FM09 Tactical preparation prior to 14/11/08

ive only ever had about 3 formations lol

4 4 2 was standard for years then it became a 4 2 2 2 with wingers or one winger and a sided mid with 2 cms

i love target man formations so one up top on a 4 3 3 or 4 5 1 works for me

my stangest formation was this winner back in 00/01

.................st st

.............cm.....cm...cm

...................dm

wb..............................wb

.............cd......cd

a wing back formation with only 2 defenders lol

martin palermo and sheva upfront = win

WWFan - I'm sure I speak for all FM tacticians when I say that I am looking forward to reading your new theories. Always a great help in getting the basics right, making solid tactics and experimenting to get the best out of your side.

I'm definitely preparing my tactics to fit the players at the club I will be managing in my first game on FM09! :)

November 14th can't come soon enough! :D

Couldnt agree more!

My verbosity is taking a short holiday. :D

wwfan, out of interest how much of your previous work do you use on a new FM theory camapaign or do you start from scratch with the new game? I am working with 08 very much as a basis for my ideas, expecting tweaks to be necessary, but am concerned I may be misleading myself.

I've found that my theories have remained fundamentally sound from FM07 onwards, bar minor CD and width settings. However, with my long-term involvement with the FML Beta and onwards, I have considerably expanded in scope and knowledge, which allows me to build many different tactical systems rather than focusing on the 4-4-2 as previously.

Since the announcement of no arrows, I've been playing FM08 without the use of arrows to get some ideas. Its been really successful. As liverpool going 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1 I've found the game is much more realistic. High possession and good control. Not crazy score lines with my full backs running to centre forward, wingers going off at 90 degrees and the like.

My tactical prep has been to simply not use arrows and it's made it a much better game. Wish I'd done it a year ago

I also look forward to the numerous tactical theories and systems when the game comes out and expect to spend many long nights reading the stuff. I really enjoy reading at how some people manage to take apart the match engine and explain what does what, geeky I know ;) though I love football so not that geeky!

My (extremely good, if I say so myself :D) 07 tactics weren't very good on 08, even though I chose a team I thought would be perfect for them (namely Barcelona). I tweaked them here and there, and a few became decent tactics. I then read the major guides in the T&T forum, and one became what I would consider a good tactic.

The main reason I play 07 more than 08 is that I have a wide range of tactics that work very well on that, whereas I only have 1 which is good enough to finish in the top four of a league in 08. 09's ME sounds very good though, so I should be able to come up with a few good tactics for that.

Since the announcement of no arrows, I've been playing FM08 without the use of arrows to get some ideas. Its been really successful. As liverpool going 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1 I've found the game is much more realistic. High possession and good control. Not crazy score lines with my full backs running to centre forward, wingers going off at 90 degrees and the like.

My tactical prep has been to simply not use arrows and it's made it a much better game. Wish I'd done it a year ago

DB1, thanks for that you have me thinking. Please confirm do you mean that a 442 (eg) with ML/R farrows to AML/R would now be set up as 4222 (with 2 AML/Rs from the start. Also if using long farrows would that be set up as 424?, it cant be 4222 with AMR/L's as that would be 442 with short farrows (see above) surely? Im confused and want to understand, help please.

wwfan, do you have any input on that point yet, as you agree with non use of farrows (NB Am trialling on FM08, please bear that in mind if you reply)

Thanks.

I'm not sure I can prepare for FM09 tactical wise until I choose the team I will manage as it surely depends on the team as to what tactics you will play.

That depends whether you believe in the "tactis to suit players available" or the "Shoehorn players into your tactical preference" I suppose.

Can I just make a point. When people ask what is a good tactic in FM, there is no answer for this.

Yes, FM is a computer game but its about football. What are good tactics in football?

I just think it sort of kills it when people come up with these theories about what 'cheats' the match engine as opposed to, what works in football.

I like to think that FM is sophisticated enough to represent football, the game.

Knowing about the current match engine should not matter. Knowing about football helps.

what a loser you are

says somebody named after a wrestler

ive only ever had about 3 formations lol

4 4 2 was standard for years then it became a 4 2 2 2 with wingers or one winger and a sided mid with 2 cms

i love target man formations so one up top on a 4 3 3 or 4 5 1 works for me

my stangest formation was this winner back in 00/01

.................st st

.............cm.....cm...cm

...................dm

wb..............................wb

.............cd......cd

a wing back formation with only 2 defenders lol

martin palermo and sheva upfront = win

that last formation has done me wonders for Arsenal on FM08. Narrow attacking midfielders bursting forward with explosive wing backs.

Although its back to good ole 4-4-2 for me for FM09 with my beloved Fulham

i always have a nightmate with football manager at first when it comes to tactics

for example in fm 05 i played a very high tempo, attacking 4-4-2 with wolves for about 70 minutes, then I'd slow the game down and focus just on keeping posession for the final 20 mins and it worked great!

i only signed andy reid and michael dawson come to think of it and i finished top scoring well over 100 goals and conceding just around 20

i then used it when i went up (bit risky i know), but i instructed my players to go in hard and go on the counter attack, but i didnt want to be sitting back for the majority of football matches. and over three seasons i managed to finish around a respectable 5th then i got a gf and just lost track with it lol

ive used it in 06 07 and 08 but to no avail, i just end up with tired players and a dire goal difference

in 08 i just stuck to a balanced, and compact 4-4-2, not adventurous but i got to the uefa cup final (and lost lol) but i was satisfied enough

so guys im just asking if you'd be kind enough to share any of your tactics that you've used in most football manager games and what type of players it suits!!! :thup::)

in FM 08 i've used a variety of tactics. I always play as my favourite team Sheff Utd:

In championship i used a 442 with my wingers making runs and i won the league comfortably

I stuck with these tactics in my first year in prem and came 17th...

2nd season i was struggling near the bottom so adopted a more attcking 442 with all midfield making runs.. came 17th again

3rd year changed to a 31312 formation and came 8th

4th season same as 3rd and came 4th (won league cup, uefa cup and fa cup)

5th season changed to a 22312 formation

----GK----

----CB--CB------

WB-----------WB

---MC-MC-MC---

------AMC-------

----FC---FC-----

Score loads of goals but let in fair few as well- needs good CB (i have terry and hobbs) and good MC to drop back (i have mongongu) so works well at the moment

I seem to change tactics to fit the players styles and the way the team is playing at certain points in the season

Ditto - and its really put a breath of excitement into FM'08 for me. I'm really enjoying it, and looking forward to '09 wholeheartedly.

Ditto - and its really put a breath of excitement into FM'08 for me. I'm really enjoying it, and looking forward to '09 wholeheartedly.

Having had hints at how arrowless works and having seen the latest videos I am pretty excited. Will keep my short Man City FM08 game going as I tweak those tactics (442) and bear in mind the arrowless future. So my Saturday night's its gonna be Stanford 20/20 on Sky, then to bed, then up early to download demo in the morning - midnight may be a bit busy online!

Having had hints at how arrowless works and having seen the latest videos I am pretty excited. Will keep my short Man City FM08 game going as I tweak those tactics (442) and bear in mind the arrowless future. So my Saturday night's its gonna be Stanford 20/20 on Sky, then to bed, then up early to download demo in the morning - midnight may be a bit busy online!

The thing about trying the no arrows approach in FM08 is that I am interested to see if we will see the real results with the ME as the AI will still use arrows (does that make sense to people?). I'm in the last season (due to '09 being imminent!) of my long save with Man Utd and have started the season with 7 straight wins including beating Chelsea and Arsenal, as I only finished runner-up to Arsenal last season with 89 points I want to make sure that I win the title this year. Has anybody who has tried the no arrows approach in 08 found that they are still successful despite the AI still using the arrows?

The thing about trying the no arrows approach in FM08 is that I am interested to see if we will see the real results with the ME as the AI will still use arrows (does that make sense to people?). I'm in the last season (due to '09 being imminent!) of my long save with Man Utd and have started the season with 7 straight wins including beating Chelsea and Arsenal, as I only finished runner-up to Arsenal last season with 89 points I want to make sure that I win the title this year. Has anybody who has tried the no arrows approach in 08 found that they are still successful despite the AI still using the arrows?

I havent actually tried without arrows yet (except in my tactical variations which dont have them anyway) as my understanding is that setting fruns will result in frun arrow/barrows appearing as indicators of frund, so the conclusion I have is that fruns + arrows is a bit of a muddle in FM08 and has been substantially reworked to manage the arrow exclusion, hence such experimentation in '08 may be abit misleading, all other aspects I imagine are similar though.

I havent actually tried without arrows yet (except in my tactical variations which dont have them anyway) as my understanding is that setting fruns will result in frun arrow/barrows appearing as indicators of frund, so the conclusion I have is that fruns + arrows is a bit of a muddle in FM08 and has been substantially reworked to manage the arrow exclusion, hence such experimentation in '08 may be abit misleading, all other aspects I imagine are similar though.

Ok, well maybe wwfan knows more. But with a little over 37 hours until the demo is released I guess it's not that important now! Plus I'm playing Man U king's short challenges til then.

Archived