Am i the only one really happy with the 17 ME?

45 minutes ago, DP said:

Hasn’t it been confirmed that the match engine has not changed? But the graphics engine has? :/

do you know something I don’t or shall we just resume this conversation when the games out then?

What I'm saying is that the only thing that has been made public so far is a few seconds goal mouth action, so how can that possibly be enough to suggest whether the ME has drastically changed or not?

And as far as I'm aware there has been no confirmation that the ME hasn't changed.

Based on the short clips so far there doesn’t appear to be a huge difference. I have no doubt things have changed in the engine but it doesn’t look like something as significant as collision is in this year. I’d expect to have heard about it in the headlines too if that was the case - such is the impact on the overall game. 

Unless SI have a massive surprise up their sleeve - it’s unlikely. That’s my point. 

3 minutes ago, DP said:

Based on the short clips so far there doesn’t appear to be a huge difference. I have no doubt things have changed in the engine but it doesn’t look like something as significant as collision is in this year. I’d expect to have heard about it in the headlines too if that was the case - such is the impact on the overall game. 

Unless SI have a massive surprise up their sleeve - it’s unlikely. That’s my point. 

We have to wait for the ME video... that's the only way we are getting the features.

7 minutes ago, DP said:

As above - my point is around something significant like collision. I’m fully aware the ME is iterated every year. I’m more talking a whole new ME which will happen at some point. 

A massive revamp of the ME may happen at some point, but I doubt if they will code a new engine from scratch.  The initial code for the ME was laid down over 30 years ago, This is one of the reasons FM has no real competitors, It would take them too long to catch up.

The hope I have is that something has been in development along side the current one and will be released one year when ready. The current one isn’t dreadful but there are fairly large deficiencies that need addressing. Maybe they can be addressed in the current engine but if not the new one will have to come in. 

27 minutes ago, DP said:

The hope I have is that something has been in development along side the current one and will be released one year when ready. The current one isn’t dreadful but there are fairly large deficiencies that need addressing. Maybe they can be addressed in the current engine but if not the new one will have to come in. 

Not sure they have the man power for that, but hey you may be right

Guest El Payaso

Been praising FM 2013s engine a lot compared to the current and the last couple of iterations. And still get the feeling with just one video that it actually is better. There isn't really high amount of pressure applied by the teams but I would claim that the defending players do apply a lot more pressure on the player that is in possession of the ball and also tracking back and general defensive positioning is better. The goals that I've seen on these FM 2013 videos to me make much more sense and the variation is better. Of course it's not perfect and for example running with the ball based on just this one video looks quite powerful but for me this was a lot better. 

16 hours ago, herne79 said:

What I'm saying is that the only thing that has been made public so far is a few seconds goal mouth action, so how can that possibly be enough to suggest whether the ME has drastically changed or not?

And as far as I'm aware there has been no confirmation that the ME hasn't changed.

I get that the new camera angle was the feature being highlighted... but it both amuses and perplexes me that in the few seconds they gave us, they chose such a poor passage of play!

Why not show us a goal or a lovely passing move or (playing devils advocate) a new animation.

Early days for me, but I think the only complaint I have about the ME in 17, well, two actually are:

1. Wingers cutting inside far too early and far too often.

I understand the reasoning, modern wingers do cut in, but it often leaves me fighting in the central areas, and not actually making the winger do what I want him to be, which is a wide outlet. As every other role cuts in, I really do feel the winger should stay way, way out there and stretch the pitch a bit more, especially in the final third, where they can often be in line with an Advance forward and Inside forward, which is absolutely where they shouldn't be if possession is being recycled. The result is, I'm finding more width from fullbacks than I am from a winger, and less actual wide wing play exploitation that I genuinely do want to see.

2. Wide defending looks a bit odd.

I've only glanced at other complaints about this, but I did catch my wide midfield players standing out wide in a odd place when defending. I'm not sure if that's genuinely their attempt at defending, or their attempt to stay out wide for a counter attack. It is something for me to keep an eye on anyway.

That said, I'm only really 15 games into a save file so, early days.

Guest El Payaso

This video for me quite much summarizes the match engine. The game play starts at 6.30 and Leicester is totally destroyed through the middle by over 40-year-old Totti. Centre backs never willing to mark him tightly and that probably leads Totti to have 80-100 pass attempts throughout the match. At 7.20 is a good example of players being too technical inside tight spaces: really strongly hit shot/cross which Vardy controls like it's nothing also there are other examples of that such as Salah at 6.40 simply ghosting with the ball through the defender. 

The ME of FM 2017 was really rarely able to produce anything sensible in terms of creating chances and goals. 

I really have no idea what you are talking about? Nothing wrong with Vardy at 7.20, nothing wrong with Salah at 6.40 (ghosting through the defender? Again what are you talking about?), Totti plays good but nothing extraordinary (rating 7.6?), he is marked tightly all the time (8.08, 12.02)? Obviously sometimes he has the class to escape from it since the video only shows some highlights. I see some great to watch football, much variety, different styles and different types of goals, one long shot, one great play through the middle, one goal after a nice cross.

So thanks for this video anyway- for me its the final proof that the FM 17 is really fantastic because if THIS is what people show to criticise the ME it must really be a great one.:-)

Guest El Payaso
On 10/19/2017 at 16:54, Defensive said:

So thanks for this video anyway- for me its the final proof that the FM 17 is really fantastic because if THIS is what people show to criticise the ME it must really be a great one.:-)

You're welcome. Of course everybody is entitled to their opinion and it's good that you enjoyed it.

Although you need to be a little bit blind not to see that Totti is basically single handedly destroying Leicester on that match while all of Roma attacks basically are built through the middle on a slow tempo against an 'organized' defense and basically always short handed. But somehow still huge holes appears inside the defense. Would actually be interesting to see how many attempted passes Totti had on that game. Probably something close to 80 while IRL even top forwards struggle to reach 20.

The Vardy situation and Salah. Prime examples of situations where players probably should be taking a heavy touch and Salah indeed does ghost through Fuchs at 6.44. 

This is Totti's final game for AS Roma. Do you see any difference compared to FM in terms of teams defending 20-40 meters of their own goal? On which example the more advanced players have more time and space with the ball? 

Archived