A Tale of Greed - The Slavia Sofia Story

wynter

6c6856280ae4e836c5252c6c91901a15.png

Match of the Year by far, probably the tensest game we'll have this season.

Went down early after a mistake in the box, the first of several really as Hristov and Congo both had shocking games averaging 6.2 and 6.3 and it only got worse from there as we went down to 2-0 before Tanase pulled one back in the 41st. Right on half-time a pen had Liverpool up 3-1 and motoring out of the contest.

We switched back to Avarice, Tanase and Kraev both being pulled and went out to try and salvage at least a small portion of our dignity.

Then came one of the best halves of football I've seen in a long time. Shots flying everywhere from Liverpool putting Onana into overdrive and the smooth, silky football we were known for coming back for an evening. The Krejcik's put on a masterclass of attacking flair, Milan setting up two and scoring one as we shifted him to an Advanced Playmaker role and took the shackles off him.

3-2, 3-3, 4-3 and then we snatched the 4th to set up an exciting 15 minute dash.

In the 84th...

fb42ec0d261382217a17cfc7f990f8b7.gif

Spurned a glorious chance, mind you Liverpool did a  minute later as well so all up I'm happy with 4-4

One more point from 2 games needed, Madrid up next.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

aa53e5ea80933c7b587899942997b912.png

We aren't anywhere near Real Madrid's quality so getting out of that match with something was astounding.

I hope to god we don't get them in the Knockout Rounds though, they're incredibly good.

2958d67c081ea5e9f481d81fa0ba9a66.png

For January Reinforcement...

21c1d565dd9d71643862870e0391d804.png

Contemplating a bid, I don't need a DM/CM but he's incredibly good and with a season of First Team football could easily lend us a high resale value if nothing else.

On 7/10/2017 at 13:48, wynter said:

The World Cup threw up some interesting results. A nice run by Sweden into the Quarters,but from there normal service resumed and France look to be an unstoppable team as it stands. Should be a fun challenge headed into 2026/30.

European Championship Qualifiers - Group Stage

4161b17936ffc8ce6417102125244b26.png

4a03f0a60cea852952630d8f90423031.png

37 Points needed from 17 games and we're on track. Full credit to CSKA though, they're at least managing to maintain the pace and keep it interesting. 

Biggest Story of the Winter Break is Matej Krecjik

cfddf7ed463783a522d752be3b3e56d5.png

Couldn't renew his contract as he wasn't interested in renewing unless we won the CL, I decided to risk losing him on a free and keep him for the season for a proper Champions League tilt and in January Inter have swept in to pick him up.

Our immediate replacement has been located already in the form of Thiago

e9e18d860757ba1d8014133b37e2cb8f.png

5.5mil and an exchange for Samuel who's been frozen out of our main squad as of late. Seems an easy deal and given we're only allowed 5 foreign players this gives me an easy way to offload one and keep in line with the squad rules. Shame he won't get Champions League football this season but 6 months to gel in the team and take over from Krejcik immediately has its advantages. All dependent on if Samuel agrees terms with SPT though.

Just read this in one sitting (like a few others it seems), quality progress so far especially doing well in Europe as early as you did, youve inspired me to do a similar save with botev plovdiv, tactics wise have you noticed teams in the league using similar systems as each other (4-4-2 etc) and have there been many quality prospects from other bulgarian teams?

1 hour ago, pezza96 said:

Just read this in one sitting (like a few others it seems), quality progress so far especially doing well in Europe as early as you did, youve inspired me to do a similar save with botev plovdiv, tactics wise have you noticed teams in the league using similar systems as each other (4-4-2 etc) and have there been many quality prospects from other bulgarian teams?

Awesome man, good luck with it

Most of the top teams ala CSKA, Ludogorets and Levski tend to use a 4-2-3-1 derivative, both CSKA and Ludo use 2DMs though in place of CMs. Rest of the league is more defensive minded with 4-5-1's that sit deep. 

Majority of prospects have come from other sides. Yoskov was at Cherno More iirc, and in terms of regens CSKA and Ludogorets have probably produced better players than my own intakes. Lokomotiv Sofia did well too but then got relegated to the 3rd tier and that was that. Beroe's had some cracking prospects as well. 

fcdc76f826ff64a0034445f4dc44cac0.png

Full credit to Celtic, they gave us an incredibly tough challenge. Once we got to extra-time though Yoskov ran the show and put it beyond reach.

9b43a47d882efc6a4ecc849cc43a9dcb.png

An ageing Chelsea squad stands in our way and while still very formidable, I've got a good feeling about this.

Samuel turned down SPT so Thiago won't be coming until at least the summer window, but I have stepped in for a future striker regardless after doing some scouting.

f6c6e253a47dc4ccd397628bdb86da22.png

I really like the look of him and he's got all the makings of a second Krejcik.

"I had to choose between an honest arrogance and a hypercritical humility..."

article-2338778-1A3E679B000005DC-374_634

The conference was packed, full of reporters sniffing for the mere scent of a story, little did they know they were about to be thrown one of the juiciest of the year.

“Questions?” Antonia asked, motioning towards the SkySports Reporter as Price relaxed in his chair, the epitome of composure.

“Scott Truesdale here. Jason, Slavia weren’t expected to get out of the Group Stages this year or the year before. You now find yourself back here once again in the quarter finals after a spectacular run last year that ended against Barcelona. What are your ambitions tomorrow when you walk onto Stamford Bridge?”

“Win? What else would we be here for?” Price replied. “At the very least we’ll want to be walking out tomorrow with a result we can turn around at home.”

“But given the sheer disparity of wealth between yourself and Chelsea, how do you expect to overcome a team with the sheer amount of resources Chelsea possess?”

“Wealth doesn’t indicate Quality.” The Slavia Manager stressed before he shrugged. “It’s not like Chelsea uses that money well anyway. We can match them man for man and then some.”

Antonia did her best to hide her internal panic, meanwhile the reporters were desperately raising their hands, begging for her to pick them. She gestured at the man in front of her, her hands shaking as her body was reduced to nought but a nervous wreck.

“Riley Polotrus here, Freelance.” The man said. “I have two questions, the first is can you comment on rumours linking you once again to the Brazilian Job?”

“They made an offer, I refused. I’m more interested in staying on with the Bulgarian National Team.”

The man jotted his notes down and then looked around at the room. “And to ask the question I’m sure everyone in the room is after, what are your thoughts on the current Chelsea squad?”

Antonia hissed something in his ear, but whatever it was didn’t register, his mouth moving before he could listen.

“Old, Over-rated and ripe for the picking.”

f505eab10a5fa789b4058d451d7ee4cc.png

64ae3c99cb0d29548966afea4a3bf205.png

Is it arrogant when it's true?

d2414ce7a978ee383d955bf9ea8cdbd4.png

Onto a real challenge...

So yeah, the average age of the Chelsea squad was 30, of that at least 5 of the starters were 32+. Our tactic was to run them into the ground and youthful verve ultimately triumphed over old hands... PSG though are going be an insanely difficult opponent, I'll run through their squad later.

Slavia Sofia vs Paris-Saint Germain

Leg 1

Three players to be terrified of in this PSG Line-up were Stenning, Nardinocchi and Sanches

3896bf221a66876d1db7afe65f45a627.png

Stenning potentially being the greatest english player to ever lace up his boots.

2a05413de1932fcc892e97c92299ffa4.png

Nardinocchi the still developing star of the Italian National Team.

b5656ff240da646d613de0168d292bb7.png

Sanches, dubbed a future star by the world already in a universe where he fulfilled every iota of that promise.

f858939a01133ff0ffde1c94ea78662e.png

A star-studded team on every area of the pitch, Stenning for some reason thankfully left on the bench for the first game.

The only way to get out of this tie would be to win at home, we'd have next to no chance away and with this in mind we employed the Symplegades.

edb5ea5f249c5d68ad424d38dd3d243e.png

Our late January signing in Takahashi was going to have the most important role in the game, finding a way to blunt PSG's offence. As you can see he was brought in fully for that purpose for any team we'd play, an ideal BWM with bundles of energy and the speed to roam all over the pitch when needed.

c48f0891cbf5e030ec13aa78f86b869d.png

The Game

26th Minute

Munoz searches out wide for Mendyl, Mendyl dispossessed but the ball rolls back to Takahashi who returns it to Munoz, Slavia go direct looking for Yoskov, Yoskov with plenty of time...

a6d655450be9fe1051777d4f91f90607.png

Through ball to Krejicek...

Blasted over the bar! 0-0

32nd Minute

Throw in by Mendyl, finds Yoskov who play it on to Tanase. Skates past Marquinhos and a low cross finds Krejicek...

824e81941cc59426657a5be94dd6b812.png

GOAL

No mistake this time, buried into the bottom left corner and Slavia take the lead.

42nd Minute

Corner to PSG, headed out by Slavia but the ball finds Coman, he runs with it, surging into the box.

Backheels it through Mendyl and Yoskov!

GOAL KIMPEMBE

1-1 on the stroke of Half-time

Half-Time

Slavia Sofia with nothing to show for their dominance, locked at 1-1 despite 13 shots to 3, can they get anything out of this second half?

62nd Minute

Onana plays a long ball, Katsarski outleaps Theo Hernandez and Kimpembe as Tanase surges into the midfield to retrieve the ball.

He has options...

99fe634fa2967e8c91e764b757231f0b.png

A deft chip over Hernandez finds Katsarski, the 17 year old runs through unopposed for a one on one...

GOAL 2-1 Slavia, a superb finish, blasted into the top corner!

64th Minute

Slavia piling on the pressure, Metodiev builds up from the back to Takahashi, Takahashi to Milan, Milan to Tanase, back to Takahashi to Febas, plays to Matej with his back to goal, turns and places it beyond Marquinhos as Milan bears down on the PSG Goal...

SAVED, Oblak parries away the shot, Price and Milan with their head in their hands as they miss a golden opportunity to go 2 goals up and create a buffer for Leg 2.

74th Minute

Febas retrieves the ball in midfield, Milan to Hristov, Long ball to Matej, Marquinhos wins the header but Takahashi picks up the loose ball, played out wide to Nikolov, gets by Theo Hernandez and cuts it back to Katsarski, a cross floated to the back post finds Tanase who hits it on the volley...

HITS THE POST, PSG scramble it out of the box and they manage to survive.

Full-Time

f9a92d6934ec1bcacb22cdd978bb8c34.png

PSG escape Bulgaria, wounded but far from out of this tie. Slavia will feel disappointed even with victory.

Ten minutes left and a goal down, PSG chasing vengeance after being brutalised in the last match. We've had the lions share of possession, desperately trying to keep the ball off them but our attempts to hold out were foiled in the 47th minute. Marquinhos bagging the coveted goal off a corner.

10 minutes... What will await us? A Champions League Final or disappointment?

Mendyl throws the ball in Tanase picks it up, spins past his man and laces a shot right into Matej...

It rebounds to a Slavia Player...

Yoskov has the ball.

Yoskov takes a shot...

12418ea752aa1be7be4e68da07989205.gif

GOLASO, It could only be him.

Ten Minutes to hold out...

c69b2c060fd6821d3fda3b378584884d.png

Into a Champions League Final

9a47876a-3620-4d39-96b5-095447817d3a.jpg

A match against the reigning champions, looking to go back to back. The best that Europe has to offer.

Announcement

Greeting Readers,

Sadly, the final update of the match against Manchester United looks like it'll be the last I make. I've moved into the new season and come across what seems to be a pretty game breaking bug. 

If you'll take notice here, last season the Bulgarian League kicked off in Late July/First Week of August

e3e4aa53b63914a583534b584ae929f6.png

Now if you look at the top right corner of this pick you'll notice the date (August 31st)

56ef54ed3533e322851f763b08d4cd0c.png

The League hasn't been reset for this season, we have no competitive games outside of the Champions League.

e220afbdf7d304d3f19b59f15a0701be.png

The standings continue to show the previous season without change. I've been simming ahead multiple weeks to try and see if it'll kickstart but so far there's been no progress.

I might resign and holiday a season to see if this issue is addressed, but if it doesn't then it's entirely out of my hands.

• 1 month later...

Champions League Final

Slavia Sofia vs Manchester United

We are live at the Ataturk Olimpyat for the biggest match in the history of Bulgarian Football as Jason Price's Slavia take on the might of Manchester United led by the Legendary Jose Mourinho.

The Game

8th Minute
Congo moves the ball to Takahashi, Slavia push forward onto Tanase but his pass is misplaced and Manchester United surge on the counter. Pogba plays Lirola down the wing but a crunching tackle by Mendyl give Slavia the ball back and it’s Slavia’s turn to hit Manchester United on the break. Kraev takes the ball a touch too forward and is dispossessed by N’zonzi, Martial receives the ball and splits the Slavia Defence as Rashford runs on…

7bf818f9056c8ba8dc05b8907de86e6a.png

WIDE, first chance of the games goes begging 0-0.

23rd Minute
Throw in by Mendyl headed by Mkhitaryan but it finds its way back to the Slavia player. Mendyl to Takahashi, finds Kraev who sends it through to Tanase. He beats one, beats two, he’s on the edge of the box and he lashes a shot at the Manchester goal…

3a9119ada8315f1fda4dde0205dc5bf4.png

SAVED

De Gea holds as Slavia have their first meaningful attack of the match.

24th Minute
Bailly’s clearance is picked up by Congo, he immediately lumps it forward to Krejcik who holds it up. He unlocks  Katsarski on the right wing, the 17 year old dances past Shaw with a blaze of skill and sends it towards the back post. Tanase leaps over Goldaniga, heads it back to Krejcik who has the ball just outside the six yard box. IS THIS IT?!

afe0c7da846a9e74034871f369a4a9b7.png

BLOCKED
Goldaniga throws himself at the ball, it deflects off him and whistles past the bottom left post, De Gea saved by the incredible defence as Slavia had him lost at sea.
The Bulgarians are putting on a show and Manchester look to be in trouble…

37th Minute

Slavia fend off a Manchester United corner and break out the left hand side. Mendyl plays it to Tanase but a horrific first touch has Lirola retrieving the ball. He switches flanks to Martial, Martial burns past Nikolov, he surges into the box. IT’S 1 vs 1!

6754ab0af9e746d6f1fe5fb4dcea8d33.png

GOAL MANCHESTER UNITED

1-0

Half Time

Manchester Lead, profiting from Slavia wasting a massive chance earlier in the game. Can the Bulgarians come back?

52nd Minute

A short free kick taken by Manchester United. Maatmaan plays it to N'zonzi, N'zonzi to Pogba. THREADS A BALL THROUGH THE SLAVIA DEFENCE AND RASHFORD IS THROUGH!!!

e5b8220f7237f664f5fd5f35b89e4059.png

293f68f827b693b0323d0b6835581cb2.png

GOAL MANCHESTER UNITED

2-0

Out of Nowhere, a moment of magic by the Frenchman and the Bulgarians are looking down and out. Can they find a way back into the game?

60th Minute

Double Sub for the Bulgarians

Feibas and Yoskov enter the game from the bench, Price playing his hand...

On 9/1/2017 at 02:40, noikeee said:

I had completely missed that you were in the CL final the first time around. So you just kept everyone on a cliffhanger for a month? :D

Go get 'em.

What better way to build suspense than to hit them when they've forgotten completely ;) 

(Or my motivation was completely shattered haha) 

75th Minute

Corner for Slavia. Their fans are on their feet, spurring the team on. Feibas swings it in, deflects off the head of Hristov, CONGO AT THE BACKPOST!

GOAL SLAVIA SOFIA!

310307a827aab36362b0ae17fcda4e18.png

Out of nowhere, the Bulgarians are back into the game and new life has been breathed into them as Price screams encouragement from the bench. Can they fight their way to yet another stunning upset?

84th Minute

Congo beats Rashford in the air, the header falls to Shaw but a poor first touch sees Yoskov retaking control of possession. Popov to Krejcik who lays a pass to Tanase, intercepted by Lirola. He clears down the left hand line but Popov picks it up, he floats a magnificent first time cross to the backhand post…

VOLLEY BY TANASE!

9629193b7c6edf5de0d5648af1e9c19d.png

CRACKS THE CROSSBAR, THE GOAL AND THE STADIUM ARE SHAKING!!!

Slavia are swarming the Manchester defence, the goal feels like it's coming any second...

87th Minute

Febas to Mendyl, Mendyl to Takahashi. He plays it into Yoskov, Yoskov turns, he looks out wide to Popov, Shaw sticks his leg out but Krejcik pounces on his mistake, a routine clearance has now become a One V One as he surges into the box…

38533c19b3924602a9457c720fb2e87b.png

SAVED, DE GEA PARRIES IT OUT FOR A CORNER

PRICE HAS HIS HEAD IN HIS HANDS!

It’s a freekick, Slavia flood the box as Feibas swings it in…

De Gea roars off his line and claims it from Congo

FULL TIME

That’s it! Manchester Escape Instanbul after a flurry of late chances. Slavia lies defeated on the ground and you can’t help but wonder… Will they ever be here again?

9047f0833d93b9523586e7116aac6f0a.png

Those Clear Cut Chances... Such a hard result to take. I'm happy in that I expected us to be well-beaten, but we got very, very close and for that reason I'm quite sad.

Shame this save bugged out, I was ready for another CL Campaign

But Slavia was incredibly fun, take a bow Bulgaria

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

Archived