ri916's FM15 Youth Academy Challenge

AS Aris Salonika

gD1MTmv.png

2017/18 Season Review

Note to self: the Football Gods do not like hubris. See, e.g., Mourinho, Community Shield, 2015.

Where to begin. Board and supporter expectations were high coming out of the 2016/17 campaign. No matter how much CM/FM I've played, I quite foolishly didn't tamper those expectations. As a result, I sincerely thought I was going to get fired in early October 2017, as my domestic campaign began with 2 losses and 2 draws in my first five matches, only 1 of which was against an even remotely decent side. This, in conjunction with blowing a 2-0 lead at home in the 3rd qualifying round of the Europa League...having to go chase the return leg away in Slovenia to Domzale, of all teams. While we managed to salvage the European campaign, we were absolutely atrocious domestically. Former club greats began to criticize me in the media, and players were in near-open mutiny (quelled only by some fancy talk at a team meeting about our youth policy). Dark days. My chairman, the supporters and the team were clearly not going to be patient.

But, then...all of a sudden, we clicked. We scraped together some wins in Europe, including a 4-1 win away to Slovan Liberec in November that (incredibly) saw us (briefly) go to the top of our Group. That, in the midst of what would turn out to be a 10-match unbeaten run (9 wins, 1 draw) in the Superleague. After a not-so-festive holiday period (3 straight losses in the League), we truly righted the ship in 2018. With 8 matches left, we found ourselves in 2nd, only 2 points off Olympiacos at the top, with the 4 other "big" Greek clubs right on our heels--AEK and Panathinaikos level, 2 points beneath me, PAOK a further 4 points back.

With 5 matches left, we were still 2 points off the pace, the chasing pack of 3 all within 5 points of 2nd. In the next round, Olympiacos draws 2-2 at home to Giannina and we scrape a tight 1-0 win over AEK, after outplaying them all match, leaving us at the top of the table--level on points, but ahead on the tiebreaker (head-to-head, then goal difference). Olympiacos then draws 1-1 away to AEK, leaving the door open for The God of War. We oblige with a 4-1 demolition of Atromitos. Olympiacos won at home to Atromitos in the next round, but we maintained our 2-point lead with an extremely nervy 1-0 win at home over bottom-of-the-table Platanias.

The next round sees Olympiacos travel to Platanias, while we are away to 5th place Panathinaikos. Two first-half goals and a solid defensive effort see us run out with a 2-1 win...only to find that the unthinkable has happened. Olympiacos drew 0-0. We're 4 points clear, with only 1 match left. Champions!!!

From the verge of termination to Superleague champions in 6 months. Unreal. No save will ever match Malmo in terms of my sheer joy, but this is darn close--it has certainly reinforced my renewed love for this game, and inability to ever go back to a bog-standard "be a big club, buy players, win everything, repeat" approach.

Statistically, we showed some solid improvement this year -- we earned more points (2), scored more goals (12) and gave up the exact same amount (32). All while breaking in younger players. Excellent progress.

Now...all that being said. We also had a solid run in the Greek Cup, which saw us complete the domestic double in May with a 10-man, 3-2 win over Panaitolikos.

We also had a solid return to Europe. It was almost over before it truly began, with a 3-2 loss at home (breaking the historic streak) against Domzale...but we managed a dominant 4-1 win in the return leg to earn a tie with Besiktas. We were clinical in the first leg, taking a 4-1 lead to Turkey which allowed us to play on the counter. It worked, as we snatched to goals and never looked back. In the Group Stage, we drew Napoli, AZ and Slovan Liberec, and managed 3 wins to finish second in the group. We played strictly on the counter against AZ and Napoli, parking a bus now and then...to great effect, even if the scorelines against those 2 (1 win, 3 losses) give us more credit than we were due. A favorable draw in the first knockout round (Bursaspor) saw us clinical at home, only to be forced to hang on for dear life on the return leg to go through, 3-2 on aggregate. Sociedad were simply too much for us in the next round, but again we kept it respectable, playing on the counter and maintaining our composure.

Notwithstanding our run in the Europa League, our finances are awful. Well, that's not fair. After all of the prize money and new sponsorship money came in the door, we were able to finance a $3M improvement to our training facilities, leaving us barely in the black.

Individual accomplishments...Vasilis Sybetheris (16G) won Superleague Player of the Year. Two players also earned their first caps: Dimitris Gesios (16F) and Ilias Sabanidis (16A).

This has already been a very long update, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention my youth intake. As noted below, it was a good one -- 5 tagged players. Of which, Stratos Adamos (18B) is easily head-and-shoulders above the rest. Easily the best regen I've had in FM15. He's going to be a monster. Sotiris Langizos (18A) is also very promising, especially given that I'm a bit thin up top. While I could not register either player for the Superleague, both have already debuted, seeing match time in the Europa League and Greek Cup. They will both be in my 2nd XI next season, with Adamos on the subs bench in my first team. Once he retrains as an F9...watch out.

Fun facts: Florentino Perez has left Real Madrid...and taken over Sochaux...who were relegated at the end of the season. I declined his invitation to interview for the manager position in March 2018. Lille have also been taken over by a tycoon.

Zenit managed to win the CL, while also setting a record for goals conceded. They had quite the run through the knockout stages. A very odd combination, to say the least.

Speaking of takeovers, I was asked once about our Chairman potentially moving on, but haven't heard anything further.

Goals for 2018/19: We're seeded into the 3rd round of the Champions Qualifiers. I'd like to make it to the Group Stage, to firm up our finances, but that will depend on how favorable a draw we get. At a minimum, if we get knocked out of the CL, we need to make a run into the EL knockout rounds. Domestically, there is only option--win the League. My 2nd XI will feature in the Greek Cup.

Why? Having recently earned back its 2nd CL spot, next year Greece will now place 1 club automatically into the Group Stage. That has to be our priority. We need the income. While we were able to invest in our training facilities at the end of this year (having already expanded our youth recruitment and increased junior coaching during the season, 1x each), we have a long ways to go in terms of developing our facilities.

I've also allowed many of my senior players' contracts to run down, and will be heavily reliant on youth going forward: there are only 6 non-tagged players in my squad for 2018/19. (At the end of this next season, I'll do a full squad analysis/breakdown with updates on the entire first team, etc.)

Squad | Table | League Overview | Fixtures 1 | Fixtures 2

Greek Cup | Europa League | Best XI | Transfers | Youth Intake

Sotiris Langizos (18A) | Stratos Adamos (18B) | Thomas Oikonomidis (18C) | Panagiotis Papastergios(18D) | Vangelis Tsekeridis (18E)

Challenge Overview:

5csgbay.png

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Need help picking a new country to have a go in. Want to start at quite a low level club (one star rep max) and ideally in a country with reasonably short seasons, but one with still a decent top tier.

Thanks, Bartrcm!

I agree--Ukraine might be right up your alley, Mushtaq. It's a tough balance to find. Sweden has very short seasons, but the top tier might not be of the caliber you're thinking. Just be sure to pick a club that you feel an affinity towards, for whatever reason--the locale, history, club colors, nickname, whatever it might be.

FC Obolon - Premier League - 2017-2018

Predicted: 13th

Actual finish: 5th

This was a very good season. The step up wasn't that big. We lost 2 out of first 3 games, but these 2 losses were against teams that play almost every season in Europe. The good thing was that we eren't overpowered during these losses. After this hard start we start picking up points, and we were never in any relegation battle (the relegated team only managed to earn 13 points). At the midway point we were around the European spots, and that was our next goal. And 2 games beofre the and of the season we sealed 5th place at least and gain so our first goal in Europe. A massive achievement for our small team.

When you take a look at the final standing you will see that Dnipro lost to much money last season, and can't enter Europe next season.

Games

Cup: Lost in the final against Shaktar. We had a very god run in this competition. In the quarter final we lost the first game, and in the return we needed extra times to go through. The semi final was even closer. First leg was a very good 2-2 away draw. In the home game it was also 2-2, and we got a penalty in the last minute of regular time, but we missed. So extra times, but nothing happened. Penalty's would decide if we make our first ever cup final. We won it 9-8.

The final was a very even game, and we were 1-0 and 2-1 up, but we couldn't hold on. 3 minutes before the end Shaktar were in front for the first time 3-2. In the end they deserved this win.

Youth intake: not so good as the previous years, but we did got our first potential star player. Only 4 players were tagged.

Sergiy Starchenko (YP3a): DC, and our first potential star player.

Vadym Shevchenko (YP3b): AMR, at least 1 year in the U19

Sergiy Yesaulov (YP3c): another DC, U19 next season.

Mykyka Kykot (YP3d): GK, U19 next season.

Transfers: None

Finances: Good, but only due to the fact that the board invested €5.5M. Otherwise it would be terrible. Due to these investments we could upgrade our training facilities.

Goals last season:

Top-10: SUCCES

Better finances: SUCCES, but only due to the cash injection of the board.

Goals next season:

European spot

Group stages Europe

Better finances without board investments

Ok, So I'm off out tonight, but I have the weekend to play and update. Hurrah! Though I am of course going to the first Cambridge Utd game of the season. I've got 2 seasons to update and its been pretty special...

Which date should I simulate to, if I want to play in Sweden?

Simulate to December 14th, save your game. Then holiday one day. Teams promote on the 15th. Good luck!

Ok, So I'm off out tonight, but I have the weekend to play and update. Hurrah! Though I am of course going to the first Cambridge Utd game of the season. I've got 2 seasons to update and its been pretty special...

Excellent. Can't wait! Haven't been able to play much...probably won't have my next update out until Sunday. We'll see.

AS Aris Salonika

gD1MTmv.png

2018/19 Season Review

Ok, this is going to be much shorter than usual, as I've written it up completely twice now, only to lose it...

Domestically, we had another tremendous season after a September lull that had me a little concerned. We pulled out of it, though, to go on a 22-match unbeaten run that saw us at the top of the table for all of 2019. While the chasing pack remained close (and we didn't seal the title until the 29th matchday, away to Olympiacos), the title seemed inevitable for much of the season.

In the Greek Cup, I once again played my 2nd XI to make sure that: (1) my youngsters got enough gametime to develop; and (2) to give my 1st XI a slight rest. We went out to Olympiacos in the semifinals, so it is hard to complain about our showing.

In Europe, we knocked off Partizan and Celtic in the playoffs, only to draw a brutal group--Manchester United, Barcelona and Anderlecht. A 1-1 draw at home to the Belgians was followed by absolute disasters away to the Red Devils and Catalans. 5-0 and 8-3, respectively. In both matches, I'd played a counterattacking version of my asymmetric 4-4-2...and it was quite clear that a change was needed. So, for matchdays 4 and 5 I started with my "hold the lead" tactic--a highly defensive 4-1-4-1 that seeks to shut down the opposition, while leaving some freedom to hit them on the break. We managed to pull off a 2-1 win over Barcelona, which was brilliant and totally undeserved. A 1-0 loss to United followed, which was extremely impressive given that we were down to 10 men in the 1st half and they didn't break through until the 82nd minute. A wild 4-4 draw against Anderlecht followed, ensuring that we finished third and moved on to the Europa League knockout rounds. For these matches, the draw saw us at home for 3 consecutive rounds, which allowed me to press hard for a goal in the first 15-20 minutes before reverting to the 4-1-4-1 for the remainder of the match (and the away legs). The strategy paid off handsomely, as we claimed the scalps of Schalke (1-0 on aggregate), Dynamo Kyiv (4-1, agg) and Napoli (5-0, agg). In the semis, we drew Lille which turned out to be a bridge too far. A 1-0 loss in the first leg (away) forced us to chase the tie back home...and chase it we did, completely dominating play but unable to break through. We went out on away goals, 2-2 on aggregate. Tactically, it was an interesting campaign.

All told, a tremendous season that ticked all of the big boxes: (1) win the Superleague; (2) blood my youngsters in the Cup; (3) progress in Europe. The successful continental campaign meant that our coffers were full. After the rumors last season of a possible takeover, negotiations ensued for nearly 6 months...painful. At the end of it all, though, the takeover was completed and the new Chairman invested $8.5M to guarantee our short-term financial security. With direct qualification into the CL Group Stage this coming season, we're in great shape. In the final 6 months of the year, the new Board agreed to my youth development policy and upgrades to our youth facilities, training facilities, junior coaching and youth recruitment. All told, our facilities are in great shape. Financially, we should be set going forward, so developments will continue as frequently as possible.

In terms of individual accolades, Vasilis Sybetheris (16G) won Greek Talent of the Year and Superleague Player of the Year. He is also now Aris' all-time leading league goalscorer, with 52 goals (kind of a low bar...).

In terms of the squad, the future also looks very bright--I tagged 5 players in the 2019 youth intake, several of which look like they could press for the 1st XI given time. Going forward, I will also down to my last 2 non-youth academy players--Mousenikas (still my starting LB) and Gjino in the midfield. Mousenikas has another 1-2 years in the 1st XI, while Gjino will be moved on in the summer of 2020. I know I promised a full-blown squad assessment, but having written it out 2x I'm not in the mood to do it again! Next year.

Fun facts: Evian TG has been taken over by a tycoon, meaning that France is awash with money. Real Madrid won the Treble in 2018/19.

Goals for 2018/19: Expectations are now high, which is the way I like it. Anything less than the Superleague title will be a huge disappointment. In Europe, we need to get to the CL knockout rounds.

Greek Cup | Champions League | Europa League | Best XI | Transfers | Youth Intake

Antonis Antoniadis (19A) | Vasilis Vavalis (19B) | Fotis Grigoriou (19C) | Antonis Tsitlakidis (19D) | Antonis Koutsiadis (19E)

Challenge Overview:

wPQbeXC.png

200px-Formartine_Utd.png

Formartine United | Season Summary | Attempt 1 | Youth Challenge

Manager Profile

Competitions Overview

Division – Scottish League Two

Final Positon – 3rd

Past Positions - Clicky

Petrofac Training Cup Knocked out by Dunfermline in the 3rd round (Entered first round)

League cup - Knocked out by Rangers 1st round (Entered first round)

Scottish cup - Knocked out by Celtic 5th round (Entered 2nd round)

Season Summary

Scottish League Two – Expectation by the board at the beginning of the board eased the pressure to succeed as they only wanted us to remain competitive. Competitive we did, but I didn’t expect the season we had, not even being delusional would I have expected the season we had. We stuck rigidly to an attacking 4-3-1-2, hoping our attacking prowess would negate the lack of talent we had in defence. We played direct and got the ball to our marauding wingbacks to get crosses into the box and for the most part of the season it worked, albeit I think with a bit more due care I think I could have won the League, however, third and two points off the top is nothing to be sniffed at and should set us up nicely for a decent season next season. You can see from the league table above that our attack was superb sitting us joint top scorers in the league and surprisingly our defence finished joint 4th best in the league.

After a patchy start of only winning two of our first six games, regular runs of eight and nine games unbeaten firmly cemented our status as a force to be reckoned with in the league, barring the team coming down isn’t too strong I would expect us to be finishing next season as champions, after the disappointment of losing in the play-off finals.

Cup Competitions

Petrofac Training Cup – Again we were expected to be competitive, so reaching the third round is some achievement, beating league rivals East Fife and Montrose on our run and eventually losing out in extra time to Dunfermline of the Scottish Championship.

Scottish League Cup – Not much to say here, we drew Rangers, though after going two nil up in the game I thought we would be giant killers, though towards the end Rangers superior fitness and quality shone through.

Scottish Cup – My gem of the season. In the second round we drew fellow league two occupants East Fife, who were duly dispatched, setting up a draw with Elgin City who were again sent packing from a penalty in extra time of a replay. In the fourth round we drew League Two opposition again and again we stayed consistent beating them in a replay after drawing the first game. For our lofty over achievement we were awarded Celtic away, all I cared about here was the money and it boosted our finances no end.

Top three players of the season

Cammy Keith – Great name, great player. He romped his way to 34 goals and 16 assists throughout the season, without him we would struggle as it would be difficult to rely on our defence.

Andy Shearer – Due to the nature of our play being so attacking, many times we relied upon our keeper to be in form whilst the defence line was breached, he kept us in countless games collecting 18 clean sheets over the season.

Patrick Henry – My flying right back had a great season infront of goal, collecing 10 goals and also assisting a further 8, he is currently under training to become an attacking central midfielder.

Youth Intake

Not a great deal to shout about this season, but then again I didn’t expect much until the facilities start to get there upgrades, however a few players of note came through, the first being Andrew Meldrum, he has a lot of developing to do yet, but when he was brought into the team he didn’t disappoint with 4 goals and 1 assist. Another player who I like the look of is Steven Stewart, who I am actually training to be my left sided flying full back, but he has a long way to go yet. One of the bigger pluses of the youth intake was that I now have a bench of players to call upon, due to starting the season with only 13 players actually under contract at the club.

Club Overview

As I mentioned above, the finances had a massive boost due to our games versus Celtic and Rangers, this will allow us to start slowly improving the facilities of the club slowly over time. Which, in respect we have already started doing, our Junior coaching budget has been increased and also work has started on improving our Youth facilities. The board have also agreed to allow me to study for my coaching qualifications, having completed my National C License earlier in the season and studying my National B License currently. We were also able to hire some staff into the club to join me and the chairman, we now have a Physio, Assistant manager, 2 Coaches and Head of youth development.

Transfer History - Spick and span, sad seeing the amount of players leaving before I took over though.

Targets and aims - 3 years

1. Starting studying my manager qualifications/badges to National A license. - Ongoing

2. Improve youth facilities at least twice. - Ongoing.

3. Improve training training facilities. - Still to start.

4. Turn professional. - Still to start.

5. Gain promotion to Scottish league 1. - Ongoing.

Club Competition History

[b][u]Season          Division                    Final Position           Cups                    Noteworthy Comments [/u][/b]
  1             Scottish league 2              3rd                     N/A                   Lost in the playoff final

Excellent first season, Kamakazee! Getting out of the bottom division in Scotland has seemed to be very challenging for some in recent attempts, so best of luck next season!

Your team is looking splendid also mate, your takeover should see you make steady progress over the next few seasons :)

Yeah I've seen that, I haven't done anything special with the team so far, set up a solid tactic playing to our strengths and letting it play out with minimal changes. The quality of our squad and others in the league I dont think it would make much difference, hoping for another big draw against the big clubs in cups this season :)

Thanks, Kamakazee. I think that the takeover probably accelerated my progress by 1 year, as that $8.5M roughly represents net profit from a successful season in Europe. I'm on that track already, but it ensured that there will be no delays in upgrading facilities/etc as my existing squad develops. All told, it's a good position to be in.

In terms of your approach--you're spot on. You don't need high PA players to advance or succeed in this challenge. You need to have a solid, base tactic that is flexible enough to accommodate the deficiencies inherent in a YA-only squad with minimal changes. This still sums it up for me, FWIW:

Regarding tactics, my personal view is that you have zero chance of completing this challenge without some knowledge of both tactics (in game) and developing youth. You will never have a squad full of world-beaters. Never. So, you need to know how to set up tactically, how to tweak those tactics to match the skills of your squad, and how to develop players to meet the demands of your tactics. That is how a club of mid-level players beats the giants, consistently.

Also, it isn't enough to just download a tactic from somewhere. Sure, your base tactic might be strong, but if you don't know WHY it is successful, you'll never be able to: (1) tweak it pre-game to meet an opponent's strengths or exploit their weaknesses; (2) make adjustments during games to match the ever-changing approach taken by your opposition, or to press the advantage without exposing yourself; (3) how to approach player development to maximize the attributes your players need; and, (4) how to adjust the tactic to compensate for the weaknesses in your team that will NECESSARILY exist in a youth academy challenge. *snip*

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok, to set the stage, its December 2019. We've had a solid run in Europe, having drawn Tottenham, Valencia and Sampdoria in the Group Stages.

After an away win over Sampdoria, we caught the Spaniards napping in Salonika leaving us with an astonishing 6 points. (We played a counter asymmetric 4-4-2 against the Italians, and the defensive 4-1-4-1 against Valencia.) 2 straight losses to Tottenham followed, as they were substantially better than us. A home loss to Sampdoria on the 5th matchday meant that we were still stuck on 6 points, in 3rd place. Tottenham was on top of the group with 12 points, Valencia in 2nd with 7 and Sampdoria with 4. So, we weren't guaranteed a spot in the Europa League, but it seemed like the most likely outcome as Tottenham was unlikely to lose in Italy.

Well...our trip to the Mestalla was insane. We played the defensive 4-1-4-1 from the first whistle and twice went behind, only to fight back with goals from indirect free kicks. In the 90th minute, with the clock winding down, we pounded the ball deep into the Valencian half to ease pressure...thinking that we had 3rd place locked up. Only for the absolutely absurd to happen. Insane.

[video=youtube_share;NzucvYmaQes]

The final scoreline and stats. With that, we're through to the CL knockout rounds. Incredible.

Thanks, Kamakazee. I think that the takeover probably accelerated my progress by 1 year, as that $8.5M roughly represents net profit from a successful season in Europe. I'm on that track already, but it ensured that there will be no delays in upgrading facilities/etc as my existing squad develops. All told, it's a good position to be in.

In terms of your approach--you're spot on. You don't need high PA players to advance or succeed in this challenge. You need to have a solid, base tactic that is flexible enough to accommodate the deficiencies inherent in a YA-only squad with minimal changes. This still sums it up for me, FWIW:

Yeah im pretty much the same situation as i didnt expect the windfall from celtic which has allowed me to improve my facilities and do my badges.

I kind of echo your thoughts to a degree, I think you do need to have a tad knowledge to set up a solid base tactic and on youth development. However, i do feel people over complicate this game alot, im not tinker in terms of tactics and barely make changes to team instructions, i just find it easier to adjust the mentality and it seems to do the job for me. Some times people chase the perfect tactic, when in respect the perfect tactic doesnt exist, every tactic is different, and in my eyes the only way to achieve anything near a perfect tactic (if you want to call it that) is when the tactic creates your vision of how you expect it to play out and what you want too see. But, yeah i do feel this is a masssively simple game that is easy to over achieve on if people treat it simply.

blekitni_stargard_2.png

2026/27 Season 12

League Table ~ Group Stage ~ Finances ~ Squad ~ Facilities ~ Transfers

Younth Intake 12

Fijalkowski 12a

Kedziora 12b

Wdowiak 12c

Kreft 12d

Zieba 12e

Maziarz 12f

2027/28 Season 13

League Table ~ Group Stage ~ Finances ~ Squad ~ Facilities ~ Transfers

Younth Intake 13

Paczuk 13a

Banczyk 13b

Szewczyk 13c

Boring season nothing is really happening noo good intakes + everyone want fly the club ;D I cant upgreat my fac since my idiot chairmans just start upgreat stadium over and over. Chilling until I will able to play in Europe that will be game changing fact.

I kind of echo your thoughts to a degree, I think you do need to have a tad knowledge to set up a solid base tactic and on youth development. However, i do feel people over complicate this game alot, im not tinker in terms of tactics and barely make changes to team instructions, i just find it easier to adjust the mentality and it seems to do the job for me. Some times people chase the perfect tactic, when in respect the perfect tactic doesnt exist, every tactic is different, and in my eyes the only way to achieve anything near a perfect tactic (if you want to call it that) is when the tactic creates your vision of how you expect it to play out and what you want too see. But, yeah i do feel this is a masssively simple game that is easy to over achieve on if people treat it simply.

I don't disagree with any of this. Small changes are the key -- big swings in mentality, formation, team/player instructions, etc will kill your squad (unless they're in-line with a tactic you've trained to fluidity). Tweaks to suit are all you need, once you have a solid base to work from (that isn't based on some ME exploit).

In terms of a "near perfect tactic," it is totally in the eyes of the beholder. If you've read back further in the thread, you'll see that I've got a serious love affair with a possession-based 4-3-3/2-3-2-3 that plays beautiful footie when the club is technically proficient enough to manage it. After winning the CL with IFK Malmo, I switched over to it fully and got back to the CL final the next season. It is a very demanding tactic, though. It's why I set up my training regime so heavily on technical development! Even in a less demanding tactic, the payoff is huge.

I don't disagree with any of this. Small changes are the key -- big swings in mentality, formation, team/player instructions, etc will kill your squad (unless they're in-line with a tactic you've trained to fluidity). Tweaks to suit are all you need, once you have a solid base to work from (that isn't based on some ME exploit).

In terms of a "near perfect tactic," it is totally in the eyes of the beholder. If you've read back further in the thread, you'll see that I've got a serious love affair with a possession-based 4-3-3/2-3-2-3 that plays beautiful footie when the club is technically proficient enough to manage it. After winning the CL with IFK Malmo, I switched over to it fully and got back to the CL final the next season. It is a very demanding tactic, though. It's why I set up my training regime so heavily on technical development! Even in a less demanding tactic, the payoff is huge.

I think your right in the sense that it all lies in the eyes of the beholder, some people will see changes that need to be made as a change of TI, some people have three tactics set up. I like to just change mentality, but the majority of the time i dont feel i need to change anything, if something has got me winning, why cant it be sufficient to see a game to the finish? It boils down to what your comfortable with.

I like to make my game in a sense "narrative", so i tend to base my save around a historic tactic or approach. This save i am basing around Jock Stein losely. Im believer anything can work in the game as long as its logical.

Very cool approach. I agree that the narrative in your head is important for multiple reasons, not the least of which being enjoyment! Malmo had that for me, as does my current Aris save.

It also one reason why my St. Neots save fell off when I was 3/4 of the way through my first season in the PL. What club in the top-half of the PL, making more than $10M/month in television revenue alone, would even dream of adhering to a strict youth-academy only approach? That cognitive dissonance can exist in other countries, but to a much smaller extent because the fire-hose of cash isn't there.

Back to tactics -- do you just have one tactic in place for training, or three versions--each with different mentality? The latter would prevent a drop-off in fluidity when you switch in-game. I've got 3 that I train: (1) my base asymmetric 4-4-2 (standard mentality); (2) a tweaked version of the base tactic, intended to break down packed defenses (control mentality, different team instructions; and (3) my defensive 4-1-4-1 to shut down a match in late stages. I'll tweak team instructions during the game, depending on how the opposition is set up, if I'm playing my 1st/2nd XI, and/or as circumstances change. I also have saved (but not in my 3 main tactics) a counter-attacking version of my 4-4-2 that remains very fluid, because there are only a few differences between it and my base tactic--I just find it quicker to switch to that tactic directly, instead of making the 4-5 changes manually. Less clicks!

With the 4-3-3/2-3-2-3 that I will ultimately try to implement in Greece, I train 3 different versions that have the same shape, but slightly different mentalities, team instructions and individual player roles. I will start each match with one of the three, depending on how the opposition is lined up and if we are home or away, and tweak from there.

if something has got me winning, why cant it be sufficient to see a game to the finish?

I meant to say that this all depends on the circumstances, for me. The AI has improved, such that in a close game teams will press to find an equalizer/etc. So, for me, it is about anticipating (or seeing) a tactical shift from the opposition and reacting to it. Does it always work? No. Is it necessary? Maybe, maybe not. Do I feel like a moron when I'm up by a goal, don't make some adjustments to counter and give up an equalizer? Absolutely!

In the end, though, it does boil down to what you're comfortable with and the style/approach you're taking. The "club DNA" approach is absolutely the way I like to play -- you have a philosophy of sorts, whatever it may be, that pervades everything your'e doing--tactics, youth development, transfer policy, etc.

I meant to say that this all depends on the circumstances, for me. The AI has improved, such that in a close game teams will press to find an equalizer/etc. So, for me, it is about anticipating (or seeing) a tactical shift from the opposition and reacting to it. Does it always work? No. Is it necessary? Maybe, maybe not. Do I feel like a moron when I'm up by a goal, don't make some adjustments to counter and give up an equalizer? Absolutely!

In the end, though, it does boil down to what you're comfortable with and the style/approach you're taking. The "club DNA" approach is absolutely the way I like to play -- you have a philosophy of sorts, whatever it may be, that pervades everything your'e doing--tactics, youth development, transfer policy, etc.

But in my head, if im winning and the opposition have gone attacking and putting pressure on you, why would you change your game to try and contain and invite that pressure on you? The way i play i envisage a style i want to play and i dont deviate away from that style, or i start to lose sight of what i want my team to be.

But yeah i totally agree with that, it all boils down to managerial style and what you feel comfortable with. I think in this challenge more than most you need to have DNA and style, as you cant go out and sign players to suit styles etc... You have got to have system where you can revamp a club to imprint your style so every player suits.

I wonder if I shouldnt start in new country im geting bored here and no progres at all... 2 critical mistake (upgreat training fac exept youth and not seling Pietras for 1,7 ml that allow me do same) made my game very though... Well I can struggle by the year to improve that I can but its geting harder and harder what you think? (PS anyone steam id?)

I wonder if I shouldnt start in new country im geting bored here and no progres at all... 2 critical mistake (upgreat training fac exept youth and not seling Pietras for 1,7 ml that allow me do same) made my game very though... Well I can struggle by the year to improve that I can but its geting harder and harder what you think? (PS anyone steam id?)

Only you can make that call, Sn00gle, and it isn't an easy one. Once you get into Europe, you'll progress like crazy. The only question getting over the hump! Either way, I'm looking to the updates.

AS Aris Salonika

gD1MTmv.png

2019/20 Season Review

Well, the cat is already out of the bag in terms of how this season went in Europe. We fought our way into the Group Stages and miraculously found our way through to the knockout rounds, thanks to a ball cannoning off Vasilis Sybetheris’ noggin at top speed. We drew PSG, which meant we’d have to hold on for dear life. We played a 4-1-4-1 in the first leg and managed to keep a clean-sheet, snatching a 1-0 win off a free kick. The return leg to Paris was a different story, as we managed to shut the game down but giving away early penalty sealed our exit even after PSG were reduced to 10 men. The stats make it look closer than it felt, that’s for sure. We went out 2-1 on aggregate, which is a very respectable showing.

Domestically, we were even more rampant than before and the title was never in doubt. We set club records for points (81; only 9 dropped all season, 10 more than our previous best), goals scored (84, 5 more than our previous best) and goals against (18, 12 less than our previous best). Our players are starting to get attention from overseas—thankfully nothing too serious, and no one’s head has been turned. Charis Potouridis (17A), my starting RB, has gotten more than a little demanding in terms of salary, though. Not a good sign. More on the squad below.

My 2nd XI did me proud again in the Greek Cup. Our 7-0 1st leg demolition of Panathinaikos in the semis was a particular treat. An absolute annihilation, which was only made sweeter by a 4-2 demolition of Olympiacos in the final – the game was in the balance until they drew a red card in the 71st minute, which allowed us to completely control the match from then on, reclaiming our title after a 3 straight goals in extra time put the match to bed.

Individual accolades: Vasilis Sybetheris (16G) continued his run, bringing home the Greek Player of the Year again, and Top Goalscorer. (Note: the additional goals scored by Athanasiadis for Ergotelis were in the European Places Playoff)

Our finances are in tremendous shape, which led to further development of our youth and training facilities (to be completed in the fall of 2020). In early June, the Board further agreed to increase spending on junior coaching and expand our youth recruitment efforts. Good stuff!

Our youth intake was very underwhelming this year (I only tagged 2 players), but I really can’t complain. All told, the squad is in tremendous shape if I can keep it together. I did have an Argentinean national in my youth intake, David Tzellos, but he was awful. There was no way I could justify giving him a full-time contract, even if my HOYD thought he warranted a youth contract. Still, an interesting part of the intake.

Fun facts: A "mystery tycoon has been lurking around in France, eyeing up Toulouse and St. Etienne. Neither takeover went through, but it interesting given that Lille and Evian TG have already seen tycoon takeovers in the last 2-3 years. Jose Mourinho was sacked by Arsenal, following his dismissal from both Chelsea and Manchester United. Things aren't going well for Teh Special One.

Goals for 2018/19: Win the Superleague; improve on our points total, goals scored, and goals against metrics. Qualify for the CL knockout rounds again. Win the Greek Cup with my 2nd XI.

Greek Cup | Champions League | Best XI | Transfers | Youth Intake

Fotis Kavalieratos (20A) | Lakis Vrachnos (20B)

Challenge Overview:

oJ06BqP.png

Squad Review

Goalkeepers

Menelaos Diallas (16C) | Lefteris Tsartsidis (17H)

Diallas has been my starter for several seasons now, and is my captain. He is in no danger of losing the No. 1 spot to Tsartsidis or any of my youth prospects.

Defenders

Dimitris Mousenikas | Dimitris Gesios (16F) | Charis Potouridis (17A) | Alexis Maros (17B) | Jorgo Curri (17E) | Fotis Solomonidis (17F) | Thomas Oikonomidis (18C) | Panagiotis Papastergios (18D) | Vasilis Vavalis (19B)

Maros (17B) took over for club legend Mousenikas this season in my first XI. From a sentimental perspective, it’s a true shame because Mousenikas was a regen from the first season, but (in my view) doesn’t count as a tagged player. He stepped up early and often in this save, as demonstrated by his 3 straight POTY awards. But, there’s no room for sentiment. Gesios, Curri and Potouridis make up the rest of my starting back 4. I think Vavalis will eventually supplant Potouridis at RB, which is a key position in my tactic—requiring a true wingback who can push forward into space yet defend competently. Potouridis’ wage demands are far, far above and beyond what anyone else is asking for and I get the feeling he’ll get itchy feet in the next year or so. I’m very fortunate to have a few players who can chuck in long throws, too—a great addition to the arsenal.

Midfielders

Klodian Gjino | Ilias Sabanidis (16A) | Theofilos Podas (16B) | Dimitris Tsimikas (16D) | Christos Chatzipavlidis (16E) | Lefteris Zachariadis (17C) | Thomas Ntosis (17D) | Stratos Adamos (18B) | Fotis Grigoriou (19C) | Antonis Tsitlakidis (19D)

The all-stars here are Sabanidis, Podas, Chatzipavlidis and Adamos. I’ve been playing Adamos up front as one of my F9s, and he’s done relatively well. He’s developing slowly but surely. A superstar in the making. Tsimikas is my dead-ball expert, but seems to disappear in matchs sometimes – he’s either on or off, there seems to be no in between. He had a massive, 10-point loss of determination earlier in the season, due to off-the-pitch issues, which is likely affecting things. Very frustrating. Ntosis has been a super-sub, and seems to pop up with big (if not many) goals. I’ve got extremely high hopes for Tsitlakidis, as he doesn’t necessarily look great in terms of his technical stats, but he can play up front or wide-left…his flair does wonders in the Superleague. Hopefully he’ll keep developing. Grigoriou…he’s a tiny little bugger with the heart of a lion, but if I am able to implement my 4-3-3-/2-3-2-3, he’ll anchor the midfield like a champ. Until then, he’ll see time at RB and CM. Gjino is the “old man” of the team, and a definite backup at this juncture. Sadly, he wants $6k/week to sit on the bench, so I won’t be renewing his contract.

Forwards

Vasilis Sybetheris (16G) | Lefteris Pamlidis (17G) | Sotiris Langizos (18A) | Antonis Antoniadis (19A)

Honestly, Sybetheris finds the back of the net but is less consistent than I would like. Still, he’s my best forward in terms of product on the pitch. Pamlidis has fantastic stats but rarely seems to perform to his abilities…he disappears in matches and blows some big chances. Immensely frustrating, and he needs a good season. Langizos has bags of potential…this next year should be his year to really break through. If I move Adamos back into the midfield, they’d both see more time. Antoniadis is comfortably the weakest of this bunch. If someone would break through from the youth ranks, I wouldn’t have much problems dropping him.

Overall Thoughts

We are and will remain dominant domestically, unless a mass exodus/revolt occurs. We are clearly in over our heads in Europe, though. Our success thus far has been a combination of “park the bus” tactics (which I detest) and sheer good fortune (even with me instructing the team to always close down the opposition keeper, there’s no way Sybetheris’ winner against Valencia was anything but luck!). I don’t want to get through by the skin of my teeth. We need to dominate. I suspect that only 2-3 of my current squad will feature in any CL-winning side, and that another 5-6 years will be necessary to build up the side. We’ll see!

To be fair, Sn00gle, my facilities likely were of a higher standard than yours at the outset!

Perhaps taking a crack in another country will bring you some joy, like you thought. Before taking over Aris, I almost started again in Spain as I'm still bitter about sacked at SD Logrones after a takeover, even though we were in 6th! Great facilities, and a 16k stadium at the outset. Granted, it's a higher standard than Poland but Spain or Portugal could be a good shout.

Edit: All that being said, after this run with Aris ends (one way or another!) I'm almost certain to head back to Spain. Unfinished business!

Thanks, my friend. Bucketloads of cash! Approximately $15M in prize money...with messages saying $14M in TV revenue that was less than apparent. Regardless, the proceeds already funding youth/training facility upgrades, as well as increased junior coaching and expanded youth recruitment; followed by a stadium expansion and further youth recruitment (as part of contract negotiations).

200px-Formartine_Utd.png

Formartine United | Season Summary | Attempt 1 | Youth Challenge

Clicky

Petrofac Training Cup Won the final against St. Johnstone. (Entered first round)

League cup - Knocked out by Dundee 2nd round (Entered first round)

Scottish cup - Knocked out by Hamilton Semi Final (Entered 2nd round)

Season Summary

Scottish League Two – Again the boards expectations weren’t too lofty, which eased the pressure, especially after reaching the playoffs last season. I expected this season to present much more of a challenge for us to struggle to even contend at the top of the league, but somehow we managed to go up as champions. We started the league brilliantly and in the first half of the season we embarked on a run which involved in only one loss in all competitions throughout our first 26 games. After our blistering start our second half of the season wasn’t as straight forward but we were never in danger of losing the league due to our first half performance and we saw the season out professionally. Again we stuck religiously to our 4-3-1-2 formation which served us so well last season.

Cup Competitions

Petrofac Training Cup – Again we were expected to be competitive, and asked not to embarrass ourselves too much, but somehow we managed to complete a league and cup double, admittedly the training cup finished early in the season, however a fantastic achievement none the less. Was the win a fluke? Hard to say to be honest, but we did beat some bigger teams on the way notably Hamilton who beat us in the Scottish Cup.

Scottish League Cup – Nothing much to shout about here, we slipped past Falkirk in our first draw, but were utterly outclassed by Dundee in the next round, who taught us a football lesson in all fairness.

Scottish Cup – As I said last season, my gem of the season, something which this season I hold higher than my achievements in the other cup win and league win. Again we drew some much bigger teams, taking impressive scalps such as a Aberdeen and again taunting St. Johnstone. Once we reached the semi final, we were again totally outclassed, but I can’t grumble, we were non-league 2 years ago. Our cup run also massively helped our finances as we are bleeding money throughout the season.

Top three players of the season

Cammy Keith – All fears of him being able reproduce his form from last season were quickly eradicated, he fired us to the League title and some impressive cup runs with some style. A massive player in the team, however he is starting to attract interest from other clubs.

Patrick Henry – Flying wingback last season, he has now been trained to central midfield and it was a masterstroke as his direct running and pace through the centre of the pitch caused our opponents no end of problems.

Gavin Robertson – My new young right back, who in all honesty I didn’t hold much up for, but he slotted in with ease and was steady if not outstanding, he didn’t have hardly any bad games. A steady player which all teams need.

Youth Intake

Much better youth intake overall than last season, however I am disappointed with the lack of centre forward prospects I have in the squad at the moment. However, we inherited two great youth players who play defence, the first Murray McCrorie, once I get chance to work on his marking he looks to have the potential to be fantastic centre back for this club, he is also very versatile being able to play along the whole back line, which should increase his chance to play more games. The second prospect in defence comes in the form of Callum Robertson, again he looks well rounded and with a bit of work looks like he could be a great defensive option in years to come, but none the less a great back up and offers rotation we have never had. The final option who came in and someone who I am really excited about is Steven MacGregor, if this lad fills his potential he could be the player my system has been missing, but for now he slots in straight away to aid his development.

Club Overview

Following on from last season, the finances again got a massive boost from cup runs and promotion, which I hope will improve our attendance figures at games which at the moment stands at a measly 220 on average. In reference to the facilities, the youth upgrade was completed early into the start of the year and the junior coaching budget was again improved which over time will reach adequate. My next aim is to hopefully get the training facilities improved as they are the only part I haven’t touched yet, due to the financial costs. The board have allowed me to continuing studying my coaching badges and I have currently just this season acquired my National A license, I have also massively revamped and improved my coaching set up.

Transfer History – Again clean as the Queens **** bowl.

Targets and aims - 3 years

1. Starting studying my manager qualifications/badges to National A license. – Completed.

2. Improve youth facilities at least twice. - Ongoing.

3. Improve training facilities. - Still to start.

4. Turn professional. - Still to start.

5. Gain promotion to Scottish league 1. - Completed.

Thoughts for next season

I hope to stay in the league and start to stockpile some money as we really need to turn professional so I can get the players on full time training sessions. Again I am going to keep faith in the same 4-3-1-2 tactic i started with as its served me tremendously so far and continue to integrate the youth players and off load the players i started with. Hopefully if we are lucky we can again do well in the cups, but i am expecting a much tougher league campaign this time round, so cups arent the priority.

Club Competition History

[b][u]Season          Division                    Final Position           Cups                    Noteworthy Comments [/u][/b]
  1             Scottish league 2              3rd                     N/A                   Lost in the playoff final
  2             Scottish League 2              1st                     Training Cup          Won SL2, Training Cup

Thanks, my friend. Bucketloads of cash! Approximately $15M in prize money...with messages saying $14M in TV revenue that was less than apparent. Regardless, the proceeds already funding youth/training facility upgrades, as well as increased junior coaching and expanded youth recruitment; followed by a stadium expansion and further youth recruitment (as part of contract negotiations).

Man I can only dream about those figures atm, should fast track your club growth massively though :)

225px-Afan_Lido_FC.svg.png

Afan Lido 2023/24 Season

League Table ~ Domestic Cups ~ Champions League ~ Europa League ~ Facilities ~ Youth Intake ~ Welsh Development

Ok so finally some updates from me to come! Its been a while, sorry about that. So firstly, the 23/24 season, where on the domestic front you can see we dominated with the exception of a shock defeat in the League Cup. We struggled in a tough CL group but managed to finish 3rd. We made it all the way to the Europa League final, knocking out Real Madrid on the way. However it was not to be, we plugged our way into extra time against a superior Leverkusen, but we ended up down to 7 men and lost. . We had a decent youth intake, Sam Grant being the main one to shout about. Jason Hulse is worth a mnetion, but he will struggle to fit our system in the long run.

Afan Lido 2024/25 Season

League Table ~ Domestic Cups ~ Champions League ~ Facilities ~ Finances ~ General Info ~ CL Final ~ Best 11

24/25 turned out to be the season for us! We massively over achieved and managed to win the Champions League. We scraped through the group stages finishing 2nd behind Juve but had a kind draw against Wolfsburg, followed by Marseille in the Quarter Final. We faced a big test in the Semi Final against Chelsea but a clean sheet at home saw us progress through on away goals. Madness! The final against Atletico was a tight affair, but we managed to dominate possession and ended up with a 2-1 win. After 10 years managing Lido, we had found ourselves as Champions of Europe!! The biggest change I made this season was to a 4-1-2-3-0, a strikerless variation of my tactic that is based a lot more around possession, outnumbering the midfield and drawing opposition defences out of position with the 3 AMCs. It has worked a treat and with a weak squad, relatively speaking (see below), we have completed the challenge way before I expected to. I have continued with this save and there is a big surprise coming in the next season which has helped me keep my motivation.

*Edit* The youth intake was poor this season hence no screenshots.

The Tactic & Squad

z9B5c2W.png

First 11: - Harries 20F, Robinson 20C, Morris 21A, Taylor 17B, Grant 24A (missing SS), Lynch 19A, Green 20A , Phillips 20B, Osbourne 21B, Mountain 23A, Martin 17A

Subs: - Harries 17C, Richards 19C, Waters 20E, Kinsey 19B, Saunders 16A, Lewis 20D

Afan Lido 25/26 Season - Son of a Legend

League Table ~ Domestic Cups ~ Champions League ~ CWC ~ Youth Intake ~ Joel Page 26A ~ Page Info

Another special season. On the field, we became club champions of the World and reached the CL Semi Final, although we were trounced 5-1 by Man City. However the most significant factor to this being a special season was one that popped up in the intake. I had a son come through. Yes, that's right, a SON! It looks like he has all the ability to become truly exceptional as well.

I am now a season and a half on from this point and I can confirm that he is turning into one hell of a player. Would you like to read updates still on this save?

Archived