Do players seem insistent on 3 year contracts now?

I dunno if it's since the patch or was always like this on FM14 but it's real struggle to convinve players to sign on for longer than that, anyone else noticed?

A difficult thing t notice to be honest. Could just be a coincidence?

Can't say I've noticed - just got a new youngster in on an eight year deal (five initially plus three optional for the club) - had to pay him an extra couple of hundred a week to get him to do the last two years.

Long-term contracts are definitely a lot more difficult to hand out. It seems okay to give them to players already on your books, but players you're trying to sign aren't keen.

I have some players who will only sign on for "end of the following season" and some will sign for 4 years. I prefer to keep them on 2-3 year "rolling" contracts, just in case a better replacement might come along through the youth teams I'm not committed for years.

It's been like that since FM13 IIRC. Unless you give them more money or bonuses they won't take longer contracts than what their agents first negotiate. Actually makes sense though. Why would a young player lock himself into a long term contract of he's improving?

FYI I've never seen this happen with key players and it's fairly easy to add an extra year with first team players. Hot prospects and backups will laugh in your face.

Long-term contracts are definitely a lot more difficult to hand out. It seems okay to give them to players already on your books, but players you're trying to sign aren't keen.

Changing the length of the contract either way, either shorter or longer, is exceedingly difficult in my experience. I can change pretty much everything else but if they propose three years or five years or one year, that is what they want - nothing else. Changing a 30 year old's 5-year demand to a 3-year contract requires me to lock it at 3 years and if he does not withdraw from talks he counters with a doubling (or more) of his wage demands.

I am curious why SI considers the contract's running time of such importance to the player and his agent, in FM14 and not before?

Changing the length of the contract either way, either shorter or longer, is exceedingly difficult in my experience. I can change pretty much everything else but if they propose three years or five years or one year, that is what they want - nothing else. Changing a 30 year old's 5-year demand to a 3-year contract requires me to lock it at 3 years and if he does not withdraw from talks he counters with a doubling (or more) of his wage demands.

I am curious why SI considers the contract's running time of such importance to the player and his agent, in FM14 and not before?

It actually makes sense he's asking for double. A 30 year old is probably on his last multi-year contract so he cares about the money (younger players care about the flexibility - ie. not being locked into long contracts when developing). If a 30 year old player is asking for a 5 year contract at 6M/year, then the 3 year equivalent is starts at 10M/year.

It actually makes sense he's asking for double. A 30 year old is probably on his last multi-year contract so he cares about the money (younger players care about the flexibility - ie. not being locked into long contracts when developing). If a 30 year old player is asking for a 5 year contract at 6M/year, then the 3 year equivalent is starts at 10M/year.

The result is of course a no year contract at zero millions a year ;)

Archived