The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that will do lads, good performance icon14.gif

one defensive lapse cost though, have to watch that doesn't happen in Belgrade - thought JCD was probably our best player icon_cool.gif

although Beasley would be mentioned as he got the breakthrough goal and looked lively, Boyd's workrate was quite good as well

A bit skewed mate, no? The day I start caring more about the idiots in the terraces than the football being played on the pitch, is the day I get I get Chick Young's job. Its an attitude that happily perpetuates the problems.

Played some really nice stuff in that first fifteen minutes of the second half, should have been 2 or 3 up. Killie's (very well worked) goal seemed to knock the stuffing out of us a bit, but the fact we went on to win the game says much about our mentality currently. Wouldn't have happened this time last year.

Don't think Cousin and Boyd will work together greatly, simply not enough movement between the pair of them. Whitakker has settled in well, very direct, which I like. Despite his goal, Beasley did little today to improve my opinion of him. Plays the simple ball back too often for a winger, far too tentative and wasteful. JCD's where it's at.

Walter will be happy seeing JCD's strength as well if he wants to play the one upfront game, Whittaker is definitely making a difference though icon14.gif I know Baz can play the more direct role but as much as I like Hemdani, Whittaker is providing more of an attacking threat and we look better for it

Guest sav112

Thomson looking lively as well, him and Baz will work well this season. Hutton and Whittaker looking good as well.

Waiting to see Young Fleck the best young player in Scotland so it seems by some way from what I’ve heard.

One thing Cousin did though was the drag the defender forward, which will work in some situations. Threat was much greater having said that when JCD comes on and he isn't even fit yet.

I'd agree Whittaker is making a difference, Hutton also did well. The only player I really worry about is Beasley who simply isn't cutting it as a winger.

It is early days, there are times when, for whatever reason, the side seems to drop out of games for spells but that will sort itself out over the course. If we come through Tuesday unbeaten then I might start to be thinking we can mibbe win the League Cup this season icon_wink.gif

Not that I'm one for advocating taking a leaf out of Celtic's book, but the one area we have to look to improve and take more from is attacking set pieces. Have alot of big lads in there for corners and wide free kicks not being capitalised upon enough. Beasley and Ferguson particularly both wasted a number of opportunities today.

Yeah, JCD had his best game so far - was superb!

I think he suffered in his earlier games from a lack of support up front. He did a lot of unrewarded hard work which the subs took advantage of when they replaced him.

Today I thought we did pretty well. Not as effective as other games but we looked pretty comfortable for the most part. Second half we played some lovely stuff and our reaction to conceding the goal against the run of play was a good sign.

A difficult task on Tuesday but one we can go into with a fair amount of confidence.

PS: Nothing wrong with Derry's Walls and the Sash without the add-ons, Coo. There were no add-ons today and for that we need not worry about pathetic attempts of complaint from people who have nothing better to do but take faux offence at nothing.

JCD and Cousin look like a pair.

JCD takes the ball into feet like Micheal Mols pre-injury and Cousin looks like a very elegant player, quick, can bring others into play well, great touch and drives forward.

DaMarcus played well yesterday i thought, he battled well for a little guy.

I think yesterday showed for me that Boyd is not good enough for us, everytime he got the ball play broke down for us and we jst can't afford that to happen, maybe we can use him at Ibrox in SPL games against the diddy teams, but away from home when we wil have tough games he is a liability, we now have players scoring goals from all over the park so we are not relying on him like we were.

If we do buy Naismith as expected if we qualify for the CL, i reckon it'll be curtains for Boyd, for the short term at least (JCD and Cousin both have about 2-3 years left).

I doubt we'll see the likes of Adam and Burke play for us again such is the quality we've brough in on both flanks, and thank goodness for that!

I think if fans of the other teams hate our fans songs so much, then they should ban us from thier grounds and do without a few thousand ppl paying £25 a pop twice a year, unless of course they are actually just greeting whores?

Sorry guys, i know you may have a point on occasion, but it is nothing like it was 10 years ago, so if you are really that annoyed, put up or shut up pls.

Originally posted by Vidmar14:

I think if fans of the other teams hate our fans songs so much, then they should ban us from thier grounds and do without a few thousand ppl paying £25 a pop twice a year, unless of course they are actually just greeting whores?

Sorry guys, i know you may have a point on occasion, but it is nothing like it was 10 years ago, so if you are really that annoyed, put up or shut up pls.

You know and I know it has little to do with annoyance or offence. Some of the 'banter' I've heard plenty at Tannadice / Pittodrie / Tynecastle / take your pick suggests your average football fan is not an easily offended soul. Much more to do with a wonderful opportunity for one-up-manship against a club whose size and success on the park over the years has bred contempt. That and the fact your average tabloid hack, oh, moral crusader would much rather stoke the charred cinders of sectarianism than actually do their job and write about a football match.

Well said lads...

As an addition at least the Rangers supporters readily admit we have a problem and are working hard to eradicate it.

Other teams - well, despite their claims, I'm not so sure they're willing to be so candid nor constructive about their own problems with 'discriminatory' chants.

The whole charade is beyond tedious.

But then what would they have to write about? The hypocrisy of the Scottish media is in the fact that they themselves have fueled the fires of sectarianism for decades. They used it to make money and if anyone is guilty of anything in this country then the finger has to be well and truly pointed at those masquerading as journalists.

Of course, the things should never have gotten to be what it was but what needs to be remembered is that sectarianism existed in this country long before football was ever though of, even if it did not have the fancy name. Of course that does not make it right - it isn't right, there is no place in football for such an attitude but although there still is, probably will be for many years, an element within the Rangers support who feel it is their right to sing about - and I think this is what particularly offends the beaks at UEFA - having sex with an old man in a pointy hat, whom himself is a total anachronism in the modern world, nevertheless there does seem for the first time to be sea change in the general attitude at Ibrox and rather than trying to pick fault, the club should be being praised. It might be thirty odd years too late, but its better late than never.

Its the hypocrisy in both the media, and amongst other sets of supports - who of course were more than happy to sing 'the wrong kinds of songs' depending on which half of the OF was visiting - that really gets up my nose.

I was at an Old Firm reserve match some years ago, and I think it was Tony Mowbray, some 'fans' at the front of the Govan were giving him laldy over I think it was his wife had died from cancer? (Either that or he himself had something wrong). Whatever, personally I find that kind of abuse far more offensive than singing about the bloke in a dress, whom I seriously doubt has ever seen a Rangers game.

I wonder if there is the slightest chance that Smith will be positive and play 2 up front tomorrow thereby trying to win the game and not playing 4-5-1 and trying not to lose?

No, I dont think there is either!

This is a huge game in the team's season with so much money resting on it- lets hope that its not a backs to the wall 90 minutes of nail biting -an early goal would be good!

if we can get an early goal, it shuts up hostile fans, makes it so much more comfortable and should *probably* put us through

there is no way we are going to attack though, remember this is Walter

He'll play one up I'd expect. I can't ever remember Walter going to an away game in Europe and playing attacking football it's just not his way. Safe, steady football and if we snatch a goal fine but if we don't lose one we're through. Might not be the most exciting, but if it's effective who amongst us will complain?

Of course, he might take a fit and play a on old fashioned five man forward line icon_wink.gif

• SI Staff

Massive night for me personally. Going to watch the first half then got to head off for our league decider in our Summer League where we just need a draw and depending on the match before us might have won it anyway.

Be taping the second half to watch when I get back.

Mon the Gers!

• SI Staff

Hopefully Hemdani will stay. He's a very very good player and if we sell him on the cheap it's nothing short of shocking.

You see Celtic selling players like Beattie for over £1m and we're paying people off. I can't believe we freed Rodriguez last year then he got in the France team. And Ian Murray is another one. No way should he have gone for nothing.

If Hemdani goes then I guarantee you that Gravesen will go for more than Hemdani. Makes you wonder what goes on.

surely the biggest game of the season tonight, the Champions League 3rd Round Qualifer 2nd Leg Vs Red Star (or Crvena Zvezda)

Rangers team: (4-5-1)

McGregor, Hutton, Weir, Cuellar, Papac

Hemdani, Whittaker, Thomson, Ferguson McCulloch, Darcheville

Subs: Subs: Carroll, Boyd, Novo, Beasley, Webster, Broadfoot and Cousin (I think)

the Champions League dreams on the line tonight, this is the big one icon_mad.gif not a surprise the formation picked tbh or the personnel, I just hope we don't go there to defend the 1-0 lead

Live on Setanta Sports 1 at 7, mon ffs

4-4-2 should have been the preference, go for the early goal and if you get it, it calms the game/atmosphere down and puts us well in the driving seat - early goal pretty much kills the game actually

I can just see us sitting back and inviting them to pressure

oh pish off, got to listen to his fat Celtic supporting arse for the next 90 mins+ icon14.gif

lets hope that Red Star don't have a FK taker or he'll be blowing his fat off like he does over Nakamura

Red Star have come close a few times, it's kinda hard for us to create with one up. One thing that kinda fecks me off though is we pose little to no threat from free kicks/corners and that needs to improve over the season.

Obviously, I'd like us to score and virtually settle the match and save us all from having a nervous breakdown but if it comes the end of the game and it's the same score it will do.

Archived