Why did I concede so many goals with this tactic?

VP2XNjN.png

With this tactic, I played 2 teams that used basic 4-4-2 formations, in the EL. Against one opponent, I conceded 4 in the first game. Against the other, I conceded 3 in the first, then 5 in the other. I only narrowly lost though, thanks to the effectiveness of my attack. Note that my defenders are sometimes set to CD and BPD. The striker may be a CF (S), as well. But my main problem is the defensive troubles in Europe. Is there a glaring issue with this tactic? Tempo is set to Lower, Roam from Position and Play out of Defense are active. I later tried with Be More Disciplined and Much Lower Tempo.

I conceded a fair amount of long distance shots, while my GK (Warner Hahn, brought in a month before this game took place to replace a severely injured number 1) failed to properly save a shot, which ended up as an OG. Is it just my players who were pish, or...?

Even though your FB right is on support the major weaknesses of this formation are the gaps on the sides. With the overpowered fullbacks and crossing it will carve you up every time. I had this sort of tactic up to premiership level, then it became useless. So it works on lower levels.

Better try and balance things with a 4-4-2. And work with the roles and instructions that you think fit your players. It worked for me...

Even though your FB right is on support the major weaknesses of this formation are the gaps on the sides. With the overpowered fullbacks and crossing it will carve you up every time. I had this sort of tactic up to premiership level, then it became useless. So it works on lower levels.

Better try and balance things with a 4-4-2. And work with the roles and instructions that you think fit your players. It worked for me...

The thing is, this tactic fits the players I have. Some first choices were not available, though. Is there a way to make the tactic improve?

A coulpe things you can try, that i believe will give more balance to your tactic:

1) chance the combo MC(a)-MC(d) to MC(d)-MC(a) so that the MC(d) plays on the same side of your WB(a).

2) Don't know if the W(a) on yout right side is the best option, because it's the type of player that manly crosses to the area, and you don't have players in there. DLF will drop deep and the AP(s) and CM(a) arrive late. Perhaps change the W(a) to a IF(a) or even a Raum.

3) The Regista could be a little too agressive in that position, manly because you have a very attacking WB. Perhaps changing to a DLP(d) or DLP(s).

A coulpe things you can try, that i believe will give more balance to your tactic:

1) chance the combo MC(a)-MC(d) to MC(d)-MC(a) so that the MC(d) plays on the same side of your WB(a).

2) Don't know if the W(a) on yout right side is the best option, because it's the type of player that manly crosses to the area, and you don't have players in there. DLF will drop deep and the AP(s) and CM(a) arrive late. Perhaps change the W(a) to a IF(a) or even a Raum.

3) The Regista could be a little too agressive in that position, manly because you have a very attacking WB. Perhaps changing to a DLP(d) or DLP(s).

The W (a) is scoring loads. (In fact, the wing back ends up crossing to the winger. It's devastating.) The DLF (s) is an adaptation to get more out of a tall player who likes long balls, but a Target Man role ends up being ruinous. There's a CF (S) instead of the DLF, often, for my other strikers. I use a Regista because certain opponents do not have an AMC, and thus the player in question can go about contributing massively to attack. He has a great long shot as well. I'll see about switching the central pair.

The problem is that if you cover on the sides you'll move the danger on the middle. That CM (d) doesn't give much cover there. Maybe other people that had success with this tactic can give more help. I couldn't solve the problems completely so i changed to a more balanced tactic.

Hello there,

Try these at the same time:

- switch your CMs (defensive on the left);

- change your left back to FB-a;

- set you DLF to move into channels;

- change to fluid;

- if playing at home against a worse or equal team, play control;

- if playing at home against a better team, play normal;

- if playing away against a worse or equal team, play normal;

- if playing away against a better team, play counter;

- if playing again lone striker, use stopper-cover duo.

- keep an eye on the shot count - if having too many, but too few on goal, use WBIB.

I use somewhat similiar tactic, and yes, it's very risky in terms of using WB(a). You'll need more defensive work elsewhere on the pitch to compensate. I would use DM(d) or even a HB or ANC instead of RGA and changed CM roles to DLP(s) and BBM. That would give you a better defensive balance in midfield, put pressure on opponent and take some pressure away from the rest of your players.

I hope that'll help

Offtop. IMO using regista is only possible, paired with holding midfielder, unless you have a monsters of CD

I would honestly change the flanks to IF, probably on attack and put the RB and LB on attack. I would change the Regista to a DLP(D). Then, to make some space for the IF(S) i would go with a F9 up front or maybe a CF(S) with Move into Channels PI.

Honestly the roam from positions/more disciplined are pretty useless shouts, their effect can be reached by changing the shape so i would just drop them.

But most importantly, what kind of football are you trying to play?

Archived