[FM 17] If You’re Not First, You’re Last Redux – Redemption For The “Nearly Men” Of Europe

ManUtd1

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the secret to good self-esteem is to lower your expectations to the point where they’re already met?

leipzig-turkey.thumb.png.7152626659315a73fe9647086ff975dd.png

RB Leipzig / Turkey

September 2081 Mini-Update

After a summer of madness -- both literal and figurative -- it has been nice to get the lads back on the pitch.  And winning.

Not just winning, but winning with some flair.  This side was brimming with talent.  I've sliced and diced, and added my own mix of talent.  We're immense.  We've yet to give up a goal.

This is going to be a good year.  Oh, yes, Hobbes.  A good year.

a94749b63818d5598b3a041e0fd920a2.png

fd57cba3b87183282e869509b44518dd.png

632f0625b0e7d6f04ed63af44068ef14.jpg

385e34ab2944ffbe7733bc380f440006.jpg c92e924635f32b6be30299767ebaae78.jpg

49fb6388846b9f12914627a1f7efbdef.png

10 hours ago, raz4la said:

I want to go though every page of this save, but I don't think I'm man enough for it. So. Much. Text.

1 hour ago, Adonalsium said:

There's probably like... a novel and a half in this thread. Not even kidding. 

Pay attention, there may be a quiz at the end.  

giphy.gif

Kidding aside, it is a little insane.  In the diagnosable sense.  With the exception of 2 weeks when I've been off on vacation, and about a month of during a much-needed break from FM this past Fall, this save has been running strong for 13+ months now, with the narrative bouncing from one escapade to the next.  It is far and away the longest save I've ever played, no matter how you count it. 

The best part?  I've got the final narrative entries written, and have had them planned for a while.  :idiot:

I mean, it'd probably be perfectly possible to distil and rework the posts into an actual book. A good one at that.

Of course, Hakan would be spinning in his grave, it'd have to be something just a tad more zany, like a manga graphic novel.....

1 minute ago, BoxToBox said:

I mean, it'd probably be perfectly possible to distil and rework the posts into an actual book. A good one at that.

Of course, Hakan would be spinning in his grave, it'd have to be something just a tad more zany, like a manga graphic novel.....

With sound effects.

And an accompanying a concept album by 30 Seconds to Mars (of course), featuring collaborations with Radiohead, Bono and Taylor Swift.  I'm imagining a crescendo of rocking guitars and screaming vocals... "Mancini's gonna hate hate hate, that Leeds is really great great great..."

1 minute ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

Maybe Hakan's life could hit the big screen. And then a long anticipated sequel film could be brought out about Vikander a year or two later.

Guy Ritchie's Malmen: Game of Shadows chronicling the rise of Malmo was pretty epic, with Emma cast as Apples and the ensuing chaos that erupted.

3 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Oh, crap, it'd have to be a pop up manga, with each track to coincide with a page of the book.

I didn't realize that was a thing, and am equal parts concerned and intrigued.

16 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

If it's not yet a thing, more the better, inverting the manga.

The cover would have to be the depiction of Hakan fighting the Chained Wolf, while wearing his grapefruit-flavored hot pants.

IMG-20170715-WA0003.thumb.jpg.f2083e10810912e40d5f747fd8f4ce44.jpg

(This is merely a reproduction, of course.  The original life-sized mural can be found in Pope Bob's cave in Turkey.)

I'm one quarter Swedish, so felt honor-bound to find him...

20180106_133203.thumb.png.f706c754ce7df0374e2ebb0c6b472a1c.png

To be fair, I had to zoom in and spent far too much time double-checking the bottom right-hand corner... Suffice to say, this thread now has everything.

Edited by ManUtd1

2 minutes ago, Adonalsium said:

Ibra should've been a barely visible (as in fading) face in the sky, looking down at his subjects. 

The entire nation having #DaredToZlatan.

Kidding aside, that photo is awesome. I miss managing in Sweden...

Edited by ManUtd1

Not only that, but just maybe we could see the longest save in terms of years on this save. As 63 years have to be right up there on the list.

There could be the possibly that we are seeing a world record in terms of time played. 

A smoke grenade, a gas mask, and a helicopter……. that’s all I ask.

RB Leipzig / Turkey

October 2081 Mini-Update

Complete control.  Domestically, and with the Turks. 

The bad news?  Gustav's lads managed to put one past Die Roten Bullen, the first we've given up in competitive play this season.  The good news?  We scored 2 of our own and took all 3 points.

But I've backslid somewhat...there's this young Swede...Sociedad lad, on loan at Malmo.  Only a little more than $20M.  The Chairman is fully in support of it.

I don't need another signing.  But there's a part of me -- a part of me I've come to fear -- that wants another signing.

7322d05f7828a433b8564ee0c22be439.png

70a6ae8877ab282dbd848d0c6dc44a76.jpg

74a9755b7079b0d12ce4d00d53f1f426.jpg ed3aeeb06e19c5cda25f29e0af0e2340.jpg

d2939ef1fc19f76fe60096b370f453ab.png

1 minute ago, HawkAussie said:

Not only that, but just maybe we could see the longest save in terms of years on this save. As 63 years have to be right up there on the list.

There could be the possibly that we are seeing a world record in terms of time played. 

Naw, there's no way I'll come close to that kind of record (nor do I want to).  Much of the "time played" is in the background, too, idling :lol:

Edited by ManUtd1

All these trips to watch Velez turn out for Malmo...the Gamla Ullevi, Ibrahimovic Park in Malmo...even Elfsborg's aging 63,755-seater had a strong appeal to it.

Being back in Sweden has never felt more "right."  Even as I'm whisked back to the airport at the final whistle...

The secret to happiness is short-term, stupid self-interest!

RB Leipzig / Turkey

November 2081 Mini-Update

Brought back down to Earth by our first loss of the season.  Utter garbage, losing to Hoffenheim of all sides.

I threatened to sequester the squad until they regained focus -- no wives, girlfriends or XBox1080 until we got things back on track.

They knew the look in my eye.  They knew not to mess with me.  It's the same look I would get when reading the latest scouting reports regarding Igor Velez.  Dead serious.  No mucking about.  Don't **** with me.

We're back on track.  And Velez joins in January, from Sociedad by way of Malmo...  It's almost poetic, isn't it?

With qualification secured, the Turks went off the boil against Kazakhstan.  3 points are 3 points, blah blah blah.  The key part for me was that we only gave up 1 goal in 8 qualifying matches, 4 goals in 14 on the year.  2 of those came in our Nations League semifinal loss to Germany, so there's no real shame in that.  We're are force to be reckoned with, and ready to assault South Korea in just 7 months' time.  The draw next month will be critical.

d83f1d980e1d060c9d6179085071bad8.jpg

38a0d8dd452adffce3ab2d4c5ceead0e.jpg

a8f90b01ddac1b77f1f9b09185a85fb0.jpg 8abc2aadffcc64b4e5faf4e3004ca768.jpg

774fe53db0907b6f1208189f9ab37de0.png

db912303f98e43dfba3ebe3d69063df2.png 03a2954ef13e7ffbb11177f94ef095c9.jpg d84d2429e2b588aa2b2ac6e042de76d1.png 4a82ae8c6c0ce119fb1d0e2e35b81c2b.png

The big question for the draw was who we would pull from Pot 4.  The likes of Austria or Switzerland?  Germany?  Italy?  There was a whole spectrum.

In the end, we drew England from Pot 4, following Iran and Chile.  All told, it is a straightforward Group that we should win.

The biggest challenge may be the 2nd Round, where (if we advance) we'd face a side from Group H...which includes Germany and Spain.

ff657b401be281d29e4c9c3e4ed0982e.jpg 

dfda1228ed92495920aa033eee14a785.png 

6e330e1d6718d875319e623d0484c9f4.png 

I must say, the stinging snow makes your cheeks look positively radiant.

RB Leipzig / Turkey

December 2081 Mini-Update

A triumphant end to the calendar year.  8 points clear, top of the Group in the Europa League.  We're on a roll.  The squad has gelled nicely, and we've got every reason to be optimistic.

I'm ready to settle in at the house for a quiet night, with Hobbes, a glass of wine and the It's Always Sunny Season 8 DVDs.  But the Chairman has asked to see me.

Pants back on, I guess.  I whistle to Hobbes.  Go for a ride?!  Get in the car?!

It's like Christmas for him, yeah?  He doesn't care if it's cold and snowing, the window must be down.  Who am I to fight it?  Just zip up the jacket.

After all, the sooner we get there, the sooner we can get back to the Gang and their antics.

2587e5fbf6ff329c2a6100214a1a9457.png

1c6f559a60b805fdea4da75dfccd5873.jpg

de587194696742a7d59c611a50d73c31.jpg

Edited by ManUtd1

FADE IN

[Exterior, stylish office building adjacent to a massive stadium.  Night.  Snow is falling gently on the quiet city.]

[A luxury Trabant pulls into the lot, with Robbie Robb's "In Time" blaring from the high-end stereo inside.  The driver rolls up the windows before killing the engine and stepping outside, whistling softly.  A golden retriever leaps out and begins to cavort in the freshly-fallen snow, leaping and prancing about, burying his head in a drift to search for...squirrels, perhaps.  After a few minutes' indulgence, the two head inside.]

STAR WIPE

[Interior, stylish office building.  A disheveled, tired-looking secretary sits behind a desk, guarding the closed door behind her.  From behind the door, muffled voices can be heard.  The man from the car sits patiently on a leather couch, the dog sitting placidly at his feet wondering if there might be treats somewhere nearby.  The dog begins to drool.]

"Don't worry, Mr. Vikander.  I'm sure the Chairman will be ready to see you soon," the secretary notes, looking worriedly over her shoulder.

"It's ok, Frau Geisler," responds Vikander, nodding ever so slightly.  "I'm sure whatever he's doing is important."  Hobbes sits patiently, knowing that treats come to those who are patient.

Frau Geisler checks over her shoulder again, as the voices behind the door become more urgent, a nasty tone discernible even from outside the room.

Suddenly, one voice rises above the others.  Begging.  Pleading.  For what, neither Ms. Geisler nor Mr. Vikander can say.  Hobbes is sure that a squirrel has been found in their midst, and begins to growl softly.  

The voice turns to a blood-curdling scream.  Frau Geisler turns on the radio.  Kraftwerk's "The Robots" begins to play.  Vikander refuses to read anything into the situation, as this is far from the first time that odd things have happened at the Chairman's office.  Hobbes wags his tail, reassured by his master's calm demeanor, and confident that the squirrel has been vanquished...treats must be coming, at any time now.  The drooling intensifies.

A strange hum begins.  Low at first, growing in volume.  The glasses on the table begin to shake.  The scream crescendoes.  Frau Geisler turns the radio louder, as it switches to David Hasselhoff's "True Survivor." 

Distracted by the song, Vikander at first doesn't hear Frau Geisler.

"Herr Dörfel will see you now, Mr. Vikander."  

The door to the Chairman's office is open, a pungent odor that Vikander cannot place wafting from within. 

Vikander rises, Hobbes joining him as the walk inside.  Vikander knows that the scene inside will be inexplicably bizarre.

Sure enough, as he enters, he catches a brief glimpse of a man being wheeled out of the double-doors at the back, strapped to a table being pushed by men in lab coats and...were those security guards carrying guns?  And what is that smell?  That man looked oddly familiar...didn't he?

The Chairman greets Vikander enthusiastically, a warm embrace.  The Chairman's exuberance cannot mask the smell.  Of burning, perhaps?  Vikander notices a strange stain on the carpet, but not before one of the Chairman's ever-present, sleekly-dressed assistants steps quickly in front of itit, hiding it from Vikander's view.

The stylish assistant gazes placidly at Vikander, looking him in the eyes.  Emotionless.  Cold.

"Gunnar, my junge," intones the Chairman.  "A very happy Christmas to you and Meester Hobberses, it is, yes?"

Gunnar nods.  Confused.  Hobbes, realizing that the Chairman has said something approximating his name, runs over for nuzzle and, with any luck, a treat.  Jelly beans are the best treats, they are.  Every good doggie knows this.

The Chairman continues.  "I have ze getting of a present, you see.  Negotiations have just finished.  Present not here yet, but now will be coming very...ehh...schnell.  Fast!"

Gunnar nods.  The Chairman's gifts are typically extravagant and rather unnecessary.  The Chairman continues.

"I know you like the Brazilians, yes...so I be getting you one of the best.  Very young.  Firm."

Vikander winces internally.  This would be far from the first time that the Chairman has bought him a "prezzie."   Typically Eastern European, though...and in the past Vikander has made clear to the Chairman that he does not want that kind of "present."

Sending Vikander's discomfort, Hobbes whines softly, returning to his side.  The Chairman looks down and begins to laugh. 

"Nein, nein, nein, nein...silly doggy...not that kind of present.  Better present.  For you, Mr. Hobberses, big bag of jelly beans."

At this, one of the stylish assistants wheels in an 80-kilo bag of jelly beans.  

"Fresh from ze factory, yes?!  Only the best for Mr. Hobberses.  Hilda, please load them into Mr. Gunnar's car."  

Hobbes lets out a loof woof, as the beans are wheeled away.  The drooling intensifies.

Turning back to Vikander, a twinkle in his eye, the Chairman continues.

"For you, Mr. Gunnar, like I say, the Brazilian.  Goalkeeper.  Only the best.  You said you likeded this man, so he is for you.  For the Christmassing."

Vikander thinks back.  Yes, he had expressed his admiration for a young Brazilian goalkeeper just weeks ago, but had also been clear at the time -- there was no need for improvement, as Eduardo was a solid first-team player, with tremendous potential in younsters Santi Gracia and Daouda Kouame.

"Mr. Gunnar, no look sad.  I go to great lengths to get deal to bring zis Vitor to you.  Tonight, he come by Hubschrauber from Brazil.  Tonight.  Hubschrauber...zis is, how you say, helicoppingter, yes?  Yes.  Helicoppingter."

Vikander nods.  He knows not to interrupt.  He knows better than to ask how a helicopter can reach Germany from Brazil.  More importantly, Vikander knows he wasn't in need of another goalkeeper.  But this kid is a world-beater, albeit one with an absolute **** of an agent.  A real money-grabbing son of a --

Vikander stops.  He realizes that the man he'd seen strapped to the table...was that?  No.  It couldn't have been Xavier's agent, could it...?

Better not ask questions.  Asking questions is frowned upon by Dörfel and his "associates."  

A broad smile splashes across Vikander's face.  He reaches for the Chairman's hand, grasping it warmly.  "Thank you, sir.  I  must say, this might just be the best Christmas ever."

A coldness flashes through Dörfel's eyes, ever so briefly, before the warmth is reciprocated.  "Yes, yes...now, before we go back to the work, perhaps Hilda can bring in ze next prezzies I have bought, for the you!!!"

FADE OUT

Edited by ManUtd1

3 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

Or, perhaps their chief competitor...  RAFO. :lol:

These two things often go hand in hand in the corporate world - or so I've been told. He was pretty convincing too, the guards told me they could hear him through the wall. And that room was soundproofed!

Edited by Adonalsium

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

8d2a215bfd77164aac0c184bd475dbd2.jpg 

846ee9d400d7621c76da9a3a34a7f7af.jpg 9a6da6dfc48df61b2b0ee82fc061d9ce.jpg 

Velez and Vitor...reinforcements and promise for the future.  Very pleased with both signings, even though neither was necessary in any real sense of the word.

Oostende let Christophe's contract run down.  Silly buggers. 

a85603339b69f3f2bc5e9238cd03ddad.jpg 

Do we need him?  No.  Did I want to get him as a gift to the Chairman?  Absolutely.  After all, what do you get the man who has everything?  A young Belgian, that's what.

They say the first step is admitting you have a problem. 

Me?  I admit nothing. 

The Chairman claims he likes that about me, and played a substantial role in his decision to bring me in on Project Arcturus.

1 minute ago, ManUtd1 said:

It is an incredible one, that's for sure.  Easily one of the best.

I fell off the jungle gym and when I woke I was in here...

"Ever see a guy say goodbye to a shoe?"

"Yes, once..."

:lol:

Do you believe in the devil? You know, a supreme evil being dedicated to the temptation, corruption, and destruction of man?

RB Leipzig / Turkey

February 2082 Mini-Update

Project Arcturus is...more expansive than I had anticipated.  I thought, a feeder club here, an academy there...but, as it is written...  That's a tad ambitious.  The guy giving the presentation was rather persuasive, though...  His eye-patch was a little intimidating, as was his companion, Peaches Imfurst.  Then again, she was equal parts intimidating and stunning...a dangerous combination.

The un-named man and Peaches implied they have plans for me, slapping me on the back and laughing wickedly under the watchful gaze of my Chairman.  Something tells me a night of parcheesi with Hobbes isn't quite what they have in mind.

On the pitch, we've remained in top form, claiming a 14-point lead over Gustav's Leverkusen with 10 matches to play.  A massive 2-1 away win, after seeing off a determined Bilbao in the Europa League, has the pundits claiming that the Bundesliga is ours.  We cannot rest on our laurels, though.  Barcelona is up next in Europe -- a side that we need not fear.  Frankly, it'd be nice if they'd just shut it about their history.  The glory days are long over, gentlemen.  What have you done lately, eh?  I don't see you, plotting world domina--

Nevermind.  I've said too much.

04d3806ea9bf2ddeb7e3c821d603d271.jpg

caa996e7f7472ae14c10fd7cd063178b.jpg 008d3722cf4120dbccad8ec7817b38e2.jpg 6e5707e8af7582e765410e35864ee32d.jpg

07a1d86feb2119586cc9e7e8c9c3518c.jpg