Euro 2016 - Zlatan's international bow :( (Appreciation thread)

Baptista_8

euro-2016-playoff-ibrahimovic.jpg

What a legend. Last night, against Belgium at Euro 2016, he played his last international game in a major tournament, and the last game of his international career. Sweden crashed out of the group stage with a 1-0 defeat, picking up just 1 point in 3 games.

He amassed a total of 116 caps and 62 goals for Sweden.

He is Sweden's only player to score in three consecutive European Championships (2004, 2008 and 2012), with 6 goals (VS Bulgaria, Italy, Greece, Spain, Ukraine and France) coming across those. This should have been 7 goals across 4 tournaments last night, adding Euro 2016 to the list, but at 0-0, his goal was ruled out with a very strange decision.

During his career, he played at 4 European Championships (2004, 2008, 2012 and 2016) and 2 World Cups (2002 and 2006).

Like whom?

Is that a serious question? Henrik Larsson leaps straight off the page in my mind, and Sweden have had loads of players in top European leagues for most of Zlatan's career.

Reality is, his competitive (World Cup + Euros) scoring record is nowhere near good enough for a player of his immense talent.

Reality is, his competitive (World Cup + Euros) scoring record is nowhere near good enough for a player of his immense talent.

6 goals and 2 assists in 13 Euros appearances, so can't argue with that at all.

0 in 5 apps at World Cups, however he has only played an average of 50 minutes per game.

Ibrahimović's career with Sweden spanned 16 years if I read the data correctly. One player can't do it alone to lift the team. His teammates should have the required class as well, from under the bar to up front.

In those 16 years, Larsson and Allbäck were of quality, but they played up front. Isaksson has been a solid goalie for years. In front of him, only Mellberg was great. In the midfield, there was Ljungberg. Svensson and Källström had/has been the motor for years.

While Ibrahimović was on his peak years, there weren't enough players who were also on the road to the best years in their career.

Ibrahimović's career with Sweden spanned 16 years if I read the data correctly. One player can't do it alone to lift the team. His teammates should have the required class as well, from under the bar to up front.

In those 16 years, Larsson and Allbäck were of quality, but they played up front. Isaksson has been a solid goalie for years. In front of him, only Mellberg was great. In the midfield, there was Ljungberg. Svensson and Källström had/has been the motor for years.

While Ibrahimović was on his peak years, there weren't enough players who were also on the road to the best years in their career.

Yet in 3 games Gareth Bale is half way to his career tournament goals with far worse players

Is that a serious question? Henrik Larsson leaps straight off the page in my mind[...]
He was responding to Barry Cartman saying Sweden had lots of "great players". If you seriously think Henrik Larsson was a "great player" at the international level you are out of your mind. In the Scottish Premier League he'd probably be up there though.

I'm not sure I'd call Ibrahimovic "great" in a historical sense but he was certainly entertaining, one way or the other.

He's probably without a doubt for the last few years for the Swedish national team being best by the farthest margin to the 2nd best player in the team. But he very rarely made Sweden more than marginally better than we would be without him. The exceptions to this were more frequent in later years though. The other nine outfielders are not good enough to cover for Zlatan's non-existent workrate when we play clearly superior teams. In Euro 2016, there were numerous times he got caught offside because he didn't get himself onside after the last attack and also many times the teammates couldn't pass him because he was STILL offside. In the games with the national team where I've seen metres covered stats, Zlatan is more often than not the outfield players with the least amount of metres, and that "title" almost invariably goes to a central defender for regular teams.

They usually get worse with Zlatan on the field, taking a step back and pass to Zlatan and hope he will do something. It worked rather well when we played inferior (to Sweden) opposition where Zlatan usually scored frequently. It hardly helped that the national team manager since 2009 let Zlatan play like he wanted himself, rather than how he would best aid the team. It is although a bit unfair to put Sweden's heavy decline on our offensive woes and putting the blame on Zlatan. The real difference with last 5-6 years compared to the early 2000s is that now our defence is marginally better than our Mickey Mouse domestic league while in the early 2000s we had a world class defence as a unit (and quite good defenders as individuals as well).

Results-wise, I would say of our offensive players, Henrik Larsson and Fredrik Ljungberg had a much greater positive impact on Sweden's fortunes.

Given the change of the national team manager and the surprising lack of impact Ibrahimovic has had on Sweden's results, we're probably be about as bad in the future as we have been the last few years.

Up until qualifying for the World Cup 2014, Zlatan's goalscoring impact in qualifying was basically non-existent vs quality opposition, one qualifying goal vs a top-three finisher in the qualifying group and that was a 3-0 goal vs Bulgaria. We got better results (points-wise) vs similar opposition when Zlatan was suspended/refused to play for the national team in the 08(?) qualifying and Allbäck was starting instead.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic is a great player, but there are a lot of arguments he was NOT that great a player FOR the national team.

He was responding to Barry Cartman saying Sweden had lots of "great players". If you seriously think Henrik Larsson was a "great player" at the international level you are out of your mind. In the Scottish Premier League he'd probably be up there though.

I'm not sure I'd call Ibrahimovic "great" in a historical sense but he was certainly entertaining, one way or the other.

At the point in which Ibrahimovic was playing for Juventus, Larsson was winning the Champions League for Barcelona. Even Henry acknowledged that. I think Larsson contributed more for Sweden than Zlatan did.

Archived