Advanced rules FM 2016 editor - ask the experts

KUBI

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oriole, you can just use a regular group stage, then check "Randomise teams", and leave all the draw rules blank, and don't use sub-divisions.

Ak, you need to find which fixture rules those competitions use, then edit those fixture rules(they come under nation, rather than the compeition). You can find out which rules a competition or automatically generated reserve league(you can find these under nation, rather than a competition, in the "reserve leagues" section, though not all reserve leagues use this, so make sure to check, in Scotland for instance, group 1 of the U20 is a regular competition) uses by going to the compeition, and seeing what number is in the fixture rules box. For instance, if the number is 3, you need to go into fixture rules index 3 and change the desired rule(s).

On 12/11/2016 at 18:50, KUBI said:

You need to add a new fixtures rule and assign it to the reserve/youth division.

There are various options for the match squads.

17 hours ago, Dave Fairbairn said:

Ak, you need to find which fixture rules those competitions use, then edit those fixture rules(they come under nation, rather than the compeition). You can find out which rules a competition or automatically generated reserve league(you can find these under nation, rather than a competition, in the "reserve leagues" section, though not all reserve leagues use this, so make sure to check, in Scotland for instance, group 1 of the U20 is a regular competition) uses by going to the compeition, and seeing what number is in the fixture rules box. For instance, if the number is 3, you need to go into fixture rules index 3 and change the desired rule(s).

Thanks, KUBI and Dave.

Been trying the advise.  Had success for the English Under 23 Reserves League but Italian Under 20 Reserves proof tougher.  

I don't know which Rules Index to change.  Tried Rules Index #1, #3 and #5 but to no success.  

Tried to key-in the Unique ID but strangely enough, the pre-game editor couldn't recognise and filter.  :(

On 3/23/2016 at 19:39, magicmastermind124 said:

You can set your own xml id, and when you set up a competition file for a reserve division you should have the option of entering a custom xml id (by default it's hidden unless you choose the Reserve Division type in the Advanced Rules).

The custom xml files the game uses are listed as Reserve (u18 level 0) etc when you convert to Advanced Rules. There should be 4 in total.

This post is from a couple of months ago but I'm also trying to edit the (Dutch) youth leagues and this method seems easier than adding all u19s manually. I know that the custom xml file is for England, but how can I create my own youth/reserves custom xml for Holland, where are they located/saved?

Sorry for the double post, I've found out what I had to do. Basically just copy the England Reserve Rules and create the u19s competition just like a normal competition in the Advanced Rules and use Competition is Reserve, Type is 'Reserve Division', Nation is 'Holland' (because I created it in a new Holland Nation rules file) and Custom Reserve Rules XML ID the same name as the custom reserve rules XML ID like in the England -> Reserves 0 - u18s Custom XML but because I created it in the Dutch file it is named Reserves 0 - u19s Custom XML (in the Holland -> Reserve Rules).

Edit:

Also don't forget to use 'get best youth setups' and add the Nation (mine was Holland) in the league its rules -> stage 0 -> teams.

But the problem I have now is that if I change reserve rules in Nation rules then they won't change if I use 'add lower divisions to existing competitions'. So do I have to create the Nation rules from scratch if I want to change reserve rules or am I missing something else (I already have 'Edited Rules override all rules' enabled)?

Thanks @Dave Fairbairn for the previous suggestion, the competition now works perfectly in the editor and in-game. Therefore all of my division rules are complete. Unfortunately, I'm now having some unexpected issues with the main domestic cup in my nation. The editor can't seem to work it out, it's similar in structure to most domestic cups in which teams from higher divisions enter at a later round. All of it is one leg and randomly drawn with no replays. Here's the basic outline of the competition:
First Round- 128 clubs, all from the lowest division
Second Round- 64 clubs, all winners from previous round
Third Round- 64 clubs, 32 clubs added from top two divisions, 32 winners from previous round
Fourth Round- 32 clubs
Fifth Round- 16 clubs
Quarter Final- 8 clubs
Semi Final- 4 clubs
Final- 2 clubs

The editor didn't seem to have an option to specify which teams entered at the third round, so I created two separate stages, one for the first two rounds and another for the third round and onwards. I've set a fate action that qualifies the winners of the second round into the next stage or third round, and made sure the higher division teams and the lower division teams entered at the correct stages, but when testing, an error message tells me that the wrong number of teams is found for stage 1 of the FA Cup, even though I'm absolutely sure I've done the math right. So, I would really appreciate some clarity on how to do this, and whether I've done the right thing by creating two different stages. Trying to look at the English FA Cup structure to see how its done there didn't help me, as obviously most of the stuff that assigns teams to enter at the correct rounds is hard-coded and not shown in the editor. 

I've also created a "Super Cup" in the editor conducted between the winners of the previous year' top league and FA Cup, which seems to be working fine when I test it. However, is there a way to make sure that if one team wins a double that the runner-up from the previous year's league would take the FA Cup winner's place? I've read that this is done automatically by the game in previous years, but is that still true? And if the game doesn't do it right, is it possible in the editor?

I'm getting closer to finishing all the rules in my country, so hopefully there won't be too many more unexpected errors in the editor after this. As always, any and all responses are very much appreciated.

simply- put all teams in stage 0 but add seedings to teams.  for teams from top 2 divisions set seeding 0 and for rest 1 or bigger (bigger number will enter earlier in competition).

set rounds properly and thats it

for your super cup problem - just add one more line to teams section: get last runner up of the competition- fa cup

game will use this line if no 2 teams in first 2 lines

The best way to seed teams into a cup round, is when getting teams, start from the top division and work down to the lowest levels, DON'T check randomise teams, and then check the reverse teams box on the main stage panel. As long as you do this, you won't even need to set any seedings, as the game will simply enter the first team(s) in the list first, and the last team(s) last. I suggest putting higher level teams at the top, then reversing the list because the game will get teams at the top of the list before it is reversed first, meaning if you accidentially select too many teams(for instance, you enter 258 teams into a stage of 255), the teams it will cut off will be the lower ranked teams and you won't have to worry about the big teams being left out.

Hi again. 

Once more, thank you to @Dave Fairbairn for your previous suggestion on the cup rounds, that worked like a charm. I have one final round of issues/questions for you guys after I completed all of the rules in my nation. I'm going to organize these into sections as not to throw it all out there at once.

Promotion-Relegation Playoff
My question is, how do you properly set one up? I'm looking to create a promotion/relegation playoff exactly like the ones in Germany and Scotland. I created a second stage in my top division and linked it with my second-highest division under "Other Comps To Add Stage To". Under "Teams", I told the editor to retrieve the 14th-placed team in my top division and the third-placed team in my second division using "Get League Stage Teams (In Final Positions)". I also set it up under "League Settings" for the first stages of both competitions as top and bottom playoffs respectively. Finally, I set 4 fate actions to tell the editor what happens to winning and losing teams dependent on their division. A match does happen on the specified dates, however it happens between the 14th and 15th placed teams in the top division rather than the correct team from the lower division. Nothing really happens after the playoff is complete. I can share screenshots if necessary. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong here and how to fix it.

Stadium Issues
There are numerous problems with stadiums when I run an in-game test. A handful of stadia have had their capacities decreased, including one from 50,000 to 29,000 and another from 26000 all the way down to 500. I'm pretty sure the stadium model remains correct though. Also, some teams are incorrectly sharing stadiums with random teams, and only their reserve teams are assigned to the correct stadium. Once again, I'm pretty sure that the teams actually do play in their correct stadium, but the game treats it as if they're groundsharing with another team. Now, I haven't set any coordinates for stadiums, which will be difficult to do since the place my country "exists" in is in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. So my question is, will these issues be rectified if I set coordinates for the stadiums and cities?

Super Cup and Other Malfunctioning Competition
Basically, my Super Cup does not happen at all. I've set dates and the two teams to be the previous champions of the top division and the main cup, with the league runner-up as a backup. I also definitely set winners for both of these competitions in the database, and they show up in-game on both of the competition screens. Still, the Super Cup competition screen shows the match to be between (blank) v. (blank). Removing the backup runner-up team did not make a difference. I have another competition that doesn't happen, although it's a pretty minor one. Basically, it's a four team straight knockout cup between the military-affiliated teams in the nation. I've retrieved the four teams for the first stage, but somehow the game does not pick up on it, and nothing happens. Again, I'm willing to post screenshots at request. I can probably nix the second one if it proves too much of a hassle to sort out, but I would like to keep the Super Cup and get it working very much. Guidance very much appreciated.

Selecting Teams To Go To Knockout Stages
Two of the regional competitions in my country have to select a certain number of runner-ups because the number of teams requires it to do so to ensure smooth knockout stages. (ex. 30 teams in competition, 6 groups of 5, group winners and two best runner-ups go to quarter-finals). I don't know how to tell the editor how to retrieve the best runner-ups in a group, so to keep it temporarily working, I've just told it to take the top two from each group and it will randomly select runner-ups. Please tell me which settings I need to work with here.

Miscellaneous Country/Newgen Questions
1. Is it in any way possible to change the population of a nation outside of the editor without risking destabilization? If so, how and in which file?
2. How many names and surnames should I create to ensure a diversity in newgen names? A few thousand?
3. If most of the players in a nation have a particular skin color, are newgens more likely to have that skin color?

I know that's a lot to go through, but if you guys can help me out with this stuff and get it working right, I'll be the happiest guy on these forums. I'm really looking forward to moving on in this project! Cheers.

Wow, that's a lot.

Firstly, you should never use get teams by league position unless you want to get these teams while the league is still running, you use should use qualification. Top playoff and bottom playoff in league rules also count as qualification. In this instance, you'd set 1 bottom playoff team in the higher league and 1 top playoff team in the lower league. Should also note, that in the division below, you need to tell the game what their next competition is, unless the game may exclude the team from playing due to being in an unexpected league.

I'll get to the rest later, but I have a feeling the stadium issue may be because you're using 2 different sets of editor data together, and that a lot of the stadiums in the 2 files overlap in unique ID numbers, so if 1 stadium in 1 data set has UID 3 and another in the other file has UID 3, too, then they will share data, as it were, and may end up with combinations of the 2 stadiums.

13 hours ago, Dave Fairbairn said:

Wow, that's a lot.

Firstly, you should never use get teams by league position unless you want to get these teams while the league is still running, you use should use qualification. Top playoff and bottom playoff in league rules also count as qualification. In this instance, you'd set 1 bottom playoff team in the higher league and 1 top playoff team in the lower league. Should also note, that in the division below, you need to tell the game what their next competition is, unless the game may exclude the team from playing due to being in an unexpected league.

I'll get to the rest later, but I have a feeling the stadium issue may be because you're using 2 different sets of editor data together, and that a lot of the stadiums in the 2 files overlap in unique ID numbers, so if 1 stadium in 1 data set has UID 3 and another in the other file has UID 3, too, then they will share data, as it were, and may end up with combinations of the 2 stadiums.

Thanks for answering Dave, but I'm sorry to say that doesn't work.  Error message comes up saying no teams found for stage 1. I specified all necessary elements, nothing's happening. Of course, I may just be misunderstanding you and it's an easy fix, but I'm uploading my file right here for you to speed up the process. The nation is called "Tokaland", so use that when searching for anything. And the Premier League and First Division are the competitions involved in advanced rules.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2dk1okuhivklu08/Tokaland_E80111C7-9A25-4188-97E9-267A7A73E370.fmf?dl=0

I'm not exactly sure what you mean about the stadiums. All of the stadium ID's in the file are indeed unique. Earlier on I did merge the file with another and possibly itself several times, but this was before most of the stadiums were created. All that merging did create some duplication in small lists, but nothing with ID's. Interestingly, when I try to merge the file with the one I used before, it now says "you cannot merge a file with itself" even though they are two separate files.

Eargerly awaiting the rest of your advice, hopefully we can get this all sorted sooner or later.

On 11/26/2016 at 23:40, oriole01 said:

Hi again. 

Once more, thank you to @Dave Fairbairn for your previous suggestion on the cup rounds, that worked like a charm. I have one final round of issues/questions for you guys after I completed all of the rules in my nation. I'm going to organize these into sections as not to throw it all out there at once.

My question is, how do you properly set one up? I'm looking to create a promotion/relegation playoff exactly like the ones in Germany and Scotland. I created a second stage in my top division and linked it with my second-highest division under "Other Comps To Add Stage To". Under "Teams", I told the editor to retrieve the 14th-placed team in my top division and the third-placed team in my second division using "Get League Stage Teams (In Final Positions)". I also set it up under "League Settings" for the first stages of both competitions as top and bottom playoffs respectively. Finally, I set 4 fate actions to tell the editor what happens to winning and losing teams dependent on their division. A match does happen on the specified dates, however it happens between the 14th and 15th placed teams in the top division rather than the correct team from the lower division. Nothing really happens after the playoff is complete. I can share screenshots if necessary. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong here and how to fix it.

Stadium Issues
There are numerous problems with stadiums when I run an in-game test. A handful of stadia have had their capacities decreased, including one from 50,000 to 29,000 and another from 26000 all the way down to 500. I'm pretty sure the stadium model remains correct though. Also, some teams are incorrectly sharing stadiums with random teams, and only their reserve teams are assigned to the correct stadium. Once again, I'm pretty sure that the teams actually do play in their correct stadium, but the game treats it as if they're groundsharing with another team. Now, I haven't set any coordinates for stadiums, which will be difficult to do since the place my country "exists" in is in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. So my question is, will these issues be rectified if I set coordinates for the stadiums and cities?

Basically, my Super Cup does not happen at all. I've set dates and the two teams to be the previous champions of the top division and the main cup, with the league runner-up as a backup. I also definitely set winners for both of these competitions in the database, and they show up in-game on both of the competition screens. Still, the Super Cup competition screen shows the match to be between (blank) v. (blank). Removing the backup runner-up team did not make a difference. I have another competition that doesn't happen, although it's a pretty minor one. Basically, it's a four team straight knockout cup between the military-affiliated teams in the nation. I've retrieved the four teams for the first stage, but somehow the game does not pick up on it, and nothing happens. Again, I'm willing to post screenshots at request. I can probably nix the second one if it proves too much of a hassle to sort out, but I would like to keep the Super Cup and get it working very much. Guidance very much appreciated.

Two of the regional competitions in my country have to select a certain number of runner-ups because the number of teams requires it to do so to ensure smooth knockout stages. (ex. 30 teams in competition, 6 groups of 5, group winners and two best runner-ups go to quarter-finals). I don't know how to tell the editor how to retrieve the best runner-ups in a group, so to keep it temporarily working, I've just told it to take the top two from each group and it will randomly select runner-ups. Please tell me which settings I need to work with here.

1. Is it in any way possible to change the population of a nation outside of the editor without risking destabilization? If so, how and in which file?
2. How many names and surnames should I create to ensure a diversity in newgen names? A few thousand?
3. If most of the players in a nation have a particular skin color, are newgens more likely to have that skin color?

I know that's a lot to go through, but if you guys can help me out with this stuff and get it working right, I'll be the happiest guy on these forums. I'm really looking forward to moving on in this project! Cheers.

On 11/29/2016 at 17:56, oriole01 said:

@KUBI Could you possibly give input on these issues?  And Dave, still no more suggestions? I'd really appreciate it if I wasn't left hanging here.

On 23/05/2016 at 15:47, Dave Fairbairn said:

Grade, when setting up qualifications, and keep in mind you must use advanced rules to do this, set third place to have a different qualification than the first and second placed teams.

For instance(this is an example, and round/stage names will obviously be different for you), if the qualification place for first and second are qualified for "second round", you would set the qualification place for say, "third round" or something. Then in the UEFA Cup stage you want to enter these teams into(obviously making sure that the game makes sure this stage has ended before this stage is made), in the get teams section add "get qualified teams from stage", and set the comp to Champions League, set the stage to the stage number of the CL group round, and for the stage name, you'd use "third round", as well as making the relevant get team routines for any other teams you want to be in this round.

Hi Dave.

I tried this advice for my custom Champions League/Europa League competition and I haven't been able to get it to work yet unfortunately. Basically I couldn't find a way to specifically qualify the 8 third placed Champions League teams to drop into the 2nd group phase of my the Europa League, as the options available were grabbing teams quite sporadically.

I also tried unchecking 'number of top places' and instead checking 'League Fate', and even 'Top Position', but those didn't work either. League Fate has nothing relating to third placed group teams, only 'Qualified'.

UCL 3rd placed drop out 1.png

UCL 3rd placed drop out 2.png

Any chance you can help at all?

On 27.11.2016 at 05:40, oriole01 said:

Hi again. 

Did you load the basic comps files for Germany or Scotland and see how it works? The files are in the editor/data folder.

Stadium Issues

Yes, it's important to set coordinates as those are used in various parts of the game. City and stadium are connected to newgens nationality and a lot more.

I will have a look into the file, when I have time.

This could be probably done with a hidden stage, but I'm not an expert with hidden stages.

1. I don't think so.

2. For smaller nations 300 to 500. But for a good variety it's better to have 1000 to 2000. You could use the file to add key staff to the clubs, referees and also player/nonplayers, as the game does only generate players up to 30. By adding players/nonplayers you will have players between 31 and 40. (You don't need to add the age, the game does generate it)

3. Yes. There is some randomness, but most of the players will have that skin color.

On 12/4/2016 at 14:27, KUBI said:

Did you load the basic comps files for Germany or Scotland and see how it works? The files are in the editor/data folder.

Yes, but replicating it in my file still does not work, the message "No teams found for stage 1" persists. I am completely exhausted as to figuring out how this works, I have messed with just about every setting trying to get it to work properly. Please take a look at the situation in the file when you get the chance. Thanks for the rest of the advice, just make sure you don't forget to look at the pro-rel playoff and the other two comps you said you might be able to check out.

EDIT: The pro-rel settings in the file I uploaded last week are not the ones I was currently trying, I can upload it again if necessary

So i downloaded a database created on Si games... it is a 8 level database and i want to remove promotion and relegation from the top 3 leagues but teams in league 4 can be relegated to lv 5-8 but not promoted to league 3... anyone know where in the editor to remove the promotion/relegation? any help is greatly appreciated

• KUBI locked this topic

Archived