11): Still at Pollock and scored thirteen goals in the thrity-two appearances which isn’t terrible. His cup returns and low average suggest that he’s found a level that might be slightly too high for him but if the Shawlands life agrees with him then who am I to diss?

2018 Intake

Mark Sutherland (YP 1.1): Firmly established as the first-choice back-up is probably not what was expected from Mark Sutherland but as the season panned out it was quite clear that he wasn’t up to Cowie and McCulloch’s level with inconsistent performances whenever he started which is why he only started four games. With us not being assured of a decent performance off the bench either, despite sixteen chances, he may find himself falling down the order if some of the other prospects blossom. Got a fight on to remain relevant and it’ll be interesting to see how he copes with it.

Willie Nairn (YP 1.2): A bit of a breakthrough season for Wille Nairn which seems strange to say as he’s played a fair bit since coming up but this was the season where a position was found and he got an extended run and his numbers weren’t too bad. Four goals and seven assists from thirty-one league games and an average of 7.1 in a position he never knew when he started is pretty good. He’ll keep his place next year but I am mindful of wanting more from my AM area and with other people coming through who can hit a decent set-piece he may find a bit more competition for places if he’s not playing well. Steady stuff though.

James McIntyre (YP 1.3): This doesn’t look like ending well for the lad. Couldn’t perform the lone role up front which instantly created an issue despite being fancied by all the coaching staff. Agitated for a move away in January and then just before his contract expired he did his cruciates. I tried to get him to stay to at least get club rehabilitation, but his pride was too wounded and off he went when his contract expired. If he was uninjured I reckon he’d get another club easy (although whether he would perform is another matter, I don’t think he would have) but as it is this could be the end of the lad. Shame.

Scott Candlish (YP 1.4): Still here. I might just send him on his way so he’ll retire and I can stop having to write about him. Am sure he’s a nice lad.

Kevin Manson (YP 1.6): This was a season I wanted from him. Had his breakthrough two years ago, struggled a bit last year until the back end of the season but this year he performed as he can. Nine goals and seventeen assists from thirty-three games is damn good going as he’s made the RW raumdeuter role his own. A very good season and I’m hoping he’s got more in the locker.

Steven Buchan (YP 1.7): Spent the season on loan at St Andrews and… wasn’t great. One goal from thirty-four appearances with an average of 6.4 and only four assists is pretty underwhelming. He’ll get a chance to impress me here next season but if he doesn’t take it then it could be goodbye to someone I had hoped would kick on.

Dale Fridge (YP 1.8): Another one who went out on loan and did a decent job for Preston in the East of Scotland League. His development is going pretty well and averaging a more than he did on loan last season is a higher league is promising. If I can get him a Lowland League gig next year I’ll send him but if not I’m not sure what will happen. McCarthy is way better than him and, crucially, still only twenty-four. It may be a case of a good goalkeeper but not at a time of need.

Jordan King (YP 1.9): Still keeping him around and he got two starts and three sub appearances during mega-injury times and busyness. Not sure how much longer he’ll stick around though.

2019 Intake

Jack McMillan (YP 2.1): A comeback season for Jack as he made the LB spot his own. Twenty-seven appearances but an average of 6.84 and, more importantly for an attacking WB, just the two assists suggest that this a position that could do with an upgrade. For now though we have a steadyish performer for the role which is more than we could say this time last year so we’ll shake him by the hand and hope he improves again next season.

Sean Parker (YP 2.2): We have a new star. Captain, leader, legend and performances that belie his tender years this was the season Sean Parker made himself the heir apparent to Gorms’ Mr Wick title. Already favoured personnel, if he turns in another few seasons like this he’ll be legend in no time. Nine goals, six assists and five MotM awards in his thirty-one appearances with an average of 7.65. If Gorms’ is our metronomic heartbeat then Sean is our head and it’s partnerships like theirs that make all this youth nonsense worth it. Cracking stuff. More of the same please.

Steven Ballantyne (YP 2.3): Was never the likeliest star but am beginning to wonder if he’ll be anything more than an average squad player. Went on loan to Culter in the Juniors and averaged 5.6 with one goal in twenty appearances. That’s shocking and he’ll have to show me something amazing to keep his place at Wick.

Craig Cowie (YP 2.4): Battle was on for the CB berths and he won. Breakthrough season for Craig with with thirty-one appearances and an average over seven which for Wick CBs is unheard of. Has created a good little partnership with McCulloch and is the senior member of it. One of the first names on the teamsheet.

David Mullen (YP 2.5): Lost the fight with his peer McMillan and lost the battle to stay at the club. If I’m not showing you his retirement page next season I’ll be very surprised.

Jimmy Fridge (YP 2.6): Another underwhelming loan experience for someone looking to step up from the back-ups. Went to Musselburgh and averaged 6.38 from thrity-four appearances with just two goals and three assists. Very much in the same position as Buchan. His career is on the line next season. What will he do?

2020 Intake

Alan McCulloch (YP 3.1):  A breakthrough season for Alan as much as it was for Craig as he made thirty-four stars for the club. More fancied than his CB partner but less consistent I am going to chalk that up to age. I expect big things from him and this season is a great example of why. He’s not even twenty yet.

Clark Park (YP 3.2): I honestly didn’t expect this. Clark Park you can take a bow young man. Led the line all season like a veteran striker of twenty-nine in his prime rather than the nineteen year old tyro he is. Twenty-three league goals (a record), twenty-five goals (a record) as well as chipping in with seven assists. I am excite. Obviously now he is known it’ll be interesting to see if he can sustain the level but if we’re going to have a twenty a season man then he might be it. A big reason we finished as we did.

Graham Lawrie (YP 3.3): Seven appearances from Graham and didn’t let anyone down in them. Continues to develop well. It might be his turn for a loan if I can’t get the level I want for Dale. They look very similar the two of them and Graham’s age difference to Danny McCarthy might mean he has the more likely future.

2021 Intake

Jack Hoban (YP 4.1):  Development continues apace for the promising looking Hoban. Ten starts and seven sub appearances with two goals isn’t bad going this early in his career. Understudy to Parker so I will be expecting a bit more than that if he’s going to claim a first team place but a decent year and, of course, scored that last minute goal of the season to knock Fraserburgh out of the cup. Can’t complain about that.

Euan Grotlin (YP 4.2):  Grotlin vs Jimmy Fridge is going to be the battle of 2K24 to see which of those will be back-up to Manson. Grotlin’s season spent at Wick was mildly productive and he did seem to get more comfortable in the RW area as the season wore on. Scored both his goals against Turriff and both were vital. There is promise there.

Bobby Henderson (YP 4.3): Made seven starts and was okay given his age. His fight is with Sutherland for the back-up role from the bench next season and judging by the way both of them performed this season it’s a fight Bobby is winning. Hoping he continues on his upward curve.

Mike Hunter (YP 4.4): Another class of 2021 who is taking on someone from a year above to nail a back-up role. It will be him vs Buchan for the understudy to MacGregor role and this role is slightly more important given MacGregor’s indifferent form throughout the season. For his part he made seven starts and scored three goals with a further ten appearances from the bench. Steady.

Ray Paterson (YP 4.5): Didn’t do much this season and has slid down the list of possible RB understudies. Not sure he’ll do much else.

2022 Intake

Ewan Allan (YP 5.1): Didn’t do much in his cup starts but two goals and three assists from his fifteen sub appearances in the league isn’t a bad return. He is the one to put pressure on Willie Nairn and given Nairn’s consistency isn’t the best those opportunities will continue next year.

Gary Munro (YP 5.2): A bit of a mixed bag for Gary Munro as he was terrible in the Scottish cup, steady in the league and decent in the North of Scotland and Highland cups. An average of 6.7 across nine starts and eleven sub appearances isn’t too shabby though given it’s his first full season and I’m looking forward to seeing him continue to develop next season.

Stuart Mason (YP 5.3): Stepped into Gorm’s shoes when he was injured and did a bang-up job averaging seven in his nine starts. Struggled in the Highland League Cup later in the season but given he was thrown into the deep end very early he has performed admirably and my hopes have increased in regards to what he might be able to do.

Steven Irvine (YP 5.4): Tagged for looking decent in the U20s and then given a run towards the end of the season earning six starts and a further three sub appearances. Looks like he could be someone to pressure McMillan but it is early days yet and he’ll need to work on his attacking thrust.

2023 Intake

Chris Mackay-Steven (YP 6.1): Looked interesting when coming through but the more I see the less I like. Absolutely has a chance given McIntyre’s departure but has got a long way to go before the first team if his two sub appearances are anything to go by and there are other options in that intake. A lot of work ahead.

David Canning (YP 6.2): Tagged as I had intended to play him against Turriff in the last game of the season but Cowie’s 8th minute injury forced my hand and he was the unlucky bugger to miss out. A LW prospect and that is where an opening is so a chance will be his.

Verdict

Some big players have come to the fore this season. With the spine of the team looking really set. The right flank looks more secure than the left and this is where some might be able to step up but we’re getting to a stage where if you’re a CB or DM you may struggle to get a game. Interesting to see how vital that 2019 intake has become despite having the least players tagged in it. Quality not quantity innit.

NB: no links coz I did this on a train but rest assured all I said was true. Honest.

Archived