[FM09] The Butterfly Effect: A Manchester City Story

JD nawrat

yBtrQ29.png

Hello and welcome to another thread of mine :D

Background - On the final day of the transfer window in 2008, Manchester City owner Thaksin Shinawatra sold the club to an unknown Arabian business man, previously uninvolved in football, known by the name of Sheikh Mansour (bin Zayed bin Sultan bin Zayed bin Khalifa Al Nahyan). The Sheikh's first act as new owner was to make a splash and bring Robinho from Real Madrid to the sky blue half of Manchester for a British transfer record of £32.5M, beating the previous record set earlier that day by Manchester United's in their acquisition of Domitar Berbatov. From that day forward, Manchester City have gone on to claim two Premier League titles, an FA Cup (as well as making the FA Cup final on a separate occasion) and a Capital One Cup, making themselves one of the most successful clubs in English football since their takeover.

So, what? - As a Manchester City fan, I am frustrated by the mundane task of managing City on FM15 (or 10, 11, 12, 13 or 14) because it is, quite frankly, too easy. You start off with a good to brilliant squad and you have loads of money. Yawn. I have lost all of my discs for FM (well, the discs I had, which were 08 to 11 I think) but, thankfully, I have digital versions of each FM going back to FM09, so that is the furthest back I can go with this idea that I have. I have downloaded FM09 back from Steam in order to take a small break from FM15, which I've lost interest in since I made an arse of my Martigues save (I saved over it by accident). Going back to FM09, I have loaded the 9.1 database, which means that I have the squad exactly as it was when the transfer window shut, meaning I do have Robinho, but I don't have Shay Given, Nigel de Jong, Wayne Bridge etc. In fact, this is my starting squad...

93C91F9C2B0F87AED9831CD2E17F8CC69FCF8ACC

Some names there you might look at and think "woah, that's a blast from the past!" - Didi Hamann, anyone? :D But anyway, yes, that's where we're at, squad-wise. The board have given me a £73M transfer budget and a lofty wage of £1.7M (currently spending below £1M).

And your point is? - My point is quite simple. At the time of typing, Manchester City have yet to conquer Europe. On any level. I want to have won the Champions League in FM09 before the present season, meaning that I've got to try and win the CL before 2015. Easy enough with all of that money, I guess. But here's the thing:

1. I am not allowed to repeat any of Manchester City's signings in real life up to date. So I can't go for Sergio Aguero (which is damn shame because he is awesome on FM09), Yaya Touré, Nigel de Jong, not even Roque Santa Cruz, if I wanted to make me hate myself for making horrible signings ;)

2. I am not allowed to break the transfer record of the club, which stands at £32.5M (I'm using the game, not the irl fee which would make it £38M instead) for the aforementioned Robinho.

3. On top of winning the Champions League by 2015, I must also match the club's IRL achievements at the very least, meaning that by 2015 I must have achieved:

Premier League x2

FA Cup x1

League Cup x1

Community Shield x1

Champions League x1

A couple of personal notes:

- FM09 was not a good game for me. For one, I was like 15. When I was 15, I just wanted to sign as many good players as I could and win everything. I don't think I ever had any real success.

- I didn't like the classic tactic creator. I hated it, in fact. I still do :D Back then I would download my tactics - that isn't going to happen this time around.

Updates will come in the form of end of transfer window, end of year, end of January window, end of season etc. In between there might be notable things posted, but otherwise I'll stick to this for the most part I think. So with all of that taken into consideration, I guess I'll get cracking on the save...

Cheers guys!

The season in question, we qualified for Europe thanks to our Fair Play record (IRL we went to the QFs before being eliminated by HSV, it was the last ever UEFA Cup iirc). Fun fact: We played the most amount of games in the competition of any other team that season, because we had to go through so many qualifiers.

Anyway, small update. Tragic news:

F7EA844E8BFB1CADC981F8EFEA07C5EF45590E47

He was my first choice AML, given a free role, and he had been bossing it. Even scored a 50 yard screamer on his debut (against little known side Dacia from somewhere in Eastern Europe).

Will need to try and find someone to replace him, then...

Great way to make a Man City save interesting. Bad news on Robinho. Dacia are Moldovan I believe and 'Dacia' was the Roman name for what's roughly modern Romania.

Thanks :cool: I was trying to think of how I could make one interesting full stop, and when I thought of this I figured I might as well write about it as people might also take interest. Pleased that people have responded positively so far. I'm making slow progress but that's always the case for me at weekends due to work. Hopefully will get flying through the save after Monday.

I thought Dacia were Romanian because of the names of some of their players :o Knew they were definitely Eastern Europe, anyway! I think the final score was 8-1 to us on aggregate so yeah... drew FH (of the Faroe Islands I believe) in the next round, but still not completed both games yet.

Shame about the team you picked :D But will follow this, I loved FM09 myself Kierrison, Marquinhos ect::cool: Wish I could remember my old steam name and password to play it :(

If I weren't a Man City fan I wouldn't even go near this sort of save tbh. I've basically gone down this route because I haven't had a proper, fun City save on an FM since 11 :D

I actually tried to sign Keirrison but his work permit needed appealed and when that came up I sat and thought about whether I really needed him or not. I decided I didn't but after the injury to Robinho, I'm not so sure... Signed a bunch of well known names irl today, will get round to that later tonight hopefully, but if not it'll be sometime tomorrow when I'm watching Fast Lane :D

Michael Johnson :cool:. Good luck JD. This should be interesting. What happens if you don't achieve the success or if you see an amazing youth in a few years time? :D.

Haha yeah, it's a shame because Johnson looks so good and it reminds me of when he was touted as a future England captain. He was awesome for us that season, Mark Hughes even described him as the most promising England player around at some point that season. And now he's like 27, morbidly obese and what talent he had will never come back to him because of some brutal injury problems. A classic case of a player who could have made it if not for injury :thdn:

I'll pretend I didn't see the sly dig at youths ;) But speaking of youths, I still have Daniel Sturridge (which I forgot I would have!) so he's my second choice striker atm because Jo is injured. If I don't achieve the success then I don't achieve it, oh well. I probably won't continue the save past 2015 unless I'm really enjoying it but I don't usually get past 7/8 seasons on any FM so it will be the same with FM09, especially with the outdated appearances and the tactic creator which is awful. :lol:

Archived