Tempo's Effect on Shooting Accuracy?

It should be said that each mentality has its own default tempo. Just because you have higher tempo selected, doesn't mean it's necessarily high - just higher that the mentality default.

Tempo can affect accuracy as tempo affords players more or less time on the ball before required to do something, ie shoot. A player with poor balance etc should in theory have less time to set himself on a higher tempo. As Bowieinspace said though, it's not a question that has a simple answer.

It should be said that each mentality has its own default tempo. Just because you have higher tempo selected, doesn't mean it's necessarily high - just higher that the mentality default.

Tempo can affect accuracy as tempo affords players more or less time on the ball before required to do something, ie shoot. A player with poor balance etc should in theory have less time to set himself on a higher tempo. As Bowieinspace said though, it's not a question that has a simple answer.

Hmm... I take it as tempo did affect shooting accuracy then. The reason I asked is because recently I was playing with a very high tempo tactic, lots of chances created but the conversion rate is rather low like 8-10 chances only converted 1 to 2 goal so I am wondering if lowering the tempo might help the conversion rate.

I don't know if Tempo by itself really reduces accuracy for shooting. I would think it affects passing more than shooting, as players try to play a quick tempo and thus have less time on the ball before the next pass.

I think mentality affects accuracy more. If you play with an attacking mentality, your team will play more aggressive and take any chance they have, which you can also usually see with the amount of shots you have. In general, this would then result in less accuracy as you have so many wild shots just trying to break down a brick wall.

The lower tempo would probably increase passing % rather than shooting (by itself) but a lower mentality will give your team more patience in general. Maybe Work Ball into Box shout would also provide more patience.

I think in his Art of Attacking thread, Cleon talks about improving accuracy.

I don't know if it improves accuracy, but certainly I will get better chances, if less of them, with a lower tempo, and the opposite with a higher tempo. This is probably because the positions strikers find themselves in isn't always the best but they feel the need to shoot anyway, or the pass to them is less accurate and harder to control etc.

Higher tempo everything is more rushed, shots, passing etc because it's an urgency in play increase. So as more things are rushed the quality becomes poorer, not in all cases but for most parts it is. Higher tempo will see you rush play and force things more and in turn this can see a wide range of things decrease because rushed/faster play isn't always a good thing.

Hmm... I take it as tempo did affect shooting accuracy then. The reason I asked is because recently I was playing with a very high tempo tactic, lots of chances created but the conversion rate is rather low like 8-10 chances only converted 1 to 2 goal so I am wondering if lowering the tempo might help the conversion rate.

You're focusing on the wrong thing. Don't focus on how many shots you have instead focus on the quality of those chances. That is the key thing here regardless of anything else, it's quality not quantity. The more quality chances you create the more you should score.

Higher tempo everything is more rushed, shots, passing etc because it's an urgency in play increase. So as more things are rushed the quality becomes poorer, not in all cases but for most parts it is. Higher tempo will see you rush play and force things more and in turn this can see a wide range of things decrease because rushed/faster play isn't always a good thing.

You're focusing on the wrong thing. Don't focus on how many shots you have instead focus on the quality of those chances. That is the key thing here regardless of anything else, it's quality not quantity. The more quality chances you create the more you should score.

I have view replay and found most of the chances were created within the penalty box and was not set piece chances. Too many 1 on 1 miss after a killer pass, shooting directly to the keeper.

I purposely use a tactic with minimum crosses so most chances are through balls. Couldn't think of anything to tweak yet except changing the tempo...

Archived